I keep seeing this comment over and over, but no one really ever explains what they mean by "screw up the pricing".

Are we expecting Nexus like pricing for this device? Because news flash people: it's going to be at LEAST $699 off contract. Consider that the Priv has the same display as the S6 Edge, similar/better components AND a slider mechanism. I wouldn't be surprised to see it at $799 USD at launch. That means the better part of $1000 here in Canada.

Would you pay that for a factory unlocked Priv? This could be a serious issue, and no one is talking about it.
    Joao Oliveira and gokulesh like this.
    09-25-15 11:13 AM
    If it's over $699 they blew it.
    09-25-15 11:22 AM
    I would tend to agree, but they have to make money on this device no?

The guts of this thing are expensive, and they don't have the economies of scale a Nexus device has.
    09-25-15 11:25 AM
    Telus has the Galaxy S6 Edge+ 64GB at $960 off contract and the 32GB S6 Edge at $850.

It might be tough to get down below $700.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2639
    Joao Oliveira and gokulesh like this.
    09-25-15 11:25 AM
    I would tend to agree, but they have to make money on this device no?

The guts of this thing are expensive, and they don't have the economies of scale a Nexus device has.
    Sure they need to make money...but if they price it too high no one will care either way. It'll sit on shelves and rot, so they'll lose money by pricing it well above people's care points.
    09-25-15 11:26 AM
    Sure they need to make money...but if they price it too high no one will care either way. It'll sit on shelves and rot, so they'll lose money by pricing it well above people's care points.
    Are you saying that you feel that because it is a BlackBerry brand device (as opposed to a Samsung, LG, Moto etc.) it has to be priced lower than competitively powered / speced devices? Other devices seem to do OK at SRP above $700.
    Last edited by RyanGermann; 09-25-15 at 04:50 PM.
    clickitykeys likes this.
    09-25-15 11:30 AM
    When y'all talk price, are you talking greenback or loonies? I'm in Canada, so if the device is launched even at USD $699 that pushes frightfully close to a Canadian thou (although I know that MSRPs don't use cash or spot rate f/x).

I'm fingers-crossed for release pricing of at most a USD $649 so I don't have to auction off a kidney to have slider-joy in my life.
    09-25-15 11:30 AM
    With Android on it, I would see a $499 ceiling. The Slide out keyboard is a point of differentiation but the BlackBerry logo reduces the appeal considerably.

$699 will only sell to the BlackBerry loyal. $499 has a chance to sell to the uneducated masses when carriers sell it for $99 on a two year contract.

They need to get serious traction with this phone and fast or they are out of the hardware business by March.

Mr. Chen, breakeven on this device, sell #s and restore hope to the market or they will not have any faith to support 15% profitable portion of software solutions.

Posted via CB10
    yuvaraki likes this.
    09-25-15 11:31 AM
    They've blown it on ever device they released price point wise. Sure this will be well overpriced as usual. The very least it better sell unlocked to offer a glimmer of value. The Priv is no iPhone or top flagship android device. It's already a niche phone being a slider. An the etched name "blackberry" isn't going to drive any sales from the consumer side.

The business world won't be gobbling this one up.
    09-25-15 11:33 AM
    The parts costs are probably in the neighbourhood of $400 US. Add to that marketing, distribution, and support.

As a reference, the Galaxy S6 Edge cost is about $300, but they enjoy better supplier pricing and do not have the slider mechanism or keyboard, and it has a smaller screen.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2639
    09-25-15 11:34 AM
    Marketing, that's a good one lol. A class of grade 10 visual communication students have a better clue about marketing then anyone at blackberry. Support yikes they lack that too.
    FF22 and Taigatrommel like this.
    09-25-15 11:37 AM
    Pricing is my concern. BlackBerry, don't be self-center when it comes to pricing? I know your product is premium but you are competing with a bunch of cheap Android players out there. Price it right the first time to get people familiar with your device first. When you have so much consumer are using/trusting your device and then add a few things to the device, sale for a little bit more. If I'm BlackBerry Marketing Team, this is how I would do. Price $600 - 650 US dollars for this device, please!
    09-25-15 11:38 AM
    Why do we have this conversation with every device they put out? Its almost like they are getting bad marketing advice ...
    Skatophilia likes this.
    09-25-15 11:39 AM
    649.99 unlocked at shop blackberry or I walk .
    09-25-15 11:51 AM

$699 will only sell to the BlackBerry loyal. $499 has a chance to sell to the uneducated masses when carriers sell it for $99 on a two year contract.

