Yeah so the price of the phone should match what you are getting. The priv..keyone and motion were all over priced.

Posted via CB10
    How much should the K1 and Motion be then? Flagship are almost double the price. How much cheaper should the BlackBerry phones be then?
    01-17-18 09:30 AM
    Yeah so the price of the phone should match what you are getting. The priv..keyone and motion were all over priced.

Posted via CB10
    I'm sure we all agree on that. I'm just saying that the Priv and KEYone are in their own category because of their form factor, so it's hard to determine if their internal specs are/were worth their asking price compared to [insert slab name].

Because, you know, those two devices ACTUALLY brought something different to the oversaturated table. Just sayin
    Sigewif likes this.
    01-17-18 09:34 AM
    How much should the K1 and Motion be then? Flagship are almost double the price. How much cheaper should the BlackBerry phones be then?
    400 no more no less

Posted via CB10
    01-17-18 09:36 AM
    I'm sure we all agree on that. I'm just saying that the Priv and KEYone are in their own category because of their form factor, so it's hard to determine if their internal specs are/were worth their asking price compared to [insert slab name].

Because, you know, those two devices actually brought something different to the oversaturated table. Just sayin
    The launch price was easily 200-300 dollars higher than it should have been. And don't get me started on the black edition that was just beyond stupidly priced.

Posted via CB10
    01-17-18 09:37 AM
    The launch price was easily 200-300 dollars higher than it should have been. And don't get me started on the black edition that was just beyond stupidly priced.

Posted via CB10
    Who cares? Buy a different cheaper device. It's their company and their overhead. Let them decide what to do when things happen or don't happen. They're asking for your opinion, with your money. If you don't buy it, BBMo/TCL gets the message.
    01-17-18 09:40 AM
    Who cares? Buy a different cheaper device. It's their company and their overhead. Let them decide what to do when things happen or don't happen. They're asking for your opinion, with your money. If you don't buy it, BBMo/TCL gets the message.
    Like blackberry got the message when their market share eroded then they released the over priced priv? Yeah they really listened!

Posted via CB10
    01-17-18 09:56 AM
    Like blackberry got the message when their market share eroded then they released the over priced priv? Yeah they really listened!

Posted via CB10
    So people buy other devices. The competition gets the business. You reward another company and buy devices that meet your needs including your preferred selling price. What's the problem? You have the device to you want, at the price you want..
    01-17-18 10:13 AM
    I dunno why you're all arguing and being rude to each other lol. The thread is about BlackBerry updating the Priv and it's a REALLY easy conclusion. It's not going to happen. It has already been announced and it's done with. BlackBerry is not going to go back and rethink it. It is what it is.

Arguing it amongst yourselves is not going to change it, I assure you lol. Arguing about the price at the time it launched isn't going to change it either. People who wanted it, bought it. People who didn't want it, didn't buy it. The time for complaining about the price is long gone.
    Ecm, john_v, pdr733 and 3 others like this.
    01-17-18 10:53 AM
    Hi, all first thanks to everyone that has responded to my thread.

May, I kindly ask everyone to focus on the main 2 issues.

1. It is long overdue at BlackBerry for Mr Chen to move on and let a capable individual take BlackBerry on a higher level of success (the Steve Job example).

2. Having bought my PRIV in good faith at a premium price (one of the most expensive phone at the time) on the promise from BlackBerry it was "Built to last" 2 years of support is nothing than complete misleading of BlackBerry.

Blackberry could take lessons from Apple IPhone, even their older is still being supported with their latest OS.

Selling off the BlackBerry brand to the Hong Kong and Indonesian have so far produced 2 very uninteresting and totally failed phones.

It is way overdue for a complete re-think at the helm what future does BlackBerry phones hold. This is far beyond the current "past sell date" CEO Mr Chen who has his head in the sand.
    anon(10218918) likes this.
    01-17-18 11:20 AM
    Unfortunately, a CEO with his head in the sand and no "vision".

How sad for BlackBerry!
    I think you're missing the point about Mr. Chen's tenure at BB.

He has stated that BB is out of the phone business and are transitioning to becoming a software corporation.

Although I did not read anything more than the headlines, my understanding is that the latest financial results are that BB is successfully moving to having more and more of its revenues coming from software.

There IS vision there, most definitely.
    Unfortunately, it's not the vision that you want.
    Life sucks.

