I just noticed there were updates to Calendar, Hub, BBM, and Contacts on the Priv today (Bell Canada), so at least apps are being updated.
    skinnymike1 and Rico4you like this.
    12-18-17 05:11 PM
    I got them also...
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    12-18-17 06:00 PM
    I'm not in Canada, but in past 6 days, I've had app updates 3 times counting today's.
    12-18-17 06:20 PM
    And I never know what has changed.
    andy957 likes this.
    12-18-17 08:21 PM
    Sadly with my Priv out of contract, I have taken the plunge and headed into Note 8 land. May as well have the most current Android phone around. BlackBerry is pale imitation of itself and sad that it has gone this way but technology waits for no man.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    12-18-17 11:12 PM
    Sadly with my Priv out of contract, I have taken the plunge and headed into Note 8 land. May as well have the most current Android phone around. BlackBerry is pale imitation of itself and sad that it has gone this way but technology waits for no man.
    I did the same thing. Note 8 runs very very smooth. I wound up giving the Priv to my cousin.
    12-19-17 12:16 AM
    I did the same thing. Note 8 runs very very smooth. I wound up giving the Priv to my cousin.
    I went the same way except I decided to journey to OnePlus 5T land. No one wants my Priv in my family so I am hoping some rare BlackBerry maven wants one.
    12-19-17 02:29 PM
    Reading these posts from people who have transitioned away from BlackBerry is bringing me to what appears to be my future reality. I was hoping this day was never going to come.

I remember how smitten I was after getting my first BlackBerry which was the 7130C with the thumbwheel.

Say it's not so!!!!

Bob
    andy957 and hamilgs like this.
    12-19-17 02:46 PM
    Reading these posts from people who have transitioned away from BlackBerry is bringing me to what appears to be my future reality. I was hoping this day was never going to come.

I remember how smitten I was after getting my first BlackBerry which was the 7130C with the thumbwheel.

Say it's not so!!!!

Bob
    Wow, someone who goes back as far as I do, my first was that two way pager but my first phone was the 7200 with the thumb wheel. That thing was rock solid...
    andy957 and hamilgs like this.
    12-19-17 04:59 PM
    Wow, someone who goes back as far as I do, my first was that two way pager but my first phone was the 7200 with the thumb wheel. That thing was rock solid...
    I will always remember when the BlackBerry rep at the AT&T store was convincing me I really should consider the BlackBerry 7130C as it was virtually indestructible. She threw the 7130C across the store and it hit the wall then falling to the floor. She was correct... hahaha

Since getting the 7130C I have never looked back and have had virtually every BlackBerry device except the Passport. It is looking like this chapter in my life will be coming to a close.

Bob
    hamilgs likes this.
    12-19-17 05:22 PM
    the apps work even better on my Pixel 2 XL than it ever did on the PRIV.
    12-19-17 05:24 PM
    I will always remember when the BlackBerry rep at the AT&T store was convincing me I really should consider the BlackBerry 7130C as it was virtually indestructible. She threw the 7130C across the store and it hit the wall then falling to the floor. She was correct... hahaha

Since getting the 7130C I have never looked back and have had virtually every BlackBerry device except the Passport. It is looking like this chapter in my life will be coming to a close.

Bob
    I'm like you (except for that running at midnight in the cold thing) and I'll be giving AT&T KEYone final shot... I checked physical device in Sprint corporate store
    Not 7190 solid but what is anymore?
    12-19-17 05:27 PM
    I'm like you (except for that running at midnight in the cold thing) and I'll be giving AT&T KEYone final shot... I checked physical device in Sprint corporate store
    Not 7190 solid but what is anymore?
    It's not midnight when I'm heading out for my run... I have long gone to bed by midnight. I need my rest before getting out the door to run at 0 dark 30...

I haven't been able to physically handle a KEYone but my AT&T rep has setting up KEYones for AT&T customers. She says they are okay but she prefers her Priv. Maybe after the Holidays I will drop by a Best Buy and see if they have any on display, or a Sprint store. Initially I am not overly excited with the shiny/glossy looking keys on the PKB. I know that might sound petty but it was the first thing I noticed in the advertisement pictures. Maybe in real life they aren't so shiny/glossy.

Bob
    12-19-17 05:38 PM
    The Pixel is one of devices that is on my radar.

Bob
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    12-19-17 05:51 PM
    So true, love the Hub on my Pixel 2XL. Sad to say, but it runs so much smoother than it ever did on my Priv.
    12-19-17 07:29 PM
    Anyone notice the last couple updates have made emails come in delayed?

I never had an issue with them, but occasionally now I'll open the hub, and 4 or 5 emails will pop in due to refresh.

