I have Another Other Theory... Alejandro Nova is actually a pseudonym for John Chen. He is not in Chile but Canada. And this is his way of teasing us even more about what's to come.

Honestly though, pretty crazy "coincidence" that your theory is now a rumor floating around as the real deal. Never mind the implications for the company, without any insight you apparently guessed the whole strategy for the upcoming device(s). Kudos!

Posted via CB10
    AnimalPak200 and AdamThatsIt like this.
    09-01-15 06:21 PM
    I know we are mainly talking phones here (slider section post). But would this theory not fit in perfect to allow Android and therefore Google to be the go to ecosystem for the new wave of IOT? Which would make Google very happy with their data mining etc.

We hear weekly of how scary it will be when hackers can break into our nest thermostats or take control of our cars while driving or turn our cell cameras on etc.. I really do think Android will be them common OS of the future connected world, and if there is a way to lock down and secure the the process right from hardware through to the apps themselves it will make the expansion of the IOT much easier as to alleviate the security hold backs currently experienced.

So for the discussion to be only if this is how the slider will or will not be really doesn't matter, if BlackBerry can lock this down for all of Android devices. Sky's the limit with the possibilities. But hopefully the slider is the major unveiling to the world.

Also I'm totally addicted to this thread.

Posted via CB10
    When they can break into nest thermostats? They can today and it's fairly trivial to do so but the question is why would they? Hackers are hacking to steal money or information they can sell for money or use to further an ideology. How would changing your thermostat from 78 down to 69 even be worth their time and effort?

Posted via BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition
    Attached Thumbnails Another theory.-img_20150830_234131.png   Another theory.-img_20150828_140804.png  
    Avenzuno likes this.
    09-01-15 06:34 PM
    When they can break into nest thermostats? They can today and it's fairly trivial to do so but the question is why would they? Hackers are hacking to steal money or information they can sell for money or use to further an ideology. How would changing your thermostat from 78 down to 69 even be worth their time and effort?

You're a bit naive I think.
    Having access to the thermostat allows to understand if people are at home for example.
    Perfect way to plan a visit to collect some valuables.

Posted via CB10
    09-02-15 03:04 AM
    I have Another Other Theory... Alejandro Nova is actually a pseudonym for John Chen. He is not in Chile but Canada. And this is his way of teasing us even more about what's to come. (...cut...)

Posted via CB10
    Your theory made me laugh a lot, however at this point in time I guess anything is possible. I would be glad if the foundation of the Slider OS remains in Blackberrys hands, but again that is just wishful thinking.

Posted via CB10 from Passport
    00stryder likes this.
    09-02-15 03:53 AM

Or just simple pranksters messing with people by shutting off the heat when it is -20. A long weekend would result in broken pipes and lots of damage.

Posted via CB10
    09-02-15 04:49 AM
    I have Another Other Theory... Alejandro Nova is actually a pseudonym for John Chen. He is not in Chile but Canada. And this is his way of teasing us even more about what's to come.

Honestly though, pretty crazy "coincidence" that your theory is now a rumor floating around as the real deal. Never mind the implications for the company, without any insight you apparently guessed the whole strategy for the upcoming device(s). Kudos!

Posted via CB10
    LMAO

Wide vision, from Chile.
    09-02-15 06:59 AM
    Alejandro, is there a way to tell just from the browsing the device itself if it's using QNX or Linux kernel?

Posted via CB10
    Benjamin Black likes this.
    09-03-15 11:39 PM
    Alejandro, is there a way to tell just from the browsing the device itself if it's using QNX or Linux kernel?

Posted via CB10
    Should be in the about system section of the settings menu.

09-04-15 12:25 AM
    Should be in the about system section of the settings menu.

Yes, but I would expect it to be in a cryptic way, for compatibility reasons (3.4.0-09212015-really-qnx66, for instance)

Wide vision, from Chile.
    09-05-15 01:12 AM
    Even if this is technically possible, does it matter as users? As investors?

It will happen or it will not. With either outcome, most will not be impacted.

Posted via CB10
    As users, it may matter if BlackBerry 10 apps can be launched from the Android launcher. However, as investors this theory can be quite relevant.

