Bill of materials will be on par with the rest of the high end phones ~$300. So that leaves $200 for the rest, for a $500 price tag. That pretty much covers your 10% for warranty, service, returns plus the (non existent) marketing, R&D and logistics.

There is no curved screen (the glass/digitizer is curved but not the actual screen), no drivers support, no app market maintenance, no dev relations etc.

Pricing it on par with the high end offerings established Android OEMs will only result in failure. And I say that because I DO care for Blackberry and not for the status quo that a phone offers to its owner. Get a Blackberry in the hands of a 10th of all business issued device owners and you have a winner there. THEN start offering premium phones and DEMAND a higher price
    Humm you know the COG is $300? Better ask you CFO what other cost is involved when manufacturing a product. Rule of thumb is 2-4x the COG depending on the many things. What about the vendors margin? Do you know what it cost to patent the Priv and all the other regulator BS? What about general overhead?

It would be different if BlackBerry was fat, but they barely have enough cash to keep existing operations running. Why do you think there are lay offs? BlackBerry is in a industry where 3-5 billion is chump change.

Time to either make money or drop the hardware division.

PIN 829A "You're only known for the worst thing you do" DSO 1978
    Last edited by Mr4aces; 09-28-15 at 08:28 AM.
    09-28-15 08:16 AM
    But if it's only for the show then who cares? I hope side notifications will be supported.
    Only for the show? Who cares? ask the millions of galaxy S6 Edge owners that bought the phone 100$ more than the regular S6 despite being the same phone just with a different screen. So far the only use we saw with edges of the slider was the charging indication bar. Who knows what they are adding to that.

2.5K or 4K?----> Where is the 18MP Slider's Camera from?
    I was talking about screen resolution not camera. I don't compare cameras on megapixels (neither should anybody because it's stupid)

How many people want to have/will actually have that amount of data on their phones???I cannot imagine that many people carry their whole dvd collection etc. with them on their 5/5.5 inch smartphone.
    It will be very usefull for those that want the "4k video". 4k consumes 4x more space than 1080p. Music maybe? I don't know to be honest, I don't need a lot of spaec on my phone, but there's a lot of people that do want.

This must be a joke. If it wasn't for forums like Crackberry few people would know how to deal with all the software related problems/settings in the past. Technical customersupport is non-existent.
    Costomer support isn't just software. My Passport had a hardware problem and had to be sent to warranty. I didn't buy the Passport in Europe, but i managed to get it replace here in europe by a european Blackberry representative. I wonder how this works with white brands of smartphones.
    The other part is availability. You can buy the latest Blackberry almost everywhere because is a well known brand and a still relatively big company. For example, I never saw a OPPO on sale in any store here in Portugal.

Certainly not a dealbreaker, but dual-sim would have been quite useful for a lot of folks who aren't interested in carrying their whole library of movies/music with them. I for one still don't see a smartphone as a toy or a buddy on the go and would rather had dual-sim than 160GB support probably many people wouldn't even use. For me personally 64 GB in total would have been more than enough.
    You're having the same problem that a lot of people do, is think that you are the center of the world. It's not about what you want, it's about what the market wants. I don't care about 4k video (it's useless in a phone), but I want it to be there, because it sells. I don't need a 5.5 inch display, a 4.5 inch would be enought for me, but most people want it. I don't even need 32GB's on my phone, 16 is enought, but some people want more. I don't want a 2,5k display, it consumes more battery, makes the phone slower, and I see no difference in sharpness, BUT PEOPLE WANT IT, and that adds to the price.

Very few people use dual sim, so very few phones have them. Very few people use NFC, and that's why the CEO of OnePlus said their new phone won't have it. The fact that you specificly need this or that is irrelevant.
    Last edited by Joao Oliveira; 09-28-15 at 10:29 AM.
    09-28-15 10:19 AM
    [...]The other part is availability. You can buy the latest Blackberry almost everywhere because is a well known brand and a still relatively big company. For example, I never saw a OPPO on sale in any store here in Portugal.
    Well, in the top 25 largest cities is Holland there is NO store that sells BlackBerry phones. I didn't even find any vendor who sells it in some obscure small town. BlackBerry phones are extinct in Holland. In Germany it is exactly the same. I have found NO store in Hamburg, Berlin, Hannover, or in the financial cities of Frankfurt or D�sseldorf. Very few vendors and consumers care about the brand any longer. If people want to see/try/feel a BlackBerry they need to purchase it online. One of the biggest online vendors of mobile phones told me that most send it back once they tried a BB 10 device. Availability might be different in Portugal. Be happy about it.

