Many of us have been pointing out Android is not a magic bullet and is a race to the bottom for the OEMs for a long time. But the Android evangelists here claim it is the only way and it is great for the consumer. We'll see how great it is when the only thing available are POS, cheap Chinese handsets that are disposable. BlackBerry can't compete with their own OS, but now they are going to compete in a razor thin margin Android world where they are the small player. RIGHT!!!!!

Posted via Z30
    lift, rthonpm, markus2107 and 1 others like this.
    09-15-15 09:05 AM
    Well, that's a bit of stating the obvious lol. No offense intended. Potential profit is the only reason they're still in hardware.
    And that hardware is still a big selling point for BES.... It's hard to say how BES is doing these days as it is lumped in with all the other Software, but it's pretty clear it isn't nearly as big a profit generator as it once was. Without BB10 phones, I'm not sure if it would even be a consideration for some of their EMM customers.

The one good thing is from what I've seen, Enterprise isn't afraid to purchase Flagship devices. Now I don't know how these changes away from carrier subsidies will affect enterprise customers down the road. But right now most everyone I know is getting offered Samsung Notes or the latest iPhone.... so even if the SLIDER is a premium priced item, I don't think that will price it out of the enterprise market.
    09-15-15 09:14 AM
    I don't think that you are allowed to copy the entire article from the Globe and Mail here.
    If it was done in quotations, it should be ok IMO
    09-15-15 09:17 AM
    It has two things to offer that are different form any other current Android smartphone:

- A keyboard (!)
    - BlackBerry Productivity Suite

Posted via CB10
    Sorry a keyboard is not that important for 99.5% of the market, in other case BB would be selling much more now, because you know they offer smartphones with keyboard now., about the BBPS do you really think is a game changer?, well we will see.
    09-15-15 09:26 AM
    BlackBerry Phones is just unique, they only serve a portion of the prosumer, whether it is Android or BlackBerry 10, the main thing here is to bring back BlackBerry.

They could at the same time maintain BlackBerry 10 OS, while making money on the Android side. A skinned Android with BlackBerry 10 Hub features and BlackBerry Blend is a smart move. I have decided to accept it as it makes sense, and as a plan to rescue the phone division of BlackBerry, and keep the blackberry phones business.

I will buy the Venice if it is an Android version. It is BlackBerry flagship phone that determined whether or not BlackBerry will continue to make & produce phone.

Posted via CB10
    AnimalPak200 likes this.
    09-15-15 09:36 AM
    If they solved the app gap, the BB10 devices would be easier to sell. That is the major complaint. Getting full Google play access, to me, would make more sense then selling an Android device in a sea of Android devices....but that might/probably isn't possible.

Unless this is Googles flagship keyboard device, this will do no different than other Android OEMs, though probably worse.
    09-15-15 10:02 AM
    I don't think that you are allowed to copy the entire article from the Globe and Mail here.
    It was posted by a forum member, not by CrackBerry, the original publisher was credited and the link to the original article was provided, so I would be surprised if this didn't fall under Canada's Fair Use copyright guidelines.
    I doubt this meets the standard for fair dealing in Canada: Fair Dealing Requirements for UBC Faculty and Staff | Copyright at UBC
    09-15-15 10:13 AM
    First - They must prove it's as secure as BB on a BES and as secure if not more secure than IOS on Good and Mobile Iron. Otherwise it will not even sell as well as BB10.
    lift likes this.
    09-15-15 10:28 AM
    Notable is BlackBerry 's affirmation that they will not abandon BB10.

Posted via CB10
    Oh yes. Thank G-d for that! I mean BB's assurance. Wow. Fantastic. Can't ever go wrong on that. For certain. Uh huh. It's a good thing. As trustworthy a company as ...................................Nixon coming out of a brothel.
    lift and lnichols like this.
    09-15-15 10:39 AM
    Oh yes. Thank G-d for that! I mean BB's assurance. Wow. Fantastic. Can't ever go wrong on that. For certain. Uh huh. It's a good thing. As trustworthy a company as ...................................Nixon coming out of a brothel.
    I think there're good reasons for BlackBerry to maintain BB10:

1. Existing (BB10-native) apps and their users, about 16 million existing users. I'm not a loyal customer, so I've bought a BlackBerry smartphone if not for BES then at least for BlackBerry Hub, not for the BlackBerry logo. How would otherwise BlackBerry think it can keep its customer base?

