Built for Business - Learn more about BlackBerry KEY2
    Hi everyone,
    I've a Blackberry priv since almost two year now. I never had any problem with this phone, until last year's end.
    Then, my phone start to have battery drain issue (duration about 4 h) and heat emission. Before, battery lasted more than 24H.
    First, I thought about draining app. After installing a good battery analyser (GSam battery monitor), analysing viruses or things like that, I didn't see anything "special".
    Second, I observed that when I disabled data, battery drain and heat disappear.
    So, I thought that was due to the my recent change of operator, but neither, because after going to another operator, issue is the same.
    So now, I think there is hardware issue.
    Have you ever heard about this kind of problem ?
    Thanks in advance.
    02-15-19 06:42 AM
    The last resort to see if it's really a software issue would be to factory reset the device.
    Just make sure all your data is saved beforehand of course.
    02-15-19 08:22 AM
    It's most likely due to wakelocks. If the phone is being kept awake, the processor won't go to deep sleep, which drains the battery and keeps the phone warm or hot.
    If you haven't already, hold the power button for 32 seconds, which is equivalent to a battery pull in previous devices. That should fix the issue for a while (maybe a few hours, maybe a week, a month, who knows?). The permanent fix can be much harder to find.
    I have yet to find the cause of my wakelocks, but you can check out that thread if you want.
    02-15-19 09:00 AM
    Hi,
    thanks for your reply. I had already took a look to the wakelock with gsam. I didn't see anything special, but maybe I'm wrong.
    Gsam indicate current consumption, I don't know how it do that, maybe it's an estimation... But sometimes current is 1500 mA !!! It's not a surprise in that case if battery doesn't last....
    It's a bit annoying !
    02-15-19 02:41 PM
    Hello,
    I'm rocking a Priv and it is still awesome.
    Here are some cool stuff you can try so as to increase your battery life on the Priv.

* Always lower your brightness.

* Hold the power button for 32 seconds as the guy mentioned above.

* Delete any apps you don't use.

* Turn off syncing for unimportant email accounts.

* Turn on Battery saver ( this helps a lot as the battery will only drain 1% in about 5 minutes )

* Make sure you are using a compatible charger ( 2A )

* Enable Developer Options and turn OFF Window animation scale and all other animations.

* Change your wallpaper to a dark one ( this is so important, also make sure you ain't using a live wallpaper as it drains battery quickly)

* Set the launcher theme to Dark.

* Turn off Chat heads on Facebook Messenger.

* The official Facebook app and Snapchat are battery and ram killers so try to use Facebook Lite instead otherwise your battery will drain fast and your phone will get so hot.

* Always make sure no apps are running on the Background.

* Set screen timeout to 15 seconds.
    Last edited by BlackBerryKingdom; 02-15-19 at 06:23 PM.
    the_boon likes this.
    02-15-19 05:03 PM
    Hello,
    Here are some cool stuff you can try so as to increase your battery life on the Priv.

* Turn on Battery saver ( this helps a lot as the battery will only drain 1% in about 5 minutes )

* Enable Developer Options and turn OFF Window animation scale and all other animations.

* Change your wallpaper to a dark one ( this is so important, also make sure you ain't using a live wallpaper as it drains battery quickly)

* The official Facebook app and Snapchat are battery and ram killers so try to use Facebook Lite instead otherwise your battery will drain fast and your phone will get so hot.

Nice tips, but as a former owner of 5 Priv's, I'll add:

Turn OFF "wi-fi and Bluetooth scanning when off"

Use wi-fi when available as the "Android OS" drain should be a lot lower than way than if on cellular

Avoid heavy apps, especially Google Maps unless absolutely necessary
    02-17-19 11:42 AM
    Nice tips, but as a former owner of 5 Priv's, I'll add:

Turn OFF "wi-fi and Bluetooth scanning when off"

Use wi-fi when available as the "Android OS" drain should be a lot lower than way than if on cellular

Avoid heavy apps, especially Google Maps unless absolutely necessary
    Nice ones, thanks so much!
    02-17-19 11:47 AM
    Hi everyone,
    in last resort, I did a factory wipe and reinstalled almost every app. It's crazy : duration has almost doubled ! But I don't know wich app was faultly. Very surprising.
    02-19-19 05:11 PM
    I just resurrected my Priv after shelfing it about 8 months ago. Did a full factory rest, made all the classic tips and tricks changes, disabled the HUB and only installed the apps required. The result? This baby is purring like a cheetah! Yes, you may have to do a lot of tweaking and sacrificing the HUB really makes this more so a budget Android device but the performance gains are real!

