What a shame. Have had my Priv for 6 days and I am back on my PP SE. In those six days I traveled from NY to Las Vegas and presented at a conference in addition to my usual email answering. I run a consulting business and am an active surgeon with patients who need a HIPPA compliant email with a secure handheld. Being able to travel to teach others to do what I do is my job. And the Priv failed miserably in my opinion. Why?

One simple reason - the Hub is at best beta wear and not ready for prime time as implemented on the Priv. Please understand that I have a Nexus 6 that also failed so I am very acquainted with Android (or Google for you, Mr. Chen). I set up my two email accounts (one for consulting - Gmail), and one HIPPA compliant email (MD mail). I get around 100 to 150 emails a day from other doctors, laser manufacturers and patients, total. My Priv downloaded and set up great and then immediately started to heat up and kill the battery as it tried to download all my emails. I had only 4.5 hours of battery life for the first two days. Then it settled in on the third day BUT all my Gmail was very slow and sporadic coming in to the Hub. Then on the third day for 9 hours I got no Gmail on the Hub and only could see the email in the Gmail app. Then I got on a plane to present at a conference in Las Vegas. Well, I went into Airplane mode and when I went back off Airplane mode my Priv started heating up again and another 9 hours of no email. I saw my battery die in three hours. Massive amounts of data being transferred. I wiped and reloaded everything. Same story. No Gmail in Hub.
    Only in app.

In essence the best part of BB is the worst part of this Android and it is less usable than my Nexus 6 (which lasted all day). Neither is as usable as the PP SE, which sails through and gets email instantaneously with spectacular battery life. I will keep my Priv until I read that the Hub has been fixed. But as of now all I can say is what a shame. My opinion, the Priv is not ready for prime time. Oh, and by the way, when the battery gets really hot the virtual keyboard starts to act up and put multiple letters when you type just one. A real shame.
    John Gee, dusanvn, NtotheK and 4 others like this.
    11-16-15 10:35 PM
    Same as your pirv. Mine heat up super fast and run out of battery normally around 5 hours. Sometimes you didnt do anything, the priv still feel warm. Hub is slow as you mentioned, sometime feels really lag. Getting email way slower than passport. I also dont even know whether priv secure or not, since already a lot of reviews say the security is not as good as Nexus 6P which runs Marshmallow.
    11-16-15 10:44 PM
    I'm close to joining you - I can't type anything on the priv's pkb due to it laging and dropping characters when I am typing moderately quickly on it. using my pasport se again is like a breath of fresh air - sad because I love the priv hardare and the screen is just gorgeous!

but the pasport se feels like a tank compared to my priv with the creaking back and clicking screen...

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Last edited by kertong; 11-16-15 at 11:12 PM.
    Bay 13, lift, Aneres11 and 1 others like this.
    11-16-15 11:00 PM
    Oh, and by the way, when the battery gets really hot the virtual keyboard starts to act up and put multiple letters when you type just one. A real shame.
    Oh no!!! Here we go, just wait for the thread to start: "Priv double type... on the VKB!!!"
    11-16-15 11:13 PM
    Is Snapchat worth this? I'm on an original PP and will get an PP SE when this one dies. Already has fault lines in screen from drops bit still going strong.

I did buy a cheap Motorola for dating apps. It's just not worth giving up what works so well -- BB10.

I hope that Chen feels compelled to make one more device. There are enough BB10 users looking for an upgrade path.

Posted via CB10
    11-16-15 11:14 PM
    Is everyone experiencing this issue??

Posted via CB10
    11-16-15 11:29 PM
    No, there are fixes to make it better but it's no where near a bb10 hub, developers need to fix this quick as I believe this is problem numero uno, whether BlackBerry responds is a whole other issue!

11-16-15 11:34 PM
    What a shame. Have had my Priv for 6 days and I am back on my PP SE. In those six days I traveled from NY to Las Vegas and presented at a conference in addition to my usual email answering. I run a consulting business and am an active surgeon with patients who need a HIPPA compliant email with a secure handheld. Being able to travel to teach others to do what I do is my job. And the Priv failed miserably in my opinion. Why?