We are talking about switching from an open source kernel, controlled by basically nobody, to a closed source and monetizable kernel, controlled by BlackBerry Limited. If BlackBerry can modify and secure Android, and if, for example, Samsung, buys this, BlackBerry could find itself with an endless supply of money, the true replacement for SAF.

Also, if Google partners with BlackBerry and decides to switch the Android kernel to QNX in Marshmallow (a pipe dream) or to endorse the BlackBerry brand of Android (something more possible), Google will make an eventual Android fork much more difficult, and will be able to have a tighter control of the Android ecosystem. Google definitely wants that.

Wide vision, from Chile.
    mania626, Avenzuno and kfh227 like this.
    09-05-15 01:30 AM
    Alejandro, is your theory consistent with a need for BlackBerry 10 (10.4? 11?) to be based upon Qt 5.5? I'm no software engineer. Please explain if and how QNX Hypervisor would factor into your theory.

Posted via CB 10 | STA100-3 Z30 | OS 10.3.2.858
    09-05-15 01:27 PM
    Alejandro, is your theory consistent with a need for BlackBerry 10 (10.4? 11?) to be based upon Qt 5.5? I'm no software engineer. Please explain if and how QNX Hypervisor would factor into your theory.

Qnx isn't hypervisor. Hypervisor is actually licensed by microsoft. In this theory there is zero need for BlackBerry 10. If you do want to incorporate hypervisor technology then you have a possibility of blackberry 10 with android on the same device. QNX is the kernel hypervisor could manage two virtual machines on the same device one running BlackBerry 10 and one running Android. If Alejandro is wrong about this then you can kiss the idesa of the slider ever running BlackBerry 10 goodbye because the BlackBerry 10 operating system doesn't interface with the Linux kernel which is what android runs on. So there a couple of possibilities:
    1)slider only runs android and has a Linux kernel
    2)slider runs both bb10 and android using a hypervisor and interfaces with the Qnx kernel
    3)slider runs bb10 and android with only consumer grade security using samsung Knox instead of bes with the Linux kernel

theoretically you could have a flashing tool that flashes the kernel as well but then the device would have to be rooted.

Last edited by Benjamin Black; 09-05-15 at 03:59 PM.
    Avenzuno likes this.
    09-05-15 01:46 PM
    How about another wild and speculative theory.

Future Android will be developed on a qnx based kernel. Alphabet inc. will purchase Blackberry and keep it as a separate Canadian based subsidiary.
    Reed Richards likes this.
    09-05-15 04:45 PM
    And yet another piece of 'leaked' info at a German website...

https://bb10qnx.de/2015/09/slider-wi...roid-passport/

Via

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?p=11904759

Another theory.-img_20150906_203353.png

 Q5 / Z30
    09-06-15 10:09 AM

I'm a lawyer with some experience using Linux systems. I'm no software engineer either, but I've been exposed to some complexities through my life in Linux.

If Android is ported to the QNX userland, then BlackBerry 10 apps will be able to run, unmodified and side by side. You need no hypervisor for that. The Hypervisor is what you need if you want to run the full Android operating system (Linux + Google userland + ART + Android) side by side with BlackBerry 10.

The Qt5 port I believe in is completely unrelated. I'm betting on a Qt 5 port because I can't think about a better way to write Android versions of the BlackBerry Experience and updating BlackBerry 10 at the same time.

Wide vision, from Chile.
    Avenzuno likes this.
    09-06-15 09:09 PM
    Putting OP's theory simply, it would be BB10 minus BB10 skin plus full Android RT + apps (including Google search, Google play, Email and Gmail) plus Android skin, to be marketed under the name Android. The name BB10 won't be used anymore.

It would cost BlackBerry nothing but the name BB10. Google would have another member of Android family that could be advertised as 'Secured' or 'Unbreakable'. Existing customers would know (e.g. via CB forum) that it is still their beloved BB10 OS. Potential customers would know that it's Android OS, possibly 'more secure'.

Yes, it looks very reasonable.

Posted via CB10
    Merboy6969 and ayngling like this.
    09-07-15 03:11 PM
    Putting OP's theory simply, it would be BB10 minus BB10 skin plus full Android RT + apps (including Google search, Google play, Email and Gmail) plus Android skin, to be marketed under the name Android. The name BB10 won't be used anymore.

