I have just recently bought a new Priv, since my old one stopped loading the battery, and I don't want to buy a phone without a keyboard or with a smaller screen... Now, on the old phone I was able to install Android version 6.0.1 (i.e. it was installed pretty much automatically), but on the new one I cannot upgrade from 5.1.1. Is there any good explanation for this difference? The old one has listed model number STV100-4, while the new one is STV100-1, does this mean anything? Is there anything I can do to get 6.0.1 on the new as well? I have a few apps that are not supported on 5.1.1...
    bqik likes this.
    09-16-18 06:40 AM
    09-16-18 10:18 AM
    autoloader is your way to update correctly to 6.0.1.

search for MM Priv autoloader
    epoc32 likes this.
    09-17-18 02:22 PM
    I have just recently bought a new Priv, since my old one stopped loading the battery, and I don't want to buy a phone without a keyboard or with a smaller screen... Now, on the old phone I was able to install Android version 6.0.1 (i.e. it was installed pretty much automatically), but on the new one I cannot upgrade from 5.1.1. Is there any good explanation for this difference? The old one has listed model number STV100-4, while the new one is STV100-1, does this mean anything? Is there anything I can do to get 6.0.1 on the new as well? I have a few apps that are not supported on 5.1.1...
    https://ca.blackberry.com/content/bl...ggzyfzylsvylnv
    09-17-18 02:59 PM
    Thanks. The problem with that solution is just that I have to reset the phone. On the old one it was installed without having to be reset, but I guess there's no way around it?

Now, I have another question. For some reason the space-button on my newly bought Priv has stopped clicking when pressed. It still works somehow, but it's not possible to notice if it has been pressed down, which is quite annoying. At first I thought this might have to do with the fact that I have opened it up to access the battery cable. My old Priv’s battery wasn't loading, so to get out data that I didn't have backed up, I had to connect it to a different battery, so I connected the new and the old phone together, which worked just fine. I thought this procedure might have destroyed the space-button. However removing the back panel does of course not affect the keyboard at all, so obviously that can't have been the reason... This unfortunately also means that reopening it to reinsert the space-button correctly is not possible either. Is there a simple way do disassemble the keyboard buttons to fix this? Or is this a permanent damage that I cannot repair myself?
    09-19-18 04:00 AM
    Thanks. The problem with that solution is just that I have to reset the phone. On the old one it was installed without having to be reset, but I guess there's no way around it?

Now, I have another question. For some reason the space-button on my newly bought Priv has stopped clicking when pressed. It still works somehow, but it's not possible to notice if it has been pressed down, which is quite annoying. At first I thought this might have to do with the fact that I have opened it up to access the battery cable. My old Priv’s battery wasn't loading, so to get out data that I didn't have backed up, I had to connect it to a different battery, so I connected the new and the old phone together, which worked just fine. I thought this procedure might have destroyed the space-button. However removing the back panel does of course not affect the keyboard at all, so obviously that can't have been the reason... This unfortunately also means that reopening it to reinsert the space-button correctly is not possible either. Is there a simple way do disassemble the keyboard buttons to fix this? Or is this a permanent damage that I cannot repair myself?
    @EskeRahn
    09-19-18 05:46 AM

Hmm my GUESS for the most likely reasons would be that the process have slightly pressed/pulled something to a side, so the space bar does not move freely, or it could be some pocket lint or other debris that got stuck.
    I would try to squeeze in a nail, toothpick or similar on all four sides of the spacebar one by one to try to see of that frees it. Of course be careful what you use, and that you do not go deep...
    (It could be the mechanism itself, but that is not very likely on a new device IMHO)

On the update thing, You write "STV100-1" is it an unlocked AT&T branded device used outside the reach of AT&T network? If so the only option is to use the Autoloaders (official page here), unless it is one of the 'lucky' one that were white-listed for direct OTA updates in the autumn of 2016, and as yours does not get it offered - I guess it is not. And yes the Autoloader will wipe everything...
    NORMALLY the AT&T branded Privs got a logo on the back, BUT at least one user in here have had one with a plain back, so could be hard to spot, but should have some AT&T bloat software installed. Look at the installed Apps for something starting with AT&T or have a look at the screen dumps here
    09-19-18 06:58 AM
    Tried it, but it didn't really help... It's not actually stuck, and it does move up and down, it just doesn't click. If I press any of the other keys, or even if I press the space button on my old Priv, I can hear a distinct click sound which is also easy to feel. It used to be like this also on the new Priv, but it disappeared while I was using it yesterday, and now it's pretty much impossible to notice if the key has been pressed down or not, at least it is MUCH less distinct than with the other keys...

The SVT100-1 is clearly an AT&T device used outside of the AT&T network, since I live in Norway and use it here. It was bought from China, so I didn’t know it was an AT&T device until I got it, not possible to see it either, ie no logo, except for all the AT&T software that was installed on it. My previous one was an STV100-4 which I bought here, but they don't sell it any longer... So I guess I’ll have to reinstall everything once more…
    09-19-18 08:50 AM
    Tried it, but it didn't really help... It's not actually stuck, and it does move up and down, it just doesn't click. If I press any of the other keys, or even if I press the space button on my old Priv, I can hear a distinct click sound which is also easy to feel. It used to be like this also on the new Priv, but it disappeared while I was using it yesterday, and now it's pretty much impossible to notice if the key has been pressed down or not, at least it is MUCH less distinct than with the other keys...

