I know there are some BlackBerry staff reading some of these posts noting issues that need to be addressed.

I wanted to grab your attention and ask if your management is way out of touch with their customers, or are there reasons why epic failure of decisions keep getting repeatedly made?

For example:

No BBM Video on Android when your new flagship device is Android. Fail.

Various build quality issues on a cannot fail device. Fail.

Expecting Passport/Classic owners to upgrade to a pricer device with Leap parts. (Speakers). Fail.

Advertising that you've brought BlackBerry 10 features to Android with subpar versions of those features like Hub. Fail.

I'm sure people have many other issue. Ignoring the fact that all of these are NO BRAINERS, your loyal fans voice these concerns loudly. I truly need to know for my own sanity. Do your bosses somehow not know? Do they have no pulse on the needs of users? Or do they know, and there are reasons why all these fails have occurred?

Any insight would be appreciated. I'm known as a huge BlackBerry fan to my friends and even I'm ready to throw in the towel. I can't take these glaringly stupid mistakes anymore. I wanted to like the Priv so much. Even got used to the idea of Android. But I can't she'll out $1000 CND to buy a device with so many fails IMO. And I'm starting to feel as though my Passport is going to be the last BlackBerry device I'm ever going to purchase unless someone at BlackBerry wakes the hell up.

This is in part a rant to blow off some steam. The ineptitude is driving me nuts. But I honestly am looking for an answer to this question as well for my own sanity. Does anyone else feel this way?

Posted via CB10
    Well said!

Posted via CB10
    02-24-16 06:28 AM
    I wanted to grab your attention and ask if your management is way out of touch with their customers, or are there reasons why epic failure of decisions keep getting repeatedly made?
    Snip.

I tuned out after this. Another armchair CEO rant from another CrackBerry pundit taking a break from pouring coffee at Starbucks to tell John Chen how he ought to go about running his multi billion dollar corporation.
    02-24-16 07:00 AM
    Not liking the phone or features and explaining why is one thing.

Calling out the helpful devs that actually take the time to read and post here (a rarity in the industry) as blanket failures and making bad decisions on a wide scale just because he personally doesn't like something is unnecessary and also untrue as many are happy with some of those decisions.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    I'm calling them out because these failures have been systematic and plaguing BlackBerry for years. But worst of all because they refuse to learn from their mistakes.

I'm sincerely glad you enjoy your Priv. But BlackBerry's hardware sales historically support that most people are not happy with these deficiencies.

And I know no official Priv numbers have been announced. But I'm not feeling confident about them. I work and commute in downtown Toronto and always see tons of new devices bought by users. I've seen one Priv in the wild in the four months it has been around. ONE. Same happened with Passport and we know how those numbers turned out.

So yes. I'm frustrated and concerned with the horrible decisions being made by BlackBerry staff and management.

Posted via CB10
    02-24-16 07:03 AM
    There's no issue with pointing out issues or giving suggestions or requesting changes. I'm simply suggesting it's not helpful or constructive to insult and call out the devs while doing so. Especially when we are lucky they even read or post here.

If you read my post again you will see I posted a very specific question that I was looking an answer to. And how did I insult them by pointing out the errors they've made?

Posted via CB10
    02-24-16 07:06 AM
    You're completely missing the point of my replies. Complaints/feedback, fine. Insulting the developers, not okay. I'm going to back out of this thread now and we can agree to disagree as you aren't understanding what I'm saying about how people word feedback.

Pointout out the faults of the decisions made. Again. That is not insulting someone. It's not insulting when you point out to someone 1+1 does not equal 4. You're pointing out an error.

And even if it were insulting, I didn't say the staff made those errors. I was asking the staff if they know if their management is out of the loop or are there reasons for these blunders. I was asking them a question.

Reading skills sir.

