I honestly believe the next update we'll see is Android Nuget. Call me crazy, but they've developed it for K1 already. The tweaks required for an individual device aren't that significant.

Unlike many others who are pessimistic, I'm 99% sure N eventually gets to us, and this delay past the normal security patch dates (3rd to 6th), makes me optimistically suspicious. 😎
    It seems to me it would be to their benefit and efficiency to have all BlackBerry devices running the same OS version, providing it is physically possible for the hardware. It means many less security patches required and better compatibility with the BlackBerry App suite, which is constantly being updated.
    Nathan Conley likes this.
    04-18-17 09:13 AM
    I check multiple times a day, but as everyone knows - nothing yet. I am curious as to the lateness when BlackBerry has been so punctual for so long. Part of me says it is due to Nougat coming in May, but then maybe not.

We will know soon enough, I suspect.
    That sounds nice but that leaves our security compromised for a month and probably more since I doubt Nougat, if that is the holdup, will come out that quickly after the KEYone is released.
    xandros9 likes this.
    04-18-17 09:16 AM
    That sounds nice but that leaves our security compromised for a month and probably more since I doubt Nougat, if that is the holdup, will come out that quickly after the KEYone is released.
    Oh, don't think I don't want my security patch because I do. I, like others, are just farting into the wind when it comes to a reason for the delay.
    FF22 likes this.
    04-18-17 09:22 AM
    I check multiple times a day, but as everyone knows - nothing yet. I am curious as to the lateness when BlackBerry has been so punctual for so long. Part of me says it is due to Nougat coming in May, but then maybe not.

We will know soon enough, I suspect.
    I rather think BB fired so many people that they struggle to finish software of the KEYone and providing updates to the other devices at the same time.
    04-18-17 11:56 AM
    That wouldn't explain why the dtek50 got the patch unless it's not getting N.
    If that happens....imagine the vitriol on the DTEK50 forums.......
    04-18-17 11:59 AM
    If that happens....imagine the vitriol on the DTEK50 forums.......
    That will be a forum I will avoid. Whew! Not good. 😉
    04-18-17 12:20 PM
    I keep asking but I don't get a straight reply.

Is it BlackBerry or TCL that is responsible for security patches?

Is it BlackBerry or TCL that is responsible for Android OS updates? Same for OS10 updates?
    04-18-17 01:56 PM

Is it BlackBerry or TCL that is responsible for Android OS updates? Same for OS10 updates?
    I believe (straight reply???) that BB is still responsible for their original devices. But I could be wrong.
    04-18-17 02:21 PM
    I rather think BB fired so many people that they struggle to finish software of the KEYone and providing updates to the other devices at the same time.
    They are a software company - they only need one monitor, one keyboard and one programmer. No problems!
    04-18-17 02:25 PM

Who have you been asking? According to BlackBerry and TCL, BlackBerry is responsible for all the software on these licenced devices. That includes patches and OS updates as it is BlackBerry's version of secure Android running on all BlackBerry branded devices no matter who designed or built them.
    04-18-17 03:35 PM
    Who have you been asking? According to BlackBerry and TCL, BlackBerry is responsible for all the software on these licenced devices. That includes patches and OS updates as it is BlackBerry's version of secure Android running on all BlackBerry branded devices no matter who designed or built them.
    This 100%.
    04-18-17 03:42 PM
    My guess is that blackberry may abandon support for the Priv to try and bolster sales for the Keyone. priv was a poor seller anyway so they may think that they will have better luck with Keyone.
    04-18-17 04:14 PM
    Finally received the April patch, just had to switch phones.
    xandros9 and FF22 like this.
    04-18-17 04:21 PM
    My guess is that blackberry may abandon support for the Priv to try and bolster sales for the Keyone. priv was a poor seller anyway so they may think that they will have better luck with Keyone.
    BlackBerry has an obligation to support the software on its licencees' devices. The exact nature and duration of said support is unknown.

