>1500 if you want the 128 version..... 1335 plus 13 percent
    09-26-15 09:32 PM
    I am a person with no brand loyalty. I really loved the playbook despite all its weaknesses, that's why I bought the original passport and was so satisfied despite the App situation I took a red passport too. If the Priv does provide something more on the software level, I might be willing to pay it. As for the keyboard I am indifferent.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-15 09:57 PM
    the iphone 6s plus in Toronto incl tax. at telus.ca, is just under $1400 (but when did the truth get in the way of a good yarn? lol)
    Fairview Mall Apple Store has that pricing listed in their store. $1050. Why telus.ca has it for so much when Apple Store itself is selling for less is beyond me. I knew Telus was a s**t company but, wow, what overpricing.
    09-26-15 09:58 PM
    Mathew Miller over at ZDNET is usually very practical. He also says that the Priv would be a tough sell if priced like other flagships. BlackBerry Priv Android smartphone: What we know and what we think we know | ZDNet

Attachment 373217
    I thought the Passport was fairly priced on launch. The SE coming in at $549 USD after the others went down to $499 was fair too.

The Priv specs look to be a lot better than the Passport, so $699 or $649 wouldn't be out of line. If BlackBerry were to price it at $599, it would be a no brainer, at least for me.
    bakron1 likes this.
    09-27-15 02:08 AM
    BlackBerry's device sales are on the ropes. I'm not purchasing a Priv, but they need to do some loss leader pricing with this thing. They need to get back in the game and they have a long uphill battle. But because the device is using a more popular operating system, they have a chance to gain some ground if the price is right.

Business customers like me prefer BB10, its devices and BES and are not going anywhere anytime soon.

The consumer market right now, however, is bending over backwards to buy iPhone 6S which is costing upwards of $900 (in Toronto) and the Plus model going for $1000.

They need to keep that price low to reel people in. Apple has a near "cult-level" hold on the market with all the goonies camping out well in advance just to line up and be the first to "get it".

I agree with the title: they better not f**k up the pricing, not if the hardware side of things wants to stay alive.

The consumer would rather spend that $900 to buy an iPhone rather than a Blackberry Perv...sorry Priv...at the same price point. It's up to Blackberry to get them to change their mind.
    If a consumer wanted an iPhone, he/she would never consider an Android device, even at half the price. The competition is with other Android phones and there's no point in chasing the iPhone crowd.
    09-27-15 02:13 AM
    If it's over $699 they blew it.
    You replied to this
    Your reply should be a forum title.. and one big discussion..

Should we be here to find out or.. Evan blass will tell us on his Twitter? ..
    Seems like he has everything.. may be he has the device in his pocket too...
    "BlackBerry better not screw up the pricing..."-img_20150924_061851.png

I wanted you guys to be the first to find out..

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by nealworld; 09-27-15 at 05:21 AM.
    09-27-15 03:53 AM
    If a consumer wanted an iPhone, he/she would never consider an Android device, even at half the price. The competition is with other Android phones and there's no point in chasing the iPhone crowd.
    There's always going to be iPhone faithful jumping ship to Android and there's also always people jumping ship from Android to iOS.

Hell I went over to Android after WebOS then bought an iPhone 4 when I was in Korea. The phone was great. Then when I was in Germany I picked up a galaxy s3 and that sealed the deal for me. I tried going back to my iPhone 4 and it was really hard to justify going back.

I dont think iPhone users are going to flock to the Priv but people missing their physical keyboards and people willing to try something new might. Besides the return policy nowadays seem to be pretty lax. I mean anyone can just buy a Priv and if they like it, keep it. If not, return it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    09-27-15 05:19 AM
    Never consider? You feeling well? Go and take some rest.

You must be oblivious to the fact that people switch between Android and IOS all the time. There is no point in chasing the iPhone crowd? Blackberry has to try and chase everybody. This is Hail Mary time.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport Red Edition
    09-27-15 08:31 AM
    It's funny that a lot of people think that a Blackberry can play with the big boys in the Android League. Blackberry is no Samsung, no LG. no HTC, not even Sony. OnePlus has better SoC @810, 64GB storage, 4GB RAM, dual sim and prices it at $400.

Shoving a 6 litre twin turbo, in a futuristic chassis, plus brembo and all the top end parts into a Honda is not going to make it a Ferrari. It's the exact same thing as Microsoft really found in the past: you can offer a specs flagship phone in flagship price and watch it burn.

Blackberry needs to sell at cost or just above it. If it prices it like a Android flagship, it will be the last Blackberry commercial device that will be offered.

$500 or bust.

