No way that it'll be an equivalent of 900/1000 bucks in the EU. At least not in Germany, Holland, Belgium.
    For EU prices they simply and almost always just change the $ to €.
    Which is fine by me. Approx €650 is what I'm willing to pay for it.
    If it's higher, I will simply wait until the official Blackberry shop has one of their recurring sales OR just wait until next year when I expect that the device will be at least €100 cheaper.

PS What bothers me more is that we don't have a concrete launch date...... yet again!!!!
    A lot of people might go for an iPhone 6s in stead which is being launched early October in many EU countries. If BB by then still has no release date......like with the colored Classic's, then they might miss out......yet again!!!!
    Well, today yeah since the Euro currency is "crashed", you're right.... but not long ago when Euro was a lot stronger than Dollar, 650€ was around 900$, and you would pay that, where in America or Canada they would pay almost 2/3 of that.
    09-26-15 11:58 AM
    Pricing is my concern. BlackBerry, don't be self-center when it comes to pricing?
    You do know BlackBerry is a corporation, right?

They may be "people too" but all corporations are self centered.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-15 12:17 PM
    If it's over $699 they blew it.
    Exactly this. BlackBerry has to bear in mind that not many consumers are actually eating down its door for a device. BlackBerry must also remember that people expect Android to be priced competitively and there is major complaints when Android devices are priced too high.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    09-26-15 01:14 PM
    Exactly this. BlackBerry has to bear in mind that not many consumers are actually eating down its door for a device. BlackBerry must also remember that people expect Android to be priced competitively and there is major complaints when Android devices are priced too high.
    It's not only about making profit (I read that they could survive without a hardware division, being a software comp only), I think they also have to maintain their reputation as a solid quality brand. If a flagship phone would be too "cheaply" priced only to get people to purchase that device and make more profit,,,,that would be like Ferrari selling their new cars for the price of a Toyota Prius. Nobody wants that Ferrari any longer as it wouldn't be something "special" any more. It's stupid, but that's just the way it works. "high-end" smartphones portray a certain lifestyle, it's a status symbol for many people out there. As said, I also don't think Blackberry wants to maket themselves as a mid-tier vendor of Android devices.
    09-26-15 01:38 PM
    Correction: BlackBerry has always screwed up the pricing until the products cannot sell and they have to do a multi billion dollar write down like the Q5, Q10 and Z10 fiasco. I guess they'll never learn.

To BB or not to BBBBBB...?
    qwerty4ever likes this.
    09-26-15 01:39 PM
    It's not only about making profit (I read that they could survive without a hardware division, being a software comp only), I think they also have to maintain their reputation as a solid quality brand. If a flagship phone would be too "cheaply" priced only to get people to purchase that device and make more profit,,,,that would be like Ferrari selling their new cars for the price of a Toyota Prius. Nobody wants that Ferrari any longer as it wouldn't be something "special" any more. It's stupid, but that's just the way it works. "high-end" smartphones portray a certain lifestyle, it's a status symbol for many people out there. As said, I also don't think Blackberry wants to maket themselves as a mid-tier vendor of Android devices.
    By pricing competitively, I didn't so much mean this from BlackBerry profits standpoint. It's more so the way the consumer market views Android.

09-26-15 01:40 PM
    People don't only want Ferrari to prove that they're able to buy one, or because it's a super-high-performance sport car, but because it's a Ferrari. It is a name that is instantly recognisable, a storied history on both road and track, and which has consistently made an outstanding product. I've said it numerous times on this sub-board, but I'll say it again: the name Blackberry has no brand awareness or social value to most mobile phone consumers. It does not have the positioning to command the same premium on phones, even should a particular handset outstrip its competitors. The innate value that branding adds to a product is called brand equity, and its something that makes a product appealing over a generic competitor (which functionally is what Blackberry is), even when the generic product might be a better objective value at point of sale. Because of this BBRY must sell it, at least at break-even, if it wants to sell the Priv in any appreciable volume.
    anon9347040 and d3ac0n like this.
    09-26-15 02:10 PM
    People don't only want Ferrari to prove that they're able to buy one, or because it's a super-high-performance sport car, but because it's a Ferrari. It is a name that is instantly recognisable, a storied history on both road and track, and which has consistently made an outstanding product. I've said it numerous times on this sub-board, but I'll say it again: the name Blackberry has no brand awareness or social value to most mobile phone consumers. It does not have the positioning to command the same premium on phones, even should a particular handset outstrip its competitors. The innate value that branding adds to a product is called brand equity, and its something that makes a product appealing over a generic competitor (which functionally is what Blackberry is), even when the generic product might be a better objective value at point of sale. Because of this BBRY must sell it, at least at break-even, if it wants to sell the Priv in any appreciable volume.
    THIS ^ 1000%++++!!!

