Priv has generally done fine on battery life for the time I've had it (ever since it came out on VZW). Have had the MM update since VZW releated it.

I've never monitored battery usage since it's generally never been a problem (when I sit at the desk talking on the phone, I've usually had it on BT and on a Tylt wireles charger, which of course helps).

I've always charged it once overnight in a USB cable, and that's been enough. I'd never run out.

But in the past couple of days that has not been the case. I'm running very low very quickly and I'm not sure why.

What's a good app to see what's been draining it through the day or at the end of the day? Optionally, well, something to help extended battery life would be cool, but nothing that wants to take too much control over my usage patterns (I don't play with Facebook; I'm a business user).

I tried doing searches in the forum on what's recommended but there's not a lot of discussion on the subject for some reason (maybe because I limited it to Priv?), and most of it is a bit outdated.

(Paid is fine and even preferred -- no ads and maybe better technology.)

Thanks!
    03-10-17 07:10 PM
    You shouldn't need to download an app for this.
    Try pulling down from the top of the screen twice (or once with two fingers) and then tapping the battery icon.
    This should give you a list of Apps sorted by battery use since last charge.
    In addition there is a a sort of battery graph at the top. Tap on this and you'll get lines with additional details like when Wi-Fi was on, screen on, etc. There is one for "Awake". Make sure the Awake line is only solid when the screen is on.
    FF22 likes this.
    03-10-17 07:34 PM
    You shouldn't need to download an app for this.
    Try pulling down from the top of the screen twice (or once with two fingers) and then tapping the battery icon.
    This should give you a list of Apps sorted by battery use since last charge.
    In addition there is a a sort of battery graph at the top. Tap on this and you'll get lines with additional details like when Wi-Fi was on, screen on, etc. There is one for "Awake". Make sure the Awake line is only solid when the screen is on.
    I'm aware and did look there. Thanks. I was hoping there's a more in-depth app as well. Though looking where you said did reveal that Mediaserver was the primary user recently.

In fact, I have separately started a thread strictly asking what to do about Mediaserver draining the battery.

Thanks!
    03-10-17 07:39 PM
    I'm aware and did look there. Thanks. I was hoping there's a more in-depth app as well. Though looking where you said did reveal that Mediaserver was the primary user recently.

In fact, I have separately started a thread strictly asking what to do about Mediaserver draining the battery.

Thanks!
    I think there are a couple of Apps that attempt it. I haven't found any to be particularly useful though.
    All the good battery monitoring Apps require root.

Can you confirm if the stock battery monitoring graph is showing the phone sleeping properly or not?
    03-10-17 07:45 PM
    The above

Since a charge resets the battery stats you'll have to forgo your Tylt stand for a while, I recommend going for the better part of a day.
    In addition you can go into Data Usage, in the settings and see if anything there is wonky.
    There are battery monitor apps, but I've never needed one. The built in stuff has been enough for me.
    03-10-17 07:48 PM
    Yeah most do seem to require root to see which wakelocks and things are causing the issue. Can you post a picture showing your battery usage or even list what the percentages are? What's your screen on time?

Posted via CB10
    03-10-17 07:48 PM
    I use GSam Battery Monitor after getting advice from another subscriber here, it's helpful for long-term use patterns. OS Monitor will show current processes too.
    03-10-17 07:49 PM
    The above

Since a charge resets the battery stats you'll have to forgo your Tylt stand for a while, I recommend going for the better part of a day.
    In addition you can go into Data Usage, in the settings and see if anything there is wonky.
    There are battery monitor apps, but I've never needed one. The built in stuff has been enough for me.
    I thought it only resets after a full 100% charge, which the Tylt is not achieving during my daily usage.
    03-10-17 07:52 PM
    Yeah most do seem to require root to see which wakelocks and things are causing the issue. Can you post a picture showing your battery usage or even list what the percentages are? What's your screen on time?

Posted via CB10
    App for seeing why battery is draining faster, maybe also extend life-screenshot_20170310-204640.jpg
    03-10-17 07:53 PM
    Anything else I should post screenshots of using the stock battery monitor? Just let me know.

Thanks!
    03-10-17 07:54 PM
    I thought it only resets after a full 100% charge, which the Tylt is not achieving during my daily usage.
    I believe you are correct.
    03-10-17 07:54 PM
    Anything else I should post screenshots of using the stock battery monitor? Just let me know.

Thanks!
    If you could get one after tapping the graph that would be useful.
    03-10-17 07:55 PM
    If you could get one after tapping the graph that would be useful.
    App for seeing why battery is draining faster, maybe also extend life-screenshot_20170310-205722.jpg

Note that I did do a restart before this (and before the prior one, too).
    03-10-17 07:59 PM
    Not really sure, it doesn't have to go to 100% to reset, of that I am sure.

