I have got the latest security update more than a month ago; they release updates for KeyOne regularly, but not for the priv; I was expecting a while ago an OS upgrade to Android 7 but it will not happen. I wonder whether they dropped support altogether...
    12-05-17 08:27 PM
    I have got the latest security update more than a month ago; they release updates for KeyOne regularly, but not for the priv; I was expecting a while ago an OS upgrade to Android 7 but it will not happen. I wonder whether they dropped support altogether...
    Maybe......
    12-05-17 08:36 PM
    I think if they fail to deliver December's monthly update its pretty obvious. Few more days to weeks to see.
    Wezard likes this.
    12-05-17 09:03 PM
    I bought my PRIV factory unlocked from Best Buy in April this year and have received monthly security updates through November. I'm waiting to see if one comes this month as well. My understanding is that BlackBerry PRIV will stay on MM and I'm happy with that! My husband's Samsung Galaxy J7 did get the N upgrade and he can't stand it and neither can I.
    Rico4you and Qorax like this.
    12-05-17 09:07 PM
    it seems no security update anything
    12-06-17 08:25 AM
    it seems no security update anything
    The month isn't over yet. We got October's update really late, so November can be later in the month as well.
    12-06-17 10:40 AM
    Letting hope...
    12-06-17 11:21 AM
    Already ?
    12-06-17 12:27 PM
    The October update was delayed quite a bit, so BB could work the Krack fix into it. It appears BB has combined the Oct and Nov updates, not the first time this has been done. We should get a Dec update, (prolly late, Priv is pretty low on the totem pole these days)
    If there is nothing by Dec 30, then.............................................. ...........
    We can guess all we want, but BB isn't going to tell us ((insert the 4 letter word of your choice here)).
    12-07-17 04:36 AM
    Didn't they announce that support for the Priv would end sometime in 2018? You should get a December update...but...after that, it could stop at any time.
    12-07-17 05:16 AM
    Google announced Marshmallow updates ending sometime 3rd qtr '18.
    As usual, BB isn't saying anything. Most of us are assuming, (hoping) that BB stays with it till then.
    12-07-17 07:48 PM
    You know how long I kept my BB Classic without an update? It didn't bother me one bit...
    Judah27, OriginalLucy and andy957 like this.
    12-07-17 09:46 PM
    Google announced Marshmallow updates ending sometime 3rd qtr '18.
    As usual, BB isn't saying anything. Most of us are assuming, (hoping) that BB stays with it till then.
    Do you have a link?

I heard spring.
    12-07-17 09:47 PM
    sure its good while we get updates, but to be honest I work without them well too. in my passport I have no updates at all but I'm happy with it, I'm happy with my PRIV too as I love both of them.
    12-08-17 12:16 AM
    Is it worth it for anybody here who has Twitter to reach out to Alex Thurber, the executive who deals with the device part of the BlackBerry business unit?

I don't have Twitter but it was Thurber who had mentioned that the security updates on the software side would continue until sometime in 2018. He announced it on the UTB Blog podcast while at the same time mentioning that Priv wouldn't be getting Android N.

An old fashion email as well wouldn't hurt as well!

Posted via CB10
    12-08-17 01:35 AM
    Do you have a link?

I heard spring.
    I don't, working from memory. Which could be faulty. Google claims 3 years of security updates for each OS, which would put it Oct 2018.
    Course even if Google follows through, that doesn't mean BB will follow their lead.

I'm trying to figure out how long I'd be comfortable running the Priv without security updates. Considering the baked in BB security, and the fact that I store nothing on the phone that would be a problem if it 'got lose', I'm thinking another year, (after the last security update). I don't even keep user names on the device, much less passwords.
    12-08-17 05:54 AM
    I work without them well too. in my passport
    Big difference between running a BB OS without security and Android without security.
    Security through Obscurity really is effective. There simply aren't enough devices in use to make it worth even considering taking the time and effort to write malicious code.
    12-08-17 06:02 AM
    I don't, working from memory. Which could be faulty. Google claims 3 years of security updates for each OS, which would put it Oct 2018.
    Course even if Google follows through, that doesn't mean BB will follow their lead.

I'm trying to figure out how long I'd be comfortable running the Priv without security updates. Considering the baked in BB security, and the fact that I store nothing on the phone that would be a problem if it 'got lose', I'm thinking another year, (after the last security update). I don't even keep user names on the device, much less passwords.
    December 2017 is only the second security bulletin Google has published which didn't include any patches for KitKat. They'd still need to get past Lollipop before they would reach the point of discontinuing patches for Marshmallow.

[edit] Let's be clear, I'm talking about patches to the source code of the operating system, not patches to binary builds of operating systems ready for distribution to consumer devices. Google is only directly responsible for binary builds targeting Nexus and Pixel branded devices; they've already stopped issuing actual builds for any Nexus devices that were left behind on Marshmallow. [/edit]

I have no idea how long their process of deprecating old operating systems will really take, but going from KitKat through Lollipop all the way to Marshmallow in the course of 12 months seems really ambitious.
    12-08-17 07:30 AM
    Say that Oct 5 was the last BB Security Update, what does that mean in real life? No more accessing users' banks and other financial institutions? No more on-line shopping, via BB, at all? I'm trying to gauge the practical ramifications.

I'm also intrigued by Wezard's premise of "Security through Obscurity." An arcane phone may have its advantages, and would an on-line's own security (e.g. Amazon) also help prevent malfeasance?

Or am I mixing apples with oranges?
    12-08-17 08:24 AM
    Apples and Zebras
    Banks and such don't know what security level you are on. As long as they continue to support Marshmallow you are good. Course they will know when Google stops security updates for any OS, and may take their cue from that.
    12-08-17 08:43 AM
    Ah, I think I get it now.
    12-08-17 09:04 AM
    I got a security update a week or so back... updates seem to come... upgrades (N or O) no more
    12-08-17 03:42 PM
    I got a security update a week or so back... updates seem to come...
    What is your patch level, and Build number? It's under settings > about > phone, you'll have to scroll for the Build number.
    I suspect you are on Oct 5, 2017 patch and build # AAQ280, (unless it's a carrier phone, then build might be different), but got your update several weeks later than most of us.
    12-08-17 05:29 PM
    Mines says Oct 5, 2016... How do you get these updates? Mines is apparently a year behind.
    12-08-17 07:17 PM
    Mines says Oct 5, 2016... How do you get these updates? Mines is apparently a year behind.
    What’s you device initially locked to a carrier? Undates would more than likely come from that particular carrier. You may need a sim from them to push an update
    12-08-17 10:31 PM
104 123 ...