One month ago I bought a BBC Priv. Now I regret it. The back of The phone make a weird sound when I touch it ( click ) and same both down corners of The display when is slide off. The side bar slider is bugged ( i just slide it and only that arrow is sliding and no menu appear ). The battery lifetime is awfull. For ex. Now i have 47 % for 1:37 mins of use?!?!?!? I use this phone for browsing browsing, emails, calls and sometimes for social media. I charced this phone 2 Times yesterday and i used it 3 hours. And i can cook an egg on it...that hot it is. All my updates are on point. I have only o 2 pros: phsycal keyboard and in a way The security. This phone does bot help ME at all to be productive as it should do. Brand New one, from store. No contract. And this happens. So, dear priv users, do you know any solution or should i buy a real phone?
    07-15-17 06:23 AM
    What version of the OS are you on? a minute and a half of use shouldn't drain the battery 60+%. What launcher are you using?

Have you tried these things to help your battery life?

turning animations off

turning off adaptive brightness

use Swipe or the mobile Facebook app - native Facebook hogs battery

turn off autoupdate until you're on WiFi and use WiFi as little as possible
    s40638 likes this.
    07-15-17 07:05 AM
    What version of the OS are you on? a minute and a half of use shouldn't drain the battery 60+%. What launcher are you using?

Have you tried these things to help your battery life?

turning animations off

turning off adaptive brightness

use Swipe or the mobile Facebook app - native Facebook hogs battery

turn off autoupdate until you're on WiFi and use WiFi as little as possible
    Android version 6.0.1, i use default BBC launcher, i never used adaptive brightness. Facebook used only 2 % of my battery. When i started this replay i hâd 65. Now im 63 în only 2 mins. And is one h and a half, not 1 min. And now is that on a phone that suposed to be for productivity and not to use wifi? Why have i bought this phone? To jeep it on airplane mode? I just guess The BBC is not as productive as they demand to be. Very disappointed. PS: now is 61 % and i have 0 background apps. And is hurting my fingers: hot as a bbq.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    07-15-17 07:49 AM
    Buy a real phone ...
    Or search this forum for a possible solution.
    There must be hundreds of threads about battery life and heating by now ;-)
    07-15-17 08:03 AM
    if you haven't already tried this, I would try a reload of the OS. There are threads on the forums on how to do it.

You also might want to consider looking at apps that could be causing the phone to race.

Good luck!
    07-15-17 08:04 AM
    Android version 6.0.1, i use default BBC launcher, i never used adaptive brightness. Facebook used only 2 % of my battery. When i started this replay i hâd 65. Now im 63 în only 2 mins. And is one h and a half, not 1 min. And now is that on a phone that suposed to be for productivity and not to use wifi? Why have i bought this phone? To jeep it on airplane mode? I just guess The BBC is not as productive as they demand to be. Very disappointed. PS: now is 61 % and i have 0 background apps. And is hurting my fingers: hot as a bbq.
    Mine has days that it does that but other days it is fine. What I have discovered is that having app updates waiting my instruction to update will make it hot and drain the battery. A single bad app can do that to. The display is the largest draw on the battery so turn down brightness. I enabled the feature that turns the display off when it is face down.
    07-15-17 08:04 AM
    Open the Battery App (in Main Settings) or you can create a desktop shortcut. What is using the battery?

Also, sometimes it is just a bad app or process so rebooting can help. Or as suggested reloading the OS.

From BB blog: How to reset PRIV by BlackBerry | Inside BlackBerry Help Blog

Three restart/reboot methods

The first method, which should be used 99.9% of the time when you want to reboot your device, is using the Reboot option that appears after pressing the Power key.

Press and hold the Power key for 3 seconds
    Select Reboot from the menu that is presented

The second reset method should be used if pressing the Power key does not produce the menu with Power Off and Restart. For example, if an app or game you are using won’t close, use this option to restart your device.

Press and hold the Power key for 12 seconds

Third method: Should your device fail to respond, the final reset method is to press and hold the Power key for 32 seconds which is equivalent to removing the battery. This should result in your device booting up successfully.

If it fails to start, however, verify you are not pressing any other keys such as Volume Up, Mute, or Volume Down while performing any of the reset methods listed above. If you use a case for your device you may want to remove it as it might be pressing a button inadvertently.

And just for an extra measure, if needed:

Safe Mode:

The next step is placing your device into safe mode.

When used, Safe Mode will disable any third party apps or games you have installed. As a result of this, should your device not exhibit the issue while in Safe Mode it’s safe to assume the issue is specific to an app or game you have installed. Safe Mode may also remove apps and/or widgets from your various home screens when you go back to Normal.

Press and hold the power key
    Tap and hold Power off (that is Press/Hold the Power Off prompt line) when it appears
    When prompted, tap OK to reboot to Safe Mode

To get out of Safe Mode, press and hold the power key followed by tapping Reboot.