One simple reason - the Hub is at best beta wear and not ready for prime time as implemented on the Priv. Please understand that I have a Nexus 6 that also failed so I am very acquainted with Android (or Google for you, Mr. Chen). I set up my two email accounts (one for consulting - Gmail), and one HIPPA compliant email (MD mail). I get around 100 to 150 emails a day from other doctors, laser manufacturers and patients, total. My Priv downloaded and set up great and then immediately started to heat up and kill the battery as it tried to download all my emails. I had only 4.5 hours of battery life for the first two days. Then it settled in on the third day BUT all my Gmail was very slow and sporadic coming in to the Hub. Then on the third day for 9 hours I got no Gmail on the Hub and only could see the email in the Gmail app. Then I got on a plane to present at a conference in Las Vegas. Well, I went into Airplane mode and when I went back off Airplane mode my Priv started heating up again and another 9 hours of no email. I saw my battery die in three hours. Massive amounts of data being transferred. I wiped and reloaded everything. Same story. No Gmail in Hub.
    Only in app.

In essence the best part of BB is the worst part of this Android and it is less usable than my Nexus 6 (which lasted all day). Neither is as usable as the PP SE, which sails through and gets email instantaneously with spectacular battery life. I will keep my Priv until I read that the Hub has been fixed. But as of now all I can say is what a shame. My opinion, the Priv is not ready for prime time. Oh, and by the way, when the battery gets really hot the virtual keyboard starts to act up and put multiple letters when you type just one. A real shame.
    This sound like an excellent case study for BlackBerry to use when perfecting the hub. Hopefully someone at BlackBerry will see this. Thanks for posting!

11-16-15 11:36 PM
    BlackBerry barely hear from us. Yesterday, today, and tomorrow, either.

Posted via CB10 from Passport SQW100-4/10.3.2.2789
    11-16-15 11:57 PM
    I am switching from my Passport SE to Priv tomorrow. Do you recommend I skip setting up the hub until its updated?
    11-17-15 12:33 AM
    Sounds like a lot of work is needed. The fix is coming soon! They have two devs lurking here, and have responded to some.
    11-17-15 01:19 AM
    I recommend not using the Hub although if you are not in a rush I recommend waiting switching altogether. There are other little problems that make the whole Priv experience less fluid than the BB10 on the Passport. If I did not love and feel I needed the Hub my Nexus 6 would be my choice over the Priv. Issues with SD card file saving, issues with the signal strength all make the Priv a little primitive compared to the best Android experience in my mind.
    11-17-15 05:40 AM
    Back to mine as well. Don't have time to jerk around with crappy battery life, messenger app crashing, and flurry of unimportant android notifications

Posted via CB10
    kertong likes this.
    11-17-15 05:46 AM
    I am switching from my Passport SE to Priv tomorrow. Do you recommend I skip setting up the hub until its updated?
    Update the entire system before going ahead to setup.less issues.

вιaсĸвεггч� ᕵяiv (STV100-3 Rogers Wireless)via CB for Android 5.1.1
    11-17-15 05:58 AM
    I recommend not using the Hub although if you are not in a rush I recommend waiting switching altogether. There are other little problems that make the whole Priv experience less fluid than the BB10 on the Passport. If I did not love and feel I needed the Hub my Nexus 6 would be my choice over the Priv. Issues with SD card file saving, issues with the signal strength all make the Priv a little primitive compared to the best Android experience in my mind.
    BlackBerry offers free software and hardware support for 1 year, have you tried to open a ticket with BlackBerry and see what they can do to solve your issues? Do you know that if they are unable to solve it, it gets escalated internally to develops to look at it. Posting on Crackberry will get your story out but not necessary solve it.

Also have you updated BlackBerry apps, did you go to Google Play and searched for BlackBerry and download all updates manually?

As for your Gmail have you tried to configure PUSH rather sync?

If I were you, I would also get a small power bank in my bag just In case I run out of juice, I still can get my phone running for additional few hours. If you would not believe it, I bought a power bank for 4 Bucks and it comes with quick charge and it can easily give me between 20 - 60% battery while I'm on the road so it can get very handy at times.