Probably bust though...
    09-27-15 11:52 AM
    It's funny that a lot of people think that a Blackberry can play with the big boys in the Android League. Blackberry is no Samsung, no LG. no HTC, not even Sony. OnePlus has better SoC @810, 64GB storage, 4GB RAM, dual sim and prices it at $400.

Shoving a 6 litre twin turbo, in a futuristic chassis, plus brembo and all the top end parts into a Honda is not going to make it a Ferrari. It's the exact same thing as Microsoft really found in the past: you can offer a specs flagship phone in flagship price and watch it burn.

Blackberry needs to sell at cost or just above it. If it prices it like a Android flagship, it will be the last Blackberry commercial device that will be offered.

$500 or bust.

Probably bust though...
    yeah... 500$.... you don't live in this world, it WON'T cost that.

I'm going to point out why the Priv is a lot more phone than the OnePlus 2
    -The one Plus is from a "white brand"
    -The OnePlus has a Snapdragon 810 but it's underclocked, wich happens to not be any faster than the Snapdragon 808 found in the LG G4 and Priv (youtube: watch?v=JV8LlTxcIvY)
    -Doesn't have a curved screen (read expensive)
    -Doesn't have a real keyboard
    -Doesn't have NFC
    -Doesn't have a OLED screen (better, more expensive), and the guys from pocketnow even said that the LCD screen on the OnePlus2 was "average".
    -The OnePlus 2 has a 1080p, Priv has a 2.5K wich is higher resolution
    -Blackberry tends to have phones with the best network reception.
    -The One Plus has NO SD card slot, the Priv is 32GB+128GB's with an SD card, wich makes 160GB. (for sure in future will support for higher SD cards, even the Z10 reads 128GB cards)
    -Blackberry is a bigger company, so better customer support around the world.

So you can keep your dual-sim and extra Gb of Ram, I'll take the rest.
    Last edited by Joao Oliveira; 09-27-15 at 06:56 PM.
    09-27-15 03:12 PM
    Nice pipe dream. They can price it $1500 if they want but it will not sale. Until it hits a competitive price point and all the Blackberry addicts like you snatch the first units, it will grow spider webs from just sitting on the selfs.
    On a final note, when I asked some colleagues if they would buy and android Blackberry they said "an android what? Like the one with the keys you are carrying?" And laughed their way to the cafeteria
    09-27-15 11:15 PM
    Nice pipe dream. They can price it $1500 if they want but it will not sale. Until it hits a competitive price point and all the Blackberry addicts like you snatch the first units, it will grow spider webs from just sitting on the selfs.
    On a final note, when I asked some colleagues if they would buy and android Blackberry they said "an android what? Like the one with the keys you are carrying?" And laughed their way to the cafeteria
    Are you another Naysayer that wouldn't buy it unless it was $100? Have you ever spent $500 for a phone? Have you ever bought a phone on launch day or do you wait a year so the pricing is lower?

You have to pay to be the first with the latest gadget.

The productivity of a good phone saves time. Time is money. It isn't how much you spend, it's how much time it will save and the enjoyment of that phone.

Get real. BlackBerry phones are not displayed at Walmart for a reason. Just pick up any other physical key board phone there is nothing like a BlackBerry.

It is stupid to loss money on anything. BlackBerry is better off not making a phone then to loss money on it. There is so many hidden cost Joe Q Public does not know about. I would rather make $1000 on 10 phones than $1000 on 100 phones. Nobody that has ever owned a business still operating will run that type of low margins or sell at cost. BlackBerry doesn't need to sell phones to be profitable.

PIN 829A "You're only known for the worst thing you do" DSO 1978
    09-27-15 11:52 PM
    Are you another Naysayer that wouldn't buy it unless it was $100? Have you ever spent $500 for a phone? Have you ever bought a phone on launch day or do you wait a year so the pricing is lower?

You have to pay to be the first with the latest gadget.

The productivity of a good phone saves time. Time is money. It isn't how much you spend, it's how much time it will save and the enjoyment of that phone.

Get real. BlackBerry phones are not displayed at Walmart for a reason. Just pick up any other physical key board phone there is nothing like a BlackBerry.

It is stupid to loss money on anything. BlackBerry is better off not making a phone then to loss money on it. There is so many hidden cost Joe Q Public does not know about. I would rather make $1000 on 10 phones than $1000 on 100 phones. Nobody that has ever owned a business still operating will run that type of low margins or sell at cost. BlackBerry doesn't need to sell phones to be profitable.

I have spent more money on blackberry devices @launch day than the most in here. I enjoyed and still enjoy using one. I carry a classic as a work issued device. Me and our COO. So don't lecture me about my Blackberryness (is that a word?)

