If these BlackBerry apps do end up "out on the street" as .apks, I guess that will be the first actual test of their Security for Android claims.

If these apps can be ripped and installed on a whole range of devices (illegally) within a few weeks, I don't think it'll do their reputation any good.
    On the other hand if they did manage to implement some security checks to avoid this issue it might actually work out well for them.

BlackBerry 10, Passport signed.
    00stryder likes this.
    10-26-15 09:43 PM
    The Hub listing in GPS has removed references to Facebook and Hangouts...hmmmmmmm

Posted via CB10
    10-26-15 09:54 PM
    If these BlackBerry apps do end up "out on the street" as .apks, I guess that will be the first actual test of their Security for Android claims.

If these apps can be ripped and installed on a whole range of devices (illegally) within a few weeks, I don't think it'll do their reputation any good.
    On the other hand if they did manage to implement some security checks to avoid this issue it might actually work out well for them.

BlackBerry 10, Passport signed.
    That can be done with every app including ones from blackberry world. Not much you can do about it.
    10-26-15 09:54 PM
    You guys are hilarious. It's Android. Give it a few weeks at most and others will be running these on their Galaxy devices.

See above. Embrace Android. It's all fair game now.
    Everything you've said here is plain wrong.

Posted via CB10
    10-26-15 09:58 PM
    In another thread Conite gave me a thought.

Could BlackBerry make a Android version that would be charged a monthly fee? i.e. BIS? If there is a way to do it BlackBerry would be able to figure it out.

Just a thought.

Otherwise I don't see these BlackBerry Apps adapting to other phones.

PIN 2COF829A
    10-26-15 11:04 PM
    In another thread Conite gave me a thought.

Could BlackBerry make a Android version that would be charged a monthly fee? i.e. BIS? If there is a way to do it BlackBerry would be able to figure it out.

Just a thought.

Otherwise I don't see these BlackBerry Apps adapting to other phones.

PIN 2COF829A
    I am interested in seeing if they can be monetized at all.

I doubt BlackBerry will keep them exclusive. Not sure that it can.
    10-26-15 11:22 PM
    My Android phone is still running OS 4.x . . . on which only BBM Meetings, BlackBerry Secure Connect Plus, BES12 Client, and Work Space Manager for BES12 are listed under BLACKBERRY LIMITED in Google Play Store.

An error message is displayed for the following URLs in the Chrome browser with an APK Downloader extension.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ckberry.camera
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...berry.keyboard
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ackberry.exfat

Apps on Priv now available in Google Play Store-errormessage.png

The following files can be downloaded.

----------

Directory of C:\Downloads\apk-downloader

com.bbm.apk

com.blackberry.bbm.meetings.apk
    com.blackberry.enterprise.bscp.apk
    com.blackberry.workspace.launcher.apk
    com.blackberry.workspace.manager.apk
    com.rim.mobilefusion.client.apk
    Last edited by yhamaie; 10-27-15 at 01:03 AM.
    10-27-15 12:03 AM
    And I think you'll find that those apps all require a BES subscription.
    10-27-15 12:16 AM
    I am still up in the air with the Priv and hearing that it may not come to Verizon until Feb. 2016 I may sit this one out for awhile.

Anyways, it is cool to see the brought Blend over to the Priv.
    10-27-15 01:10 AM
    That's the important link.
    Please note that BBM is listed under https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...Berry+Limited. ( Limited is immediately followed by a period. ) .
    10-27-15 01:10 AM
    I am still up in the air with the Priv and hearing that it may not come to Verizon until Feb. 2016 I may sit this one out for awhile.

Anyways, it is cool to see the brought Blend over to the Priv.
    No its blend client for android tablet
    10-27-15 01:14 AM
    And I think you'll find that those apps all require a BES subscription.
    A keyboard app will require a BES subscription? OK.....

If that''s the plan, it's a bad one.
    10-27-15 01:59 AM
    Everything you've said here is plain wrong.

Posted via CB10
    No it's not. You can reverse engineer every apk and make them run on any device. They'll find a way. The only way they don't work if they require a subscription.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    dejanh and Donvald like this.
    10-27-15 02:51 AM
    I searched on my note 5, not seeing any of the apps.
    10-27-15 04:03 AM
    A keyboard app will require a BES subscription? OK.....

