Has anyone else been experiencing problems with their PRIVs after updating the BlackBerry apps on your PRIV?

After updating my PRIV with the latest updates my PRIV is having the following problems.

1. Excessive battery drain,

2. Unusual heating,

3. Bug with the Calendar app,

4. More frequent crashes,

5. Contact app loosing entries,

6. Notable app not working instead I'm having the
    message "Notable is not authorised to take
    screen shots"

7. DTEK is reporting erroneous messages

I'll be grateful for your responses.

Thanks
    08-24-18 12:09 PM
    I had no noticed any issues, but checked DTEK after reading your post. It showed I was not using the Blackberry OS. I cleared the cache, did a 32 second restart, and checked again, and DTEK showed, "EXCELLENT."
    08-24-18 01:57 PM
    I never used Noteable, but just installed it. I was able to take a screenshot. Did you check settings to be sure it was still enabled?
    08-24-18 02:14 PM
    I never used Noteable, but just installed it. I was able to take a screenshot. Did you check settings to be sure it was still enabled?
    Thank you kindly for your reply.

Yes, DTEK is also showing excellent on my PRIV, but the problems are there.

I've just uninstalled "Notable" and "Privacy Shade" . They stopped working. Unfortunately, I cannot uninstalled the others pre-installed apps other than to disable them.

All were working fine until these last updates.

I'm extremely upset to say the least with BlackBerry.

I think their best people (phone) are no longer with BlackBerry!
    08-24-18 03:07 PM
    Thank you kindly for your reply.

Yes, DTEK is also showing excellent on my PRIV, but the problems are there.

I've just uninstalled "Notable" and "Privacy Shade" . They stopped working. Unfortunately, I cannot uninstalled the others pre-installed apps other than to disable them.

All were working fine until these last updates.

I'm extremely upset to say the least with BlackBerry.

I think their best people (phone) are no longer with BlackBerry!
    DTEK is working fine on mine, after the restart. As for Noteable, it is also working, I can take sceenshots just fine. I took about six of them. I don't use Privacy Shade and didn't install it to test.

Try emptying the cache, doing a 32 second restart and reinstall the apps. Seriously, I have a Priv just like yours and it works.
    08-24-18 03:10 PM
    DTEK is working fine on mine, after the restart. As for Noteable, it is also working, I can take sceenshots just fine. I took about six of them. I don't use Privacy Shade and didn't install it to test.

Try emptying the cache, doing a 32 second restart and reinstall the apps. Seriously, I have a Priv just like yours and it works.
    I'm pleased for you that everything is working on your PRIV.

I can get my head around why all of a sudden after the last updates my PRIV changed.

I have tried everything including clearing the cache, uninstalled the apps and re-installed them to no avail.

Interestingly I only have 2 other none BlackBerry apps on my PRIV ( Microsoft Office Lens and Duck Duck browser). All the others are the BlackBerry pre-installed with the exception of the Privacy Shade and Notable.

I suppose the last thing for me to do (as painful as it is) is a factory reset.

However, this will not correct the bugs in the calendar and contact apps.
    08-24-18 03:22 PM
    I'm pleased for you that everything is working on your PRIV.

I can get my head around why all of a sudden after the last updates my PRIV changed.

I have tried everything including clearing the cache, uninstalled the apps and re-installed them to no avail.

Interestingly I only have 2 other none BlackBerry apps on my PRIV ( Microsoft Office Lens and Duck Duck browser). All the others are the BlackBerry pre-installed with the exception of the Privacy Shade and Notable.

I suppose the last thing for me to do (as painful as it is) is a factory reset.

However, this will not correct the bugs in the calendar and contact apps.
    You sure seem to have a lot of problems with your phone that others don't. Why don't you detail the issues with the apps in question. I am curious, and that way maybe I, or someone else can replicate them. I have experienced no bugs in the contact app. I use Business Calendar so cannot comment on the calendar.

Is this the issue you are having with Noteable and Privacy Shade?

"James Lee
    July 29, 2018

The Redactor won't allow BlackBerry Notable to work. Once Redactor is activated, Notable can be activated too but the new Notable pop up to create option "start now" is no way can be selected unless I exit Redactor.

BlackBerry LimitedDecember 12, 2017
    Thank you for the review James. In the latest version you can set an option for the filter to not cover the keyboard which should address your concern."
    08-24-18 04:20 PM
    You sure seem to have a lot of problems with your phone that others don't. Why don't you detail the issues with the apps in question. I am curious, and that way maybe I, or someone else can replicate them. I have experienced no bugs in the contact app. I use Business Calendar so cannot comment on the calendar.