Posted via CB10
    L o r d R a j likes this.
    02-24-16 07:10 AM
    Well, Perhaps the OP could've opted for a better choice of words, agreed. BUT considering that he does admit that it's a rant / venting post, I think some leverage can be extended to him. At least he wasn't FRUSTRATED with a fellow user. He was just FRUSTRATED with the device experience.
    Rant and I wanted an answer to my question.

Posted via CB10
    02-24-16 07:11 AM
    Snip.

I tuned out after this. Another armchair CEO rant from another CrackBerry pundit taking a break from pouring coffee at Starbucks to tell John Chen how he ought to go about running his multi billion dollar corporation.
    I actually have a professional job with ample education. I think it's very unkind of you to suggest that anyone that works as Starbucks is beneath you. Shame on you.

As I had stated I'm a very proud BlackBerry user who is starting to have enough. Not a pundit. And as a paying customer I am considering not purchasing their product anymore because I'm tired of being victim of the "buy this we'll fix it later" routine. As a customer I'm entitled to my opinion of the product. Not to mention many of those promise have been broken in the past.

I am not telling John Chen how to run his business, I actually quite like the man. But as a customer and a shareholder, I'm not out of line wondering if management has a pulse on their user's opinions, which was my question in my post.

Thank you.

Posted via CB10
    crackberry_geek likes this.
    02-24-16 07:23 AM
    Most employees probably demoralized already anyway. Priv turned out like any other unfinished product. BB10 still has potential if BlackBerry knows how to market it.

Passport SE
    02-24-16 07:33 AM
    I actually have a professional job with ample education. I think it's very unkind of you to suggest that anyone that works as Starbucks is beneath you.
    Nonsense. I would actually be atrociously bad in a fast paced job like that, with a manager screaming at me and a lineup of grouchy customers out the door griping at me to "hurry up because I need to get to work" and people buzzing around behind the counter and a manager tapping his watch.

But you can substitute just about any job people have for the same point. It's one thing to be disappointed that you don't have what you like (as a specific customer). It's another to come on a forum and start insulting management and acting like you have all the answers to save the day.

It's also important to remember that John Chen's job isn't actually to give you a device you want. It's to keep the company alive and return value to the shareholders. If he *can* do it with devices, great. If he can't, he'll do it with something else.

As I had stated I'm a very proud BlackBerry user who is starting to have enough. Not a pundit. And as a paying customer I am considering not purchasing their product anymore because I'm tired of being victim of the "buy this we'll fix it later" routine.
    I've always said, if a device works for you, it works for you. If it doesn't, move on. I did because I couldn't get the specific apps I needed.

That said, I've tried Android and iOS devices and - you know what - I had a surprising amount of issues with them as well. I thought I'd have the golden child when I switched to iPhone and iPad, and discovered a rather constant stream of annoying problems. Same with my stint on Android, particularly when I had Kindle Fire and its endless lag.

My lesson learned? They all have issues. The question is whether you can put up with their issues and also if the device meets your needs.

Posted via CB10[/QUOTE]
    02-24-16 07:34 AM
    We're here to help folks with legitimate concerns or suggestions with respect our specific domains of expertise -- as was mentioned in our initial posts. There is no way we can comment on the topics you mention.
    I'm not asking for specific confidential details. All I want to know is are they aware of these common user complaints? (ie demand for BBM Video and build quality)

I don't need specifics on which problems they are aware of. Just asking if they are aware of the common issues and complaints of the Priv or are they oblivious to them.

It actually makes me sad that I can't buy a Priv. And would hope they're aware of the issues. Maybe they can correct them in time for Priv 2, but they need to be aware to fix them. So that's why I was wondering.

Just a "yes they're aware" or "we can bring it to their attention" is what I'm looking for

Posted via CB10
    02-24-16 07:36 AM
    I know there are some BlackBerry staff reading some of these posts noting issues that need to be addressed.

For example:

No BBM Video on Android when your new flagship device is Android. Fail.
    Do you understand how expensive it is to host your own video? Sure they could do it for BB10 users because there were no BB10 users, but there's no way a company this size could afford to do it on Android.

