Sure, some OEMs do that, but definitely not all. Blackberry is the ONLY company that competes with Google phones on security updates.

Please, don't mix up not bringing N as soon as possible as being a flaw with updates. If they bring it too soon, and then your device is worse than it is now and they leave some security flaws, they set themselves back years. Everyone wants the newest OS update, until that update breaks your phone. Look back at Oneplus 3/3T N rollout.

The fact that the PRIV will get the update within a year of Google releases it is a positive. Now if BlackBerry comes out and says they changed there minds and they aren't updating at all, that's a different story, but that's not the case.
    N has been out long enough that it has multiple iterations, no excuses for BB here.
    02-26-17 09:57 AM
    N has been out long enough that it has multiple iterations, no excuses for BB here.
    No excuses here either. I'm not a native Crackberry. I have been android since 2009, I just joined here because there are many more people here with PRIV than android central.

This is all I'm saying. If Samsung, the champion of Android for as long as Android has been in its existence, just released N on their S7 devices, then surely, a company that just released their first Android phone November 2015, will be given a few months grace period.

Android is a different beast. As of February 7th, Nougat finally reached a whopping 1% of all android devices! That is 5 months after release. Be patient and be thankful that your device is going to get N. If these new OS updates are your priority, then you need to get a Nexus, Pixel, or an iPhone.
    newcollector likes this.
    02-26-17 10:16 AM
    No excuses here either. I'm not a native Crackberry. I have been android since 2009, I just joined here because there are many more people here with PRIV than android central.

This is all I'm saying. If Samsung, the champion of Android for as long as Android has been in its existence, just released N on their S7 devices, then surely, a company that just released their first Android phone November 2015, will be given a few months grace period.

Android is a different beast. As of February 7th, Nougat finally reached a whopping 1% of all android devices! That is 5 months after release. Be patient and be thankful that your device is going to get N. If these new OS updates are your priority, then you need to get a Nexus, Pixel, or an iPhone.
    I'm an S7 Edge user, been on Nougat since last month.

I'm just very critical of Android OEMs slacking with the updates, BB not being an exception.

Samsung should have had Nougat out in December, poor showing from them to.
    02-26-17 10:19 AM
    I'm an S7 Edge user, been on Nougat since last month.

I'm just very critical of Android OEMs slacking with the updates, BB not being an exception.

Samsung should have had Nougat out in December, poor showing from them to.

With that thinking though, it sounds like you're upset with every OEM. If every OEM is not to our satisfaction, then either the whole system (starting with Google and Qualcomm) needs to change, or we need to change our expectations.

It's kind of like taxes. I can (and I do) gripe and complain about taxes, but it's just for the sake of griping and complaining. It's the way the system is constructed and it just isn't going to change without radical reform.

If an OEM can find a way to consistently (and reliably most important) push out updates within weeks of Google, then sure, I will then jump on that bandwagon and crush these OEMs for taking 6 months. Until then, I have to assume that it's just not possible.
    02-26-17 10:42 AM
    I agree that it has been a bit too long for n on BlackBerry, but it came out in March it would still be the first quarter and would be similar to the window for marshmallow. My biggest problem with BlackBerry on this matter is the lack of communication. If they would just say SOMETHING on the record about nougat it would go along way.
    02-26-17 06:20 PM
    KEYone will actually be available in March. So Nougat can come at any time for the Priv. It may be sooner than we anticipate or later than we think. I certainly know that securing Android takes longer than just getting the "unsecured" version Samsung has sent to their S7.

I am more than willing to wait for the update since it will be secured, and with many of the early adopter bugs worked out.
    02-27-17 02:47 PM
    My PRIV runs super awesome on Marshmallow so no real rush to go Nougat. When it comes I will update but aware that BlackBerry has to apply security to OS updates so at the end worth the wait.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-17 04:33 PM
    KEYone will actually be available in March. So Nougat can come at any time for the Priv. It may be sooner than we anticipate or later than we think. I certainly know that securing Android takes longer than just getting the "unsecured" version Samsung has sent to their S7.

I am more than willing to wait for the update since it will be secured, and with many of the early adopter bugs worked out.
    In March? Thought they already confirmed April?
    chuckiev79 likes this.
    02-27-17 05:29 PM
    In March? Thought they already confirmed April?
    Apr 10 as per Unlocked Mobiles.
    02-28-17 05:26 AM
    Yes it is April. I was thinking of what a previous poster had put. Silly mental glitch on my part.
    02-28-17 06:23 AM
35 12