2. Future (Android) apps that need to run on the new OS platform (the full Android subsystem) and their users, hundreds million users. I'm not a loyal customer, so I'd like to buy a new BlackBerry smartphone running Android if not for security then at least for some specific technical superiority (e.g. high integrity, real-time schedulling, responsive interrupt handling) which is available only under QNX, not for the North American origin. How would otherwise BlackBerry think it can compete with, say, East Asian vendors?

Posted via CB10
    09-15-15 01:31 PM
    Meh. Nothing new here. The slider and secure Android are far from a sure fire hit but it's better than doing nothing and watching BB 10 handset sales keep fading.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    Agreed, and if BlackBerry successfully adds enough of a distinct experience to the device (via excellent keyboard, Hub, etc) I think it will find a market.
    09-15-15 01:32 PM
    I think there're good reasons for BlackBerry to maintain BB10:

1. Existing (BB10-native) apps and their users, about 16 million existing users. I'm not a loyal customer, so I've bought a BlackBerry smartphone if not for BES then at least for BlackBerry Hub, not for the BlackBerry logo. How would otherwise BlackBerry think it can keep its customer base?

2. Future (Android) apps that need to run on the new OS platform (the full Android subsystem) and their users, hundreds million users. I'm not a loyal customer, so I'd like to buy a new BlackBerry smartphone running Android if not for security then at least for some specific technical superiority (e.g. high integrity, real-time schedulling, responsive interrupt handling) which is available only under QNX, not for the North American origin. How would otherwise BlackBerry think it can compete with, say, East Asian vendors?

Posted via CB10
    1) Do you really think there are as many as 16 million BB10 users?? My guess would be it's just under 10 million (maybe as low as 8 Million) - between attrition and buyers of multiple devices, I just don't think you can count ever device sold as a users. And the majority of those devices are pushing into their 2nd plus year of service. So let's be honest... what is their customer base really worth vs. what it would COST to keep BB10 alive and "current". Sadly I think BB10 got it's pink slip... several months ago.

2) Not sure what QNX has to do with the new Android Slider? Or what QNX would have to do with maintaining BB10?
    QNX will continue without BB10....

I think it would be a smart move to keep BB10 alive for at least a while. But I don't think they have the financial ability to do that - yeah they have a stock pile of cash, but it's easier to buy some company that to put money into operations and then show a negative cash flow. Also I don't see Google caring one bit about BlackBerry and the mess they have gotten into. If their rule is no forked OS, that is their rule......
    09-15-15 02:08 PM
    1) Do you really think there are as many as 16 million BB10 users?? My guess would be it's just under 10 million (maybe as low as 8 Million) - between attrition and buyers of multiple devices, I just don't think you can count ever device sold as a users. And the majority of those devices are pushing into their 2nd plus year of service. So let's be honest... what is their customer base really worth vs. what it would COST to keep BB10 alive and "current". Sadly I think BB10 got it's pink slip... several months ago.

2) Not sure what QNX has to do with the new Android Slider? Or what QNX would have to do with maintaining BB10?
    QNX will continue without BB10....
    For 1) I was based on fairly recent stats (I can't find the source) that BlackBerry has 50 mil. active subscribers, of which 68% using pre-BB10 OS. The more aged devices, the more new (supposedly BlackBerry) devices may be sold.

