Out of curiosity I ran DTEK on my new Priv. As you can see, everything is wrong. Most puzzling is the assertion that it's not a BlackBerry device.

I've seen a thread about this case where the phone was a DTEK 50 or 60. At least it was arguable that those weren't BlackBerry devices. But has anyone seen this with a Priv?

I looked through the 3 most recent pages of the Priv forum, saw nothing.
    Attached Thumbnails BB Priv: fails DTEK; 'not a BlackBerry device'-screenshot_20230129-135803.jpg  
    01-30-23 01:05 AM
    Out of curiosity I ran DTEK on my new Priv. As you can see, everything is wrong. Most puzzling is the assertion that it's not a BlackBerry device.

I've seen a thread about this case where the phone was a DTEK 50 or 60. At least it was arguable that those weren't BlackBerry devices. But has anyone seen this with a Priv?

Not sure what difference it makes since it doesn't really work anymore anyway.
    01-30-23 01:22 AM
    Not sure what difference it makes since it doesn't really work anymore anyway.
    Au contaire, in fact this one works beautifully. A very slight amount of slowness when browsing or opening apps, not enough to be a problem. I like the camera, the speakers play music with a natural sound, way better than the K2 for example. And both keyboards function well; eg accuracy in cursor placement is better than that on both the Key2 and the Fold4. And battery life is fine. Story of the BB Priv I guess, once a bad reputation is established it's impossible to dislodge it

But I am curious about why DTEK doesn't think it a BlackBerry device.
    boogywstew likes this.
    01-30-23 02:51 AM
    Au contaire, in fact this one works beautifully. A very slight amount of slowness when browsing or opening apps, not enough to be a problem. I like the camera, the speakers play music with a natural sound, way better than the K2 for example. And both keyboards function well; eg accuracy in cursor placement is better than that on both the Key2 and the Fold4. And battery life is fine. Story of the BB Priv I guess, once a bad reputation is established it's impossible to dislodge it

But I am curious about why DTEK doesn't think it a BlackBerry device.
    I'm talking about DTEK.

As to why it's reporting odd things, it just wasn't designed to read the inputs it's getting in 2023.
    01-30-23 09:17 AM

Really Paul, sometimes I think you post these things just to see if we're awake

1. DTEK was a BlackBerry Service.
    2. Part of the routine was to "call home" and verify the phone's details with, you guessed it, a BlackBerry server.
    3. As those servers no longer respond to the app because they are G.O.N.E., the app decides the phone is not a BlackBerry as DTEK was intended to be installed only on BlackBerry's (specifically, Android BlackBerry's but don't hold me to that, my memory's hazy on this, perhaps others can chime in on whether it ran on BBOS/10).

The End.
    01-30-23 09:27 AM
    I'm talking about DTEK.

As to why it's reporting odd things, it just wasn't designed to read the inputs it's getting in 2023.
    I do wonder if all things went well.... if BlackBerry would have kept updating the PRIV for more that what was standard for Android at that time.

But yeah outdated OS and no longer a BlackBerry Server to verify anything, little wonder DTEK doesn't know what to do.
    01-30-23 10:01 AM
    3. As those servers no longer respond to the app because they are G.O.N.E., the app decides the phone is not a BlackBerry as DTEK was intended to be installed only on BlackBerry's (specifically, Android BlackBerry's but don't hold me to that, my memory's hazy on this, perhaps others can chime in on whether it ran on BBOS/10).
    It was strictly on BlackBerry's Android phones. BBOS and BB10 didn't need it because those OSs were built by BlackBerry. Android is not,

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
    01-30-23 11:28 AM
    It was strictly on BlackBerry's Android phones. BBOS and BB10 didn't need it because those OSs were built by BlackBerry. Android is not,

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
    Yeah just in case someone found a way to bypass the boot rom lock.... Dtek added a layer of verification, I guess.

BlackBerry came up with a lot of good ideas of how to use Android securely in 2014/2015... as they had wrote off BB10 at that point, but not the phone business.
    boogywstew likes this.
    01-30-23 12:58 PM
    Really Paul, sometimes I think you post these things just to see if we're awake

1. DTEK was a BlackBerry Service.
    2. Part of the routine was to "call home" and verify the phone's details with, you guessed it, a BlackBerry server.

The End.

Not so sure about that statement, I have a Priv and when I slam my sim in it works fine a Detek does as well. I remember this happening once on my BlackBerry I’m just trying to remember what I did to correct it or if the phone was recently wiped if I recall it had to download a newer version to match the software
    01-31-23 10:10 AM
    Not so sure about that statement, I have a Priv and when I slam my sim in it works fine a Detek does as well. I remember this happening once on my BlackBerry I’m just trying to remember what I did to correct it or if the phone was recently wiped if I recall it had to download a newer version to match the software
    You're not really "correcting" or changing anything though. At best you might be able to make it provide a different message.
    01-31-23 11:11 AM
    A very slight amount of slowness when browsing or opening apps, not enough to be a problem. I like the camera, the speakers play music with a natural sound, way better than the K2 for example. And both keyboards function well...
    While my 7 year old Priv wouldn't be able to get away w/ the description of slight amount of slowness, hehe, the hardware I think remains understated. I've mentioned elsewhere that big speakers such as on the Razer phone (dual) or LG v40 (boombox) were better, but only a little better, and so little that it actually took me a few tests to confirm this. Camera wasn't the fastest, but just a couple years ago when I had a note10+ a coworker who was complaining about blur and distortion in his moto g7 power photos compared them to mine (on the Note) - and we found very little difference. So the Priv camera hung in there for quite a few years. In fact really, only when I got my 6a did I realize how far cameras had actually come.