Via CB10 - Z10-10.3.2.2639/799 - AT&T
    09-26-15 02:39 PM
    Mathew Miller over at ZDNET is usually very practical. He also says that the Priv would be a tough sell if priced like other flagships. http://www.zdnet.com/article/blackbe...think-we-know/

Attachment 373217

 Frosty White Q10/10.3.2.2639 CB10 
    09-26-15 04:00 PM
    Mathew Miller over at ZDNET is usually very practical. He also says that the Priv would be a tough sell if priced like other flagships. BlackBerry Priv Android smartphone: What we know and what we think we know | ZDNet

Attachment 373217

 Frosty White Q10/10.3.2.2639 CB10 
    so 599USD it is, plus tax
    He is clearly short of a few funds too.
    09-26-15 04:48 PM
    I'm personally hoping for 649 usd plus. I want an exclusivity factor. A high end Samsung with slider.
    09-26-15 05:02 PM
    And i really don't wish to see BB selling phones below cost to idiots who have no idea what the cost structure of such an amazing device should be.
    09-26-15 05:14 PM
    And don't forget - anyone thinking the purchase out clearly will consider ( as I am): what if BlackBerry dumps the mobile device business totally? Now - no ongoing OS support for the Android BlackBerry "package " - and no ongoing hardware support. The only source for support for either area is from BlackBerry itself - not from Google, and not from the hardware manufacturer.

So - one's purchase of a Priv could end up being a several hundred dollars paperweight.

Contrast that to purchasing a product from Samsung or LG (or even a Nexus from Google) - any of which are much "safer" purchases.

So BlackBerry needs to set a price low enough for people to be willing to take the gamble.

Uh. Don't expect much in terms of long term support on any android. Pretty much all of them lose it by the 18 month mark and an android that makes it to 24 months is what we'd call a unicorn.

Posted via CB10
    cbvinh likes this.
    09-26-15 05:56 PM
    I expect BlackBerry will price it comparably to other flagship Android phones. If it is identically priced to a phone with similar specs and operating system, you don't need to use price to distinguish the Priv. It has the slider keyboard. If the buyer values a physical keyboard, he or she will buy the Priv. If the buyer does not value the keyboard, BlackBerry should not (and I doubt would) lower the price to the point that it would appeal to that purchaser.

Picking one company at random, Rogers currently sells (in CAD):
    - Samsung Galaxy S6 edge+ for $949.99;
    - Note 5 for $849.99;
    - S6 Edge for $849.99;
    - S6 for $749.99;
    - Nexus 6 for $749.99 (released 11 months ago);
    - LG G4 for $699.99 (released 5 months ago); and
    - Sony Xperia Z3 for $699.99 (over one year old).

My guess is $749.99 is the lowest conceivable launch price, but I'd bet starts higher.
    jope28 likes this.
    09-26-15 06:43 PM
    I expect BlackBerry will price it comparably to other flagship Android phones. If it is identically priced to a phone with similar specs and operating system, you don't need to use price to distinguish the Priv. It has the slider keyboard. If the buyer values a physical keyboard, he or she will buy the Priv. If the buyer does not value the keyboard, BlackBerry should not (and I doubt would) lower the price to the point that it would appeal to that purchaser.

- Note 5 for $849.99;
    - S6 Edge for $849.99;
    - S6 for $749.99;

My guess is $749.99 is the lowest conceivable launch price, but I'd bet starts higher.
    I totally get that. Where the action might be is for the 2 yr contracts. That's where BB may have some leeway. If BB were 250 down and 77 per month, vs Samsung edge 6plus at 400 and 70 per month, most people may not differentiate, yet broadly similar profit for the carriers, especially in this low interest rate environment
    09-26-15 06:51 PM
    I suspect the vast majority of phones are on contract. That's were the smoke and mirrors, beloved of carriers, comes into play
    app_Developer likes this.
    09-26-15 07:01 PM
    It's going to be what's gona be.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2639
    09-26-15 07:27 PM

- Note 5 for $849.99;
    - S6 Edge for $849.99;
    - S6 for $749.99;

