Has anybody got an explanation why did they even bothered to release PASSPORT SILVER edition?

Is it making money for them?

If they knew they're going android route (which I assume they had to know for a long time, since they didn't even invest in new hardware for classic except trackpad), why didn't they test waters with PASSPORT SILVER edition running android and then they could've released flawless experience with PRIV?
    Last edited by yipikaye; 10-15-15 at 06:39 AM.
    10-15-15 06:28 AM
    You can not really test the waters with Android because you lose your ability to manufacture new BB10 models due to not having run time. You have to go all in.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-15 09:35 AM
    Has anybody got an explanation why did they even bothered to release PASSPORT SILVER edition?
    It has been speculated that the Passport SE was at first meant to be a carrier exclusive model but was eventually cancelled by the carrier so BB released it as a "slightly improved model". I just do not buy that explanation, however, I have no other ideas why BB actually did that other than they just wanted to rectify the frame sturdiness of the original Passport or improve the keyboard in some small way.
    10-15-15 09:45 AM
    But you never know.... I understand that LG is bringing webOS back to mobile
    I looked around and haven't seen any info on this. If it is true, I would be very interested.
    10-15-15 10:02 AM
    BB10 Variant of Priv [Rumour]-https-3a-2f-2f36.media.tumblr.com-2f604dd898829321d64777afb83ac039cf-2ftumblr_nw9n1s54ev1utie16o.jpg

BB10?

Posted via CB10
    10-15-15 10:07 AM
    I looked around and haven't seen any info on this. If it is true, I would be very interested.
    It may have been sarcasm. LG has webOS powered TV s now (getting good reviews!) and they also have a smartwatch running webOS. But there is NO info on mobile devices. Who knows though, it may happen some day. Samsung is using Tizen and just announced another phone running it in India.
    10-15-15 10:07 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	https%3A%2F%2F36.media.tumblr.com%2F604dd898829321d64777afb83ac039cf%2Ftumblr_nw9n1s54eV1utie16o.jpg 
Views:	1022 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	375897

BB10?

Posted via CB10
    Render only--means nothing!
    10-15-15 10:09 AM

If they knew they're going android route (which I assume they had to know for a long time, since they didn't even invest in new hardware for classic except trackpad), why didn't they test waters with PASSPORT SILVER edition running android and then they could've released flawless experience with PRIV?
    It's the same hardware in a different housing... So i don't think there was a massive R&D cost there.
    10-15-15 10:10 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	https%3A%2F%2F36.media.tumblr.com%2F604dd898829321d64777afb83ac039cf%2Ftumblr_nw9n1s54eV1utie16o.jpg 
Views:	1022 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	375897

BB10?

Posted via CB10
    That's an old, and non-official render...
    10-15-15 10:11 AM
    Final paragraph says Putin ordered this apparently.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-15 11:35 AM

As others have said and Bla1ze mentioned in a pod cast... the Passport SE was rumored to be a canceled order.

Why didn't they test the Android waters with it..... because the Android solution wasn't ready is the most likely reason. We have still not see much of the BlackBerry Experience in action yet. So I doubt Chen wanted to sit on millions of dollars in hardware waiting for Nov or Dec.

Plus the Passport is a fringe device, even among the BlackBerry fanbase and enterprise elite... very few have bought it. So it's not a good form factor to lead off your new entry into the Android world.
    10-15-15 11:46 AM
    Agree that the Passport is a fringe device. Why do they think the world wants a square screen when a 4:3 screen makes much more sense for that format?

Posted via CB10
    10-15-15 12:56 PM
    As others have said and Bla1ze mentioned in a pod cast... the Passport SE was rumored to be a canceled order.

Why didn't they test the Android waters with it..... because the Android solution wasn't ready is the most likely reason. We have still not see much of the BlackBerry Experience in action yet. So I doubt Chen wanted to sit on millions of dollars in hardware waiting for Nov or Dec.

Plus the Passport is a fringe device, even among the BlackBerry fanbase and enterprise elite... very few have bought it. So it's not a good form factor to lead off your new entry into the Android world.
    Allthough it's not for me I'd have to disagree the Passport definetly puts something different to the table. With the oct. 6th Windows presententation and the work like a boss slogan I think an Android Passport would be a welcome contender. Problem with the Priv is I don't really need it and neither will anyone else. Android passport has a clear potential for spreadsheet office and medical.
    gfondeur likes this.
    10-15-15 02:00 PM
    Render or not. It still shows you that the Priv with BB10 exist but just in Waterloo. If you zoom in on the device you can actually see the PIN watermark on the bottom left. Point is it exist and the rumor can very well be true and since I don't like salt all that much, I'm gonna take this with a grain of rice instead.