Various build quality issues on a cannot fail device. Fail.
    There's not that many issues. People with problems are always the loudest on forums. Go to forums for any device and you will see the same amount of complaints.

Expecting Passport/Classic owners to upgrade to a pricer device with Leap parts. (Speakers). Fail.

Advertising that you've brought BlackBerry 10 features to Android with subpar versions of those features like Hub. Fail.
    I don't judge speakers since the best phone speakers are still total garbage. I don't care if I have the shiniest turd. They're not trying to appeal to Passport/Classic owners or BB10 users whatsoever, if they wanted to do that the Priv would be running BB10. Now they're actually trying to make a profit.

I don't see why any of this stuff is so hard for you people to figure out. So what if their unique software isn't as good as it was on BB10 yet? Are you surprised it's harder for them to do that on their first Android phone vs. their own platform? Really? Turn the features off then and use it like any other Android phone.

This device is, and should be, about appealing to the Android crowd not the BB10 crowd if they want to stay in the handset business. It's the cold hard truth, unfortunately.
    02-24-16 07:37 AM
    Nonsense. I would actually be atrociously bad in a fast paced job like that, with a manager screaming at me and a lineup of grouchy customers out the door griping at me to "hurry up because I need to get to work" and people buzzing around behind the counter and a manager tapping his watch.

But you can substitute just about any job people have for the same point. It's one thing to be disappointed that you don't have what you like (as a specific customer). It's another to come on a forum and start insulting management and acting like you have all the answers to save the day.

It's also important to remember that John Chen's job isn't actually to give you a device you want. It's to keep the company alive and return value to the shareholders. If he *can* do it with devices, great. If he can't, he'll do it with something else.

I've always said, if a device works for you, it works for you. If it doesn't, move on. I did because I couldn't get the specific apps I needed.

That said, I've tried Android and iOS devices and - you know what - I had a surprising amount of issues with them as well. I thought I'd have the golden child when I switched to iPhone and iPad, and discovered a rather constant stream of annoying problems. Same with my stint on Android, particularly when I had Kindle Fire and its endless lag.

My lesson learned? They all have issues. The question is whether you can put up with their issues and also if the device meets your needs.

Posted via CB10
    [/QUOTE]

No, it's his job to be profitable. And by deciding to go all in on Android, and executing poorly with lost obvious opportunities, it's worrisome.

Posted via CB10
    02-24-16 07:38 AM
    I'm not asking for specific confidential details. All I want to know is are they aware of these common user complaints? (ie demand for BBM Video and build quality)

I don't need specifics on which problems they are aware of. Just asking if they are aware of the common issues and complaints of the Priv or are they oblivious to them.

It actually makes me sad that I can't buy a Priv. And would hope they're aware of the issues. Maybe they can correct them in time for Priv 2, but they need to be aware to fix them. So that's why I was wondering.

Just a "yes they're aware" or "we can bring it to their attention" is what I'm looking for

Posted via CB10
    I told you to watch out for the typical "BlackBerry will fix it in the future " talk lol. It was bound to happen.

Posted via CB10
    L o r d R a j likes this.
    02-24-16 07:39 AM
    The blackberry hub is annoying. Whatsapp and sms are not integrated well with Hub.

Blackberry, Hub is your iconic. Please solve the bug before launch. Otherwise blackberry is failed!!!

Posted via CB10
    02-24-16 07:42 AM
    Somemore, Backup whole phone data is impossible unless Blackberry link. It's failed!!!!!

Posted via CB10
    02-24-16 07:43 AM
    While I don't disagree with everything said in what Priv is lacking.. I went from iPhone to z30 to Priv.. OS wise bb10 is still my favourite, but lack of support from developers made it frustrating, like soundhound and flipboard for example became useless. But I prefer the OS as a whole and am disappointed nobody would support it as if they did I'm sure it would have taken off better.

