So, a modern device is the one step forward and the lack of track pad and a non-removable battery are the 2 steps back. Got it!
    When did I say the lack of a non removable battery is 2 steps back?

Try harder.
    09-17-15 05:24 AM
    Today I chose to use my Passport. I got up four hours and thirty minutes ago, disconnected from the charger, have not used any android apps, but is now at 50% battery.

I was even on a flight for a little less than an hour (OSL+ to ARN).

How you guys can last a whole day I have no idea.
    It is now 12:30, halfway through my lunch, and the the Passports enters battery saving mode. Again, how you guys last a whole day on one charge I have no idea.
    Last edited by ayngling; 09-17-15 at 06:35 AM. Reason: typo
    09-17-15 05:32 AM
    How would a trackpad function on Android?
    Say you want to select an icon at the top of the screen with one hand. You would just hold your phone like this right:

BB Slider - No trackpad and removeable battery - dealbreaker?-blackberrye.jpg

No... with a trackpad you could just scroll up easily and click:

BB Slider - No trackpad and removeable battery - dealbreaker?-blackberry-bold-9900-review-12.jpg

Thats just one example of how it would function. Makes using a big phone so much easier.
    Toodeurep, Plazmic Flame and allwi like this.
    09-17-15 06:00 AM
    What if the kb works like the passports?
    Toodeurep and Plazmic Flame like this.
    09-17-15 06:05 AM
    Say you want to select an icon at the top of the screen with one hand. You would just hold your phone like this right:

No... with a trackpad you could just scroll up easily and click:

Thats just one example of how it would function. Makes using a big phone so much easier.
    No kidding. But who's going to code for it? Android hasn't been built around that functionality like legacy BBOS was. How useful is the Classic's trackpad within Android apps right now?

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2639
    09-17-15 06:11 AM
    When did I say the lack of a non removable battery is 2 steps back?

Try harder.
    Actually, you didn't say anything really. You used an old saying but didn't provide any details as to what the "1 step forwards" and "2 steps back" actually were so I filled it in for you. Maybe next time you could try a little harder to explain your point. Almost like a contribution to the discussion or something like that.

As for the OP, the lack of a trackpad and removable battery are in fact negatives.
    09-17-15 06:13 AM
    No kidding. But who's going to code for it? Android hasn't been built around that functionality like legacy BBOS was. How useful is the Classic's trackpad within Android apps right now?

Samsung turned it into the S Pen. I think it would be really cool if the track pad could function similarly. Minus the writing of course.
    09-17-15 06:15 AM
    of course it is. BlackBerry has lost it's way as soon as they fired the stuff responsible for BlackBerry os 5 - 7. Navigating through my bold is a dream with the trackpad, I almost never use the touch screen feature on it and thanks to 3 batteries it lasts a long long time.

oh and btw I would love a trackpad on my Note 4 instead of that stupid fingerprint scannescanner but i understand that Android unlike BlackBerry never intended to have that .

to me it's real simple: phone doesn't have a removable battery, micro sd slot means I don't even look at it and rather buy a so called dumb phone.
    09-17-15 06:26 AM
    Go ahead and buy a dumb phone then.
    09-17-15 06:27 AM
    Lol a dumb phone is a phone with no sd card and removable battery.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    09-17-15 06:37 AM
    Actually, you didn't say anything really. You used an old saying but didn't provide any details as to what the "1 step forwards" and "2 steps back" actually were so I filled it in for you. Maybe next time you could try a little harder to explain your point. Almost like a contribution to the discussion or something like that.

As for the OP, the lack of a trackpad and removable battery are in fact negatives.
    So I didn't say that then, you just made it up.

OK.
    09-17-15 06:38 AM
    Go ahead and buy a dumb phone then.
    go ahead and learn how to search for phones then.

there are still a lot of phones which are offering those features and as long as the bold will be sold I'm happy.

BlackBerry should've positioned it as their flagship phone and improved in an annual or at least 2 years basis. instead they have created a very complicated operating system, thousands of unfinished form factors and only lately brought back some functionality but not enough with the classic...it's a shame really.
    09-17-15 06:43 AM
    go ahead and learn how to search for phones then.

there are still a lot of phones which are offering those features and as long as the bold will be sold I'm happy.

BlackBerry should've positioned it as their flagship phone and improved in an annual or at least 2 years basis. instead they have created a very complicated operating system, thousands of unfinished form factors and only lately brought back some functionality but not enough with the classic...it's a shame really.
    It sure is. I'd like a removable battery at times but a recharge pack works too. As for the SD card, I don't think I'd get a phone without one either.
    09-17-15 06:48 AM

to me it's real simple: phone doesn't have a removable battery, micro sd slot means I don't even look at it and rather buy a so called dumb phone.
    I feel the same way but I can't go back to a dumb phone lol
    09-17-15 06:52 AM
    It is now 12:30, halfway through my lunch, and the the Passports enters battery saving mode. Again, how you guys last a whole day on one charge I have no idea.
    My Passport lasts all day and then some. Typically I can go through 1.5 days before ever getting to batter saving mode. I was stunned when a friend of mine who has a passport was telling me the same thing you are having issues with. With in 4 -5 hours he would be at 50% or less. I looked through his apps running and discovered a lot of android apps sucking the life out of his battery. He deleted all of them from his phone and the next day was getting all day results. It looks like you use them though, he didn't. I would delete them all, use the Q10 for those apps for a few days till battery life gets to where it should be, then load apps back on and monitor the results of battery drain, then see about tweaking the settings for the apps as you load them to get better battery life. Well I hope some of that helps you possibly get some better battery life.
    ayngling likes this.
    09-17-15 07:03 AM
    Now I think of it, I haven't read anyone complaining yet that the new slider does not have a trackpad like the old slider (=BB Torch 9800) had? Nobody who said that they're gonna wait for the Silder II.
    Why is this (and the fact that the battery isn't removeable) all of a sudden not a complain-worthy issue like it (=lack of trackpad) was for many Q10 users? Just curious to know. I mean, I'm not gonna wait for the Slider II (if it ever comes out that is), but I sure would have liked having both aspects on the upcoming Slider.