You're having the same problem that a lot of people do, is think that you are the center of the world.
    I have a "problem" and "think that I'm the center of the world" because I gave an opinion on a forum? Wow, your panties to tight or what?

It's not about what you want, it's about what the market wants. I don't care about 4k video (it's useless in a phone), but I want it to be there, because it sells. I don't need a 5.5 inch display, a 4.5 inch would be enought for me, but most people want it. I don't even need 32GB's on my phone, 16 is enought, but some people want more. I don't want a 2,5k display, it consumes more battery, makes the phone slower, and I see no difference in sharpness, BUT PEOPLE WANT IT, and that adds to the price.

Very few people use dual sim, so very few phones have them. Very few people use NFC, and that's why the CEO of OnePlus said their new phone won't have it. The fact that you specificly need this or that is irrelevant.
    Well, what's the use for a forum anyways then, right? Must be frustrating for you to read so many opinions.
    If nobody is allowed to ventilate their meaning on a subject then we can better close this forum or any other for that matter. Pretty sure you never gave your opinion on this forum in those +1000 posts of yours......I wonder how many people then (over)reacted the way you just did.
    Last edited by WT44; 09-28-15 at 12:50 PM.
    09-28-15 10:49 AM
    Penetration pricing strategy Blackberry  ... come in just under your competition... and go!

Blackberry  z30 - a unique experience
    Mr4aces likes this.
    09-28-15 11:53 AM
    Well, in the top 25 largest cities is Holland there is NO store that sells BlackBerry phones. I didn't even find any vendor who sells it in some obscure small town. BlackBerry phones are extinct in Holland. In Germany it is exactly the same. I have found NO store in Hamburg, Berlin, Hannover, or in the financial cities of Frankfurt or D�sseldorf. Very few vendors and consumers care about the brand any longer. If people want to see/try/feel a BlackBerry they need to purchase it online. One of the biggest online vendors of mobile phones told me that most send it back once they tried a BB 10 device. Availability might be different in Portugal. Be happy about it.

I have a "problem" and "think that I'm the center of the world" because I gave an opinion on a forum? Wow, your panties to tight or what?

Well, what's the use for a forum anyways then, right? Must be frustrating for you to read so many opinions.
    If nobody is allowed to ventilate their meaning on a subject then we can better close this forum or any other for that matter. Pretty sure you never gave your opinion on this forum in those +1000 posts of yours......I wonder how many people then (over)reacted the way you just did.
    Well, you now have a store near you in Germany. That's quick service for you by mail and is an official representative. I don't have Blackberry in Portugal either, but sent it to UK at no cost via express DHL shipping, they gave me a new device at no cost whatsoever, and it was very easy to handle... Good luck with customer service from a white brand

One thing is giving an opinion, the other is talking like being the owner of the truth, yeah because you asked if what I was telling was a "joke" about the customer service suposedly having a better coverage worldwide by a bigger company wich I think is pretty clear and easy to understand. Blackberry might not have Apple kind of costomer service, but it's still better than some chinese knock off. If Blackberry had only 1 official store around the world, that already would be better than having none like 1 Plus. I'm talking about availability, the quality of that service is a whole other story.
    09-28-15 12:58 PM

Dual Sim is huge in Asia. As in, really a big deal.
    09-29-15 04:51 AM
    32GB Nexus 6P costs $499, as I said. $649 for 128GB.

"BlackBerry better not screw up the pricing..."-google-nexus-5x-6p-_0294.jpg

Who said I was dreaming, again?
    09-29-15 11:49 AM
    Don't forget - this is the company that names its FLAGSHIP product 'Priv'.