Is this the issue you are having with Noteable and Privacy Shade?

"James Lee
    July 29, 2018

The Redactor won't allow BlackBerry Notable to work. Once Redactor is activated, Notable can be activated too but the new Notable pop up to create option "start now" is no way can be selected unless I exit Redactor.

BlackBerry LimitedDecember 12, 2017
    Thank you for the review James. In the latest version you can set an option for the filter to not cover the keyboard which should address your concern."
    With the calendar app I've left my feedback on the Google Play Store.

On certain dates in the month if you try to slide from left or right to the next month, let's say you are in the month of June and the date is 14, now when you swipe to the right to move to the month of July the calendar will still show June.

Without the bug it should be, June, July , August and September, Oct, Nov, Dec.

But because of the bug it is showing June, June, August, September, and others. No July.

This is the same with any other current month.

My feedback was notice by BlackBerry and their response I've received is they are looking into it.

On the Notable app it just is not working and causes my PRIV to freeze. The message that flashes up quickly is ",Notable is not authorised to take screen shots" .

The contact app does respond to incoming calls and text I received. No notication from the contact information I have stored in the app.

The BlackBerry Launcher after the last update I'm no longer able to scale down the size of the pin Google News and Weather widget on my home screen to the size of 1½ inches and still have 5 days of weather forecast showing and pictures along the headlines in the widget. Before the update it was not a problem.

The battery problem I'll take for granted that this seems to be well known and the the phone becoming uncomfortable hot. The message here is to effect "the phone is running hot and is taking steps to cool down"

With the DTEK although it shows service status "Excellent" the phone is crashing more often than before all the latest updates. Has not been a problem previously.

Kind regards
    08-24-18 05:01 PM

On certain dates in the month if you try to slide from left or right to the next month, let's say you are in the month of June and the date is 14, now when you swipe to the right to move to the month of July the calendar will still show June.

But because of the bug it is showing June, June, August, September, and others. No July.

My feedback was notice by BlackBerry and their response I've received is they are looking into it.

On the Notable app it just is not working and causes my PRIV to freeze. The message that flashes up quickly is ",Notable is not authorised to take screen shots" .

The contact app does respond to incoming calls and text I received. No notication from the contact information I have stored in the app.

The BlackBerry Launcher after the last update I'm no longer able to scale down the size of the pin Google News and Weather widget on my home screen to the size of 1½ inches and still have 5 days of weather forecast showing and pictures along the headlines in the widget. Before the update it was not a problem.

The battery problem I'll take for granted that this seems to be well known and the the phone becoming uncomfortable hot. The message here is to effect "the phone is running hot and is taking steps to cool down"

With the DTEK although it shows service status "Excellent" the phone is crashing more often than before all the latest updates. Has not been a problem previously.

Kind regards
    I should have written NOT RESPONDING in the contact app. It was my typo error.

My apologies
    08-24-18 05:05 PM

Kind regards
    Thanks for clarifying. Hopefully someone experiencing the same will chip in.

I tried the Calendar, and it it works fine for me.

The contact app is giving me proper notification of which contact is calling or texting. So it seems to be working fine as well.

My phone gets hot with two apps, one is a game, Futurama, and it always has done that if I play it long, but it still works fine whilst cooling down. The second is while I am reading the news using RSS Savvy, but again, that has been the case for some time, and I attribute it to the added crap the news sites are including, video adds and the like. Not new though, and I have had no crashes after updating the Blackberry apps.

I am not using Blackberry Launcher at the moment, I am using Nova.

As for Noteable, it is working well. Did you give it all the permissions it asked for? I know, dumb question, but I had to ask.

Hope you get it figured out. I have seen no change after the updates. Now, I'm not using the launcher though.
    08-24-18 05:15 PM
    Yes, all permissions granted.

I think you may have the solution, the culprit may very well be the BlackBerry Launcher as almost all functions and apps are dependent on it.

The only way I'll find out is after the factory reset to install the apps one at a time to identify the one causing these issues.
    08-24-18 06:08 PM
    I'm wondering if BB has stopped optimization of apps for Priv, I've noticed with more recent updates the phone has become more unusable and unstable with each release to the point the battery drain in just a couple of hours. It kind of surprised me it was acting that way when the amount of free RAM was actually the best I ever seen it at averaging 500MB over the usual 250ish.
    08-25-18 01:53 AM
    Yes, all permissions granted.

I think you may have the solution, the culprit may very well be the BlackBerry Launcher as almost all functions and apps are dependent on it.

