Openmobile acl ? Truely this is becoming WebOS 2.0 (for any long-term members who remember how that went down when the end of days happened).

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk
    09-26-15 11:19 AM
    Just watch the demo that John Chen gave to the female reporter. He really doesn't know how to use a smartphone. He said it "runs Google" and couldn't navigate beyond one touch. The guy isn't going to keep developing BB10 if he needs more than a couple dozen employees to do so.

BB10 users, here already seem to be in hobbyist mode as they wake up to find one of their favorite Android apps don't work and then scramble around for the next couple of weeks to locate a patch.
    09-26-15 11:41 AM
    Just watch the demo that John Chen gave to the female reporter. He really doesn't know how to use a smartphone. He said it "runs Google" and couldn't navigate beyond one touch. The guy isn't going to keep developing BB10 if he needs more than a couple dozen employees to do so.

BB10 users, here already seem to be in hobbyist mode as they wake up to find one of their favorite Android apps don't work and then scramble around for the next couple of weeks to locate a patch.
    Lol... he applied BB10 gestures that don't work on Android... he swiped many times from down to up to call the homescreen ;-)

Workhorse: BlackBerry|Q10, SQN100-3, OS 10.3.2.2639; Power Workhorse: BlackBerry|Passport, SQW100-1, OS 10.3.2.2639 ; Germany.
    Superfly_FR and z3user like this.
    09-26-15 11:46 AM
    Openmobile acl ? Truely this is becoming WebOS 2.0 (for any long-term members who remember how that went down when the end of days happened).

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk
    Optional app, in BBWorld V.S feature embedded in OS.
    That's what I meant. OM ACL as an example only. Name it Hyper... oh, no, not again lol
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 09-26-15 at 12:46 PM.
    09-26-15 11:53 AM
    Maybe they'll finally release the Z50! Yay!

Posted using my BlackBerry Passport Stainless Steel SE (and I also have the BlackBerry Z30).
    09-26-15 11:54 AM
    Lol... he applied BB10 gestures that don't work on Android... he swiped many times from down to up to call the homescreen ;-)
    I'm sure it was because the demo was a last minute decision because of all the leaks. However, if you look at the two times that they have shown the Priv in public, one was an unflattering thumb-on-blurry screen zoom shot and the other is a inept demonstration where he couldn't get it to work.

There's a lot to make fun of about an Apple event, however, they always present their devices in best light possible. That's why people drool over them while they look to see what a new Blackberry will cost first. One is aspirational and the other is purely utilitarian. One company is clearly in love with its hardware while the other sees it as a means to an end.
    09-26-15 12:05 PM
    Chen said on the call BlackBerry 10.3.3 and 10.3.4 are coming so there's that.
    Wow 10.3.4 is incredible news that deserves a citation... or it didn't happen.
    Have a nice day.
    09-26-15 04:35 PM
    I'm sure it was because the demo was a last minute decision because of all the leaks. However, if you look at the two times that they have shown the Priv in public, one was an unflattering thumb-on-blurry screen zoom shot and the other is a inept demonstration where he couldn't get it to work.

There's a lot to make fun of about an Apple event, however, they always present their devices in best light possible. That's why people drool over them while they look to see what a new Blackberry will cost first. One is aspirational and the other is purely utilitarian. One company is clearly in love with its hardware while the other sees it as a means to an end.
    One company respects it's customers... the other treats them like chumps.

Well Mr god Chen... after 15 years of being the most loyal BlackBerry customer anyone could hope for... I am finished being a chump. I have purchased my very last BlackBerry device.

Posted via CB10
    extisis likes this.
    09-26-15 05:24 PM
    Chen's own words about switching to Android:

�When this first leaked I thought the Crackberry people was going to send an assassin to kill me,� he quipped. �One thing is good for our people: We have some really committed diehards. I respect that there�s a lot of heritage here, a lot of pride. If the math doesn�t add up, the math doesn�t add up. We could keep the pride and die hungry or we can eat well and not so proud, maybe. So I chose to eat well. It�s good for the company to continue to have a shot at building handsets.�

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2639
    Charlie Manson thinks he was in the right too!