After testing, should your device not exhibit any issues, the next step is to remove recently installed applications one by one until the issue is resolved.

If that fails you might investigate reloading the OS using an Autoloader:

https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...aders-1065667/
    07-15-17 10:54 AM
    "Should I buy a real phone" !? What a farce. This guy is just looking for attention. Any tips and methods of correcting the issue are above him. "Why have I bought this phone?" Clearly to line the pockets of Chen's pants. Obviously!
    SlcCorrado likes this.
    07-15-17 11:27 AM
    ^^This is a great first step. Reboot your device.

Also a bad SD card has been know to cause problems. Or an SD card that is not rated at least a 10 can cause issues like you describe.
    s40638 likes this.
    07-15-17 11:27 AM
    I had been dealing with heating and bad battery over the past week. I was staying in an area with poor signal, and I always experienced a little warming and poorer battery life in those instances.

Once I got to my home, it continued, albeit not as bad. I tracked it down to Firefox. Now, it isn't really the app at issue necessarily, but how I was using it. I was leaving it open to poloniex.com to track markets. It was eating a lot of battery in the process. I tracked it down by using Blackberry Virtual Expert. As soon as I swiped Firefox out of the recents screen, thereby stopping its activity on Poloniex, the battery drain stopped.

Blackberry Virtual Expert is a great tool to help track down battery drain. You can see how much the phone is drawing from the battery, and see how it changes as you start or stop apps.
    FF22 and Johnpetter like this.
    07-16-17 11:55 AM
    try downgrading resolution to full hd, had nice results for me!
    07-17-17 09:31 AM
    try downgrading resolution to full hd, had nice results for me!
    Not necessary and a waste of the resources the phone possess. It also wreaks havoc with some apps. Completely useless and a waste of effort.
    07-17-17 11:09 AM
    Not necessary and a waste of the resources the phone possess. It also wreaks havoc with some apps. Completely useless and a waste of effort.
    You seem to be clueless. I didnt find any app that was broken by it, and it improved heat, performances and battery life at literally no cost, the difference between fHD and qHD on a screen of that size is just unoticable.

Did you even try?
    07-17-17 11:13 AM
    You seem to be clueless. I didnt find any app that was broken by it, and it improved performances and battery life at literally no cost, the difference between fHD and qHD on a screen of that size is just unoticable.

Did you even try?
    This was discussed in another thread. Some reported issues with some apps. Many here have no issues with heating using the full resolution, me included. Heating is generally caused by a bad app, or by using the phone in a poor signal area. Though reducing the resolution may help slightly, it is better to find the app that is causing the issue, rather than lowering the resolution with will have limited effect.
    07-17-17 11:17 AM
    This was discussed in another thread. Some reported issues with some apps. Many here have no issues with heating using the full resolution, me included. Heating is generally caused by a bad app, or by using the phone in a poor signal area. Though reducing the resolution may help slightly, it is better to find the app that is causing the issue, rather than lowering the resolution with will have limited effect.
    Yeah, i know and the only troubles which were reported were the widget miniatures ( personnally i didnt have any trouble with that but... well idk why), cropping images in whatsapp and something about bbm. I dont use bbm, i uninstalled it, so i dont know about that. But thats about it.
    I had some heat problems too, tried everything around, didnt find anything making it really better even by tweaking on apps and options until i found about that resolution downgrade post.
    I personally had a huge improvement on heat whith this trick, and thats what this thread is about, so im just giving my 2 cents about what worked in my experience...
    PHughes and skinnymike1 like this.
    07-17-17 11:21 AM
    Yeah, i know and the only apps that were reported having trouble were the widget miniature ( personnally i havent but... well idk why), and bbm. I dont use bbm, i uninstalled it, so i dont know about that. But thats about it.
    I had some heat problems too, tried everything around, didnt find anything making it really better even by tweaking on apps and options until i found about that resolution downgrade post.
    I personally had a huge improvement on heat whith this trick, and thats what this thread is about, so im just giving my 2 cents about what worked in my experience...
    I use Blackberry Virtual Expert to monitor battery drain when I have an issue. It allows me to open apps and see what effect they have on the battery in close to real time. I had an issue recently and found it was due to a site I had open in Firefox. Once I closed Firefox, the drain and heating stopped. I was back to getting 12+ hours out of my phone. Yesterday I got over 4 hours of screen time out of the phone, and a little over 12 hours.

I had been using the website a lot over the past two week, and would leave it open, so I could access it quickly in recents. I had to charge the phone multiple times each day, and had a lot of heating, invoking the cooling down warning.