The only way I'll find out is after the factory reset to install the apps one at a time to identify the one causing these issues.
    Why don't you simply install Nova Launcher first instead of doing the reset to see if it fixes the issue? That would be less hassle, and you would know if it were the launcher. I'm not saying to use Nova forever, just as a troubleshooting method rather than the destructive reset.

I still have yet to do a reset on my Priv and it still works well.
    08-25-18 04:47 PM
    Okay, I have enabled BB Launcher, and Notables works fine. I can take screen shots. There has to be something else on your phone interfering. You have to have some permission or setting preventing Noteables from being able to take the screenshot, maybe a storage permission issue. Keep looking. I really don't see the need to do a reset. Yes it may work, nit only because it will clear a setting that could be set without doing a reset.
    Last edited by PHughes; 08-25-18 at 05:15 PM.
    08-25-18 04:50 PM
    Actually, I was thinking the opposite. Recent app updates in the last couple of months seem to have improved battery life. But I do keep my battery between 20-80% capacity, as recommended by many li ion battery commentators including for electric bike batteries.
    Overall performance is fine, apps launch smartly and I can't recall the last app freeze except Google Play Services in a second account. Fixed by deleting and setting up account again.
    08-26-18 07:19 AM
    Okay, I have enabled BB Launcher, and Notables works fine. I can take screen shots. There has to be something else on your phone interfering. You have to have some permission or setting preventing Noteables from being able to take the screenshot, maybe a storage permission issue. Keep looking. I really don't see the need to do a reset. Yes it may work, nit only because it will clear a setting that could be set without doing a reset.
    Thanks for all your support and suggestions.

I think I may have narrow the culprits down to either of these 3.

1. BlackBerry Launcher

2. BlackBerry Hub and Services

3. DTEK

The battery statistics is showing the BlackBerry Hub and Services using 20%,
    BlackBerry DTEK 15%.

I'll give the Nova Launcher a try as you suggested, however I think it is absurdity that one will have to use a none BlackBerry Launcher on a BlackBerry phone for the phone to function flawless.
    08-26-18 07:31 AM
    Actually, I was thinking the opposite. Recent app updates in the last couple of months seem to have improved battery life. But I do keep my battery between 20-80% capacity, as recommended by many li ion battery commentators including for electric bike batteries.
    Overall performance is fine, apps launch smartly and I can't recall the last app freeze except Google Play Services in a second account. Fixed by deleting and setting up account again.
    Thank you kindly for your attention and response.

May I please ask you what you mean with 20 - 80%.

,I'm I correct to assume you mean you do not charge your PRIV to 100% at all and, how many hours of operation are you getting from your PRIV with a charge of 20 - 80% ?????
    08-26-18 07:36 AM
    Thanks for all your support and suggestions.

I think I may have narrow the culprits down to either of these 3.

1. BlackBerry Launcher

2. BlackBerry Hub and Services

3. DTEK

The battery statistics is showing the BlackBerry Hub and Services using 20%,
    BlackBerry DTEK 15%.

I'll give the Nova Launcher a try as you suggested, however I think it is absurdity that one will have to use a none BlackBerry Launcher on a BlackBerry phone for the phone to function flawless.
    Okay, but I am using all of those. Since yesterday I have been using the BB Launcher, and have had no issues. I can even resize any widget I put on the screen. DTEK give me no problems, and as always, I don't even give it a thought since it is as if it isn't even there, completely unobtrusive, as it should be. As for Blackberry Hub and Services, I would think if it were causing issues, this forum would be flooded with posts since every Blackberry device uses it, with the exception of the very few who have stopped using it.

As for percentage of battery use, that doesn't mean much, you have to look at the mAh used. Are you leaving DTEK open? Once I look at it, which is rarely, I go to the recent apps screen and swipe to "close" it.

Good luck with your issues, but I truly believe you are looking in the wrong places. There has to be something else going on. As I said, I have zero issues with any of these apps, once again I do not use Privacy Shade though. As in my other post, with redactor open, you cannot use the screenshot function of Noteables, but that doesn't sound like your issue.
    08-26-18 11:18 AM
    >May I please ask you what you mean with 20 - 80%.

Lithium battery chemistry means that electrochemical processes become permanent on the anode and cathode when charge is below 20% and above 80%. Hence batteries die. Lots to Google for.

