Hopefully it will be the same price as the Passport SE $649.00 CAD, and be available on shop blackberry unlocked. If it is and the reviews are good I have three family members including myself who will find a Priv in their Christmas stockings.
    09-25-15 12:34 PM
    Whatever price BlackBerry sells a new device will not satisfy customers. Too sad!

Posted via CB10 on Passport OG
    09-25-15 12:41 PM
    Business 101... make money.... It is basic economics... it cost this much to make.. market and ship.... it sells for this much which is the profit... So if they sell it for a price point makes them "some money" it will sell for what it needs to.. as for overpriced...the market decided that... everyone has a different idea as to what overpriced is and will use that in their choice of what to purchase.. for those who have not concept of the above... selling it at cost or below to meet some unrealistic expection only delvers one thing... failure... if BB was smart.. and they have shown no such inclination... they would strick a deal with the US and Canadian carriers to heavily subsidize the device cost... so go ahead and pick your magic number for yourself...in the end this will be either BB path to live to fight another day...or as it appears ... leave the hardware market totally....
    ChainPunch likes this.
    09-25-15 01:19 PM
    people in hope for a 499$ off contract can start saving for a Motorola or something like that... If it's at the price of the Passport I'll be happy.

Blackberry needs to make money, they rather sell 10 milion at a profit, than 50 million at a loss
    09-25-15 01:35 PM
    Here's a laugh: BlackBerry Priv aka Venice Specs and Price | Smartphone Price

Where and how do these people dream up these numbers for price, lol $350 USD and $450 CAD (at the bottom of the article)
    09-25-15 01:39 PM
    people in hope for a 499$ off contract can start saving for a Motorola or something like that... If it's at the price of the Passport I'll be happy.

Blackberry needs to make money, they rather sell 10 milion at a profit, than 50 million at a loss
    Agreed. The Passport SE with one (some would argue two) year old specs with much cheaper parts is still $549 US.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2639
    09-25-15 01:46 PM
    If it can go wrong, it will.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2639
    WT44 likes this.
    09-25-15 01:47 PM
    Personally if it's over 699 US I'm just not going to get it. I'll stick it out with my passport

Posted via CB10
    09-25-15 02:03 PM
    Bla1ze already gave us a hint, that the pricing will be well thought of and placed
    09-25-15 03:05 PM
    Unfortunately, price will be an issue. That's why I'm on a Classic instead of a Passport, plain and simple.

I would strongly consider a slider, except that I am in a contract and purchasing something outright just isn't feasible.
    09-25-15 03:20 PM
    What a nerve to call people stupid.
    I can tell you this the educated masses do not buy Blackberry at any price
    You are jumping to your own conclusion. Uneducated on the what Blackberry offers. Most carriers don't bother to explain the differences, requiring customers to decide on marketing (which BB can't afford) or pricing. Masses meaning the 99% of the world's smartphone buyers who did not choose Blackberry.
    DarkJoker33 likes this.
    09-25-15 04:09 PM
    I heard Czech price should be 24k CZK that's $1k USD and usually brand new BlackBerries are cheapest here (for example Passport was). From one distributor I heard he does not believe it will sale a lot as price is going to be much higher than Passport. But of course, nothing official.

Posted via CB10
    dusanvn likes this.
    09-25-15 04:30 PM

But if the price they go with only sells 100,000 units, then they are done.

Besides, since Foxconn is building the phone, I'd hope that can give BlackBerry a better price advantage.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-15 04:31 PM
    Personally if it's over 699 US I'm just not going to get it. I'll stick it out with my passport

Posted via CB10
    679US would keep it just under 900CAN and taxes "in" becomes just over 1000CAN and less expensive ( dont want to say cheaper) than the new Samsung and Apple offerings. Perhaps they plan to bring out a newer version after a few months with say wireless charging and finger print scanning, and other colour combos and increase the $. All speculation of course...
    09-25-15 04:47 PM

Besides, since Foxconn is building the phone, I'd hope that can give BlackBerry a better price advantage.