This is the company that advertises their last great hope in the hardware industry on their own site using poorly cropped images and uneven font spacing.

This is the company that recently released a mid-price device with 2012-spec hardware near-identical to that of the Z10, and called it 'Leap'.

This is the company that sold the PlayBook at fire-sale prices under the false pretense that it would receive an update to BB10.

This is the company that for months listed the Passport as being 3G-only on the specs page of their own web site.

Etc.

Etc.

Etc.

I expect this will be released at a pricepoint similar to Apple's flagship. So, almost everyone will ignore it and buy an iPhone (or another, more popular 'flagship').
    Doggerz, StephanieMaks and JeepBB like this.
    09-29-15 02:54 PM
    This is the company that sold the PlayBook at fire-sale prices under the false pretense that it would receive an update to BB10.
    It wasn't fire-sale prices. It was only reduced. Real fire-sale was $99 TouchPad's.
    09-29-15 06:15 PM
    Just look at it.. you think it's going to be cheap..
    I think it's going to be same as nexus..

Posted via cb10//see the good in everything..//
    09-29-15 06:30 PM
    Just look at it.. you think it's going to be cheap..
    I think it's going to be same as nexus..

Posted via cb10//see the good in everything..//
    The anticipated pricing for the nextgen Nexus devices (the Nexus 6P and Nexus 5X) have even seemed to drop in pricing vs prior years. As per the Verge's write-up, looks like the Nexus 6P starts at $499.99 and the 5X at $379.99 ( http://www.theverge.com/2015/9/28/94...wei-6p-pricing ) Right around $600 and below is what I would personally find reasonable if they truly are looking to expand their user base... Anything more than that won't fly with consumers... Not without an Apple logo or Samsung branding affixed anyways...

Posted via CB10
    nealworld likes this.
    09-29-15 06:50 PM
    It's not pricing, they freaking need to advertise.

Posted via CA Governor's BlackBerry� Passport SE
    09-29-15 08:03 PM
    If it's over $699 they blew it.
    Agreed Bla1ze. The BlackBerry Priv will be entry-level and owned by Google by virtue of Google Android. Any OS updates will be on Google's timeline and we have seen how Google Android is rarely updated for legacy and current devices from Samsung et. al. If this smartphone is priced over CAD349.99 at launch off-contract, the BlackBerry Priv is in the loo and DOA. And how pray does BlackBerry intend to secure Google Android so it is not a malware vector into corporate networks?
    09-29-15 09:27 PM
    649.99 unlocked at shop blackberry or I walk .
    Too expensive above CAD349.99. The glory years for BlackBerry are like high school memories...in the distant past.
    09-29-15 09:32 PM
    Too expensive above CAD349.99. The glory years for BlackBerry are like high school memories...in the distant past.
    They literally can't make any money at that price level. It will be sold at or higher than the Passport launch price.
    09-29-15 09:40 PM
    Here's a laugh: BlackBerry Priv aka Venice Specs and Price | Smartphone Price