Posted via Z30
    MO3iusONE and Allanon89 like this.
    09-26-15 06:22 PM
    Chen said on the call BlackBerry 10.3.3 and 10.3.4 are coming so there's that.
    I apologize to you and Jake2826 for doubting you on this.
    I found a transcript and you are correct.
    09-26-15 08:24 PM
    What about the android runtime :s
    if that's what you're worried about then your best bet is the slider or an android.
    09-26-15 10:22 PM
    Because on a strategic/marketing POV, that's the only option to see both BB10 and Android co-exist.
    This will not mean other alternatives to run Android APKs will not pop but maintaining Dalvik-like is pretty useless and will be furthermore with Marshmallow. Moreover, given the current OHA rules, I'm not sure BlackBerry will be authorized to maintain (I mean in next versions) this RT in BB10.

So, shall an Android runtime exist for BB10, I'd guess we (or (with) BlackBerry (help/blessing/money)) have to look in the direction of OpenMobile ACL, for instance. This RT would be installed on user behalf and won't compromise the OHA terms.

I believe BB10 has a single chance to survive to Google's bulldozer : stand 100% BlackBerry DNA and strictly respect the standards this company has raised to the highest level in terms of privacy (implies : stay away from Google's servers) and security capabilities (end to end highest grade security). In short : offer and assume the choice of a "pure yet restrained" BlackBerry OS and the alternate way to enjoy the good and the bad of Google's Android. [and spend some money to extend apps catalog to most vital business apps]

As for Android RT and the visible "Android Player" it consumes permanently some resources. Mine is at 17.4Mb in memory and IDLE or using 0.1-0.2% of processor resources even when I'm not using it (I assume this is Amazon updates related ?), not to mention storage and various adaptations that have been made in core OS to interact with. Removing it won't probably change drastically things performance wise but I'd guess it will eradicate a lot of side-effects some users have regarding battery life or system slowdown (due to "kill it yourself" headless-like processes from apps).

But, again, wishful thinking, probably.
    I understand there could be a logistical/legal reason for removing the Android Runtime, but why wish for it? If there are users out there who never touch Facebook or Twitter, should they be asking BlackBerry to remove those apps because they're of no use to them and potential privacy leaks? The Android Runtime under BB10 will probably go away "naturally" anyway, i.e. lack of updates, like you're predicting. I see no reason why letting current users enjoy it until it's of no use.

Strictly speaking, if BlackBerry were to make BB10 the most secure, they would only allow users to access emails/internet via BES, which would take it out of the hands of most consumers.

Perhaps the most Android free BB10 is 10.2.X, prior to all the Amazon apps. That is, the Android Runtime doesn't get run at all automatically.
    09-27-15 01:24 AM
    I understand there could be a logistical/legal reason for removing the Android Runtime, but why wish for it? If there are users out there who never touch Facebook or Twitter, should they be asking BlackBerry to remove those apps because they're of no use to them and potential privacy leaks?
    I am actually one of those that have been thinking that removing the android runtime would benefit BB10, if secured android + BES12 was for consumers and business wanting BYOD or COPE, and BB10 was ultra-secure certified COBO only (so no leisure apps).

Let me try to explain my reasoning: Native apps look really nice on BB10, with the menus close to your thumbs (so much better than having the menus as far away from your thumbs as possible). They are blazingly fast compared to the slow android, etc. The android experience on BB10 does not show BB10 in a good light, it shows android apps running worse then they should. A clean BB10, for COBO devices, is at least a nice experience to give a person. In order for this to be a consumer device, BlackBerry, after showing the world that they are not going away, would have to cross-subsidise earnings from android to convince/bribe developers to make native apps.
    Allanon89 likes this.
    09-27-15 06:20 PM
    I am actually one of those that have been thinking that removing the android runtime would benefit BB10, if secured android + BES12 was for consumers and business wanting BYOD or COPE, and BB10 was ultra-secure certified COBO only (so no leisure apps).