But I am a pragmatist. Everyone in our company either carries a Samsung, Lumia or iPhone. Blackberry can't charge a premium in this market. It doesn't have brand recognition. In order to make a dent in the Android infested market with more and more cheap devices with adequate specs are showing up, it needs to price competitively. Not cheap, but competitively.

New high end Lumias are coming with a similar specs and a $750 price tag with a bunch of accessories and we are seeing a similar reaction. If you don't have brand recognition you can't charge a premium period.
    09-28-15 12:59 AM
    There's always going to be iPhone faithful jumping ship to Android and there's also always people jumping ship from Android to iOS.

Hell I went over to Android after WebOS then bought an iPhone 4 when I was in Korea. The phone was great. Then when I was in Germany I picked up a galaxy s3 and that sealed the deal for me. I tried going back to my iPhone 4 and it was really hard to justify going back.

I dont think iPhone users are going to flock to the Priv but people missing their physical keyboards and people willing to try something new might. Besides the return policy nowadays seem to be pretty lax. I mean anyone can just buy a Priv and if they like it, keep it. If not, return it.
    I think the keyword missed is "wanted". If a consumer wanted an iPhone, it won't matter what you price an Android device. Same in the reverse situation.

Yes, there are people that switch back and forth and I'm not saying that they won't. The Priv will be grouped with other Androids, at least between Android, iOS and Windows Phone. The competition will be with the other Androids, not iOS. Comparing iPhone's and Priv prices is pointless. Compare the Priv to other Androids. That was what I was responding to.
    MO3iusONE likes this.
    09-28-15 02:11 AM
    Never consider? You feeling well? Go and take some rest.

You must be oblivious to the fact that people switch between Android and IOS all the time. There is no point in chasing the iPhone crowd? Blackberry has to try and chase everybody. This is Hail Mary time.
    Chasing the iPhone crowd is going to be expensive... BlackBerry has equalized the ecosystem by going Android, but how are they going to match Apple in advertising/marketing/customer service? Even Samsung has found it hard and they're spending comparable amounts, if not more.
    09-28-15 02:14 AM
    I have spent more money on blackberry devices @launch day than the most in here. I enjoyed and still enjoy using one. I carry a classic as a work issued device. Me and our COO. So don't lecture me about my Blackberryness (is that a word?)

But I am a pragmatist. Everyone in our company either carries a Samsung, Lumia or iPhone. Blackberry can't charge a premium in this market. It doesn't have brand recognition. In order to make a dent in the Android infested market with more and more cheap devices with adequate specs are showing up, it needs to price competitively. Not cheap, but competitively.

New high end Lumias are coming with a similar specs and a $750 price tag with a bunch of accessories and we are seeing a similar reaction. If you don't have brand recognition you can't charge a premium period.
    Sorry, if I offended you.

Then you of all people should know BlackBerry can not survive if they sold the Priv at cost.

As long as they are not "the" highest and pricing is in line with comparable phones. It won't be over $750 nor will it be under $600. If they price the Priv @ $500 people will expect to pay less than $400 for a Passport and $300 for a Classic.

One big snowball out of control.

Add in the wholesale margins, warranties and returns, now how much money did BlackBerry lose. My "guess" is there is "about" 10% budgeted for warranty, service and returns. What about R & D? Where is that capitalized?

If they wanted to lose money and get name recognition they would be better off giving everybody $50 that comes in and will put a decal on the back window of their car.

Chen was hired to turn the company around and make money. Even if it means not making phones.

Last edited by Mr4aces; 09-28-15 at 03:59 AM.
    09-28-15 03:16 AM
    yeah... 500$.... you don't live in this world, it WON'T cost that.

I'm going to point out why the Priv is a lot more phone than the OnePlus 2
    -The one Plus is from a "white brand"
    -The OnePlus has a Snapdragon 810 but it's underclocked, wich happens to not be any faster than the Snapdragon 808 found in the LG G4 and Priv (youtube: watch?v=JV8LlTxcIvY)
    -Doesn't have a curved screen (read expensive)
    But if it's only for the show then who cares? I hope side notifications will be supported.
    -Doesn't have a real keyboard
    Let's hope it doesn't have/get double type issues lol.
    -Doesn't have NFC
    -Doesn't have a OLED screen (better, more expensive), and the guys from pocketnow even said that the LCD screen on the OnePlus2 was "average".
    -The OnePlus 2 has a 1080p, Priv has a 2.5K wich is higher resolution
    2.5K or 4K?----> http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...l#post11933040
    -Blackberry tends to have phones with the best network reception.
    -The One Plus has NO SD card slot, the Priv is 32GB+128GB's with an SD card, wich makes 160GB. (for sure in future will support for higher SD cards, even the Z10 reads 128GB cards)
    How many people want to have/will actually have that amount of data on their phones???I cannot imagine that many people carry their whole dvd collection etc. with them on their 5/5.5 inch smartphone.
    -Blackberry is a bigger company, so better customer support around the world.
    This must be a joke. If it wasn't for forums like Crackberry few people would know how to deal with all the software related problems/settings in the past. Technical customersupport is non-existent.
    So you can keep your dual-sim and extra Gb of Ram, I'll take the rest.
    Certainly not a dealbreaker, but dual-sim would have been quite useful for a lot of folks who aren't interested in carrying their whole library of movies/music with them. I for one still don't see a smartphone as a toy or a buddy on the go and would rather had dual-sim than 160GB support probably many people wouldn't even use. For me personally 64 GB in total would have been more than enough.
    09-28-15 04:20 AM
    Canadian or US?
    09-28-15 04:25 AM
    Sorry, if I offended you.

