I found my biggest battery save was going to cellular network
    4g/3g mode only!!!!!!!!!

2 finger Swipe down Settings > under wireless & network click 'mores' > Cellular Networks > Preferred Network Type > 4G&3G

Cuz Rogers LTE is always one bar in the GT... I guess it keeps searching for stronger signal? And that's what drains the battery hard.

But on 4G it is always FULL bar!!! I'm constantly full where I used to be 1 bar and it heats up less.

Try it out!
    With marshmallow coming, this fix, and the adaptive screen brightness off we should be at bb10 battery levels! :P

Posted via the Innovative Blackberry PRIV - Powered by Android
    zocster likes this.
    01-23-16 03:08 PM
    01-23-16 03:14 PM
    I think that this depends greatly on your location so it might not work the same for everyone but I have found the same results in my area and I do the same. Ever since my Z10 I got a huge battery life improvement by switching off LTE.

The best part is, while I notice a huge difference in battery life, I don't notice much difference at all in browsing speeds. Downloads go faster on LTE, no question. But for basic browsing, even watching video, 4G is more than fast enough. And usually the only things that I'm downloading are PDFs and pictures so I really don't need the speed that LTE is capable of. And I'd prefer the extra juice.

It's like having a fast car - just because it's capable of going 200 miles an hour, doesn't mean you always need to hold the pedal down and waste that gas!
    01-23-16 03:31 PM
    And for those of us with carrier Privs (such as AT&T)...
    Go to your phone dialer and type in *#*#4636#*#*
    Forces network type, since AT&T stupidly removed this selection from basic Android options menu.
    01-24-16 02:06 AM
    Forces network type, since AT&T stupidly removed this selection from basic Android options menu.
    They can do that?
    01-27-16 12:40 AM
    I've been doing this with my Z30 for a long time now. LTE is very spotty in terms of signal strength.

Posted via CB10
    01-27-16 12:42 AM
    Does this "trick" give me back the ability to select network type?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android on my Priv
    01-27-16 01:16 AM
    4G/3G only gives me full bar and LTE only gives me 2 bar or less most of the time. Seems to me that LTE has poorer reception (assuming the bar~dBm relationship for both signals are the same).

However I do not see much difference. Maybe 5% more battery time. I am with Bell Canada.🍁

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    01-27-16 01:26 AM
    4G/3G only gives me full bar and LTE only gives me 2 bar or less most of the time. Seems to me that LTE has poorer reception (assuming the bar~dBm relationship for both signals are the same).

However I do not see much difference. Maybe 5% more battery time. I am with Bell Canada.��

They are not the same. LTE will always show less "bars" than HSPA or "3G" "4G" - LTE is generally more usable with a "weaker" (less bars) signal than HSPA

Rogers uses 2.5GHz (not exclusively) for LTE right? This band might be causing high battery drain and the weak coverage. It happens with some Sprint models like Note and S6 that aren't well optimized for 2.5GHz RF
    01-27-16 02:50 AM
    Does this "trick" give me back the ability to select network type?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android on my Priv
    Yes, that's precisely what I use it for since AT&T decided not to allow me to do this.

They can do that?
    Oh, most definitely. They've been doing it for years. Carriers can allow/not allow any feature of a phone they want, as long as the manufacturer agrees to the terms in the end. On the G4, Verizon's version removed key features of the phone even! Users were enormously (and, in my opinion, justified in being so) upset.
    01-28-16 11:35 AM
    I've always selected HSPA/GSM on my devices since I'm at that horrible spot between LTE towers at home that drains battery.

What I'd like to know, is why does Lollipop always default back to LTE after a reboot? I always have to reselect HSPA/GSM after I reset my device...
    02-25-16 12:22 AM
    I have a 2 week old AT&T Priv. I typed in *#*#4636#*#* and got the following menu entitled "Testing"
    Phone Information (which dumps a lot of info, but I don't see anything about 4G/3G only)
    Battery Info (all about the battery)
    Usage Statistic (app last time used info)
    WiFi status (WiFi API, WiFi config and WiFi status info)

I don't see anything about restricting to 4G/3G.

I had previously used Settings->More..->Cellular Network settings->Enhanced 4G LTE services->Enhanced 4G LTE mode set to off. When I went back in after the about string in the dialer, Enhanced 4G LTE mode was back on.

Are they the same?
    02-26-16 09:52 PM
    This trick has a shelf life. I'd rather have more battery consumption and a signal that doesn't drop out. So I stay on LTE in Toronto on Telus.

3G UMTS HSPA is already not really being expanded much or at all. All the focus is on LTE.

Also, the more dishes that go up the less you need power.

