I press it. It laughs at me. It tasks me, dammit Jim. But I have no idea what it does or how to set it to do something I want it to do. Can it be set up that way even ????
    11-11-15 01:37 PM
    It seems to mute (or unmute) the "media" volume, though only if media is playing. I wish you could reassign the function of it like you can the home button swipe action thingies (really nifty that feature).
    It brings you directly to the home screen

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    11-11-15 01:42 PM
    The Virtual Circle is Home, The Square is Task manager.

The physical middle button brings up volume.
    brianmartinuk likes this.
    11-11-15 01:44 PM
    I press it. It laughs at me. It tasks me, dammit Jim. But I have no idea what it does or how to set it to do something I want it to do. Can it be set up that way even ????
    Are you talking about that silly volume button on the side of the device that's only function seems to be to bring up the volume menu without adjusting volumes?

Or the Android circle that brings you to the home screen?

One of those is very useful and the other seems to be ridiculous.
    11-11-15 01:49 PM
    Its only a mute button.
    11-11-15 02:25 PM
    Ya this one :

....that silly volume button on the side of the device that's only function seems to be to bring up the volume menu without adjusting volumes"

Yes it appears that's the only function. Cannot be re-tasked ??

The other virtual buttons on the screen I understand.....

allanbank likes this.
    11-11-15 02:26 PM
    On BB10 it's the pause/start/assistant button.

Posted via my Z30 (10.3.2.2639)
    11-11-15 02:39 PM
    It seems to mute (or unmute) the "media" volume, though only if media is playing. I wish you could reassign the function of it like you can the home button swipe action thingies (really nifty that feature).
    01-15-16 04:21 AM
    I wish it would pause media
    DiegoV_G likes this.
    01-15-16 04:28 AM
    How do you customize those three buttons that appear from the middle circular home-screen button?

01-15-16 04:54 AM
    How do you customize those three buttons that appear from the middle circular home-screen button?

Two finger swipe down from the top of the screen. Press the Settings icon (looks like a gear) beside the battery meter. Press Swipe shortcuts.

Posted via my Priv 5.1.1.
    Attached Thumbnails ARRRGH. On the PRIV WHAT does the middle button do ? What's it for ?????-545795.jpg  
    01-15-16 07:05 AM
    On BB10 it's the pause/start/assistant button.

Posted via my Z30 (10.3.2.2639)
    Unfortunately, on the PRIV it is useless.

I miss being able to use the middle button to mute without touching the screen. Especially while working out and I have my PRIV in an arm or waist band and want to hear something else for a moment.

Under not touchscreen BBOS devices and BB10 this button was also used as a select button while the volume up and down were used to scroll through lists like messages in the email inbox, or app icons on the home page. Very useful for single hand scrolling and selecting.

Obviously the PRIV was meant to run BB10... but once the opted for Android, BlackBerry could have saved a bit of money by getting rid of it since Android does not have any meaningful support for it.

PRIVateering since 2015.
    01-15-16 07:21 AM
    Can software updates bring the possibility to make changes to this pointless button?

01-16-16 03:26 AM
    That middle button is very useful when I want to silence my phone during meetings etc. The function to automatically end it after x hours is also very useful. I use that button a lot.

John Gee and ev44 like this.
    01-16-16 04:04 AM
    using the "all in one gestures" and a "tasker" app task I've remapped the middle hardware button to actually toggle Mute. Will post the task here when I get a chance. To map the button you need to enter the hardware buttons menu of all in one gestures, click the top right corner menu, add a custom button and then press the button.
    01-16-16 08:20 AM
    using the "all in one gestures" and a "tasker" app task I've remapped the middle hardware button to actually toggle Mute. Will post the task here when I get a chance. To map the button you need to enter the hardware buttons menu of all in one gestures, click the top right corner menu, add a custom button and then press the button.
    Can you make it act like BB10 and actually pause media?
    01-16-16 08:40 AM

You can't. Not sure why you need to. The only one that becomes redundant occasionally is the back triangle button when you're on the home screen. (but so is circle if t you're there to which is just like the home button on iOS
    01-16-16 09:02 AM
    Like OP I often press the middle hardware button thinking it'll pause whatever I'm listening to. But after several times of frustration I noticed it was mute only. Not that mute isn't good sometimes... but after the torch and q10 old habits are hard to break. So while my media continues to play silently, I don't hear minutes of podcast or chapters of books etc.

It's one a a few differences from BlackBerry + android that I can't grasp!

Ugh is right!

Posted via BlackBerry PRIV
    01-16-16 09:07 AM
    The difference is 'mute' silences but media keeps playing. And "pause' silences and keeps your spot , so that when you 'unpause' you are where you left off.

Posted via BlackBerry PRIV
    01-16-16 09:50 AM
    Try it an you will find out. Have you tried pressing it

01-16-16 09:58 AM
    Can you make it act like BB10 and actually pause media?

sure this is possible within Tasker, you can remap it to do pretty much anything. I suggest you download the app and play around with it a bit, should fulfil more ideas you may have.

This is my toggle mute task. It leaves alarm volume unaffected:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/qwr0auaqi5...e.tsk.xml?dl=0
    01-16-16 12:04 PM
    It had some random purpose back in the old BlackBerry day, and BlackBerry is incapable of changing things, like add a front facing "." key to their keyboard, but no we need two shift keys!

Posted via CB10
    01-16-16 12:24 PM
    sure this is possible within Tasker, you can remap it to do pretty much anything. I suggest you download the app and play around with it a bit, should fulfil more ideas you may have.

This is my toggle mute task. It leaves alarm volume unaffected:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/qwr0auaqi5...e.tsk.xml?dl=0
    Such a complicated App. How can I set it so media apps pause instead of mute?
    01-16-16 12:27 PM
    Should be programmable as a Hub shortcut

Posted via CB10
    01-16-16 01:22 PM
    Can software updates bring the possibility to make changes to this pointless button?

Yes, they can.

Although, I am pretty sure somewhere in Google Play there is probably an app that can help do this...
    01-16-16 01:29 PM
37 12