https://www.androidpit.com/android-m...s-9-comparison

In the article above:

Despite Apple tracking your phone usage and sending algorithms through your emails to optimize some of Siri's new features,*Apple gleefully emphasized that all the*data it gathers is stored 'on-device' and remains strictly private and for your own benefit.

This is, of course, a dig*at Google, who have*a patchy reputation for privacy due to their use of customer data in making Google the world's foremost*advertising platform. One upshot of Marshmallow on the security front is native fingerprint scanner support, taking it out of the hands of manufacturers and putting it into Google's hands. Not sure if that makes you feel safer or not. Of course, Apple has had a native fingerprint scanner*for quite some time now.

Even android based websites makes fun of their own lack of privacy.

I don't understand how blackberry is gonna pull off a "private" android phone with Google running free.

Apple is making digs at google at every turn in regards to consumer data.
    I'm becoming more and more convinced that the Privshould not be called priv at all. Because that would be a huge fat lie.

Posted via CB10
    11-03-15 07:52 AM
    On android you can create a new dummy gmail account, and use 3rd part apps for all other things: mail, contacts, browser, maps etc. Also, location tracking is DISABLED by default in android and must confirm TWICE before enabling it. Google doesn't have access to much information about your phone if you don't use their apps/services.

This way, google has very little actual information about you.
    11-03-15 07:59 AM
    Just don't use Google Chrome and you're safe OP!

Posted via CB10
    11-03-15 08:01 AM
    Also, people are so worried about Google that they ignore the other companies. There is very little privacy protection when using 3rd party apps on any OS. Even on BB10 the only privacy protection against 3rd party apps is granular permissions. Once you give an app access to your contacts (or photos or anything else) for example, you must trust that the app won't do anything bad with that info.
    11-03-15 08:09 AM
    On android you can create a new dummy gmail account, and use 3rd part apps for all other things: mail, contacts, browser, maps etc. Also, location tracking is DISABLED by default in android and must confirm TWICE before enabling it. Google doesn't have access to much information about your phone if you don't use their apps/services.

They can still trace your location based on the network... how do you think the cops come to rescue when you call 911? It's not just cops... once I called statefarm for towing my car.. before I could tell my location, they got to know mine even though location services were off...

Further, we can't say that Google doesn't take our data even if we deny all the permissions... it's an advertising company which needs data for everything and they will take it even if you don't want to...

Posted via CB10
    11-03-15 08:14 AM

Thanks for that bit of info. So apparently android M offers granular permissions without braking the app. How about google services and frameworks?

Will android M's granular permissions allow us to block google services from accessing different permissions or are we working on a double standard system here?

Posted via CB10
    11-03-15 08:16 AM
    They can still trace your location based on the network... how do you think the cops come to rescue when you call 911? It's not just cops... once I called statefarm for towing my car.. before I could tell my location, they got to know mine even though location services were off...

Further, we can't say that Google doesn't take our data even if we deny all the permissions... it's an advertising company which needs data for everything and they will take it even if you don't want to...

Posted via CB10
    I know you can trace location based on network, but that is not something Android exclusive.

About your second point, do you have any proof/articles stating that Google takes data stored in other apps? If i use <insert_3rd_party_app_name> contacts or mail app, I don't think they access that info. Hell even the Google photos app requests access to back-up photos in the cloud before doing so.
    11-03-15 08:23 AM
    Google collects only the information you chose to allow them to have access to, its used to enhance Google services and target advertising towards you this is nothing new or hidden. It's the trade off most users freely give Google so they can enjoy a large and mostly free app ecosystem. In the end it's all about an individuals comfort level. Do I like knowing I can be tracked by location services? Well if I enjoy Google maps and Google now and use them daily maybe I'm not so worried about Google being able to track me. On the other hand if you are bothered about Google tracking your every move then turn off location services and use fake email addresses etc like a previous poster said.
    11-03-15 08:28 AM
    Thanks for that bit of info. So apparently android M offers granular permissions without braking the app. How about google services and frameworks?

Will android M's granular permissions allow us to block google services from accessing different permissions or are we working on a double standard system here?

Posted via CB10
    Google play services is a background app and API collection. It is also a system level app. Syetem level apps are excluded from granular permissions.

Devs use these services for location settings and notifications. Blocking google play services from accessing your location for example will break all apps from accessing your location, even legit ones like maps apps.

But, Google apps (like chrome for example) ask for permission to use camera/location/storage.
    11-03-15 08:31 AM