Posted via CB10
    What a nerve to call people stupid.
    I can tell you this the educated masses do not buy Blackberry at any price
    Yifan Li likes this.
    09-25-15 12:02 PM
    Canadian or American? I think ~$750 Canadian is a fair price. Definitely in line with other phones with similar (or even worse) specs.
    09-25-15 12:07 PM
    Probelm is they always start with a too high price killing a lot of interest at the beginning only reduce the price anyway shortly after. So far they did not learn a thing from Z10, Z30, Leap, Q5, Q10 and Passport price mess.

Posted via CB10
    itsachickthing likes this.
    09-25-15 12:09 PM
    Canadian or American? I think ~$750 Canadian is a fair price. Definitely in line with other phones with similar (or even worse) specs.
    The Edge in Canada is $850 with a smaller screen, and no slider mechanism or keyboard. Specs of Priv are same or better.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2639
    09-25-15 12:13 PM
    Here's an idea:
    They sell it for $50 over cost.
    Get the damned thing out there and into people's hands. People are easily influenced. They do what everyone else is doing (except for us nutjobs ).
    I'm getting so incredibly sick of the BS pulled by carriers and the bullies at Apple and Google, I'm about to go back to a landline and just use a tablet for everything else.
    There's nothing wrong with BB10, save the fact that the company f*cked up utterly when it was released by not marketing it at all, and US carriers STILL pull this crap of only allowing certain phones on their networks - unlocked or not.

I can't believe I'm actually considering this, but maybe BlackBerry really is dead. They seem to have a major flaw at the base level of how they do business. I still can't get over the "zero marketing" approach, and if they continue to act like it's 1925, they're going to die.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    09-25-15 12:14 PM
    699 is my mental block. 649 or less I buy 2 day one...

 Posted in CB10 from my amazing SQUARE OG Passport 
    09-25-15 12:14 PM
    Was just reading the TmoNews article on the Priv ( http://www.tmonews.com/2015/09/black...ter-this-year/ ) and already saw several comments concerning the price:
    "BlackBerry better not screw up the pricing..."-img_20150925_131426.png
    "BlackBerry better not screw up the pricing..."-img_20150925_131356.png
    "BlackBerry better not screw up the pricing..."-img_20150925_131445.png

Etc... You get the point... Hopefully it'll be priced to compete with the non-populist devices... Only ppl willing to drop a high end price on an entry level device are BlackBerry loyalists, just as the iHoles and SamSuckers drop top dime on their fanboy/girl favs... If you aren't a die-hard, then a high price tag IS going to make or break a product... I'll happily drop $600+ on a device brand I favor, but there is no way I'd splurge that pricing if Apple tried to go BB10 for example... (Hypothetical to make a point... no need to comment on why that last comment is wrong... Just saying is all... )

Posted via CB10
    09-25-15 12:20 PM
    On one hand, I think the device should be costly because of the great specs it has...

BUT... it would not be totally crazy to put it on a real competitive price..

I think that with previous BBs they have not used competitive prices because they were sure the devices were not going to be smashing hits, so they needed to recover the money from somewhere....

But, the pryv has android... and maybe it will zell a lot because of that.

If priced cheaply and making a sacrifice, this phone can have this huge appealing points:

-physical and onscreen keyboard hybrid
    -killer specs
    -ANDROID
    -surprisingly cheap cost vs what it offers.
    -The looks.

IMO thats a winning formula right there.

This phone needs to reach people's hands. Thats the main goal blackverry should think about... and not worry much about underpricing it a little

Posted via CB10
    09-25-15 12:23 PM
    They have always priced out the market... I don't expect this to change

Posted via CB10
    09-25-15 12:24 PM
    The Edge in Canada is $850 with a smaller screen, and no slider mechanism or keyboard. Specs of Priv are same or better.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2639
    I still remember when the old flagships like the S3, S4 all top out at $699.
    09-25-15 12:24 PM
    Further proof that it's all in the marketing:

09-25-15 12:30 PM
217 123 ...