This is on a case by case basis for everyone.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-16 09:56 PM
    ok the thing is, does the PRIV have the network selection settings like the ones we can find on the BB10 phone?
    - 4G (LTE)/3G/2G
    - 4G (LTE)/3G
    - 3G only
    - 3G/2G
    - 2G

can anyone confirm if the network selection settings on your PRIV are just like the above? as normally Android phones only have these kind of settings in which i don't really like:
    - 4G (LTE)/3G/2G auto
    - 3G/2G (3G preferred)
    - 3G only
    - 2G only

there is no such "4G (LTE)/3G" mode, so far i only find this setting only on BB10. neither iOS nor WP has this special network setting.

the reason is some countries like countries in ASEAN (particularly in Indonesia/Malaysia/Phillippines) locking the network in 4G (LTE)/3G mode will prevent the phone from selecting 2G network randomly particularly in the middle of a phone call which will deteriorate the call clarity, connection quality as lots of breaking ups are all over the places making the phone call unusable, it's better for you to end the call, wait for the 3G signal to come up and resume the call again, really frustrating, however, if the voice mode is in 3G/H+ it will maintain the HD voice & the connection clarity and a lot less break-ups doesn't matter where we are and what the bar status is. more convenience, higher call success rate, minimum hassle.

if the PRIV is "by BlackBerry" then this network mode should be present, otherwise, it's just an Android i'm concerned..
    Last edited by yvpan1; 02-29-16 at 10:23 PM.
    02-29-16 10:11 PM
    can anyone confirm if the network selection settings on your PRIV are just like the above? as normally Android phones only have these kind of settings in which i don't really like:
    - 4G (LTE)/3G/2G auto
    - 3G/2G (3G preferred)
    - 3G only
    - 2G only

there is no such "4G (LTE)/3G" mode, so far i only find this setting only on BB10. neither iOS nor WP has this special network setting.
    03-07-16 04:38 AM
    Lol easy bro
    Attached Thumbnails Battery Experiment #2 Network lock to 4G/3G only-1457344107271.jpg  
    yvpan1 likes this.
    03-07-16 04:48 AM
    Driving a Ferrari at only 60km/h saves fuel too but...

03-07-16 07:20 AM
    wow bro thanks, yeah... it's PRIV.. by BlackBerry!!!!
    03-17-16 06:49 AM
    I used to do the 4G lock with my Z10.

Worked like a charm.

I hope I don't have to with my Priv with is on the way.

Posted via  BlackBerry Z30
    03-17-16 07:15 AM
    Lol easy bro
    I have a factory unlocked Priv on AT&T, these settings are not available.
    Under Cellular Network, I get
    -Mobile Data Services
    -Search for AT&T Microcell
    -Access Point Names
    Under Mobile Data services I get
    -Standard Data (On/Off)
    -International Data (options, I have it on prompt)

So either AT&T can override settings on factory unlocked device, or, I messed the APN's up while playing around trying to get enhanced LTE with a bring your own device. AT&T does not allow enhanced LTE unless it's an AT&T device.

Under APNs I have
    -ATT Nextgen phone (pretty sure that is one I copied from an AT&T locked Priv)
    -ATT Phone (pretty sure that is the one that came up from the SIM)
    Neither will give any options other than above

I also have, under APNs
    -Defense Mobile, PRODATA
    and 2 -TFDATA
    Not sure how those got there, prob me playing with stuff I don't understand
    03-17-16 10:32 AM
    I did some testing in november in regard to LTE and 4G but did not find significant battery improvement for me. My signal strength would be mainly orange no matter which band I used, granted most of my work use is not in the city.

I moved from my apartment in October where I used my z30 with full signal all the time but once I moved to my new house my signal sucks and my boyfriend Priv on Wind gets better signal lol

So as a test (after exchanging phone, changing sim cards, formating phone and everything else Rogers and BlackBerry told me to do) I decided to go to my old apartment for half hour..

The whole time I had full signal there, I took some snap shots of the actual dB which was reading about -50 with full signal.. Then I went home and had bad signal again with dB reading more around -110

So for me I can't say it's an issue with Priv but an issue with rogers. If I switched to telus or wind I'm sure I would probably have better signal

On top of that I download app to test my speed with 4G and LTE and WiFi even. I found that even with 1 bar LTE it was still much faster than 5 bars 4G

*-* BBM Channel : Netflix Newsroom C003BA5E3 | Facebook.com/NetflixNewsroom *-*
    Attached Thumbnails Battery Experiment #2 Network lock to 4G/3G only-31855.jpg  
    Last edited by midnightdoom; 03-18-16 at 03:49 AM.
    03-18-16 03:29 AM
    My current signal strength at work

*-* BBM Channel : Netflix Newsroom C003BA5E3 | Facebook.com/NetflixNewsroom *-*
    Attached Thumbnails Battery Experiment #2 Network lock to 4G/3G only-31854.jpg  
    03-18-16 03:30 AM
    I've been playing around with the different options and i'm now trying the 2G only option because i live in Ireland and the network i'm with refuses to give me 4G access (My Q10 used to have 4G when i was on a different network) Whenever i travel and the connectivity is set to 3G or 3G & 2G my battery drains 20% and heats up in my pocket just doing nothing, i always close every app running in the background when i'm out because i want to conserve as much battery as possible. I've been using the Priv on 2G for about 3 days now, the phone is usable on this connectivity, i use Facebook Messenger Lite and the web lite versions of Twitter and Instagram so the 2G connectivity isn't so unusable, and when i'm home i use 2G and Wifi combination, i have also noticed the phone is less likely to overheat too, i really think the bands that my current network use are weird because it did the same thing when i was using my iPhone 6 on that network, never had 4G and the 3G was patchy but using 2G on an iPhone is not an option because nothing loads.
    10-28-17 09:18 AM