Story time: I remember having the Priv w/ me at the hospital for the birth of our 2nd child, and although I bought some little canon SLR for the occasion (not terribly impressive, some 600 dollar camera; suppose I could look up my old receipt, maybe) but when I compared them I honestly couldn't tell which was better. I put the Canon away and just kept taking pics w/ my Priv. Returned the SLR the following week.

Have to admit tho, on a side note, that the BlackBerry vkb remains the best I've ever used, and now that it's on this pixel 6a I haven't been able to put it down (got a itch for a day out w/ my KEYᵒⁿᵉ, and was able to resist, for once ������ just the other week)
    02-01-23 05:55 PM
    While my 7 year old Priv wouldn't be able to get away w/ the description of slight amount of slowness, hehe, the hardware I think remains understated. I've mentioned elsewhere that big speakers such as on the Razer phone (dual) or LG v40 (boombox) were better, but only a little better, and so little that it actually took me a few tests to confirm this. Camera wasn't the fastest, but just a couple years ago when I had a note10+ a coworker who was complaining about blur and distortion in his moto g7 power photos compared them to mine (on the Note) - and we found very little difference. So the Priv camera hung in there for quite a few years. In fact really, only when I got my 6a did I realize how far cameras had actually come.

Story time: I remember having the Priv w/ me at the hospital for the birth of our 2nd child, and although I bought some little canon SLR for the occasion (not terribly impressive, some 600 dollar camera; suppose I could look up my old receipt, maybe) but when I compared them I honestly couldn't tell which was better. I put the Canon away and just kept taking pics w/ my Priv. Returned the SLR the following week.

Have to admit tho, on a side note, that the BlackBerry vkb remains the best I've ever used, and now that it's on this pixel 6a I haven't been able to put it down (got a itch for a day out w/ my KEYᵒⁿᵉ, and was able to resist, for once ������ just the other week)
    Good as a $600 Canon. Are you sure there was no bias?

Also to add, the browser is acceptably prompt, I think the webpage loading speed would be only milliseconds short of my new Samsung, a dozen or two maybe, and not enough to make a material difference to the experience.

Funny that, only a year or so later than the Passport yet the browser speed is a quantum leap from it. If Elon Musk could just add the few needed tweaks the BB10 browser lacks it could surf happily in today's world.

Um, this Priv... there is something strangely effective about it's performance compared with expectations that made me wonder if it was a changeling. Partly why I posted this thread.

I do use the PKB for longer passages and especially for passwords. Haven't had the chance to whip it out in company yet, looking forward to bemused glances from bystanders.
    02-01-23 06:29 PM
    ...looking forward to bemused glances from bystanders.
    Awesomeness.
    Exedorable likes this.
    02-01-23 07:33 PM
    Good as a $600 Canon. Are you sure there was no bias?

I do use the PKB for longer passages and especially for passwords.
    Man I was pretty pissed, I spent the money specifically for that hospital trip and the birth.

Priv pkb = my all time fav. I understand people who say k2 is the best, but I'd still take Priv any day of the week!
    Paul Reichert likes this.
    02-01-23 09:57 PM
    Just looked it up: it was a Canon t6 dslr 2lens kit for 549.99, bought in Oct of 17.

Me and the wife looked over some images it took, and this was hospital setting so dim lighting and lots of shadows mostly, compared them to the Priv, and simply couldn't tell if they were any better. Returned the following month.
    02-02-23 03:14 PM
    Just looked it up: it was a Canon t6 dslr 2lens kit for 549.99, bought in Oct of 17.

Me and the wife looked over some images it took, and this was hospital setting so dim lighting and lots of shadows mostly, compared them to the Priv, and simply couldn't tell if they were any better. Returned the following month.
    That's astounding, really is. I read a recent review of a current flagship phone saying it was approaching the level of a cheaper DSLR!

And congrats on the youngster, what, five years old now?
    02-02-23 05:03 PM
    That's astounding, really is. I read a recent review of a current flagship phone saying it was approaching the level of a cheaper DSLR!

And congrats on the youngster, what, five years old now?
    Yep 5. I'm sure if you saw us during that first day in the waiting / delivery rooms, we may have looked a little steamed hehe, but then in a few hours it was time for labor and we forgot all about it. Needless to say I had already packed up the Cannon long before that ������
    02-02-23 05:12 PM
    Just making sure you're aware of the latest dtek update, subtitled "end of life". It is on google play store. Perhaps it stops the attempts to phone home. My dtek report does see my device as a BlackBerry product. I have my Hub services and bbm disabled, but I do use the cal and contacts.
    02-26-23 01:05 AM
    Just making sure you're aware of the latest dtek update, subtitled "end of life". It is on google play store.
    Lmao, ironically dtek and the side tab, etc BlackBerry stuff I never got much use out of. But man that pkb still has a strong pull ������
    02-27-23 07:01 PM
    Now that BlackBerry Servers have been decommissioned, there is "no reply" back to phone to verify/confirm your device.
    02-27-23 09:23 PM