I purchased a factory unlocked priv from best buy. I want to request a replacement due to excessive screen wobble when the slider is open. I've tried all the tricks for bending and twisting but nothing corrects it. Screen is nice and tight when closed.

To my question: has anyone who bought from best buy tried to replace through best buy? Or will they try to send me to BlackBerry to get it replaced?
    04-11-17 12:22 AM
    I've tried all the tricks for bending and twisting but nothing corrects it.
    That certainly wouldn't have helped. That almost certainly contributed to the problem..

To my question: has anyone who bought from best buy tried to replace through best buy? Or will they try to send me to BlackBerry to get it replaced?
    Did you buy any of their protection plan offerings or are you just hoping they'll replace it?
    04-11-17 12:37 AM
    For hardware defects and quirks that aren't normal like this, I would either do one of two things. Return it/switch it out at Best Buy or attempt to do a warranty repair with Blackberry. Best Buy can probably handle a return, being the retailer it is and that unit will probably come back to haunt Blackberry in one small way or another.

Going through a warranty replacement/repair with BB will likely take more time and hassle but I guess it comes down to the small details.

Are you in the return period for Best Buy and can actually return it? Manufacturers prefer if you go through their warranty repair services to maintain their relations with retailers and if you're a hardcore Blackberry fan that may be the way to go.

Are you okay with going through warranty channels, which should be relatively smooth sailing given the nature of the issue. And it's definitely longer than the return period for just about any retailer.
    Also, I'm assuming you didn't get insurance or anything from Best Buy.

But Best Buy refers you to BlackBerry, no loss.
    04-11-17 12:46 AM
    That certainly wouldn't have helped. That almost certainly contributed to the problem..
    It is a very gentle twist and what I have seen recommended on this forum as well as several you tube channels

Why would I buy a protection plan if BlackBerry covers defects for 12 months? I am really just trying to see if anyone has experience with best buy and the BlackBerry warranty. Several other threads that don't mention specific retailers say go through the retailer and others say that they get into a circle between the retailer and BlackBerry. I guess I can just try and see what happens, which I will, but wanted to see if anyone had any specific experience before I go to work on it.

My imak case certainly helps stabilize a little bit with the sides coming up over the back. And if I slide a 1/4 inch piece of business card up the right side, it's perfect. But I am not sure how to hold that in place and have the slider work properly.
    04-11-17 01:13 AM
    Why would I buy a protection plan if BlackBerry covers defects for 12 months?
    Warranties don't usually cover accidental damage, and in the case of the Priv, I know replacing the display in the event of a glass-breaking accident would not be cheap. I'm generally okay with my devices so I didnt get it, but it made me think. So the protection plan is for those kinds of damage. Which doesn't apply here though.

(cheapest I found for a replacement display is $200 online and there's no good tempered glass screen protector like on other phones with less display curvature - I'm sure S7 Edge owners feel our pain.)
    04-11-17 03:07 AM
    It's a known defect on some devices. Not accidental damage. I wouldn't expect a warranty to cover me if I broke something.

Getting off topic a bit. If anyone has had to warranty a best buy purchased device, it would be great to hear from your experience.
    04-11-17 08:50 AM
    I also bought a factory unlocked Priv from Best Buy - was your purchase in Canada?

If so, Best Buy Canada is not authorized to handle warranty claims for phones, not sure about the US though.
    04-11-17 11:39 PM
    I also bought a factory unlocked Priv from Best Buy - was your purchase in Canada?

If so, Best Buy Canada is not authorized to handle warranty claims for phones, not sure about the US though.
    Nope, US. Thanks for he input though. I haven't had time to try getting ahold of best buy yet, but will update when I do.
    04-12-17 11:49 AM