Good luck and I hope you will enjoy your PRIV and get all of your issues resolved .

Posted via CB10
    11-17-15 07:04 AM
    BlackBerry offers free software and hardware support for 1 year, have you tried to open a ticket with BlackBerry and see what they can do to solve your issues? Do you know that if they are unable to solve it, it gets escalated internally to develops to look at it. Posting on Crackberry will get your story out but not necessary solve it.

Also have you updated BlackBerry apps, did you go to Google Play and searched for BlackBerry and download all updates manually?

If I were you, I would also get a small power bank in my bag just In case I run out of juice, I still can get my phone running for additional few hours. If you would not believe it, I bought a power bank for 4 Bucks and it comes with quick charge and it can easily give me between 20 - 60% battery while I'm on the road so it can get very handy at times.

Good luck and I hope you will enjoy your PRIV and get all of your issues resolved .

Posted via CB10
    Is this a joke?
    The z30 and passport last you through the day even if you watch TV for 4-5 hours a day on your cellphone while typing away emails and editing text files in multitasking mode.
    What year is this? Carry batteries with you? I have never thought you'd see this kind of suggestion on a crackberry forum.
    Bay 13, DeliFresser, lift and 1 others like this.
    11-17-15 07:44 AM

Posted via CB10
    Yup. All updated. Push on, Sync on, Sync off, Push off ...tried them all. Re: BB software support I read all the forums here and does not appear that there is a whole lot of help available as almost all who have contacted BB are educating them.
    11-17-15 08:32 AM
    I find the vkb comments interesting. When using tapatalk on my Z30 I experience kb lag but not so much any double letters but sometimes complete words missing or only a partial word showing. Maybe it's the vbk software on Android.

Anyone try a different vkb?
    11-17-15 08:39 AM
    I haven't experienced these kinds of problems.

I don't think battery life is as good as it is on Passport but it isn't horrible either.

I've gone back and forth between my Passport and Priv too. I think I'm on Priv for good now.

11-17-15 08:40 AM

Only in app.

People really need to set up your syncing up properly. Hopefully it will be defaulted to Never on next release. Especially apps that push and pull updates like sports and weather apps. Priv no longer gets hot anymore that my Z30
    My Z30 got hot if downloading or using an app that drew a lot of data. Android starts with everything on, go through EVERY app and turn notifications or sync to off. Where BB10'S usually start in off position or give you option as you download

Posted from my Priv!
    11-17-15 08:52 AM
    I find the vkb comments interesting. When using tapatalk on my Z30 I experience kb lag but not so much any double letters but sometimes complete words missing or only a partial word showing. Maybe it's the vbk software on Android.

Anyone try a different vkb?
    It is not doubling but totally different letters from totally different area of keyboard. Only when hot.
    11-17-15 08:57 AM
    I also stopped sync on the Gmail app and had push only on the Hub. Just sat there for hours. In fact I left it on wifi at home and on push only. Had not received any email since 7 am YESTERDAY. Really not ready for prime time in my opinion. I am sure BB will figure it out but I do not have time to sit and try anymore.
    Joey Vajda likes this.
    11-17-15 09:00 AM
    I also stopped sync on the Gmail app and had push only on the Hub. Just sat there for hours. In fact I left it on wifi at home and on push only. Had not received any email since 7 am YESTERDAY. Really not ready for prime time in my opinion. I am sure BB will figure it out but I do not have time to sit and try anymore.
    Are you sure you have the latest updates?All my email accounts have been synching fine, including Gmail.

Is this a carrier phone? I ask because the OS on the ShopBlackBerry phones is a few weeks newer than the versions on carrier phones.

11-17-15 10:35 AM
    ATT phone on ATT with all available updates to all services (BB and Google).
    lift likes this.
    11-17-15 10:42 AM

Only in app.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I have a similar workload and have experienced the same things. Not ready for prime time is right - agreed on all counts.
    lift and MGO like this.
    11-17-15 12:25 PM
57 123