Wow, good on you ams083 for your Priv contest win!!

It's been ages since I was on this forum because my 9700 hasn't had an upgrade in years (well, it is 6 years old!) - and so now I'll be hanging around the Classic forum - which has already been running for quite a while and everyone else already knows what to do, oh well .....

Did you have to pay the postage for your prize to be shipped? It's a pity that Crackberry couldn't give you an Asian Pacific variety model. But hey - you won a prize!
    06-22-16 03:34 AM
    Btw, is there a Contests forum? Can you link it, thanks
    06-22-16 03:40 AM
    Hilton, so your phone seems to be an unlocked Telstra edition? So do you know if it's got the Telstra firmware? Is Telstra your telco?

At any rate, you're saying that you download the updates as you hear of them? Through Crackberry's update pages or ....
    No firmware, just splash screen from the sim card I would imagine.

Phone is 100% unlocked, all updates get pushed to the phone from BlackBerry have not downloaded any software from websites. Got Marshmallow on the day it was released in region so pretty happy with that and got the June Security update on 4th June, it was large at 1.8 meg.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    06-23-16 08:03 AM
    June Security update on 4th June, it was large at 1.8 meg.
    If that's 'large', then what do you call the 1.3GB Marshmallow update?
    06-23-16 07:48 PM
    An update re my Classic purchase from BB store in Sydney - I bought it on Wednesday, they told me if would arrive Thursday, nope, so rang AusPost and tracked - they said that they had issued a tracking number based on their anticipated receipt of the device - but they never received the device!

So, after umpteen phone calls/voicemails and emails to BBstore yesterday and today - none of which were responded to - I finally got someone to answer a short time ago, and they're out of stock and waiting for more to come into Aus and then to go through the Customs clearance process.

So who darn well knows when I'll get the device!

I'm really peed off with BBStore, you can't get them to respond either via email or voicemail, and they rarely actually answer the phone - it all seems to go to voicemail. And they didn't even bother to tell me that they were out of stock!!

My suggestion - buy straight from HK, because that's where they're getting their stock from, and so is Kogan. And my bet is you'll get it cheaper!
    06-23-16 08:36 PM
    If that's 'large', then what do you call the 1.3GB Marshmallow update?
    1.8gb (typo)
    DrCroubie likes this.
    06-23-16 09:03 PM
    Wow, good on you ams083 for your Priv contest win!!

It's been ages since I was on this forum because my 9700 hasn't had an upgrade in years (well, it is 6 years old!) - and so now I'll be hanging around the Classic forum - which has already been running for quite a while and everyone else already knows what to do, oh well .....

Did you have to pay the postage for your prize to be shipped? It's a pity that Crackberry couldn't give you an Asian Pacific variety model. But hey - you won a prize!
    Yeah it was great when I got the email saying I'd won a choice between passport or priv.

Nope, didn't have to pay postage. Even though it's the US model STV100-1, it still has full coverage with Telstra. I'm yet to experience a drop out or no signal. My other half has a classic on Telstra, so I'm always comparing our signal strengths when out and about, especially when we are somewhere where it's low. I also like that this model has wireless charging, which the APAC one doesn't.

I don't have the link handy, but if you go to the Crackberry site on a desktop, I'm pretty sure there's a section on the front pages about competitions.

BlackBerry PRIV STV100-1 6.0.1
    Classic SQC100-1/10.3.2.2876
    06-24-16 04:06 AM
    No firmware, just splash screen from the sim card I would imagine.

Phone is 100% unlocked, all updates get pushed to the phone from BlackBerry have not downloaded any software from websites. Got Marshmallow on the day it was released in region so pretty happy with that and got the June Security update on 4th June, it was large at 1.8 meg.

When I take my Telstra sim out to put in my Classic, my Priv still shows the Telstra splash screen if I start it up. It's an unlocked US STV100-1, so same as you, gets updates from BlackBerry. I haven't tried another carrier sim card too see if it would still show Telstra though.

I do recall though when I purchased my Torch 9810, it has a Telstra splash screen (was unlocked) and I had a Virgin sim card. Had to jump ship to Telstra though, as I needed BIS activated.

06-24-16 04:12 AM
    When I take my Telstra sim out to put in my Classic, my Priv still shows the Telstra splash screen if I start it up. It's an unlocked US STV100-1, so same as you, gets updates from BlackBerry. I haven't tried another carrier sim card too see if it would still show Telstra though.

I do recall though when I purchased my Torch 9810, it has a Telstra splash screen (was unlocked) and I had a Virgin sim card. Had to jump ship to Telstra though, as I needed BIS activated.

Might load from sim onto phone, I set up with out a sim and had no splash screen. When I put the sim card in and restarted splash screen appeared so has to download from the sim card and stay loaded until overridden by another sim card
    06-24-16 06:37 AM
    I have an unlocked phone also and on Telstra simply. Pretty sure I get the Telstra splash when sim is out also, am going to check and see for sure

06-24-16 05:31 PM
    For a device nearing it's 8month anniversary since it's debut - that's nearly 1 year old mind you - the Priv's pricing is still unilaterally riDAMNdiculous... A huge chunk of its fail can be circled right here... Even with the current sale... $549-600 is what it should have launched at... At the 8month mark this thing should be looking more like $449-500, but nope... High hopes often lead to a deeper plummet in cases like this... When you're attempting to rebuild an Empire it is most wise to begin from the ground up, not start at the top of the tower...

Posted via CB10
    06-24-16 05:40 PM
    Yeah i can also safely say, all BB software updates in AU are NOT dependent on carriers whatsoever. That's the good thing about it.

As long as your phone is unlocked and unbranded by the carrier (if you buy your phone outside of AU) then you'll definitely get the subsequent OS updates from BBRY regardless of what carrier you're using, whether you have the simcard inserted or not.

And answering to your confusion, yeah, the BEST compatibility to Optus' network on PRIV, is the STV-3 version. If you dare to use the STV-1 you won't get the band 8 that's all but you still get the others though particularly the band 1. Yeah band 8 is the long term standard for Optus in particular as Optus has been licenced for quite a while therefore it's their neutral standard but the most important one is that AU supports the 1800/2600/700 bands for the LTE which are all compatible to both STV-1 & 3.

Mine is the STV-1.. and I'll be visiting Melbourne again this summer..

Posted via CB10
    06-24-16 07:10 PM
37 12