For 2) I mentioned QNX as the root of BB10, in the belief that maintaining the current state of the art (BB10 with Android subsystem) under the new name (Android) is the only technically feasible way to make 'Android superior to Android' (!). Yes we all know that would be a cheap marketing trick, but with sufficient funding, it should work.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by dusanvn; 09-15-15 at 02:47 PM.
    09-15-15 02:36 PM
    For 1) I was based on fairly recent stats (I can't find the source) that BlackBerry has 50 mil. active subscribers, of which 68% using pre-BB10 OS.
    Those stats are well over a year old. The most recent stats, per BB themselves a month ago, is that they have 30M active devices between BBOS and BB10. It's very likely that the number of active BB10 devices is below 10M, even though they've sold something like 14M total - remember that number doesn't account for returns or people who have since switched to something else. It also doesn't account for the fact that some percentage of BB10 users own multiple BB10 phones.
    09-15-15 02:46 PM
    Those stats are well over a year old. The most recent stats, per BB themselves a month ago, is that they have 30M active devices between BBOS and BB10. It's very likely that the number of active BB10 devices is below 10M, even though they've sold something like 14M total - remember that number doesn't account for returns or people who have since switched to something else. It also doesn't account for the fact that some percentage of BB10 users own multiple BB10 phones.
    As pre-BB10 are not marketed anymore and recently sold devices are all BB10, the current percentage of BB10 devices may be well higher than that a year ago, so there's reason not to think the current number of BB10 devices is below 10M. And it isn't necessary to distinguish active devices with active users, in sales perspective.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by dusanvn; 09-15-15 at 03:23 PM.
    09-15-15 03:03 PM
    Who writes this? If anything timing is actually perfect for a non slab phone right now because chinese are killing it when it comes to slate phones. Slider will be a breath of fresh air.
    ayngling likes this.
    09-15-15 03:08 PM
    Notable is BlackBerry 's affirmation that they will not abandon BB10.

Posted via CB10
    Uh, that affirmation is about the same as having yet "another" CEO mention the need to sell 10 million units........again.
    09-15-15 03:11 PM
    Who writes this? If anything timing is actually perfect for a non slab phone right now because chinese are killing it when it comes to slate phones. Slider will be a breath of fresh air.
    I think the basic message from this story is "Get the price right, you're just about to dive into a very crowded pool."
    lift, kbz1960, astrodan13 and 1 others like this.
    09-15-15 03:12 PM
    Android market share way up, profits from manufacturing Android devices way down. It's a good thing BB doesn't need to sell too many devices for it to be a win.
    No one knows how many android devices BlackBerry needs to sell to break even or make a profit. I'm sure a lot of money was/is going into it's development and then there are continuing costs after the device finally goes to production. It is VERY expensive to develop a new handset. That's why even the big players in the android field are not making any money. The Chinese companies that can develop and built android devices for much cheaper than most of the world are what's killing the market right now.
    This was a really bad time for BlackBerry to try and jump into this market.
    09-15-15 03:16 PM
    It has two things to offer that are different form any other current Android smartphone:

- A keyboard (!)
    - BlackBerry Productivity Suite

Posted via CB10
    Make that one. Isn't every other android phone able to install the suite?
    09-15-15 03:20 PM
    Sorry but in my opinion that is a big dream.
    09-15-15 03:21 PM
    Sorry but in my opinion that is a big dream.
    In your dreams your opinion matters.
    09-15-15 03:31 PM
    In your dreams your opinion matters.
    Same goes for anybody.
    09-15-15 03:34 PM
    Make that one. Isn't every other android phone able to install the suite?
    At this point BlackBerry is mainly selling hardware to support sales of software and services to enterprise and government customers. Consumer hardware sales will likely be less profitable.

We don't even know whether including including some components of the BlackBerry Experience Suite with the slider means they will be entirely free forever for those users.

I doubt that a company that's in the business of selling software for phones will be giving the complete Experience Suite away for free to anyone that wants it.
    09-15-15 03:55 PM
    At this point BlackBerry is mainly selling hardware to support sales of software and services to enterprise and government customers. Consumer hardware sales will likely be less profitable.

We don't even know whether including including some components of the BlackBerry Experience Suite with the slider means they will be entirely free forever for those users.

I doubt that a company that's in the business of selling software for phones will be giving the complete Experience Suite away for free to anyone that wants it.
    The way BlackBerry has been going it won't be free for slider purchasers either. After all BBM features aren't free to all BlackBerry owners.
    09-15-15 04:09 PM
88 1234