My only main thing I didn't like when I first got Priv was the soft creaking backing. They could have put more care into making it premium... but I now have a Tetded case and so I don't care any more... yah it sucks also the speaker isn't passport quality or even z30.. But it's still better than modern iPhone lol, front camera should also have future proofed themselves with at least 5mp. But all and all I'm happy with the hardware

As for their "OS fail". Ya there was some hiccups that shouldn't have happened because all the reviews made sure to use them against BlackBerry, but for me personally, ya I don't get why we don't have BBM video yet cross platform, I don't get why key apps like contacts don't let you manage their own apps like BBM, I don't like notes and tasks yet and the productivity edge could have more customization options

But those OS things I am hopeful after marshmallow they will improve on the over all experience. After all this is their first android and we haven't even seen any updates yet besides security, but really why worry about new features on lollipop when it's marshmallow we all want

(Unless these fails like stated are deliberate, which sometimes it seems that way as an excuse to exit hardware..)

*-* BBM Channel : Netflix Newsroom C003BA5E3 | Facebook.com/NetflixNewsroom *-*
    02-24-16 07:45 AM
    I told you to watch out for the typical "BlackBerry will fix it in the future " talk lol. It was bound to happen.

Posted via CB10
    You correctly did.

I think it's frustrating and a lot of us feel the same.

Posted via CB10
    02-24-16 07:47 AM
    The blackberry hub is annoying. Whatsapp and sms are not integrated well with Hub.

Blackberry, Hub is your iconic. Please solve the bug before launch. Otherwise blackberry is failed!!!

Posted via CB10
    I'm hoping these issues, and others, will be addressed when Marshmallow is launched on Priv.

But I am no longer giving BlackBerry my money until the product is complete. I'm tired of buying empty promises at a premium price.

Posted via CB10
    02-24-16 07:49 AM
    While I don't disagree with everything said in what Priv is lacking.. I went from iPhone to z30 to Priv.. OS wise bb10 is still my favourite, but lack of support from developers made it frustrating, like soundhound and flipboard for example became useless. But I prefer the OS as a whole and am disappointed nobody would support it as if they did I'm sure it would have taken off better.

My only main thing I didn't like when I first got Priv was the soft creaking backing. They could have put more care into making it premium... but I now have a Tetded case and so I don't care any more... yah it sucks also the speaker isn't passport quality or even z30.. But it's still better than modern iPhone lol, front camera should also have future proofed themselves with at least 5mp. But all and all I'm happy with the hardware

As for their "OS fail". Ya there was some hiccups that shouldn't have happened because all the reviews made sure to use them against BlackBerry, but for me personally, ya I don't get why we don't have BBM video yet cross platform, I don't get why key apps like contacts don't let you manage their own apps like BBM, I don't like notes and tasks yet and the productivity edge could have more customization options

But those OS things I am hopeful after marshmallow they will improve on the over all experience. After all this is their first android and we haven't even seen any updates yet besides security, but really why worry about new features on lollipop when it's marshmallow we all want

(Unless these fails like stated are deliberate, which sometimes it seems that way as an excuse to exit hardware..)

*-* BBM Channel : Netflix Newsroom C003BA5E3 | Facebook.com/NetflixNewsroom *-*
    Great feedback. The Priv speakers I had were half as quiet as my brother in law's Galaxy S6 Edge and my best friend's Leap. Maybe the hardware was a dud. Thank you for sharing.

Posted via CB10
    02-24-16 07:53 AM
    No, it's his job to be profitable.

That's what I was getting at when I said "return value to the shareholders."

And by deciding to go all in on Android, and executing poorly with lost obvious opportunities, it's worrisome.
    On 'executing poorly", I don't know if I agree or disagree. Not so much that they don't have things to fix. But as I said, wander into any forum on mobile nations, for any platform, at any time, and you'll see people having tons of issues. Some are legit and common. Some are edge cases. Some are user error.