They aren't equal, and that needs to sink in for the zealots on this board. They're equal to you because you already value the Blackberry brand. At best, the Slider represents a lateral move because it has a physical keyboard and better specs than the Passport, but has Android rather BB10. This value does not carry over for the majority of the consumer population.. All flagship handsets are more or less created equal, at least on the Android side. There are a few brand-unique differentiators, software solutions or forward-focused technology additions but on the whole they're the same. So what are the differentiators that ultimately spur a success at point of sale? Immediate savings and brand equity. BBRY does not have the latter for general consumers. its a non-entity at best and a joke at worst. That leaves immediate savings, the prospective buyer leaving the point of sale with more money than they would've otherwise had. That's the only draw that will sell this phone in any appreciable numbers to most anyone outside the current BBRY userbase and it's the only thing that will keep the board, from directing John Chen's successor, after he 'resigns', to pull the plug on the hardware division altogether.
    d3ac0n likes this.
    09-26-15 07:59 PM
    They aren't equal, and that needs to sink in for the zealots on this board. They're equal to you because you already value the Blackberry brand. At best, the Slider represents a lateral move because it has a physical keyboard and better specs than the Passport, but has Android rather BB10. This value does not carry over for the majority of the consumer population.. All flagship handsets are more or less created equal, at least on the Android side. There are a few brand-unique differentiators, software solutions or forward-focused technology additions but on the whole they're the same. So what are the differentiators that ultimately spur a success at point of sale? Immediate savings and brand equity. BBRY does not have the latter for general consumers. its a non-entity at best and a joke at worst. That leaves immediate savings, the prospective buyer leaving the point of sale with more money than they would've otherwise had. That's the only draw that will sell this phone in any appreciable numbers to most anyone outside the current BBRY userbase and it's the only thing that will keep the board, from directing John Chen's successor, after he 'resigns', to pull the plug on the hardware division altogether.
    THIS ^ 1000%+++!!!

09-26-15 08:03 PM
    You are opining, rather than arguing. If this phone is good, it will win converts. I still believe your pessimism will prove unfounded. My glass is half-full.
    09-26-15 08:24 PM
    You are opining, rather than arguing. If this phone is good, it will win converts. I still believe your pessimism will prove unfounded. My glass is half-full.
    I'm doing nothing of the sort. You're propagandising according to your brand preference and I'm arguing basic economics based on equivalent costs, brand equity, the reality of BBRY's sub-1% market share and their propensity to price their devices far beyond what is needed to gain any sort of traction to reform their brand out of cultural and fiscal irrelelvancy. Sentimentalism has its place but ultimately maths take over.
    qwerty4ever likes this.
    09-26-15 08:43 PM
    I'm doing nothing of the sort. You're propagandising according to your brand preference and I'm arguing basic economics based on equivalent costs, brand equity, the reality of BBRY's sub-1% market share and their propensity to price their devices far beyond what is needed to gain any sort of traction to reform their brand out of cultural and fiscal irrelelvancy. Sentimentalism has its place but ultimately maths take over.
    You are expressing your opinion, no more, no less. Your glass is half empty.Time will tell.
    09-26-15 08:48 PM
    BlackBerry's device sales are on the ropes. I'm not purchasing a Priv, but they need to do some loss leader pricing with this thing. They need to get back in the game and they have a long uphill battle. But because the device is using a more popular operating system, they have a chance to gain some ground if the price is right.

Business customers like me prefer BB10, its devices and BES and are not going anywhere anytime soon.

The consumer market right now, however, is bending over backwards to buy iPhone 6S which is costing upwards of $900 (in Toronto) and the Plus model going for $1000.

They need to keep that price low to reel people in. Apple has a near "cult-level" hold on the market with all the goonies camping out well in advance just to line up and be the first to "get it".

I agree with the title: they better not f**k up the pricing, not if the hardware side of things wants to stay alive.

The consumer would rather spend that $900 to buy an iPhone rather than a Blackberry Perv...sorry Priv...at the same price point. It's up to Blackberry to get them to change their mind.
    09-26-15 09:14 PM
    Boss man, glad to see that someone recognizes the importance of marketing in this whole thing. Most folk on here don't know brand awareness and product positioning from squat. Good comment.
    JohnGrey likes this.
    09-26-15 09:16 PM
    BlackBerry's device sales are on the ropes. I'm not purchasing a Priv, but they need to do some loss leader pricing with this thing. They need to get back in the game and they have a long uphill battle. But because the device is using a more popular operating system, they have a chance to gain some ground if the price is right.

Business customers like me prefer BB10, its devices and BES and are not going anywhere anytime soon.

The consumer market right now, however, is bending over backwards to buy iPhone 6S which is costing upwards of $900 (in Toronto) and the Plus model going for $1000.

They need to keep that price low to reel people in. Apple has a near "cult-level" hold on the market with all the goonies camping out well in advance just to line up and be the first to "get it".

I agree with the title: they better not f**k up the pricing, not if the hardware side of things wants to stay alive.

The consumer would rather spend that $900 to buy an iPhone rather than a Blackberry Perv...sorry Priv...at the same price point. It's up to Blackberry to get them to change their mind.
    the iphone 6s plus in Toronto incl tax. at telus.ca, is just under $1400 (but when did the truth get in the way of a good yarn? lol)
    09-26-15 09:28 PM
217 ... 23456 ...