Just me?
    12-20-17 02:18 AM
    I started reading this thread because according to the heading, it is supposed to be about the apps updating on the PRIV. I didn't expect a discussion about other phones people were moving to. Anyway, back to the subject of app updates, I got a bunch of updates on my PRIV, too, and wonder if there are any changes/improvements in the apps that people have noticed.
    12-20-17 02:22 AM
    I started reading this thread because according to the heading, it is supposed to be about the apps updating on the PRIV. I didn't expect a discussion about other phones people were moving to. Anyway, back to the subject of app updates, I got a bunch of updates on my PRIV, too, and wonder if there are any changes/improvements in the apps that people have noticed.
    The changelogs are listed in the play store.
    valer466 likes this.
    12-20-17 02:32 AM
    That happened when the big update, was, NO update in regards to OS.....

Things deviate since it's well, a thread... if too far off topic, just hit the report button....
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    12-20-17 07:35 AM
    But methinks that it doesn't matter if it's a PRIV, Pixel, S8, or what have you, as long as the apps were downloaded from the Play Store they will be updated as long as updates are rolled out on said Play Store? The phone platform should then be independent and irrelevant, correct me if I am wrong.
    12-20-17 11:45 AM
    I've been receiving quite a bit of application updates from the Play Store over the last couple of weeks.
    12-20-17 03:39 PM
    But methinks that it doesn't matter if it's a PRIV, Pixel, S8, or what have you, as long as the apps were downloaded from the Play Store they will be updated as long as updates are rolled out on said Play Store? The phone platform should then be independent and irrelevant, correct me if I am wrong.
    The time may come when Blackberry starts releasing their apps requiring a higher minimum API level. If they ever increase the minimum API level beyond the OS that is actually installed on a device, then the Play Store would no longer offer the apps for download on that device.

As of August 2018, it will be mandatory that all apps listed in the Google Play Store must set their "targeted" API level to Oreo or newer. Any apps that do not target Oreo after August 2018 will be de-listed. That doesn't necessarily impose any requirements on the "minimum" API level - but the bigger the spread between the targeted and minimum API levels, the more work that developers might have to do to ensure that the apps will gracefully scale back their functionality if they are running on an older OS that doesn't support a particular feature.
    12-21-17 06:29 AM
    The time may come when Blackberry starts releasing their apps requiring a higher minimum API level. If they ever increase the minimum API level beyond the OS that is actually installed on a device, then the Play Store would no longer offer the apps for download on that device.

As of August 2018, it will be mandatory that all apps listed in the Google Play Store must set their "targeted" API level to Oreo or newer. Any apps that do not target Oreo after August 2018 will be de-listed. That doesn't necessarily impose any requirements on the "minimum" API level - but the bigger the spread between the targeted and minimum API levels, the more work that developers might have to do to ensure that the apps will gracefully scale back their functionality if they are running on an older OS that doesn't support a particular feature.
    I see. Thanks for breaking it down and making me understand.
    But I thought Oreo had such a small makeup of all the phones that run Android, even Nougat. Do they think Oreo will be that widespread by that time come 2018?
    12-21-17 02:24 PM
    I see. Thanks for breaking it down and making me understand.
    But I thought Oreo had such a small makeup of all the phones that run Android, even Nougat. Do they think Oreo will be that widespread by that time come 2018?
    Oh, app developers definitely won't be going Oreo-exclusive that quickly. They will target Oreo because the must. But they will continue supporting older operating systems as well, because that's where the market share is.

Over time, though, Marshmallow (and older versions) will gradually make up a smaller market share. The cost of maintaining graceful fall-backs for APIs that are unavailable on older OSes, and of performing quality-assurance testing on those older OSes will begin to outweigh the benefit of increased customer reach.

The Blackberry-exclusive apps like DTEK are an even more special case, because they are marketed only at Blackberry-branded devices. As of now, there are still two currently-supported Blackberry-powered Android devices running Marshmallow: the DTEK50 and the DTEK60. Once they reach the end of their support lifecycle, the incentive would be stronger for Blackberry to bump up the minimum OS version of its app suite.

This has happened before: The current version of the DTEK app has already bumped its minimum supported OS version from Lollipop to Marshmallow -- if you had a factory-new Priv still running Lollipop, you wouldn't be able to install the current version of DTEK.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    12-21-17 02:39 PM
    Oh, app developers definitely won't be going Oreo-exclusive that quickly. They will target Oreo because the must. But they will continue supporting older operating systems as well, because that's where the market share is.

Over time, though, Marshmallow (and older versions) will gradually make up a smaller market share. The cost of maintaining graceful fall-backs for APIs that are unavailable on older OSes, and of performing quality-assurance testing on those older OSes will begin to outweigh the benefit of increased customer reach.

The Blackberry-exclusive apps like DTEK are an even more special case, because they are marketed only at Blackberry-branded devices. As of now, there are still two currently-supported Blackberry-powered Android devices running Marshmallow: the DTEK50 and the DTEK60. Once they reach the end of their support lifecycle, the incentive would be stronger for Blackberry to bump up the minimum OS version of its app suite.

This has happened before: The current version of the DTEK app has already bumped its minimum supported OS version from Lollipop to Marshmallow -- if you had a factory-new Priv still running Lollipop, you wouldn't be able to install the current version of DTEK.
    That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the educative post.
    12-21-17 03:14 PM