Posted via CB10
    It's an expensive phone looking at the hardware alone... If there was a mistake, it was on the phone development. Now that it's made, there's no going back, and of course its going to be expensive. of course it won't sell 100,000 units. Long ago was reported that the passport sold 750.000, today should be around 1 million... This runs android, is a more conventional format, and runs Android, it HAS to sell a lot more.

The screen of a galaxy S6 edge alone costs 200$... this has a similar screen.
    09-25-15 04:54 PM

Posted via CB10
    Oh cool. I didn't know that Foxcon was confirmed as building this one.
    I just can't imagine it being priced lower than the Samsung flagship device (Samsung makes them cheaper because of the sheer volume), simply because the Priv supposedly has top-end specs PLUS a sliding mechanism that I imagine adds some cost.

Since the Passport SE is USD$549, I guess if you use that for a benchmark with its specs, I'm guessing at least USD$200 more dollars for the Priv.

Am hoping for Passport price drop to get one :-p ahahhaha

 Frosty White Q10/10.3.2.2639 CB10 
    09-25-15 04:54 PM
    The similarly-speced LG G4 is on eBay for $529 US (which includes taxes etc I believe). But that's not what the device is listed at on AT&T or Verizon:

New LG G4 H815 32GB Factory Unlocked GSM 4G LTE HEXA Core Android 5 1 Smartphone | eBay

Off contract price at&t: $629 US
    LG G4 Smartphone - AT&T

off contract price verizon: $552 US
    LG G4 | Verizon Wireless

So with the slider mechanism and the curved screen, I guess anywhere from $599 to $649 is in the ballpark.

For the record, the 64 Gig iPhone 6S is $750, the 64 gig iPhone 6S Plus is $849. Odd that a device that almost defines "economies of scale" is more costly than other devices. Go. Figure.

At this time, there is approximately a 1.3 multiplier for Canadian $ so Canadians, be prepared to spend upwards of $750 plus HST or GST + PST. Which for residents of Waterloo, ON, that means over nine bills. Yep.

I'm glad it's only running Android, because that makes it resistible.
    Last edited by RyanGermann; 09-25-15 at 05:35 PM.
    jojo beaconsfield likes this.
    09-25-15 05:01 PM
    It's an expensive phone looking at the hardware alone... If there was a mistake, it was on the phone development. Now that it's made, there's no going back, and of course its going to be expensive. of course it won't sell 100,000 units. Long ago was reported that the passport sold 750.000, today should be around 1 million... This runs android, is a more conventional format, and runs Android, it HAS to sell a lot more.

The screen of a galaxy S6 edge alone costs 200$... this has a similar screen.
    You're right, it is too late, but if they want to recoup anything approaching manufacturing cost for the entire run they have to price it competitively, and that means pricing it with an appreciation of their brand positioning, plain and simple. It's not just myself saying it now: $500 is low enough to encourage people to cross brand lines, $700 isn't going to happen. It's just not.better that they lose $50 a device and sell 60 - 70% of their initial run in the first quarter, than make $50 and sell 15 - 20%, and have a massive writedown in two quarters.
    anon(9353145) and ayngling like this.
    09-25-15 05:06 PM
    Odd that a device that almost defines "economies of scale" is more than other devices. Go. Figure.
    There's nothing odd about it. Apple has the most fanatical brand loyalty in consumer electronics and the per-capita income of its enthusiasts is higher than any other. It has a cachet of elitism on par with Ferrari in automobiles and Rolex in timepieces. If you think that BBRY has the brand positioning to command that premium, you'd entirely mistaken.
    MarsupilamiX and eyesopen1111 like this.
    09-25-15 05:09 PM
    You're right, it is too late, but if they want to recoup anything approaching manufacturing cost for the entire run they have to price it competitively, and that means pricing it with an appreciation of their brand positioning, plain and simple. It's not just myself saying it now: $500 is low enough to encourage people to cross brand lines, $700 isn't going to happen. It's just not.better that they lose $50 a device and sell 60 - 70% of their initial run in the first quarter, than make $50 and sell 15 - 20%, and have a massive writedown in two quarters.
    Have you ever heard the past earning calls from Blackberry? Do you think it's REMOTELY possible that a company in the financial situation that Blackberry is can start selling their "hope" at a loss? How old are you? IT WON'T HAPPEN, forget selling at a loss.