But in the end, some random complaints do not necessarily mean the sky is falling ... especially when one is talking about thousands upon thousands upon millions of devices out there. Maybe it does, but like I said ... go into any forum on any platform and you'll see the same thing.
    02-24-16 07:57 AM

Posted via CB10
    I think Chen fully is aware of what BlackBerry's problems are.....

What you aren't aware of is that there is no fix!

BBM Video.... It's been explained that the cost to add equipment and bandwidth to handle that data intensive traffic would be a MAJOR expenditure. But BlackBerry has no reason to believe they can recoup that cost in any sort of timely manner. Most of the "growth" that BBM initial saw when it went crossplatform was in markets where subscribing to apps is not nearly as common.

Build quality.... you get what you pay for. BlackBerry is asking for phones that are "cheap" and that is what they are getting.

Not getting the move to Android right the first time.... where have you been. BlackBerry is a TERRIBLE software company! Their first all touch phone was a software nightmare. The PlayBook was released without half of it's software. Z10 was launched with a beta version of the software that took 18 months to stabilize. The release of BBM on iOS and Android... should have told you that 12 months to move the whole platform to Android wasn't going to be enough.

What you don't really understand.... is Chen hasn't really been working to keep BlackBerry in the hardware business, he knew it was too late to do that. He is making a slow and strategic withdrawal to get the most he can out of the hardware business with as little cost as possible.
    aha and Troy Tiscareno like this.
    02-24-16 07:59 AM
    That's what I was getting at when I said "return value to the shareholders."

On 'executing poorly", I don't know if I agree or disagree. Not so much that they don't have things to fix. But as I said, wander into any forum on mobile nations, for any platform, at any time, and you'll see people having tons of issues. Some are legit and common. Some are edge cases. Some are user error.

But in the end, some random complaints do not necessarily mean the sky is falling ... especially when one is talking about thousands upon thousands upon millions of devices out there. Maybe it does, but like I said ... go into any forum on any platform and you'll see the same thing.
    I hope you're right. I am worried about the sales numbers, but I suppose I should wait and see when they are announced.

Thank you for the conversation.

Posted via CB10
    02-24-16 08:00 AM
    What a good point, TERRIBLE SOFTWARE COMPANY!!!

BBM Video.... It's been explained that the cost to add equipment and bandwidth to handle that data intensive traffic would be a MAJOR expenditure. But BlackBerry has no reason to believe they can recoup that cost in any sort of timely manner. Most of the "growth" that BBM initial saw when it went crossplatform was in markets where subscribing to apps is not nearly as common.

Build quality.... you get what you pay for. BlackBerry is asking for phones that are "cheap" and that is what they are getting.

Not getting the move to Android right the first time.... where have you been. BlackBerry is a TERRIBLE software company! Their first all touch phone was a software nightmare. The PlayBook was released without half of it's software. Z10 was launched with a beta version of the software that took 18 months to stabilize. The release of BBM on iOS and Android... should have told you that 12 months to move the whole platform to Android wasn't going to be enough.

What you don't really understand.... is Chen hasn't really been working to keep BlackBerry in the hardware business, he knew it was too late to do that. He is making a slow and strategic withdrawal to get the most he can out of the hardware business with as little cost as possible.

Posted via CB10
    02-24-16 08:03 AM

With regards to BBM Video do you mean it has to run through the NOC? I wasn't aware of the added equipment cost server side. Can you tell me more? You seem knowledgeable and I haven't found these answers doing a search.

With regards to their performance as a software company. Fair comment.

I don't want to believe Chen is trying to quietly bury the handset company. But I'm starting to become convinced.

Posted via CB10
    02-24-16 08:06 AM
    He told you this, did he? Or perhaps you were taking notes during his secret presentation to the board of directors?

Typical CrackBerry lunacy with people acting like they play squash with John Chen twice a week.
    02-24-16 08:11 AM
135 12345 ...