I noticed that occasionally, my Priv will show notifications that my apps were updated. I checked and the setting of Play Store is indeed "Allow auto updates". I think this is the default value.

Do you guys allow auto updates?
    08-20-16 09:28 AM
    I noticed that occasionally, my Priv will show notifications that my apps were updated. I checked and the setting of Play Store is indeed "Allow auto updates". I think this is the default value.

No. I would rather review the apps and the descriptions of what is being fixed, changed or added before updating any particular app. Sometimes changes are not always for the best and sometimes there are new bugs. Waiting a bit and see what the new reviews are can help sort out potential problems.
    08-20-16 10:04 AM
    No. I would rather review the apps and the descriptions of what is being fixed, changed or added before updating any particular app. Sometimes changes are not always for the best and sometimes there are new bugs. Waiting a bit and see what the new reviews are can help sort out potential problems.
    If I disable auto-updates, the handset will prompt me for each update with change log, right?
    If I said no to an update, will it prompt me to update again and again?
    08-20-16 10:17 AM
    If I disable auto-updates, the handset will prompt me for each update with change log, right?
    Yes, that's how it will be. I don't have auto updates enabled for the same reasons mentioned above. Once in a while you can avoid that you're trapped with a buggy update.
    I always read the changelogs first , then the newest reviews posted. Especially if it's some kind of major update.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    08-20-16 10:31 AM
    You can turn off the notifications, because with Android stuff is always updating and sometimes wanting new App Permissions, so it's better to review first. Just check in once a month to see what needs to be updated.
    08-20-16 10:50 AM
    I get App Update notifications almost everyday saying something like: "5 new updates". The list grows longer and longer and you have to scroll through to find the actual NEW updates amongst the entire list of stuff still wating to update. For instance I still have in the list about 2 dozen Google updates that I have passed on. The list is alphabetical so I scroll to find the newest that I don't recognize as something that was already in the list.

As mentioned, you can turn off the Notices. I leave them on and check when I'm in the mood. Some I upgrade immediately while others I leave pending. They remain in the list. You can also open the Google Playstore and select my apps and can see the same info if you don't follow the notify prompt.
    08-20-16 01:49 PM
    I have auto updates enabled and haven't had an issue.

I think it just comes down to personal preference.

BlackBerry PRIV STV100-1 6.0.1
    Classic SQC100-1/10.3.2.2876
    misterabrasive and andy957 like this.
    08-20-16 02:20 PM
    Originally my thoughts were same as F2, I want control of what gets updated and when.
    But I read these threads a lot, and whenever there were issues with apps, the first question asked by 'those who know' was always, "are you running the latest version?"
    So I turned auto ON, set for wifi only, been running that way most, if not all of this year. No problems at all.
    It should be noted that I have less than 50 apps total, and only one social media app - Face Book, for which I have almost setting disabled or OFF.

Try it both ways, you can change your mind whenever, or as often as you want.
    08-21-16 09:39 AM
    You can turn off the notifications, because with Android stuff is always updating and sometimes wanting new App Permissions, so it's better to review first. Just check in once a month to see what needs to be updated.
    Just a note... If an app update requires new app permissions, then it won't auto-update even if you have it turned on. It will require you to verify the app update manually.
    FF22 likes this.
    08-21-16 09:54 AM

Myself personally, I have the global Auto-Update via Wifi Only option turned on. But some apps that I find have a propensity to break after updates (usually very new apps or beta apps), I'll use the granular option to turn off the Auto-Update for individual apps.

Mainly because in my experience, apps breaking after an update aren't as common as they once were, and it's uncommon enough that I don't find it a hassle to turn off an individual app's auto update setting.
    08-21-16 10:02 AM
    I'll use the granular option to turn off the Auto-Update for individual apps.
    Call me dumb, but can't find where / how to do that.
    FF22 likes this.
    08-21-16 10:14 AM
    Call me dumb, but can't find where / how to do that.
    When viewing the app in the Play Store, tap the icon menu (3-dot) at the top right corner, and you'll see an Auto-Update checkbox pop-up.

Apps Auto-Update-granularautoupdateplaystore.jpg
    Wezard likes this.
    08-21-16 10:26 AM
    Play Store,
    Thank You! Ida never thunk to look there.
    08-21-16 10:37 AM
    I disabled auto-updates this way:
    Play Store ->. Settings (top left corner). -> Auto-update apps
    08-21-16 05:21 PM
    Play Store ->. Settings (top left corner). -> Auto-update apps
    That will turn off auto for ALL apps
    DenverRalphy was splaining how to mix and match, some auto, some not.
    FF22 likes this.
    08-21-16 06:51 PM