Sometimes it is strange what will cause it. I didn't mean to jump on you unfairly. Sorry.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    07-17-17 11:29 AM
    Tbh, people reported having battery life doubled with that trick. You should give it a try.

Before I did the resolution downgrade, i would loose literally 1% battery per 2 minute if using power consuming apps like the camera or games. (while having done every tweak that is recommended around... except the factory reset because i have the priv since 5 days so i cant see how a factory reset would help here)

Now its more around 1% battery every 5 minutes playing games and the heat is not bothering me anymore.
    07-17-17 11:36 AM
    Tbh, people reported having battery life doubled with that trick. You should give it a try.

Before I did the resolution downgrade, i would loose literally 1% battery per 2 minute if using power consuming apps like the camera or games. (while having done every tweak that is recommended around... except the factory reset because i have the priv since 5 days so i cant see how a factory reset would help here)

Now its more around 1% battery every 5 minutes playing games and the heat is not bothering me anymore.
    I have tried it, and it did nothing for me, and I use my Priv for the display of images a lot since I'm a photographer. The downgrade did nothing for me since I generally have no issues with battery drain or heating, unless I have an errant app. I would prefer to fix the actual issue, such as the app causing the drain, than lower my resolution. Glad it works for you. For me, I regularly get all day out of my phone, charging only at night. That works for me. In areas of bad signal, I get worse, but lowering the resolution did nothing for me in that instance.

Finding the root cause of battery drain is generally preferable, whether you lower your resolution or not. Lowering the resolution is a bandaid approach to the problem if you have an app that is causing the issue. Now if you fix the app, and lower your resolution, and are okay with the lower resolution, that is great.
    07-17-17 11:42 AM
    I have tried it, and it did nothing for me, and I use my Priv for the display of images a lot since I'm a photographer. The downgrade did nothing for me since I generally have no issues with battery drain or heating, unless I have an errant app. I would prefer to fix the actual issue, such as the app causing the drain, than lower my resolution. Glad it works for you. For me, I regularly get all day out of my phone, charging only at night. That works for me. In areas of bad signal, I get worse, but lowering the resolution did nothing for me in that instance.

Finding the root cause of battery drain is generally preferable, whether you lower your resolution or not. Lowering the resolution is a bandaid approach to the problem if you have an app that is causing the issue. Now if you fix the app, and lower your resolution, and are okay with the lower resolution, that is great.
    Well im assuming there are defective units then... I was not using any particularly heavy power consuming apps. Just whatsapp/hub/browsing the net.
    The thing that i have noticed tho, is that the phone would get particularly hot while downloading updates, and that the battery would take big hits when the phone was hot. Seeing how much people are around having heat/battery trouble, I highly doubt that this is caused by random bad apps (got another phone having roughly the same setup and it doesnt even come close to the heat i was experiencing on the priv), but more by badly chosen hardware.

From what i could read the snapdragon 808 is well known for heating and for drying batteries quick af, even on other phones. This is were the resolution downgrade makes sense : less load on the processor, less heat, less battery drain by the said processor.

Im still surprised to see that that some people are claiming that they "dont have any heat or battery problems". Not sure if they really dont, or if its just because they have lower expectations....

So I guess that either, some of the priv owners are luckier than others in term of hardware, or we just dont have the same definition of "hot" and "good battery life" ^^.
    07-17-17 11:55 AM
    Well im assuming there are defective units then... I was not using any particularly heavy power consuming apps. Just whatsapp/hub/browsing the net.
    The thing that i have noticed tho, is that the phone would get particularly hot while downloading updates, and that the battery would take big hits when the phone was hot. Seeing how much people are around having heat/battery trouble, I highly doubt that this is caused by random bad apps (got another phone having roughly the same setup and it doesnt even come close to the heat i was experiencing on the priv), but more by badly chosen hardware.

From what i could read the snapdragon 808 is well known heating and for drying batteries quick af, even on other phones. This is were the resolution downgrade makes sense : less load on the processor, less heat, less battery drain by the said processor.

Im still surprised to see that that some people are claiming that they "dont have any heat or battery problems". Not sure if they really dont, or if its just because they have lower expectations....
    Yes, the Snapdragon 808 is known for its heat issues, but that doesn't mean it will always be overheating. As I said, heavy browser use is what caused my last heating issue, and correlating battery drain. Simply leaving the browser on a particular site, one that constantly updates cryptocurrency markets, had my phone overheating occasionally, while doing other things as well, and drained the battery excessively.

Yes, day to day, I have no heating issues. I have none now, now that I discovered what was causing the latest episode.

My wife's Samsung gets hot too. All phones will, though some are more prone to it than others.

I will once again state, it is better to find the root cause, usually an app, or excessive browser activity that will cause it. Simply closing out the site that was causing my issue in Firefox dropped my battery drain substantially. Leaving it on that page, and Firefox in the recents list, whilst doing other work, caused the phone to heat, and caused excessive battery drain.

