I've bought 2 wireless chargers but gave up on both, aligning and charging takes forever and the Priv gets hot as hell.

Posted via BlackBerry Priv
    03-11-16 11:24 AM
    I've bought 2 wireless chargers but gave up on both, aligning and charging takes forever and the Priv gets hot as hell.

I now used both types of Qi pads that I purchased for my Z30 and both work reasonably well and reasonably fast - I was surprised. Neither gets hot. One is by Tylt and it is their easel charger. No alignment necessary - just drop it on the ledge, centered (yes, that alignment). The other is a flat, rectangular by Samsung. That one was finicky in placement.

Now, when I first got the Z30, I purchased a round, puck like Qi Charger with a Verizon branding. It got incredibly hot. Since the tylt did not, I returned the Verizon one.
    03-11-16 03:04 PM
    5 month and still no replacement spare part STV100-1 is found.

This one has stuff but not the backcover:

stv100 - SSTparts.com | cell phone spare parts - https://www.sstparts.com/search.php?tag=stv100

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    03-25-16 12:13 AM
    I'm not sure if it's even worth it. The wireless charging is too slow. I think only Samsung has a decent wireless charging.

03-25-16 12:43 AM
    This thread is NOT about if it's worth/good... - some, like me, had it since 2009 and know why they want it and that it's not as fast as cable driven charging.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    FF22 likes this.
    03-25-16 03:58 AM
    I now used both types of Qi pads that I purchased for my Z30 and both work reasonably well and reasonably fast - I was surprised. Neither gets hot. One is by Tylt and it is their easel charger. No alignment necessary - just drop it on the ledge, centered (yes, that alignment). The other is a flat, rectangular by Samsung. That one was finicky in placement.

Now, when I first got the Z30, I purchased a round, puck like Qi Charger with a Verizon branding. It got incredibly hot. Since the tylt did not, I returned the Verizon one.
    I also have the Tylt. When I used either my ATT or VZ PRIV, there was chirping coming from the speaker. I've also tried a few other brands and get higher/lower chirps. Have you experienced this?
    03-25-16 07:47 AM
    I also have the Tylt. When I used either my ATT or VZ PRIV, there was chirping coming from the speaker. I've also tried a few other brands and get higher/lower chirps. Have you experienced this?
    Yes, I think the Priv "lets you know" it is charging. I don't think I've heard differences in pitch but then again, I have not listened for it. I have not looked to see if that can be turned off/on?
    03-25-16 08:57 AM
    Yes, I think the Priv "lets you know" it is charging. I don't think I've heard differences in pitch but then again, I have not listened for it. I have not looked to see if that can be turned off/on?
    I'm not describing the sound correctly, it's like the noise you get when you have an amplified speaker picking up electrical interference. At work it doesn't bother me, but at home, it sits next to my head when I'm sleeping so it drives me crazy.
    03-25-16 09:22 AM
    I've been having issues with charging the Priv wirelessly on the Qi Infinity collapsible stand. Funny thing is that I changed cables from a long on to a short one and for two days it charged correctly but afterward, it always charges fully then disconnects and never reconnects, discharging through the night. I tried the Verizon stand with the same problem. I've ordered the TYLT VU plus the Priv docking stand as a last resort.

For those that don't understand the power of wireless charging, they've never seen what a good integration like the WebOS Pre phones could do. Place the phone on the charger while on a phone call and it automatically switches to speakerphone, pick it up and it goes back to the handset speaker. In nighttime mode, it would change the ringer to something distinct and pleasant and silence all other notification sounds. Maybe in a future version of Android they'll get it right.
    gizmo21 and ToniCipriani like this.
    03-25-16 10:21 AM
    I'm not describing the sound correctly, it's like the noise you get when you have an amplified speaker picking up electrical interference. At work it doesn't bother me, but at home, it sits next to my head when I'm sleeping so it drives me crazy.
    Oh, so it is a continuous sound/noise while on the easel or even intermittent next to ear would be irritating? Since it is on my desk and not near my head, I may have missed it. I just threw it on and stuck my ear next to it. Did not hear anything but it might be my hearing.
    03-25-16 11:04 AM
    Oh, so it is a continuous sound/noise while on the easel or even intermittent next to ear would be irritating? Since it is on my desk and not near my head, I may have missed it. I just threw it on and stuck my ear next to it. Did not hear anything but it might be my hearing.
    it's one of those things that once you hear it...you always hear it.
    FF22 likes this.
    03-25-16 12:31 PM
    Nothing like reviving a dead file.... Has anyone tried to put an AT&T back on a non wireless charging Priv? Etrade has both backs available, and I cannot see any difference in the connections. Thanks for your input.
    03-17-17 04:03 PM
    Hello to all,

I did exactly this and no wireless charging so far.
    The point is not the backcover - in my case the mainboard of the SVT100-4 (not wireless) does not have the springs soldered on the connectors corresponding to the wireless charging pads. So there is no contact between the circurits and no charging.

I guess with a little modding it could work.
    FF22 likes this.
    04-21-17 06:24 AM
    I have put an AT&T back cover (with wireless charging coil) on my STV100-4, and have also identified and bought the missing contact springs and an inexpensive Qi-like charging pad.

I haven't yet bothered to once again remove the back cover and solder the tiny springs in place, but when I do, I will give an update.

If successful, I will post a parts list with what and where to buy. My hope is that everything else is in place in both the hardware and the software, and it will just work. It is, however, possible that other key elements were omitted in either the hardware or software or both.
    06-11-18 03:57 PM
    I tried with some cheap coil off alibaba and didn't have any luck. But I can't say I spent too much effort on it.
    06-12-18 12:18 PM
    Hello,

I want to mod my European (non-wireless charging) Priv to use with one of my dusty old Palm Pre coils and Touchstone wireless chargers. Does anyone have polarity (+/- voltage) measured or specced on the Pre mainboard, or would anyone with the American wireless charging one be so kind as to open theirs, put the back on the charging mat, and measure the output on the cables going to the mainboard contacts?

I did a mod like that previously for both my Galaxy S2 and later Galaxy Note 3. In the first case I soldered on to microUSB socket connectors, and GN3 had the contacts for wireless backs, and I was able to find out the polarity of the connectors for it.

Much appreciate and thanks in advance; I know I ask for much!
    06-14-18 06:14 AM
41 12