Only companies that have a good backbone in cash, or have sucessfull paralel products can sell products at a loss, Blackberry doesn't, and Blackberry CAN'T.

If you keep insisting in that crap idea, i'll just assume that you have no money to buy the phone, and you're waiting for the miracle sale price at launch so that you can buy one. It won't be under 500$. Even the now "old" Passport doesn't sell at that price...

600$ is as cheap as you will get, but prepare at least 650-700$, because that for sure is what it will cost.
    anon4226395 and MO3iusONE like this.
    09-25-15 05:19 PM
    Have you ever heard the past earning calls from Blackberry? Do you think it's REMOTELY possible that a company in the financial situation that Blackberry is can start selling their "hope" at a loss? How old are you? IT WON'T HAPPEN, forget selling at a loss.

Only companies that have a good backbone in cash, or have sucessfull paralel products can sell products at a loss, Blackberry doesn't, and Blackberry CAN'T.

If you keep insisting in that crap idea, i'll just assume that you have no money to buy the phone, and you're waiting for the miracle sale price at launch so that you can buy one. It won't be under 500$. Even the now "old" Passport doesn't sell at that price...

600$ is as cheap as you will get, but prepare at least 650-700$, because that for sure is what it will cost.
    Then the phone fails. Be prepared.
    eyesopen1111 likes this.
    09-25-15 05:24 PM
    Are you saying that you feel that because it is a BlackBerry brand device (as opposed to a Samsung, LG, Moto etc.) it has to be priced lower than competitively powered / speced devices? Other devices seem to do OK at SRP above $700.
    BlackBerry.. even with this device.. they have to prove themselves. The others are already established and they know what to expect and what they're getting. With BlackBerry and this being their first foray into Android and their 'brand image' in some people's eyes, they need to earn some love. Remember, the Storm came out when Android was on the rise and a lot of folks left BlackBerry for Android at the time, some of those people are still bitter over it all.

Granted, that's likely an arguably small base but the rest is covered by their brand image which still isn't great in the eyes of many. They need to make a bang with this device and MAKE people want to pick it up. Being lighter (and just as good) as the others on the bank account is a good start. But as others have mentioned, BlackBerry has never really been good at pricing so I expect it;ll be no different this time around. I hope, however, to be wrong lol.
    09-25-15 05:34 PM
    ok... let it fail then... This is make or break for BB (for the handheld business at least), selling at a loss it's just break
    09-25-15 05:35 PM
    There's nothing odd about it. Apple has the most fanatical brand loyalty in consumer electronics and the per-capita income of its enthusiasts is higher than any other. It has a cachet of elitism on par with Ferrari in automobiles and Rolex in timepieces. If you think that BBRY has the brand positioning to command that premium, you'd entirely mistaken.
    Somebody's sarcasm detector is broken.....
    09-25-15 05:36 PM
    I really don't think it will fail. What has failed, is BB10 OS. The majority of my friends who have BBs (I'm an MD) have legacy devices and buying a cell phone wouldn't even be noticed cost-wise but they have asked me about the Priv because they want aps! They want snapchat etc.They are irritated about not, until now, being able to upgrade within BB to a phone that has all the perceived benefits (to them) of a Samsung or an Apple. Reading the android websites suggests to me that this device will be well received. People seem genuinely excited about it. It may be seen by many in the coming months as the best device ever. I sincerely hope BB do not fall into the trap of selling it at cost just to encourage numbers. People in my experience like status and they like to spend money acquiring it. Paradoxically people like high cost as it adds a mystique factor. This applies to flagship cellphones too. I think BB are poised to make some real inroads (and coin). Its a very bold move on their part. I suspect they know exactly what they are doing. The individuals who "launched" the BB10 phones were utter idiots in my opinion. Chen and co are a different kettle of fish.
    dusanvn likes this.
    09-25-15 05:46 PM
217 1234 ...