Been using the device now a few days with little to no lag and without it heating up like a hot potato. Renewed love affair!
    elfabio80 likes this.
    02-19-19 05:42 PM
    I just resurrected my Priv after shelfing it about 8 months ago. Did a full factory rest, made all the classic tips and tricks changes, disabled the HUB and only installed the apps required. The result? This baby is purring like a cheetah! Yes, you may have to do a lot of tweaking and sacrificing the HUB really makes this more so a budget Android device but the performance gains are real!

Been using the device now a few days with little to no lag and without it heating up like a hot potato. Renewed love affair!
    Even with all the tips and tricks applied, my LE with a 400mAh smaller battery smokes all my previous Priv's, even the one that had a brand new OEM battery installed.
    02-19-19 08:34 PM
    Even with all the tips and tricks applied, my LE with a 400mAh smaller battery smokes all my previous Priv's, even the one that had a brand new OEM battery installed.
    It's not a perfect device and after I switched from the Priv to an iPhone 8 plus (employer forced), you definitely see some of it short comings e.g. iPhone 8+ camera and App support is amazing (but iOS experience is horrible).

But even with all that said, coming back to the Priv and typing on the physical keyboard it's just awesome. Wiping it and applying tweaks has made it just better in my case.
    ionut.stanmtn likes this.
    02-19-19 09:20 PM
    Wow, I had no idea keeping WiFi always connected would reduce idle consumption so much.
    I recently changed it to turn off when the screen is off, so that's why I was getting so much Android OS drain.
    02-20-19 08:09 PM
    Hi,
    thanks for your reply. I had already took a look to the wakelock with gsam. I didn't see anything special, but maybe I'm wrong.
    Gsam indicate current consumption, I don't know how it do that, maybe it's an estimation... But sometimes current is 1500 mA !!! It's not a surprise in that case if battery doesn't last....
    It's a bit annoying !
    Replace battery, may be an option....?
    02-24-19 10:05 AM
    Hello,

Wow lol. Lots to do for a smart phone to save battery.... Guess it's worth it
    02-24-19 10:07 AM

The HUB is my fav...no disabling for me
    02-24-19 10:09 AM
    These are all great tips as I was going to ask about my battery life on my phone as well... seems to get near empty after half a day and I'm not even really active on it during the time.
    02-28-19 07:38 AM
    These are all great tips as I was going to ask about my battery life on my phone as well... seems to get near empty after half a day and I'm not even really active on it during the time.
    Sounds to me like the battery isnt so great at holding a charge anymore. Also apps is background
    02-28-19 11:24 PM
    Hi in standby mine is fine thanks to the above suggestions and lower screen res.

But GPS and wifi just chew through the power. GPS I can't use as if I use sat nav it doesn't charge quick enough and it's drop from full to 20% in about 1hr.

I've tried everything with this devise I love the keyboard and screen but the not getting through half a day is such a poor turnout from blackberry then to leave us all in the lurch with a failed devise that with a bit of effort on there part could at least help it along would have been at least made it usable.

Atb
    03-10-19 05:43 PM
    Both happen to me all the time -- especially when I use data and not wifi, it gets really hot; and it drains the battery like running water, LOL.
    03-14-19 02:00 PM
    Both happen to me all the time -- especially when I use data and not wifi, it gets really hot; and it drains the battery like running water, LOL.
    Welcome to the snapdragon 808 lol
    Tech Idiot and jimmyhagg like this.
    03-14-19 08:44 PM