As far as the forever only 3 BlackBerry Android devices sold by BlackBerry are concerned, I would suspect to see at least one major OS update each. This leaves the Priv in a ambiguous state as far as I'm concerned.
    04-18-17 04:22 PM

Although no one knows the full details of the licensing deal between BlackBerry and it's partners, very generally I believe it is supposed to be BlackBerry software, TCL (or other) hardware. OS is considered software of course, but in this case obviously it is Google's Android OS, 'hardened' by BlackBerry. What that really means however, is becoming increasingly unclear.

With regards to BlackBerry Android, no new security features have been introduced since 2015, and under license to Google, surely BlackBerry 'works with' Google (ie. discloses) any technical modifications to them. And it would appear with at least some of BlackBerry Android's key features, Google has already begun to implement them in their own products, in some cases prior to being fully available and rolled out to all Androids. No wonder Chen said PRIV - a security oriented flagship phone - was not the best choice for their first Android. I wonder why? Can you say Nexus 5/6? Lol.

I will cite two examples from Google's 2016 Android security report.

The so called 'root of trust' BlackBerry often refers to when discussing it's version of Android has, according to Google, been part of the Android OS since version 4.4 (Kitkat). However, it was only fully implemented by Google as mandatory in version 6 for devices with certain AES encryption, although BlackBerry had already implemented it along with full disk encryption with PRIV in 2015.

Similarly, Google identifies 'reducing the attack surface of the kernel' and 'memory protections' as being a key security features implemented in the Android 7 kernel. A 'hardened' kernel was a key security feature two OS versions ago when BlackBerry Android was introduced on the PRIV in 2015.

So while some dismiss BlackBerry Android as merely an Android with a keyboard...it certainly appears that Google may be actively undermining BlackBerry's ability (and other oems) to offer a truly unique product. Of course, the forums here are replete with Android fanboys who are quick to decry the uniqueness of BlackBerry Android security as a farce...their only validation being that all modifications to the OS worthy of implementation will ultimately belong to Google anyway. And as further evidence, they can correctly cite the two items above, pillars of the BlackBerry Android strategy, that are fully implemented on ALL existing Nexus and Pixel devices (but which our BlackBerry devices, most of which are an older OS version...already have, lol).
    Last edited by kputock; 04-18-17 at 05:01 PM.
    04-18-17 04:41 PM
    I don't think it's coming.month is practically over. Maybe there waiting for nougat and than abandon us once n for all lol
    04-18-17 05:05 PM
    BlackBerry has an obligation to support the software on its licencees' devices. The exact nature and duration of said support is unknown.
    But the priv is a blackberry phone not a licensed phone. So they have no legal obligation to support it. That is my point.
    04-18-17 07:00 PM
    But the priv is a blackberry phone not a licensed phone. So they have no legal obligation to support it. That is my point.
    Yes. I addressed the BlackBerry devices in the second paragraph that you didn't quote.
    bibbula likes this.
    04-18-17 07:19 PM
    Thinking about going back to my iPhone 6... it gets more update :/
    04-18-17 08:25 PM
    Thinking about going back to my iPhone 6... it gets more update :/
    Yep. You could be on (iOS) 10.3.2 again or still.
    darrenhung likes this.
    04-18-17 11:47 PM
    I don't think it's coming. month is practically over. Maybe there waiting for nougat and than abandon us once n for all lol
    Don't give up so easily. We still have 11 days left in the month. I'm sure BlackBerry will be releasing it soon. We all want it now, but being negative on the thread is not going to make it come, so rather be positive!

Posted Via BlackBerry PRIV
    04-19-17 12:18 AM
    Interesting timing
    Attached Thumbnails April security patch: any news?-32134.jpg  
    04-19-17 12:37 AM
    Apple supports iOS devices for at least 5 years. Even iPhone 5 and 5s can be upgraded to iOS 10

STV100-1 unlocked from Amazon still ain't getting update
    Last edited by darrenhung; 04-19-17 at 02:06 AM.
    04-19-17 01:11 AM
    Same with Bell. Nothing since February
    The Bell March Update happened.... about (foggy memory) the 23rd or so.... Purely a Bell issue, not a BlackBerry issue, as far as I am concerned.
    04-19-17 02:00 AM
    Where is 10.3.3?

Oh wait...

"'Security by obscurity' means 'commercial failure.'" - Confucius
    04-19-17 05:50 AM
359 ... 56789 ...