I have also seen the claim made around the forum that it's very common in the Android world to have a phone only have one major OS upgrade (e.g., from v5 to 6) - PRIV had this.
    Also, a two year support for regular patching is pretty common.

So, from that standpoint, BB has been pretty consistent with much of the existing Android world.
    01-17-18 11:37 AM
    Blackberry could take lessons from Apple IPhone, even their older is still being supported with their latest OS.
    Gotta love it when people refer to Apple as the example to follow when it comes to long term smartphone support. Well, Apple ain't doing its customers any favors by forcing new heavy OS versions on 5 year old devices. Lag, performance and batteries drain issues are sure to frustrate people into buying new iPhones... It's a signature Apple move.
    01-17-18 11:40 AM
    1. It is long overdue at BlackBerry for Mr Chen to move on and let a capable individual take BlackBerry on a higher level of success (the Steve Job example).

2. Having bought my PRIV in good faith at a premium price (one of the most expensive phone at the time) on the promise from BlackBerry it was "Built to last" 2 years of support is nothing than complete misleading of BlackBerry.
    1) John Chen has turned the company around and has taken it well beyond their initial scope. You just don't like that scope because it doesn't involve phones. The BlackBerry board has no issues with Chen or he wouldn't be there. Again, you just don't like or understand what BlackBerry is these days. This is pretty clear as you keep referring to Chen and phones.

2) You've never stated your Priv has stopped working and plenty of people are still using their Priv's to this day. So it indeed is 'lasting' and as others have stated, two years for Android support is par for the course in the Android world with a few exceptions.

Sidenote: I don't recall any Priv marketing material stating it 'Built to last' lol. Maybe in people's reviews, they stated that. It has, however, been used in BlackBerry Mobile marketing for Motion.
    glwerry, Laura Knotek and pdr733 like this.
    01-17-18 12:17 PM
    The no "vision" CEO made me some $$ I bought the stock at 6.06 and now its at 17+, so you guys need to relax
    I wish I had followed through on my impulse to do that like I did with AAPL back in the '90's.
    01-17-18 01:28 PM

Posted via CB10
    The Priv was ridiculously overpriced. Should have not been a dime over $500 at launch. Blackberry had zero clout left after the BB10 disaster to try selling a $700 phone.

K1 is moderately overpriced. For a niche one-off PKB that required R&D that couldn't be used for anything else TCL sells, I'd put it at $450 instead of $529. Unlike DTEK these weren't just a rebadge job and that PKB investment has to be earned back.

Motion is also just a hair above where I would place it. $399 vs. $449.

You always have to remember that lower sales volume dictates higher margin per sale. Samsung could get away with selling the Motion for $300 because it knows that millions of them would fly off the shelves.
    01-18-18 07:56 AM
    The Priv was ridiculously overpriced. Should have not been a dime over $500 at launch. Blackberry had zero clout left after the BB10 disaster to try selling a $700 phone.

K1 is moderately overpriced. For a niche one-off PKB that required R&D that couldn't be used for anything else TCL sells, I'd put it at $450 instead of $529. Unlike DTEK these weren't just a rebadge job and that PKB investment has to be earned back.

Motion is also just a hair above where I would place it. $399 vs. $449.

You always have to remember that lower sales volume dictates higher margin per sale. Samsung could get away with selling the Motion for $300 because it knows that millions of them would fly off the shelves.
    Plus, finally a topic, I really can discuss is business!!!!!

Since KEYone is niche product, it's pricing is more inelastic than elastic. With volume commodity devices(VKB), low price increases demand and then increases profit and decreases cost as more volume is sold.

With niche device(PKB),certain small max quantity is all that will ever be sold if alternative exists(VKB). So lowering price, could register some additional sales but not enough to offset lower sales with much higher profit. $50 is 10% of price but 33% of profit margin(if $150). A 33% sales increase would be unlikely. So the lost sales become acceptable. Those buyers still want a PKB and will buy when price comes down in product cycle or temporary sale price reduction offered like holiday or something.
    01-18-18 08:09 AM
    Plus, finally a topic, I really can discuss is business!!!!!

Since KEYone is niche product, it's pricing is more inelastic than elastic. With volume commodity devices(VKB), low price increases demand and then increases profit and decreases cost as more volume is sold.

