Well I think the critical thing is its not actually a hub - its a standalone app which a lot of users might never use.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk
    I would have liked for the hub to be integated into the launcher, like Google now is integrated into the Google launcher. It being an app has advatages like timely updates.

What I am more worried is that BB will have to integrate apps into the Android app themselves. Since the hub is not something that will be on a large majority of Android devices, app devs have no incentive to integrate their app to a service that probably under 1% of people will use. I think that BB will try to integrate as many services into the hub as possible, but only those with public APIs available.
    10-28-15 05:49 AM
    So does Samsung or Nexus for example have any propriety apps that are coveted by users with other brands of hardware?

If so, are these apps available to anyone who wants them?
    Those two are bad examples. TouchWiz is severely disliked by the general community, and there's nothing to rip in the Nexus since all it has is the gapps package.

HTC Sense has certainly appeared in other ROMs, so has Xperia's software. I know because I've used it on my ancient X10i before.
    10-28-15 06:22 AM
    So then if some Samsung apps can't be used on other phones, then it would be reasonable to assume that apps for the Priv by BlackBerry would also not be able to be used on other phones?
    Exactly.

The reason is that some of those apps rely on the Touchwiz framework. If that's not on your phone then it won't run. You can strip the security components (and quite easily in fact) but it doesn't matter because the services the app needs are in the framework and that's not on your device, so while you can rip off, patch and load the app it won't run.

The same is almost-certain to be true in this case.
    10-28-15 06:27 AM
    Wahhh wahhh wahhh

Just wait till someone gets a Priv device and gets us the APKs around November 6th

Then we'll wait for XDA Developers to work their magic and see if the APKs can run on other devices

Not that I really care, I'm getting a Priv. Soon as I find someone who ships to Australia.
    10-28-15 06:33 AM
    The thing about all the BB10 features is that they are not exactly easy to advertise. This like a hub market phrase "all your messages in one place" doesn't do justice to the hub. You need to use BB10 to really appreciate its features.

And even then, you get lots of stories here on CB where people showed their BB10 phone device to other people and they were impressed by it, but that doesn't translate into sales. The reaction is always "wow, cool, didn't know BB10 made cool phones", but not "wow, i really need this in my life". Being impressed by certain features doesn't equate to really needing that feature.
    I have used BB10
    It was my my preferred choice, i only moved as there was no upgrade to the Z10 and i wasnt going spend silly money on a Z30 that didnt offer much difference to the Z10.

The Hub never impressed me that much, i found it annoying a lot actually but various updates improved that.
    It impressed my friends as a sort of one off experience, but tbh the reactions i got betrayed the Hub as a gimmick rather then a must have feature.

The Hub will appeal to a niche set of people and while I miss it sometimes, it hasnt really affected my day to day life as i only need to see new notifications mainly and any old messages are only 2 taps away.
    10-28-15 07:00 AM
    Wahhh wahhh wahhh

Just wait till someone gets a Priv device and gets us the APKs around November 6th

Then we'll wait for XDA Developers to work their magic and see if the APKs can run on other devices

Not that I really care, I'm getting a Priv. Soon as I find someone who ships to Australia.
    Yeah but with each Android iteration less and less people are rooting.
    Rooting will always exist for enthusiasts but there's not much reason for the vast majority of people to root now
    10-28-15 07:01 AM
    Exactly.

The reason is that some of those apps rely on the Touchwiz framework. If that's not on your phone then it won't run. You can strip the security components (and quite easily in fact) but it doesn't matter because the services the app needs are in the framework and that's not on your device, so while you can rip off, patch and load the app it won't run.

The same is almost-certain to be true in this case.
    It's why i'm still using the Stock LG launcher (which is pretty good to be fair) because i find their SMART notice widget incredibly useful and it cant run on anything other launcher.

People can make copies of it, but it's not the real deal and does not work the same way.

