I accidentally left my phone torch on overnight while it was charging. When I woke up, the battery life's down to 20+% and now it takes a really long time to charge.

Any cause for concern both in terms of the battery and the torch?

Thanks so much!
    06-26-18 01:11 AM
    Torch.... do you mean flashlight?

Don't think it is meant to be ran continuously, it's a major power drain and would put a strain on both the charging unit and the battery.
    palanit1 likes this.
    06-26-18 07:18 AM
    Torch.... do you mean flashlight?

Don't think it is meant to be ran continuously, it's a major power drain and would put a strain on both the charging unit and the battery.
    In European countries they call flashlights an electric torch. But on the other hand I agree it might ruin the charing unit but I think the flashlight can be run for a few hours with out damaging the battery.
    palanit1 likes this.
    06-26-18 08:18 AM
    I don't think anything was damaged.

The bright white LED probably just pulled more juice from the battery than the charger could replenish. Especially if it was one of those stock lower amp chargers.

Same thing happens if you use the phone for in-car GPS with Google Maps for navigation. The screen stays on but if you have a lower amp car charger, it would still drain the battery - just slower since the charger is trying to add it back.

Higher amp chargers, 1.8 or more, usually can overcome the bigger drains.
    Qorax and Tim-ANC like this.
    06-26-18 09:49 AM
    Could over heat. My current Android phone will turn it off after a given time. Look and see if that is an option. That way it doesn't happen again.
    palanit1 likes this.
    06-26-18 10:52 AM
    I wouldn't worry about it. As for the torch, it is LED, and will last a very long time, much longer than the phone itself.
    Qorax and palanit1 like this.
    06-26-18 03:04 PM
    Same thing happens if you use the phone for in-car GPS with Google Maps for navigation.
    My truck has an actual ac plug in and I use the BlackBerry plug and cable and it will actually keep up with the draw and actual charge the phone. Only issue is the battery getting hot so I mount it in front of an air vent
    palanit1 likes this.
    06-26-18 09:47 PM
    Thanks everyone for your comments! So to summarise - LED light/torch is gonna be OK since it will definitely outlast the phone.

Don't know about the battery though...it's now taking longer than usual to fully charge. What should/can I do?

Thanks once again everyone!
    06-28-18 10:49 AM
    All of a sudden, my PRIV no longer has a flashlight app. I had one of my swipe shortcuts set to flashlight, and it wouldn't work. So I checked the shortcuts and it isn't anywhere on the phone now. I have no idea where it went. Flash and full on light for camera works fine, just the actual flashlight shortcut is gone from phone!
    06-29-18 09:14 PM