Note that I did do a restart before this (and before the prior one, too).
    Restart doesn't reset the battery stats.
    03-10-17 08:30 PM
    Not really sure, it doesn't have to go to 100% to reset, of that I am sure.
    Well, look at the heading in the first image above. It says "Use since last full charge." That seems pretty clear.
    03-10-17 08:36 PM
    Definitely check your data usage screen, see if any apps are using more than they should.
    I've seen GSam battery monitor mentioned here before, with basically positive comments, can't hurt to try it.
    03-10-17 08:37 PM
    Well, look at the heading in the first image above. It says "Use since last full charge." That seems pretty clear.
    It is, but Iv'e pulled mine off charger in the mid 90%'s and it had reset.
    I would think full charge meant 100%, but it doesn't.
    03-10-17 08:39 PM
    It is, but Iv'e pulled mine off charger in the mid 90%'s and it had reset.
    I would think full charge meant 100%, but it doesn't.
    Good to know.
    03-10-17 10:29 PM
    Definitely check your data usage screen, see if any apps are using more than they should.
    I've seen GSam battery monitor mentioned here before, with basically positive comments, can't hurt to try it.
    Nothing noteworthy there that I can see. The top app usage shown was more than a few days ago when the battery issue started happening (it may have existed then, too, though, and I didn't notice -- since I was using OTG and USB Audio Player Pro back then, too):

App for seeing why battery is draining faster, maybe also extend life-screenshot_20170310-233553.jpg

(A lot of what I've done with Tidal has been offline content, so it wouldn't show up in data usage per se.)
    03-10-17 10:39 PM
    I hate to have to ask this but what's the chances that the Tylt wireless charger caused unusually excessive heat (I use it daily and the device gets hot, but maybe hotter lately -- maybe from, I don't know, a reset it may have needed by unplugging it from the AC power briefly and plugging it back in, which has happened twice before in the many months I've had it but that was just when it wasn't charging the phone at all until I did the AC reset).

And what's the chance that that excessive heat killed the battery somehow?

The reason I ask is that -- as much as I don't want to even go there -- it seems to me that on the USB charging cable it's been charging slower than it always has in the past (though it's very possible that it's just my imagination).
    03-10-17 11:02 PM
    I hate to have to ask this but what's the chances that the Tylt wireless charger caused unusually excessive heat (I use it daily and the device gets hot, but maybe hotter lately -- maybe from, I don't know, a reset it may have needed by unplugging it from the AC power briefly and plugging it back in, which has happened twice before in the many months I've had it but that was just when it wasn't charging the phone at all until I did the AC reset).

And what's the chance that that excessive heat killed the battery somehow?

The reason I ask is that -- as much as I don't want to even go there -- it seems to me that on the USB charging cable it's been charging slower than it always has in the past (though it's very possible that it's just my imagination).
    Luckily, I think I can safely drop any concerns about the battery being damaged. It seemed slow charging at first, then as it was more charged it seemed to be charging at its old familiar hefty pace until reaching 100%.
    03-11-17 12:51 AM
    I'm about out of ideas, but, if the battery is hot, charging will slow down, or even pause. There is at least one temp sensor that is tied into the charging circuit to prevent overheating during charging.
    03-11-17 06:51 AM
    Luckily, I think I can safely drop any concerns about the battery being damaged. It seemed slow charging at first, then as it was more charged it seemed to be charging at its old familiar hefty pace until reaching 100%.
    I noticed sub-par charging using my Tylt charger in the last few months I had my Priv too, and would often wake up to a battery in the 50-60% range. After a while I stopped using wireless charging and went back to usb.

But then I got the DTEK60 so the point is moot now (for me).
    03-11-17 08:59 AM
    I noticed sub-par charging using my Tylt charger in the last few months I had my Priv too, and would often wake up to a battery in the 50-60% range. After a while I stopped using wireless charging and went back to usb.

But then I got the DTEK60 so the point is moot now (for me).
    My experience was that the Tylt didn't seem to get me near 100% with overnight charges. (Perhaps due to heat?) What I do it use a USB cable for overnight charging, which works fine and gets me to 100% pretty quickly, and during the day while sitting at my desk working I have it on the Tylt -- which allows me to use a BT headset and have the conveniences of seeing the display easily (I have the wedge design of the Tylt) and even easily tap on the screen to do things and even manage calling -- and of course reduces the rate of drain.
    03-11-17 01:36 PM
    One thing I find helpful is turning off adaptive brightness... I installed "Velis Auto Brightness" and set up a DAY & a NITE profile cutting down the highest usage offender... next is Chrome... I wonder if FF or Opera absorb less juice?
    FF22 likes this.
    03-11-17 02:34 PM
33 12