Where and how do these people dream up these numbers for price, lol $350 USD and $450 CAD (at the bottom of the article)
    The BlackBerry Priv is only worth south of CAD450.00, and CAD349.99 off-contract makes more sense. But BlackBerry management will set the price at premium level despite the market position of the BlackBerry brand. Chen wants BlackBerry bought out by a Chinese corporation which as we all know is a front for the Government of China. He had 6 months to improve the company and the brand yet failed like his predecessors.
    09-29-15 09:41 PM
    The Edge in Canada is $850 with a smaller screen, and no slider mechanism or keyboard. Specs of Priv are same or better.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2639
    Edge has better chip by about 20%.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-15 09:44 PM
    They literally can't make any money at that price level. It will be sold at or higher than the Passport launch price.
    Sorry but the days of premium pricing are over for this company. If they have to loose money in the short-term to ensure their long-term success so be it. It is a damn Google Android smartphone with all its inherent security risks and known exploits. How does Chen plan to ensure the security of the information on these smartphones?
    09-29-15 09:44 PM
    Sorry but the days of premium pricing are over for this company. If they have to loose money in the short-term to ensure their long-term success so be it. It is a damn Google Android smartphone with all its inherent security risks and known exploits. How does Chen plan to ensure the security of the information on these smartphones?
    They don't have the luxury of a long-term outlook. Have you looked at the stock price lately? If THIS model doesn't turn the device business part of BBRY around then it's ashes, BB will look to wind hardware down.
    09-29-15 09:50 PM
    679US would keep it just under 900CAN and taxes "in" becomes just over 1000CAN and less expensive ( dont want to say cheaper) than the new Samsung and Apple offerings. Perhaps they plan to bring out a newer version after a few months with say wireless charging and finger print scanning, and other colour combos and increase the $. All speculation of course...
    Yeah it is getting hard to compare. For example in US prices the Passport $550 US price is more expensive than the $650 CAD price. Unfortunately I don't get paid in USD.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-15 09:59 PM
    They don't have the luxury of a long-term outlook. Have you looked at the stock price lately? If THIS model doesn't turn the device business part of BBRY around then it's ashes, BB will look to wind hardware down.
    The Priv has little to no chance to turn around the hardware division if it's priced out of the range that consumers are willing to accept for buying a phone from a virtual unknown, which is what BBRY is thanks to eight years of stupid decisions that have whittled its market share, carrier penetration and brand positioning to virtually zero, and with a wholly-untried OS at that. There are far too many questions marks about the product and the company behind it for the broader market to take the plunge at a premium price point.

Loads of people seem hopeful by the generally positive reception of the device by Android commentators. Let's see if those commentators are singing the same tune when it's priced at or above a phone made by Samsung or Apple.
    JeepBB likes this.
    09-29-15 10:15 PM
    The Priv has little to no chance to turn around the hardware division if it's priced out of the range that consumers are willing to accept for buying a phone from a virtual unknown, which is what BBRY is thanks to eight years of stupid decisions that have whittled its market share, carrier penetration and brand positioning to virtually zero, and with a wholly-untried OS at that. There are far too many questions marks about the product and the company behind it for the broader market to take the plunge at a premium price point.

Loads of people seem hopeful by the generally positive reception of the device by Android commentators. Let's see if those commentators are singing the same tune when it's priced at or above a phone made by Samsung or Apple.
    It will be priced lower than Samsung/Apple. More like the LG G4 32GB I think MSRP $699, my prediction MSRP $650, launch promo price $599. Priced around that level will allow the Priv to have a reasonable, up front price on a carrier contract. If its priced like Samsung/Apple ~800 then yes that would fail miserably.
    09-29-15 10:24 PM
    The BlackBerry Priv is only worth south of CAD450.00, and CAD349.99 off-contract makes more sense. But BlackBerry management will set the price at premium level despite the market position of the BlackBerry brand. Chen wants BlackBerry bought out by a Chinese corporation which as we all know is a front for the Government of China. He had 6 months to improve the company and the brand yet failed like his predecessors.
    I, respectfully, disagree with everything you have said in this post.
    09-29-15 10:34 PM
    It will be priced lower than Samsung/Apple. More like the LG G4 32GB I think MSRP $699, my prediction MSRP $650, launch promo price $599. Priced around that level will allow the Priv to have a reasonable, up front price on a carrier contract. If its priced like Samsung/Apple ~800 then yes that would fail miserably.
    A launch discount will kill the phone in the first month rather than in six. Anyone curious that didn't pull the trigger then will wait for the inevitable price cut. And $699 is still too high when one can get a 32GB Nexus 6P for $499, and be short a PKB (a curio at best for the broad market) an SD slot (which will be mitigated by an adapter fairly quickly after the Nexus launched) and a curved screen (which does have some popularity in Samsung devices, but which seems by all accounts to have no advantageous gestures dedicated to it in BlackDroid). A per-unit off-contract cost of $550 would be a good place to start but that obviously won't happen.
    09-29-15 10:42 PM
    The new Nexus won't be available via carrier at least not in the US.
    09-29-15 10:47 PM
217 ... 45678 ...