Agree that iOS is not clunky, at least not on the 6s line (can't speak to before that). However just because Android has the marketshare, does not make it the most popular. Most of the world cannot afford iOS devices, and most Android devices sold and cheap low end devices with an ASP of $249, where Apples ASP is over $600. If you gave most of those low end Android users the choice between an iPhone and an Android phone side by side at the same price, what would they choose? Probably iPhone. People with the means choose iPhone over high end Android, and sales of high end devices show this.
    Who cares? I could buy any phone I want but the iPhone doesn't interest me at all. If you want to follow the crowd, by all means buy an iPhone. If you want to make an educated decision about phones based on features and costs, that is only possible in Android land.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-15 09:01 AM
    But... it's running google!
    10-22-15 09:01 AM
    I think I'll just wait for Sony Xperia 5 or Lumia 950 to come to Canada.

Priv price is very disappointing.
    10-22-15 09:02 AM
    This device is priced to make a profit at low volumes. He's not making that many devices so he's not planning on selling a ton. Basically, take the entire group of people that you wanted to him to sell the Priv to and rank in order from price insensitive to price sensitive. Now cut out the bottom 80%. There's John Chen's Priv target market.

Later on, he will say that the Priv was profitable on a per-unit basis but the hardware division, as a whole, lost money.
    10-22-15 09:02 AM
    This device is priced to make a profit at low volumes. He's not making that many devices so he's not planning on selling a ton. Basically, take the entire group of people that you wanted to him to sell the Priv to and rank in order from price insensitive to price sensitive. Now cut out the bottom 80%. There's John Chen's Priv target market.

Later on, he will say that the Priv was profitable on a per-unit basis but the hardware division, as a whole, lost money.
    I'm a supporter of Chen...but that just seems like the dumbest plan..
    10-22-15 09:04 AM
    He's looking to sell 5 million phones, not 50 million. He's not trying to be everything to everyone right now.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-15 09:05 AM

5 Million is hardly low volume.
    10-22-15 10:28 AM
    At that price, he'll probably only sell 500,000.
    christausky and dejanh like this.
    10-22-15 10:29 AM
    If he had priced it more competitively, say $700CAD, I can say for a fact that there would have been 4 purchases of the Priv (despite its awful name) from this end.

But $950CAD for that? Not a chance.

Praise be unto our Lord, Squircle | Passport SQW100-1/10.3.2.2339
    dejanh likes this.
    10-22-15 10:30 AM
    5 Million is hardly low volume.
    5 million is the total number of the handsets he wants to sell per year. That's mostly legacy devices and is half of what he previously said he needed to be profitable on handsets. If he achieves this it would be less than a third of what LG and Lenovo each produce.
    10-22-15 10:49 AM
    5 million is the total number of the handsets he wants to sell per year. That's mostly legacy devices and is half of what he previously said he needed to be profitable on handsets. If he achieves this it would be less than a third of what LG and Lenovo each produce.
    If Chairman Chen thinks legacy devices are going to continue to sell in 2016, then he's a bigger 1d10t then any of us imagined!

Posted via CB10
    10-22-15 11:10 AM
    Who cares? I could buy any phone I want but the iPhone doesn't interest me at all. If you want to follow the crowd, by all means buy an iPhone. If you want to make an educated decision about phones based on features and costs, that is only possible in Android land.

Posted via CB10
    I made an educated decision and went iPhone 6s plus when the videos leaked on the Priv running Android. The total package of software, build quality, quality of the device itself, much higher quality of apps, combined with a superior retail presence for support if needed helped make my decision. No it doesn't have the most cores, or most MP camera, but the photo quality and performance of the device is phenomenal, custom built Apple designed SoC, and the flicking apps away to close is very Playbook like (Thank you BlackBerry for letting Apple get those engineers you laid off) and I like the force touch too. Just because someone chooses an iPhone over an Android device doesn't make them or imply they are uneducated, they simply have a different set of values and priorities.
    eyesopen1111, dejanh and jon4400 like this.
    10-22-15 02:24 PM
    My kids call the Blackberry the "Old People's phone".

Basically, I don't understand what you are talking about. It's not a Chinese no-name. As said in an earlier post, the price in Europe will be around 1000 USD and you are complaining.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-15 09:06 PM
    My kids call the Blackberry the "Old People's phone".
    And yet in the other thread you want BlackBerry to continue the Classic format and put Android.

Your logic is impeccable.

Brilliant post. I want BB to succeed, now they made it a niche product, which regrettably will be quickly forgotten due to the price. The specs are meh, 3 gb, 32 ram, etc the Moto X has the same. The Nexus 6p has up to 128 ram. Give me a BB Classic style phone at $400 with Android 6.0 and I'll be the first in line to get one.
    10-23-15 06:13 AM
    sooo... I guess they blew it?
    10-23-15 06:20 AM
    Yes, yes it is. I LIKE the classic form factor quite a bit, just not enough to get one with BB10. I have a concern regarding the slider portion of the phone, as in how durable will it be in the long run? New pricing is out at $699 that is almost do-able for me, and I will seriously consider the phone, after a wait, and reading here how durable, functional, and enjoyable the phone is in the long term. If, as I suspect, they drop the price to $599, I'll get one in a New York minute, barring issues with durability, functionality, updates, etc. So, for me, this is wait and see how it works in practice phone.

For my purposes, for what I use the phone for, a classic form factor phone is perfect.

And yet in the other thread you want BlackBerry to continue the Classic format and put Android.

Your logic is impeccable.
    10-23-15 11:28 AM
    Guess by the end of December the price will be $599 in practice.

Posted via CB10
    10-28-15 06:35 AM
217 ... 789