The SVT100-1 is clearly an AT&T device used outside of the AT&T network, since I live in Norway and use it here. It was bought from China, so I didn’t know it was an AT&T device until I got it, not possible to see it either, ie no logo, except for all the AT&T software that was installed on it. My previous one was an STV100-4 which I bought here, but they don't sell it any longer... So I guess I’ll have to reinstall everything once more…
    Yes, the autoloader is your only option then. ;(

It still could be something preventing the space bar from moving freely. Try to compare with the old one, does it come ALL the way up when released? Of course it could be the click-contact it self. But all the devices I have seen either was defective from the beginning, or first fail after a lot of usage.
    I do not know it for sure, but my GUESS is that the mechanism is the same simple one you can see in the disassembled one for a Samsung Galaxy here https://eskerahn.dk/wordpress/?p=2284
    And the small 'plate' under the space could be defective, but I doubt it
    Any difference between pressing the two sides? (Yes I know it works best pressing the middle, but any dirt could be at either side)

PS
    See the actual keyboard keys about 3 min in here
    Last edited by EskeRahn; 09-19-18 at 07:59 PM.
    09-19-18 07:37 PM
    Thanks for helping out Eske.... ( Hermit that rarely leave the comfort of the PRIV 2 thread unless Boon is throwing a PRIV bash.)
    EskeRahn likes this.
    09-19-18 08:51 PM
    Thanks for helping out Eske.... ( Hermit that rarely leave the comfort of the PRIV 2 thread unless Boon is throwing a PRIV bash.)
    09-20-18 03:39 AM
    Yep, thanks for trying, really do appreciate it, but unfortunately I think I’m about to give up… I have now been able to lift the space button enough up to take a look pretty much all the way around it, and there’s no debris to be found, looks completely clean to me. When looking at it, it seems to go as far up as the space button on my old phone. There’s no noticeable difference between either of the sides, but compared to the old phone (and the other new, since I bought 2…), it is not possible to press it down and activate the click function at all from either of the sides, as this is just barely possible in the center. So I honestly believe it must be a defect in the plate underneath, and since it is brand new I guess it might have been a bit off from the start, though I didn’t notice. I haven’t been using it much yet, just a few hours installing it, so I guess I might not have used the space button to much doing that. This would of course be a minor problem had it been bought here, but I’m a bit more skeptical when it comes to returning it to China to have this fixed… But luckily I bought 2, so guess I’ll have to use the other one instead, hoping that it will last longer…
    EskeRahn likes this.
    09-20-18 05:06 AM
    Is STV100-4 Rootable?
    09-20-18 05:25 AM
    No BBAndroid devices have ever been rooted to my knowledge due to Android type of build.
    Is STV100-4 Rootable?
    09-20-18 08:59 AM
    Yep, thanks for trying, really do appreciate it, but unfortunately I think I’m about to give up… I have now been able to lift the space button enough up to take a look pretty much all the way around it, and there’s no debris to be found, looks completely clean to me. When looking at it, it seems to go as far up as the space button on my old phone. There’s no noticeable difference between either of the sides, but compared to the old phone (and the other new, since I bought 2…), it is not possible to press it down and activate the click function at all from either of the sides, as this is just barely possible in the center. So I honestly believe it must be a defect in the plate underneath, and since it is brand new I guess it might have been a bit off from the start, though I didn’t notice. I haven’t been using it much yet, just a few hours installing it, so I guess I might not have used the space button to much doing that. This would of course be a minor problem had it been bought here, but I’m a bit more skeptical when it comes to returning it to China to have this fixed… But luckily I bought 2, so guess I’ll have to use the other one instead, hoping that it will last longer…
    You are welcome.
    If you look at this video 1:10 to 1:30 in, it should be possible to remove the keyboard plate with the rubber-mat as the very first thing. After this you should be able to click each contact of the keyboard with a finger. If the space-contact does not click like the others, it has a fault, but if it does click, then something is preventing it to be pressed correctly, and you will need to look closely at the mat for anything looking 'odd'.

Also check that the white protective plastic is even. Could there be a fold, or something under it near the space-contact?
    09-20-18 10:16 AM
    Ha ha... They should have made a film of putting it back together again as well, because that honestly seemed a bit risky... Is it just to put the keyboard back down again and it will stick? I might give it a go, since I’m sort of out of good alternatives, but I think I’ll wait until I got the other one up and running…
    09-20-18 12:19 PM
    Ha ha... They should have made a film of putting it back together again as well, because that honestly seemed a bit risky... Is it just to put the keyboard back down again and it will stick? I might give it a go, since I’m sort of out of good alternatives, but I think I’ll wait until I got the other one up and running…
    EDIT: Just tried to lift a bottom corner, it is a stiff plastic sticker
    I haven't tried it either, but could be that the keyboard top is just clicked in.
    After all it is
    just holding the rubber mat with the keytops, not any electronics.
    Last edited by EskeRahn; 09-20-18 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Clarification
    09-20-18 01:09 PM
    ...which means it's actually glued on, right? And hence it might not stick as well after being lifted up and reinserted as it did originally?
    09-22-18 04:24 AM
    ...which means it's actually glued on, right? And hence it might not stick as well after being lifted up and reinserted as it did originally?
    I assume so, at least some sort of adhesive.
    09-23-18 07:27 PM