If that''s the plan, it's a bad one.
    No but it will require the Priv for now.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-15 05:01 AM
    Disappointed to learn that the Notes app syncs to MS Exchange not Evernote. I guess that makes sense though. Couldn't allow it in Play Store if it syncs to Evernote. Therefore I will be using ugly green Evernote app not BlackBerry Notes. I will however be using BlackBerry Tasks, because I use Tasks on Exchange.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-15 05:03 AM
    No it's not. You can reverse engineer every apk and make them run on any device. They'll find a way. The only way they don't work if they require a subscription.

Or require an injected hardware PIN, for instance.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-15 05:03 AM
    Folks, these apps can only be installed on BlackBerry PRIV. Don't sweat! BlackBerry is not stupid to give their apps free to others.

Posted via CB10 app using the mighty Passport.
    I'm sure I'll get these installed on other Android devices once my Priv arrives. I'll simply use the apk files.

Posted from my BlackBerry Passport on CB10
    10-27-15 06:32 AM

Not so simple at all, if the app is designed to stop it.

Yes, you can decompile (to .smali) any APK you can get at, and there is always a way to do that, even if it involves intercepting the download. You can then recompile and sign it (with your own signing key) and sideload it. That will work.

But that doesn't mean it will run. You can patch out dependency checks (e.g. billing-related things) but if some of the calls are functional along with being security-enforcing, rather than simply being security-related, and you lack the framework(s) that are called into on your device, what you get will load but will not run.

This is reasonably simple to accomplish and I will be quite surprised if BlackBerry hasn't done exactly that. Given that they have a unique hardware-enforced PIN on every PRIV, and there is no such structure on other Android devices, BlackBerry has the necessary elements available to them to make such a functional and security component an integral part of the handset that cannot be stripped and successfully replicated on another device.
    Steve Rizla and 00stryder like this.
    10-27-15 06:45 AM
    Even if the apks could ultimately be hacked, only a small subset of people would even want to run a hodge podge of patched apps that need to be updated constantly - assuming they're OK with pirating in the first place.

Every developer has an expectation for some losses due to illegal activities.

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2789
    Last edited by conite; 10-27-15 at 07:37 AM.
    10-27-15 06:56 AM
    I'm sure I'll get these installed on other Android devices once my Priv arrives. I'll simply use the apk files.

Posted from my BlackBerry Passport on CB10
    No you won't.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-15 07:14 AM
    If BlackBerry is smart, they would release a paid suite of BlackBerry Apps asap prior to the XDA community reverse engineering these APK files and spreading them for free (which is inevitable).

I'd gladly pay somewhere around $10 (maybe more) for a suite containing the Launcher, Hub and Keyboard. Think about the possibility with millions of Android devices out there on the return they could realize.

They better act fast before the ship sails and the free files are released.

Posted via CB10
    dejanh likes this.
    10-27-15 08:35 AM
    If BlackBerry is smart, they would release a paid suite of BlackBerry Apps asap prior to the XDA community reverse engineering these APK files and spreading them for free (which is inevitable).

I'd gladly pay somewhere around $10 (maybe more) for a suite containing the Launcher, Hub and Keyboard. Think about the possibility with millions of Android devices out there on the return they could realize.

They better act fast before the ship sails and the free files are released.

Posted via CB10
    I would be surprised if the BlackBerry Experience Suite was anything less than an annual $25 subscription.

10-27-15 08:40 AM
    Even if the apks could ultimately be hacked, only a small subset of people would even want to run a hodge podge of patched apps that need to be updated constantly - assuming they're OK with pirating in the first place.

Every developer has an expectation for some losses due to illegal activities.

Plus I think people are getting carried away - yes I'm sure some people will spend time doing this - but its a keyboard app, a a calendar app and an email app - these are ten-a-penny in androidland and everyone has their favorites - Even if someone's favourite keyboard was the blackberry one, it's unlikely the BBRY choice would be their favourite in each area.

They might be nice apps but I think people are overthinking the impact they will have.
    thepolishguy likes this.
    10-27-15 08:45 AM
    Plus I think people are getting carried away - yes I'm sure some people will spend time doing this - but its a keyboard app, a a calendar app and an email app - these are ten-a-penny in androidland and everyone has their favorites - Even if someone's favourite keyboard was the blackberry one, it's unlikely the BBRY choice would be their favourite in each area.

They might be nice apps but I think people are overthinking the impact they will have.
    That's why I think it will be an all-or-nothing subscription service.

Last edited by conite; 10-27-15 at 09:17 AM.
    10-27-15 08:52 AM
142 12345 ...