The old slider....
    Attachment 371593
    I never knew the old slider ran Android too
    09-17-15 07:06 AM
    My Passport lasts all day and then some. Typically I can go through 1.5 days before ever getting to batter saving mode. I was stunned when a friend of mine who has a passport was telling me the same thing you are having issues with. With in 4 -5 hours he would be at 50% or less. I looked through his apps running and discovered a lot of android apps sucking the life out of his battery. He deleted all of them from his phone and the next day was getting all day results. It looks like you use them though, he didn't. I would delete them all, use the Q10 for those apps for a few days till battery life gets to where it should be, then load apps back on and monitor the results of battery drain, then see about tweaking the settings for the apps as you load them to get better battery life. Well I hope some of that helps you possibly get some better battery life.
    Interesting to hear, that might be worth a shot, yeah. Thank you.
    09-17-15 07:59 AM
    not having a removable battery shouldn't be a dealbreaker....it isn't in the Z30s.
    How many people didn't get the Z30 because of that? Obviously not a deal break for all but I'm still using the Z10 & Q10. I like the fact that as a battery ages I can replace it for cheap. Old batteries don't hold their charge quite like a new one.

I'd take a little extra bulk for a removable battery ANY day.
    09-17-15 09:09 AM
    How many people didn't get the Z30 because of that? Obviously not a deal break for all but I'm still using the Z10 & Q10. I like the fact that as a battery ages I can replace it for cheap. Old batteries don't hold their charge quite like a new one.

I'd take a little extra bulk for a removable battery ANY day.
    it's not just the easy to replace thing it's also about privacy a phone with a removable battery is completely of if I pull the battery, with a sealed battery you never know what some spying government or the NSA might try. And yes, it can be easily checked to comparing battery stats.

also I prefer extra bulk anyways I want a well built phone that isn't slippy nor too lightweight.
    09-17-15 10:03 AM
    How would a trackpad function on Android? It wasn't great on BB10 either for that matter. It's a relic to ages past.
    Never used a Nexus One? Moving to a Nexus S, the trackball being gone was the biggest thing I had to get used to and I still missed it until I got my Classic.
    09-17-15 10:55 AM
    I did research that- I have a Samsung Galaxy S Tablet- and cannot write to the SD card- research showed that was intentionally disabled by the O/S with a complicated Rooting fix - got all of that info on Android Central
    09-17-15 12:03 PM
    After using a Z10, Z30, Passport and Leap I find the trackpad has become redundant. I test ran a work Classic a month or so ago and found it clumsy to use and not instinctive to me anymore. As to the fixed battery all I can say is "About time!". I used to be very pro removables but the loose battery issue in my Z10 quickly changed my mind, no more wads of paper pushing the battery in place. Besides, with the availability of portable pocket chargers a removable battery is moot. I can easily get 2 days of medium-heavy use out of my Passport, about the same for my Z30. I haven't used my Leap enough to judge its battery but it looks good enough.
    Last edited by HelloNuman; 09-17-15 at 01:10 PM.
    09-17-15 12:45 PM
    Interesting to hear, that might be worth a shot, yeah. Thank you.
    If there are Android apps you want to keep, try closing them down through Device Manager > Battery Usage > (Select app) > Close. I use it all the time on things like Skype that try to force themselves to run in the background.
    09-17-15 12:50 PM
    When will you finally stop your Samsung spam?

Posted via CB10
    You mean pointing out some of the advantages of Android and certain phones with a removable battery?

Look I can bash android all you want and state how superior bb10 but I won't. Android has its faults and yes TouchWiz is ugly as hell and those rain droplet sound effects when touching the screen is annoying but, I'm not delusional here. I'll continue to inform people of the advantages and disadvantages of Android phones, especially now that this section of crackberry is an android section.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    astrodan13 likes this.
    09-17-15 12:59 PM

Fair.

But apply the same concept to editing an email message and there is a word or sentence that you want to edit at the top of your screen. Having a trackpad for editing text is THE best way on a mobile device. It is like having a mouse versus using a touchscreen. For this, the trackpad will always serve a purpose and nothing else will be able to be better (in terms of all-around efficiency). And with the added distance from the keyboard to the top of the screen that the Slider will have (probably the longest reach of any existing device), it will definitely NOT be a "one-handed" device. You'll need one thumb on the keyboard and another to move the cursor on the screen. Again, I'm not a one-handed user either but I do like efficiency.

I could take or leave trackpad navigation for opening apps and scrolling through web pages but I chose to use the Classic because I missed the trackpad for editing messages. For anyone who doesn't miss it, they are either fine with the compromise or they don't really understand the primary function of the trackpad. It's for editing text, not playing Candy Crush!!!
    09-17-15 01:02 PM
94 1234