Then you of all people should know BlackBerry can not survive if they sold the Priv at cost.

As long as they are not "the" highest and pricing is in line with comparable phones. It won't be over $750 nor will it be under $600. If they price the Priv @ $500 people will expect to pay less than $400 for a Passport and $300 for a Classic.

One big snowball out of control.

Add in the wholesale margins, warranties and returns, now how much money did BlackBerry lose. My "guess" is there is "about" 10% budgeted for warranty, service and returns. What about R & D? Where is that capitalized?

If they wanted to lose money and get name recognition they would be better off giving everybody $50 that comes in and will put a decal on the back window of their car.

Chen was hired to turn the company around and make money. Even if it means not making phones.

Bill of materials will be on par with the rest of the high end phones ~$300. So that leaves $200 for the rest, for a $500 price tag. That pretty much covers your 10% for warranty, service, returns plus the (non existent) marketing, R&D and logistics.

There is no curved screen (the glass/digitizer is curved but not the actual screen), no drivers support, no app market maintenance, no dev relations etc.

Pricing it on par with the high end offerings established Android OEMs will only result in failure. And I say that because I DO care for Blackberry and not for the status quo that a phone offers to its owner. Get a Blackberry in the hands of a 10th of all business issued device owners and you have a winner there. THEN start offering premium phones and DEMAND a higher price
    09-28-15 05:33 AM
    These guys posted on 25sept ..
    Have a look ..
    Might make you happy ...
    But we all know thats not possible .. Or may be surprisingly it happens ..
    BlackBerry Priv aka Venice Specs and Price | Smartphone Price
    Doggerz likes this.
    09-28-15 05:50 AM
    350 USD !

"Priv is never going to be an issue for your pocket"

Just imagine if that's real.

Z30STA100-5 / 10.3.2.2639 / T-Mobile USA
    09-28-15 06:29 AM
    Lol. Price it exactly like the other high end phones or LESS or its a fail in pricing...AGAIN.

Posted via CB10
    anfidhlear likes this.
    09-28-15 07:42 AM
    Here's an idea:
    They sell it for $50 over cost.
    Get the damned thing out there and into people's hands. People are easily influenced. They do what everyone else is doing (except for us nutjobs ).
    I'm getting so incredibly sick of the BS pulled by carriers and the bullies at Apple and Google, I'm about to go back to a landline and just use a tablet for everything else.
    There's nothing wrong with BB10, save the fact that the company f*cked up utterly when it was released by not marketing it at all, and US carriers STILL pull this crap of only allowing certain phones on their networks - unlocked or not.

I can't believe I'm actually considering this, but maybe BlackBerry really is dead. They seem to have a major flaw at the base level of how they do business. I still can't get over the "zero marketing" approach, and if they continue to act like it's 1925, they're going to die.
    That's what I would do. Right now the main point is to get BlackBerry into the hands of as many people as possible. That way they see BlackBerry is actually awesome, not lame like the media portrayed. After that, BlackBerry can actually price like everyone else because people will actually be okay with paying this e prices for BlackBerry devices.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-15 07:48 AM
    Fairview Mall Apple Store has that pricing listed in their store. $1050. Why telus.ca has it for so much when Apple Store itself is selling for less is beyond me. I knew Telus was a s**t company but, wow, what overpricing.
    This is not unique to Telus, Bell and Rogers does the same thing for the month to month pricing. They inflate the price to make their term contract pricing attractive.

Just buy the phone off Amazon or ShopBB then port over to Koodo/Fido/Virgin BYOD.
    09-28-15 08:04 AM
    How much was the passport at launch in the US? My bet is that it will carry a similar pricing

Posted via CB10
    09-28-15 08:06 AM
217 ... 34567 ...