Posted via CB10
    Attachment 375919
    Last edited by Kryngle; 10-15-15 at 03:08 PM.
    10-15-15 02:47 PM
    Is that a rumor with or without an android runtime?
    Bbnivende likes this.
    10-15-15 03:03 PM
    Allthough it's not for me I'd have to disagree the Passport definetly puts something different to the table. With the oct. 6th Windows presententation and the work like a boss slogan I think an Android Passport would be a welcome contender. Problem with the Priv is I don't really need it and neither will anyone else. Android passport has a clear potential for spreadsheet office and medical.
    Sorry, the Passport format - with or without a keyboard is just too wide. A larger one would make a good Tablet though.
    gfondeur likes this.
    10-15-15 03:36 PM
    It is not a question of drivers, it is about moving bbos 10 to 64-bit. Passport (801) is 32-Bit, Priv (808) is 64-bit. So if it would only be a question of drivers, it would not make a very big deal to implement. But moving everything to 64-bit is a different story. With Android they do not need to and the drivers are more or less generic and might be part of the purchase deal from Qualcomm. What is only needed is to pimp the platform to support specific BBRY apps and security workarounds.

So as long as there is no upgrade to 64-bit (bbos 10.4, bbos 11 or something) Priv with bbos 10 is wishful thinking and might only happen, if Android Priv is commercially successful and would give the financial space to go for it, but - taking everything into account what has happened recently (retirement of Dan Dodge), this is highly questionable.

It is a real pity to throw the only real future oriented mobile OS (microkernel) under the bus.

Just my 2 cents
    gfondeur likes this.
    10-15-15 08:23 PM
    BlackBerry 10 PRIV would be very low on the pecking order (IMO). They need an Android all touch and a really current Android Classic before. Maybe even an Android Passport.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-15 08:58 PM
    BlackBerry 10 PRIV would be very low on the pecking order (IMO). They need an Android all touch and a really current Android Classic before. Maybe even an Android Passport.

Posted via CB10
    This is the LAST thing they need. How do you think they are supposed to compete with the bajillion touch Android phones out there already? Unless you mean just reflashing the unsold Leaps and selling them for $129 to liquidate them.

They need to find their own niche. Building what everyone else is building means you can only compete on price and specs.
    gfondeur likes this.
    10-15-15 09:22 PM
    This is the LAST thing they need. How do you think they are supposed to compete with the bajillion touch Android phones out there already? Unless you mean just reflashing the unsold Leaps and selling them for $129 to liquidate them.

They need to find their own niche. Building what everyone else is building means you can only compete on price and specs.
    Have not met anyone who is thinking about getting a PKB. Great to have a niche but this niche will not generate 5 million units in sales. They need to find a niche in the VKB world. Fantastic build, great camera, removable battery, on board memory, BB10 features, security or privacy.

The PRIV supposedly has good specs. It should be a simple matter to make an all touch version of the same. The PRIV will have a dedicated fan base, just not a large one. To not have an all touch version of the PRIV is like leaving the low hanging fruit.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 10-16-15 at 01:33 AM.
    10-15-15 10:22 PM
    Have not met anyone who is thinking about getting a PKB. Great to have a niche but this niche will not generate 5 million units in sales. They need to find a niche in the VKB world. Fantastic build, great camera, removable battery, on board memory, BB10 features, security or privacy.

The PRIV supposedly has good specs. It should be a simple matter to make an all touch version of the same. The PRIV will have a dedicated fan base, just not a large one. To not have an all touch version of the PRIV is like leaving the low hanging fruit.

Posted via CB10
    I want to agree. However, if security is all you have to differentiate yourself from the rest, you put your business one posted hack away from losing your platform.

A PKB is what it is. Some people miss it from the bbos days and others want to try something new.

Posted via Manly Passport
    gfondeur likes this.
    10-16-15 06:57 AM
    I suppose BlackBerry could follow iPhone.

Sell one or two PKB models and upgrade them minor and major on a iPhone cycle. Become viable and stable then branch out to all touch or sell the hand set business all together.

Posted via CB10
    10-16-15 09:38 AM
    Render or not. It still shows you that the Priv with BB10 exist but just in Waterloo.
    How does that follow? It would be easy to create a simulated home screen picture and place it on a 3D model of a device. Just because someone did that doesn't mean BB10 was ported to the Priv hardware.
    tufcustomer likes this.
    10-16-15 02:51 PM
    Render or not. It still shows you that the Priv with BB10 exist but just in Waterloo.
    BB10 Variant of Priv [Rumour]-gk324_flying-pig-rgb-final_lr_web.jpg

Drawing or not, it still shows you that pigs fly.
    10-16-15 03:05 PM
    Render or not. It still shows you that the Priv with BB10 exist but just in Waterloo. If you zoom in on the device you can actually see the PIN watermark on the bottom left. Point is it exist and the rumor can very well be true and since I don't like salt all that much, I'm gonna take this with a grain of rice instead.

Posted via CB10
    Attachment 375919
    What? Not it doesn't!

Posted via CB10
    10-16-15 03:15 PM
112 ... 2345