Let me try to explain my reasoning: Native apps look really nice on BB10, with the menus close to your thumbs (so much better than having the menus as far away from your thumbs as possible). They are blazingly fast compared to the slow android, etc. The android experience on BB10 does not show BB10 in a good light, it shows android apps running worse then they should. A clean BB10, for COBO devices, is at least a nice experience to give a person. In order for this to be a consumer device, BlackBerry, after showing the world that they are not going away, would have to cross-subsidise earnings from android to convince/bribe developers to make native apps.
    So you're saying that BlackBerry should take profits and subsidize an unprofitable proven loser? How long do you think before Prem, Fairfax and the Board of Directors fire him?

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB likes this.
    09-27-15 06:29 PM
    So you're saying that BlackBerry should take profits and subsidize an unprofitable proven loser? How long do you think before Prem, Fairfax and the Board of Directors fire him?

Posted via CB10
    It would not have been a loser had Chen actually told people about if.

The board should have fired him about 5 quarters ago.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-15 06:32 PM
    It would not have been a loser had Chen actually told people about if.

The board should have fired him about 5 quarters ago.

Posted via CB10
    Not if he's doing what the board wants.
    09-27-15 06:42 PM
    So you're saying that BlackBerry should take profits and subsidize an unprofitable proven loser?
    If they find success in with android, yes. Controlling your own OS and app store can be very advantageous in the long term, much more so than being an android OEM handset manufacturer only.

I would claim the biggest reason people do not choose to use BB10 after seeing it is because it does not have the apps they need. If they could fix that long term it would be worth subsidising.

Your arguments against this will probably be that it would not work, not that it would be better to stay an OEM only.
    Allanon89 likes this.
    09-27-15 06:46 PM
    If they find success in with android, yes. Controlling your own OS and app store can be very advantageous in the long term, much more so than being an android OEM handset manufacturer only.

I would claim the biggest reason people do not choose to use BB10 after seeing it is because it does not have the apps they need. If they could fix that long term it would be worth subsidising.

Your arguments against this will probably be that it would not work, not that it would be better to stay an OEM only.
    Where have you been the last 8 years. BBOS4-7 came and went. BB10 was a failure and the company will never have the money to develop another OS. You do remember Palm and Nokia right? We've seen this movie before and we've seen the ending...remember??

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB likes this.
    09-27-15 07:09 PM
    Where have you been the last 8 years. BBOS4-7 came and went. BB10 was a failure and the company will never have the money to develop another OS. You do remember Palm and Nokia right? We've seen this movie before and we've seen the ending...remember??

Posted via CB10
    You are right. This is a dying company. I wish there was a good option available.

Windows vs Apple vs Android.

It sucks to have used a great OS, and to then have to choose one of these lesser options.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-15 08:22 PM
    Not if he's doing what the board wants.
    With BBRY stock close to all time lows, if the board is satisfied... then they are derelict in their duties.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-15 10:14 PM

Even if they start subsidizing apps, they would be behind on app availability because other platforms will get them first. That's a problem subsidizing won't solve: getting apps /along/ with all the other platforms.
    09-28-15 02:44 AM
    Sorry, how does that relate to what I am saying? I am arguing that IF they had a successful android launch and started making good money, they should cross-subsidise BB10 for the long term gains. You respond with "the company will never have the money"? That is not exactly staying on (my) topic. Also, how have we seen this ending before? Have we seen BlackBerry market a new OS while not being seen as a dying company? I sure haven't.
    Allanon89 and nonamenomore like this.
    09-28-15 02:49 AM
    Even if they start subsidizing apps, they would be behind on app availability because other platforms will get them first. That's a problem subsidizing won't solve: getting apps /along/ with all the other platforms.
    Yes, which is why I said they would have to do this while android took care of the main market, and BB10 would be only COBO.
    09-28-15 02:51 AM
    I understand there could be a logistical/legal reason for removing the Android Runtime, but why wish for it?
    �Because it'll be the sign of an enforced strategy, not a "well ... let's keep it till we don't need it anymore".
    09-28-15 02:54 AM
    Yes, which is why I said they would have to do this while android took care of the main market, and BB10 would be only COBO.
    Okay, understood. Android for the consumer. BB10 for enterprise and only subsidize apps that the enterprise market needs.
    ayngling likes this.
    09-28-15 03:00 AM
126 ... 3456