So... hypothetically, if they are going to go full Android on this device, it will undoubtedly come with BBM out of the box. Wouldn't this be THE best time to finally release a cross platform video chat option?

I know it's unlikely, but I'm just saying... this is likely a feature that Android adopters will have to sacrifice otherwise. I'm really hoping BlackBerry doesn't hold anything back with this one. However, I'm slowly losing my optimism with the silence from BlackBerry. I really hope things start to get announced officially. We need some real hype from the source! Not just leaks and speculation...
    BB2ooo likes this.
    08-24-15 03:23 PM
    It's been out for a long time.

It's a subscription service called BBM Meetings.

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2339
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    08-24-15 03:32 PM
    So... hypothetically, if they are going to go full Android on this device, it will undoubtedly come with BBM out of the box. Wouldn't this be THE best time to finally release a cross platform video chat option?

I know it's unlikely, but I'm just saying... this is likely a feature that Android adopters will have to sacrifice otherwise. I'm really hoping BlackBerry doesn't hold anything back with this one. However, I'm slowly losing my optimism with the silence from BlackBerry. I really hope things start to get announced officially. We need some real hype from the source! Not just leaks and speculation...
    They already have cross platform BBM video. It's called BBM meetings and it includes more than just one-one video. It works great! The catch is that you need a licence to initiate it, so will they drop that requirement or lower the price for a scaled down version? Great question. We shall see...
    08-24-15 03:34 PM
    It's been out for a long time.

It's a subscription service called BBM Meetings.

Yes, I'm well aware and I do actually think that it works great. However, the built in video calling option from one BlackBerry device to another is an awesome feature to have included, no monthly fee required.

It is doubtful that they will have anything but the current Android version of BBM included with the Slider but it would be a great time to deploy that feature, if they have any plan to.

In fact, it would be great to see it included as a bundled BBM subscription regardless of the platform you are on. BBM Meetings is not that user-friendly to set up. It should be as simple as adding a subscription within BBM and it would be great to see a 'lighter' version for one-on-one chats for free (or at least cheaper than Meetings) like we have now with BB10.
    08-24-15 03:46 PM
    Yes, I'm well aware and I do actually think that it works great. However, the built in video calling option from one BlackBerry device to another is an awesome feature to have included, no monthly fee required.

It is doubtful that they will have anything but the current Android version of BBM included with the Slider but it would be a great time to deploy that feature, if they have any plan to.

In fact, it would be great to see it included as a bundled BBM subscription regardless of the platform you are on. BBM Meetings is not that user-friendly to set up. It should be as simple as adding a subscription within BBM and it would be great to see a 'lighter' version for one-on-one chats for free (or at least cheaper than Meetings) like we have now with BB10.
    With BlackBerry switching to Android, we will have plenty of free options. No point of pouring money into that.

08-24-15 03:57 PM
    With BlackBerry switching to Android, we will have plenty of free options. No point of pouring money into that.

Gotta spend money to make money!
    08-24-15 04:53 PM

Actually, since BlackBerry is shifting their focus to services and security, they might want to add this feature. That would mean BBM exposure on every Slider sold.

Posted via CB10
    08-24-15 04:53 PM
    Actually, since BlackBerry is shifting their focus to services and security, they might want to add this feature. That would mean BBM exposure on every Slider sold.

Posted via CB10
    That would seem to make Chense!
    08-24-15 04:56 PM

Posted via CB10
    It's awfully hard to charge for something already offered for free.

BBM Meetings however has value-add. Something worth paying for.

08-24-15 05:01 PM
    It's awfully hard to charge for something already offered for free.

BBM Meetings however has value-add. Something worth paying for.

It's also about quality though... I'm of the type that would be willing to pay for something of higher quality even if there were a similar offering for free. Though it doesn't always apply in every scenario, it really is quite often that you get what you pay for.
    08-24-15 08:04 PM
    And really, this thread was mostly just to point out something that would likely be lost with the Slider if it is only running Android. It will not likely have any special offerings like video chat built into BBM out of the box.

Just something to ponder when weighing the pros and cons of the DroidBerry concept.
    08-24-15 08:06 PM
    One on one should be free and BBM meetings if need more than that. Or maybe at the least still have BlackBerry to BlackBerry free on Android as a selling point to get BlackBerry instead of Samsung or something

Posted via CB10
    08-24-15 10:24 PM
    How about having all BlackBerry apps free on a BlackBerry phone, but subscription based on non-BlackBerry phones? That gives access to all, but some added value and incentive for buying BlackBerry-made devices.

Posted via CB10
    midnightdoom likes this.
    08-26-15 04:01 PM
    I just hope that they don't force you to have BBM on your Android BB phone like BB10 does.

BBM = unwanted bloatware in my opinion.
    08-27-15 04:41 PM