With niche device(PKB),certain small max quantity is all that will ever be sold if alternative exists(VKB). So lowering price, could register some additional sales but not enough to offset lower sales with much higher profit. $50 is 10% of price but 33% of profit margin(if $150). A 33% sales increase would be unlikely. So the lost sales become acceptable. Those buyers still want a PKB and will buy when price comes down in product cycle or temporary sale price reduction offered like holiday or something.
    True... we don't know the margins on the phone as it is so like you said, that 80 dollars could be make or break. Even at a lower price, I'm sure the Motion has more margin because it lacks a keyboard.

I actually do like that BBMo said it would keep its prices relatively flat and not set a "wait for the fire sale" precedent. Even after the initial screen fiasco they held their ground and didn't lower prices out of panic. It shows some confidence in their product. I can't wait to get a Keyone!
    01-18-18 09:02 AM
    True... we don't know the margins on the phone as it is so like you said, that 80 dollars could be make or break. Even at a lower price, I'm sure the Motion has more margin because it lacks a keyboard.

I actually do like that BBMo said it would keep its prices relatively flat and not set a "wait for the fire sale" precedent. Even after the initial screen fiasco they held their ground and didn't lower prices out of panic. It shows some confidence in their product. I can't wait to get a Keyone!
    Don't laugh. I just got my KEYone two weeks ago. You've probably read that I bought AT&T version. I didn't want to risk warranty problems. So far no issues. Happy with device.
    01-18-18 09:22 AM
    When the Priv first came out it was vastly overpriced. I JUST got mine, and a KeyOne. Guess what I'm using? . I love this keyboard. Performance? No, it's not my S7. So what? It's still way quick enough. I'm tired of the meaningless spec chase. Does its do what I want? Yes? Then it's fine. The phone is a beauty. The software is fine. Screw Oreo. I'm good. I waited two years. I am not disappointed.

Heck, my laptop is 6 years old
    Rico4you likes this.
    01-18-18 12:28 PM
    When the Priv first came out it was vastly overpriced. I JUST got mine, and a KeyOne. Guess what I'm using? . I love this keyboard. Performance? No, it's not my S7. So what? It's still way quick enough. I'm tired of the meaningless spec chase. Does its do what I want? Yes? Then it's fine. The phone is a beauty. The software is fine. Screw Oreo. I'm good. I waited two years. I am not disappointed.

Heck, my laptop is 6 years old
    I'm in a similar position, although I have had my PRIV for longer. I did wait until our local carrier was offering it for $0 on a 2 year contract.

I realize that I'm not going to get Oreo and my laptop is about 4 years old - but I recently took the laptop to get the broken power cable fixed, even though my wife had said "you should get a new computer".

What I'm running now has adequate power to do what I need.

It's that simple.
    01-18-18 01:09 PM
    Sad to say that the Priv is likely my last BlackBerry device. have moved to Sony and Samsung loaded up with BlackBerry apps which work fine. The PKB is not a patch on the old ones so gave those up a long time ago. Technology moves on
    01-18-18 04:54 PM
    Let's remain focus on the 2 issues.

1. A change at the top for BlackBerry (Mr "Pass sell date CEO Chen) must go!

2. PRIV resurfacing with Oreo.
    01-18-18 04:56 PM

1. Us shareholders want to keep Chen since hes doing awesome with share price, running BlackBerry, and dumping hardware.

2. No hardware from BlackBerry. If somebody wants PRIV, convince BBMo/TCL on building PRIVtwo.
    glwerry likes this.
    01-18-18 05:01 PM

But both are highly unlikely and against all information out there. Chen has turned it around as indicated by their financial statements. PRIV has been announced with no more support.
    01-18-18 06:12 PM
    yes priv2 shouldve been the case vs keyone as nothing can replace the big screen and slideout keyboard! I love this priv and I hate how they wouldn't upgrade it
    01-18-18 06:42 PM
    You don't need to be Einstein to sell off the licensing of the Blackberry phone logo? When the going gets tough in any organisation you need a "Visionary and Inspiring" leader of steel with confidence, character, charisma and, more importantly "A Steve Job" figure example to steer the course.

Selling off the Blackberry phone logo licence to the Hong Kong Chinese and Indonesian was the easiest of option and, what an insult to the brand with their 2 completely uninteresting and failed phones.

How utterly sad of a weak, uninspired and "pass sell date" CEO, Mr Chen who yet has his head in the sand!
    01-18-18 08:37 PM
164 1234 ...