It would cost BlackBerry nothing but the name BB10. Google would have another member of Android family that could be advertised as 'Secured' or 'Unbreakable'. Existing customers would know (e.g. via CB forum) that it is still their beloved BB10 OS. Potential customers would know that it's Android OS, possibly 'more secure'.

Posted via CB10
    So basically it'll be secured android that's actually bb10.

So what's the deal with the 3% of android apps not being able to run?

Posted via CB10
    dusanvn likes this.
    09-07-15 03:42 PM

Posted via CB10
    This is an interesting notion, because now if you imply the rumour that there will be a choice at bootup between bb10/android, the choice would only be one for UI/UX and not one of ability to run apps.
    Last edited by spike12; 09-07-15 at 05:19 PM.
    09-07-15 04:09 PM

Posted via CB10
    The 3% might be due to certain Android services that are not ported to BB10 at all, or ported with altered semantics, for security or technical reason.

Posted via CB10
    09-07-15 06:38 PM
    This is an interesting notion, because now if you imply the rumour that there will be a choice at bootup between bb10/android, the choice would only be one for UI/UX and not one of ability to run apps.
    That choice won't be necessary but should it be true, I think the Android RT in the BB10 choice won't be there anymore.

Posted via CB10
    09-07-15 06:46 PM

Posted via CB10
    Where did you get that from? The German blog post?

I think that was a misunderstood/mistranslation. Based on the context, the Author was elaborating on the 'the Passport is good enough as it is and therefore will not get Android' claim, stating that 'most Android apps' already work on BlackBerry 10 with its runtime, except for a small percentage (3% is consistent to what's been thrown around, but is likely a much larger number now as Google play services becomes more widespread). I say 'based on the context', because right after that he remarks how it was ironic that despite the BlackBerry employee at IFA saying 'it's good enough as it is', the Minions game stuttered and didn't work that great on the Passport being shown to them.

Posted via CB10
    09-07-15 06:49 PM
    The 3% in the German blog post (that I've read via English translation) probably refers to an experimental version of the 'secured Android' that might have been planned for the Passport of the year 2015 (i.e. Silver Edition). BlackBerry might have been satisfied with that good percentage of incompatibility but Google might not and didn't allow its release under the name 'Android'; so the release was postponed (for further development) until the next phone, probably the Slider/Venice/Avenger. If it'll prove to be successful then there would be some chance that it'll appear in Passport 2016, according to the blogger.
    Last edited by dusanvn; 09-07-15 at 11:40 PM.
    09-07-15 11:26 PM
    The 3% in the German blog post (that I've read via English translation) probably refers to an experimental version of the 'secured Android' that might have been planned for the Passport of the year 2015 (i.e. Silver Edition). BlackBerry might have been satisfied with that good percentage of incompatibility but Google might not and didn't allow its release under the name 'Android'; so the release was postponed (for further development) until the next phone, probably the Slider/Venice/Avenger. If it'll prove to be successful then there would be some chance that it'll appear in Passport 2016, according to the blogger.
    No... the German post was clearly stating that the BlackBerry rep said Android was not coming to the Passport because (according to the rep) the Passport was 'good enough as it is', (and could already run most Android apps, except about 3%... except that ironically, the Minions Android game being shown was stuttering).

Posted via CB10
    09-07-15 11:47 PM
    No... the German post was clearly stating that the BlackBerry rep said Android was not coming to the Passport because (according to the rep) the Passport was 'good enough as it is', (and could already run most Android apps, except about 3%... except that ironically, the Minions Android game being shown was stuttering).

Posted via CB10
    I think we have a winner here!

Look at how things can so easily be lost in translation.

Posted via CB10
    09-08-15 05:54 AM

Posted via CB10
    That's right, the (translated) German post indeed stated so. Just that... 3% failure in the actual BB10 release in Passport is obviously false, so I tried to combine believable pieces of information from the post and prior rumors (a Passport prototype running Android, a Venice prototype with Android UI but QNX uname, Google involment in BlackBerry's product development etc) to figure out what the BlackBerry rep might have on heart.

Posted via CB10
    09-08-15 07:44 AM
153 ... 4567