I am looking for an option to have my priv automatically turn wifi back on after a period of time. I have forgot to turn wifi back on after turning it off a lot recently and am using a lot of data. I know it's my own stupidity but I hope my phone can watch my back for me and turn it back on.
    02-07-17 10:54 AM
    Just leave it on!

I don't think there's an API that allows an app to turn on WiFi automatically
    02-07-17 10:57 AM
    I am looking for an option to have my priv automatically turn wifi back on after a period of time. I have forgot to turn wifi back on after turning it off a lot recently and am using a lot of data. I know it's my own stupidity but I hope my phone can watch my back for me and turn it back on.
    I am not sure how much power is really used if you just leave wifi on all of the time. I only turn it off when flying - airplane mode.

But I wonder if Tasker (fairly complex) can do it???
    02-07-17 12:37 PM
    I am not sure how much power is really used if you just leave wifi on all of the time. I only turn it off when flying - airplane mode.

But I wonder if Tasker (fairly complex) can do it???
    I think it used the be power hungry but nowadays the consumption is insignificant. Also having wifi one will help reduce the power consumption of the GPS
    02-07-17 06:39 PM
    Tasker can definitely do it. The profile will basically be to detect Wifi Off, then Wait a certain amount of time, before setting Wifi On.
    FF22 likes this.
    02-07-17 08:04 PM
    Just make sure wifi and bluetooth scanning is OFF, under location, then somewhere is a setting to not show available wifi, (whenever you drive past a Starbucks).
    Then just leave wifi on all the time. No reason to turn it off.
    FF22 likes this.
    02-08-17 07:25 AM
    Tasker can do it. I have it programmed to recognize all the wifi networks I normally access, wifi stays off until it sees one it recognizes and automatically connects. Once the network is out of range it turns wifi Off again.
    FF22 likes this.
    02-08-17 10:38 AM
    Tasker can do it. I have it programmed to recognize all the wifi networks I normally access, wifi stays off until it sees one it recognizes and automatically connects. Once the network is out of range it turns wifi Off again.
    If the wifi is off, how does it know there a recognized network?
    02-08-17 06:16 PM
    If the wifi is off, how does it know there a recognized network?
    It sniffs for networks at predefined intervals.
    FF22 likes this.
    02-09-17 05:52 PM
    And, here I thought it was using its psychic powers!
    02-09-17 07:39 PM
    Seems like a lot of complication and effort to accomplish little if anything. But hey, what ever makes you happy.
    I suppose if you are using Tasker for other stuff and already know how to use it, it might not be a big deal. Is there really an advantage to leaving wifi off? Specially considering that to avoid coverage lapses you would have to 'sniff' pretty often,.like every 30 min at a minimum.

Could it be set up to only turn wifi on when you were at a certain location(s)?
    On second thought, lets not go there, I don't have the time to start playing with Tasker. Prob not the patience either.
    02-09-17 08:30 PM
    Could it be set up to only turn wifi on when you were at a certain location(s)?
    On second thought, lets not go there, I don't have the time to start playing with Tasker. Prob not the patience either.
    You can with Tasker, it is really a powerful tool if you know how to use it. However, I suspect the location services polling will consume more power than that saved by turning off WiFi. Nonetheless, it's something you can do if you're already using a location based profile, for example for home automation.
    FF22 likes this.
    02-10-17 08:27 AM