Noone has been able to make that available for all devices yet
    10-28-15 07:07 AM
    Rooting will always exist for enthusiasts but there's not much reason for the vast majority of people to root now
    I'ved rooted merely so I could block ads in the host file to stop advertisements in applications.
    darkehawke and Witmen like this.
    10-28-15 07:35 AM
    I'ved rooted merely so I could block ads in the host file to stop advertisements in applications.
    I think AD blocking and Greenify are the 2 main reasons for rooting outside of enthusiasts.
    I've toyed with the idea of rooting myself, but the gains arent worth the inconveniences for me yet.

Of course rooting is ideal once OEM's stop updating phones and you want to stick with a device
    10-28-15 07:43 AM
    I have used BB10
    It was my my preferred choice, i only moved as there was no upgrade to the Z10 and i wasnt going spend silly money on a Z30 that didnt offer much difference to the Z10.

The Hub never impressed me that much, i found it annoying a lot actually but various updates improved that.
    It impressed my friends as a sort of one off experience, but tbh the reactions i got betrayed the Hub as a gimmick rather then a must have feature.

The Hub will appeal to a niche set of people and while I miss it sometimes, it hasnt really affected my day to day life as i only need to see new notifications mainly and any old messages are only 2 taps away.
    I kind of agree about the hub not being as impressive as a standalone app, especially early in BB10. The quick actions of the hub (mark read, file, delete) made it so much faster to get through my messages. Being able to peak into the hub from anywhere in the OS with minimal reach and without interrupting what I'm doing is also a big time saver, but that won't be available on the Android version. I'm not sure there's a way to quantify it, but being able to reply to messages from different apps without actually opening the apps feels like a time saver as well.
    darkehawke likes this.
    10-28-15 07:50 AM
    Wahhh wahhh wahhh

In looking at their current offering it seems as though these are available for all Android devices.

Yeah but with each Android iteration less and less people are rooting.
    If I remember correctly the #1 reason for why users root is to remove bloat from their phones. The #2 reason is to install updates in a more timely fashion. The #3 reason, just because they can/could.
    10-28-15 10:10 AM
    Swipe is slower definitely. The BB10 keyboard is the perfect size, most accurate and fastest. It blows away every single virtual keyboard hands down. Anyone who disagrees is ignorant and haven't used the BB10 virtual keyboards.
    I disagree and I have used the BB10 virtual keyboards extensively. I'm faster on Swype.

Fleksy keyboard app Guinness record announced | BGR

Notice that both Fleksy and the previous contender, WP with WordFlow, are using Swype-style gesture typing. Since these speed tests reduce the score for inaccuracies (like regular typing tests), accuracy matters as well. You may complain that the BB10 VKB wasn't in the mix, but the fact that these speed records are routinely held by keyboards using gesture typing is an indication that a good gesture typing keyboard is objectively faster.
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    10-28-15 11:53 AM
    I think AD blocking and Greenify are the 2 main reasons for rooting outside of enthusiasts.
    I rooted my OnePlus One precisely to use Greenify. And Marshmallow's Doze may make Greenify redundant.
    10-28-15 11:55 AM
    What makes you believe the Calendar app is class leading?
    Just out of curiosity, as i cant see it myself so would like a different perspective.

I dont think it's bad, it's a solid app.
    It handles Outlook meeting invites via email better than any calendar app I know.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-28-15 06:33 PM
    What makes you believe the Calendar app is class leading?
    Just out of curiosity, as i cant see it myself so would like a different perspective.

I dont think it's bad, it's a solid app.
    Also handles other attendees' availability as well as Outlook itself, something no other calendar app I've seen does.

10-28-15 06:34 PM
    In looking at their current offering it seems as though these are available for all Android devices.
    What? No.

10-28-15 06:37 PM
    Yes...I will. But thanks for your very valuable comment.

No you won't.

Posted via CB10
    10-31-15 09:40 AM
142 ... 456