Finding the root cause is always possible, and generally preferable to me. If you do that, you can fully utilize the phone's capabilities, including full resolution. Now if you are happy with the lower resolution, and many may be, finding the root cause of the battery drain or phone heating, as well, will reap you even more battery life.

Anyway, that is all I am going to say about this. Excessive heating and battery drain is caused by something the phone is doing, a bad app, or a game. The phone is designed to operate with the native resolution. To lower the resolution, though it may have the effect you are looking for, less heat, and lower battery consumption, is simply a bandaid approach to the issue. Find the cause.
    07-17-17 12:07 PM
    Yes, the Snapdragon 808 is known for its heat issues, but that doesn't mean it will always be overheating. As I said, heavy browser use is what caused my last heating issue, and correlating battery drain. Simply leaving the browser on a particular site, one that constantly updates cryptocurrency markets, had my phone overheating occasionally, while doing other things as well, and drained the battery excessively.

Yes, day to day, I have no heating issues. I have none now, now that I discovered what was causing the latest episode.

My wife's Samsung gets hot too. All phones will, though some are more prone to it than others.

I will once again state, it is better to find the root cause, usually an app, or excessive browser activity that will cause it. Simply closing out the site that was causing my issue in Firefox dropped my battery drain substantially. Leaving it on that page, and Firefox in the recents list, whilst doing other work, caused the phone to heat, and caused excessive battery drain.

Finding the root cause is always possible, and generally preferable to me. If you do that, you can fully utilize the phone's capabilities, including full resolution. Now if you are happy with the lower resolution, and many may be, finding the root cause of the battery drain or phone heating, as well, will reap you even more battery life.

Anyway, that is all I am going to say about this. Excessive heating and battery drain is caused by something the phone is doing, a bad app, or a game. The phone is designed to operate with the native resolution. To lower the resolution, though it may have the effect you are looking for, less heat, and lower battery consumption, is simply a bandaid approach to the issue. Find the cause.
    My priv was getting very hot while just applying updates on the first boot of the phone.
    How can this be related to an app?

And it was getting warm each time i rebooted it, while having barely no apps installed, how can this be related to an app?

Im sorry but i have to disagree with you on this.
    Last edited by Fraktalobo; 07-17-17 at 12:23 PM.
    07-17-17 12:11 PM
    My priv was getting very hot while just applying updates on the first boot of the phone.
    How can this be related to an app?

And it was getting warm each time i rebooted it, while having barely no apps installed, how can this be related to an app?

Im sorry but i have to disagree with you on this.
    "Barely no apps." Sorry, it only takes one. Mine also gets a little warm right after a reboot, but not enough to trigger the cooling down notification, nor does it remain warm. I also got the issue in areas of poor signal, or one were I am roaming and it is switching between carriers a lot. This happens to me often while traveling in other countries.

You are free to disagree, but the phone was designed to operate at full resolution. If lowering the resolution works for you, great. For others though, finding the actual cause is more beneficial, even if they choose to lower the resolution.
    07-17-17 12:43 PM
    Well so im assuming that we dont have the same definition of hot... I never had the "too hot notification", and i still found the priv very hot.

I cant imagine what heat is needed to get that notification :/.

My point is that the actual cause of the phone heat is not a random app, the phone gets hot by design, (and I am saying that because it gets very hot while making the first updates, and because of all the threads around here).

I have a question tho. Did you really see a big difference between fHD and qHD? Because, if there is one I am not even sure I see it. So please enlighten me .
    07-17-17 12:53 PM
    Right after a reboot, the phone has to populate the contacts app and restore sms messages and etc. It will initially run hot and then stop when all of that background work is complete.

I have chosen not to reduce screen resolution. My phone as a general rule stays very cool. I have eliminated apps the don't seem to work well with my phone and have removed the background stuff of always synching that the social apps tend to do. Apps like Facebook I have replaced with Friendly. The former causes my phone to lag and stutter. Sometime lock up and heat up.

My preference is to go at the problem and then I can enjoy a beautiful screen in all its non-reduced glory.
    07-17-17 01:17 PM
    Right after a reboot, the phone has to populate the contacts app and restore sms messages and etc. It will initially run hot and then stop when all of that background work is complete.

I have chosen not to reduce screen resolution. My phone as a general rule stays very cool. I have eliminated apps the don't seem to work well with my phone and have removed the background stuff of always synching that the social apps tend to do. Apps like Facebook I have replaced with Friendly. The former causes my phone to lag and stutter. Sometime lock up and heat up.

My preference is to go at the problem and then I can enjoy a beautiful screen in all its non-reduced glory.
    You wouldnt see the difference....
    07-17-17 02:15 PM
38 12