So, my phone lasts most of the day unless I am caning it for a few hours.
    08-26-18 11:54 AM
    [QUOTH =PHughes;13266887]Okay, but I am using all of those. Since yesterday I have been using the BB Launcher, and have had no issues. I can even resize any widget I put on the screen. DTEK give me no problems, and as always, I don't even give it a thought since it is as if it isn't even there, completely unobtrusive, as it should be. As for Blackberry Hub and Services, I would think if it were causing issues, this forum would be flooded with posts since every Blackberry device uses it, with the exception of the very few who have stopped using it.

As for percentage of battery use, that doesn't mean much, you have to look at the mAh used. Are you leaving DTEK open? Once I look at it, which is rarely, I go to the recent apps screen and swipe to "close" it.

Good luck with your issues, but I truly believe you are looking in the wrong places. There has to be something else going on. As I said, I have zero issues with any of these apps, once again I do not use Privacy Shade though. As in my other post, with redactor open, you cannot use the screenshot function of Noteables, but that doesn't sound like your issue.[/QUOTE]

As I wrote in my earlier comment I don't have any other apps with the exception of Duck Duck browser and Microsoft Lens app on my PRIV.

I don't play games and puzzles on the phone.

I have from the day I have the PRIV disabled the WatchDox, Gmail, and Hangouts apps.

The Google Weather and News widget as you see from the attached picture has to be spread across the entire width of the screen to show 5 days weather forecast and pictures on the left side along the headlines.

Prior to the updates I could scale this widget down to the size of a 1½" square and still have 5 days weather forecast and pictures along the headlines.

I cannot do this since the updates.

Kind regards
    Attached Thumbnails BlackBerry apps updates-screenshot_20180826-190623-2.jpg  
    08-26-18 01:51 PM
    [QUOTH =PHughes;13266887]Okay, but I am using all of those. Since yesterday I have been using the BB Launcher, and have had no issues. I can even resize any widget I put on the screen. DTEK give me no problems, and as always, I don't even give it a thought since it is as if it isn't even there, completely unobtrusive, as it should be. As for Blackberry Hub and Services, I would think if it were causing issues, this forum would be flooded with posts since every Blackberry device uses it, with the exception of the very few who have stopped using it.

Good luck with your issues, but I truly believe you are looking in the wrong places. There has to be something else going on. As I said, I have zero issues with any of these apps, once again I do not use Privacy Shade though. As in my other post, with redactor open, you cannot use the screenshot function of Noteables, but that doesn't sound like your issue.
    As I wrote in my earlier comment I don't have any other apps with the exception of Duck Duck browser and Microsoft Lens app on my PRIV.

I have from the day I have the PRIV disabled the WatchDox, Gmail, and Hangouts apps.

The Google Weather and News widget as you see from the attached picture has to be spread across the entire width of the screen to show 5 days weather forecast and pictures on the left side along the headlines.

Prior to the updates I could scale this widget down to the size of a 1½" square and still have 5 days weather forecast and pictures along the headlines.

Kind regards[/QUOTE]

Here is a screen shot of what my home screen with the Google Weather and News widget scale down.

Unfortunately, I cannot do this after the latest update.
    Attached Thumbnails BlackBerry apps updates-screenshot_20180827-175635-2.jpg  
    08-27-18 12:06 PM

Kind regards
    Here is a screen shot of what my home screen with the Google Weather and News widget scale down.

Unfortunately, I cannot do this after the latest update.[/QUOTE]

Here is what it is after the updates.
    Attached Thumbnails BlackBerry apps updates-screenshot_20180827-180903.jpg  
    08-27-18 12:12 PM

Unfortunately, I cannot do this after the latest update.
    Here is what it is after the updates.[/QUOTE]

No longer 5 days of weather forecast and no pictures on the left side along the news headlines.
    08-27-18 12:14 PM
    Here is what it is after the updates.
    No longer 5 days of weather forecast and no pictures on the left side along the news headlines.[/QUOTE]

Did you try the new BB Launcher update today? I am still using BB Launcher after having switched to see about your issues, and still no problems for me. all works as it should. I applied the new update today as well.
    08-30-18 06:24 PM
    No longer 5 days of weather forecast and no pictures on the left side along the news headlines.
    Did you try the new BB Launcher update today? I am still using BB Launcher after having switched to see about your issues, and still no problems for me. all works as it should. I applied the new update today as well.[/QUOTE]

Dear PHughes

Thank you kindly for your continued support.

May I please ask you to do the following on your PRIV,

1. Click on Settings,

2. Click on Sound and Notification,

3. Click on Notification access,

What are the settings on your PRIV for?

1. BlackBerry Hub and Services,

2. BlackBerry Launcher.

Kind regards,
    08-31-18 04:47 AM
33 12