09-20-15 11:59 AM
46 12
tools
    If it's rootable (to install custom roms).. then the entire security aspect of Blackberry goes down the drain am i right?

Risky take by Blackberry going up against the XDA modders team no?
    lift likes this.
    09-14-15 10:48 PM
    No one will really know until more details are announced. Which, we have no idea when that'll happen. Hopefully during the earnings call at the end of the month, but we'll see.

Posted via CB10
    WT44 likes this.
    09-14-15 10:50 PM
    Not sure. I would think it depends on who it is marketed to AND whether BB10 continues. If it is marketed to consumers only, and BB10 is always offered as BlackBerry's "secure" solution for enterprise, then I'd say it does not matter so long as BlackBerry appears to have secured Android as much as anyone could expect. The carriers aren't going to care and neither are consumers.

If it replaces BlackBerry 10 at some point then yeah, it needs to be bulletproof.

John Chen said they would only offer Android if they can secure it (as I recall). Surely he knows "secure" means not rootable since BlackBerry responded pretty seriously to Dingleberry on the PlayBook and that "hole".
    ayngling likes this.
    09-14-15 10:53 PM
    I think with "secure" he didn't mean rooting at all. Root is gained via exploits and no software and OS can be 100% secure. What he did mean, I think, is to provide secure communication and services. Since Android M will be rootable somehow this will be too.

What won't be possible I guess is to unlock the Bootloader to flash a custom ROM. But I don't need that. I just want root to secure it and cut the Internet Connection for most apps and system services.

Posted via CB10
    09-15-15 04:00 AM
    Newer versions of Android OS are increasingly difficult to be rooted, while utilities have made rooting an easy task.

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-ea...ndroid-device/

http://www.kingoapp.com/android-root/devices.htm

Posted via CB10
    09-15-15 08:46 AM
    I was reading comments on Android Central about this. A couple of the people over there said if it's not rootable, then no way they would buy it. Some of them couldn't care if it's rootable or not. Guess we'll just have to wait and see what BlackBerry brings to the table.

Rocking a Z30 on Verizon
    09-15-15 12:17 PM
    Would you also advocate mandatory immediate password locking of the device? That would accomplish a lot more for overall security than anything else.
    09-15-15 12:20 PM
    If it's rootable (to install custom roms).. then the entire security aspect of Blackberry goes down the drain am i right?

I have been saying this ever since rumors about a BlackBerry android device started. If that device is hacked or rooted, there goes BlackBerry's reputation. All the android apologists are going to say otherwise though.
    Seems like almost everyone that runs an android device root's it to block things or remove things because stock android is just too intrusive and is too bloated. Those same people are going to expect to root the BlackBerry slider and hopefully it will never happen.
    09-15-15 01:54 PM
    BB10 is not rootable in any kind, so it's impossible to set up a firewall or install any ad blocker. Great "security"...

By the way: BB10 is also bloated! Why can't I uninstall the Amazon App Store? Or BBM which I don't use?

If I had root on BB10 I could uninstall it and even remove the entire Android Runtime!

Posted via CB10
    yyz321, StephanieMaks and Witmen like this.
    09-15-15 01:56 PM
    BB10 is not rootable in any kind, so it's impossible to set up a firewall or install any ad blocker. Great "security"...

By the way: BB10 is also bloated! Why can't I uninstall the Amazon App Store? Or BBM which I don't use?

If I had root on BB10 I could uninstall it and even remove the entire Android Runtime!

Posted via CB10
    I agree. Although it may not be as bad as some Android handset manufacturers, BlackBerry OS has it's own share of bloatware.
    09-15-15 02:32 PM

Posted via CB10
    You wouldn't have to root android if every program or app didn't connect to the internet and phone home with all kinds of tracking and data. I use Browsie Browser for internet ad blocking. You obviously have and use android are are now defending it like I knew a lot of people would.
    Android is a privacy and security nightmare and is nothing but an advertising and tracking operating system for Google.
    By the way, you can only ever get root from a security vulnerability in the first place. Funny how the XDA guys always find one for every version of android. Yeah, android is really nice and secure.
    09-15-15 02:34 PM
    Venice won't have much appeal to the XDA android modding crowd. I expect the bootloader to be locked, a KNOX type solution to detect root and disable use of secure apps on detection; 'Unknown Sources' capability to be removed or restricted by pin so you can't easily sideload potentially malware-laden apk. Perhaps there will be a bounty for root like the Verizon/ATT Samsung Note 4 that is now up to a cumulative 30K.
    lift and gdg521 like this.
    09-15-15 02:37 PM
    I have no idea where some of you android people think that BB10 has a lot of bloatware. Have these people seen Samsung phones? How about the new Asus Zenphone 2. How about all the carrier crap that you can not remove on almost all android devices.
    So what, there are a few apps that can not be removed on BB10. At least they are trustworthy and useful. (Except the Amazon apps).
    09-15-15 04:33 PM
    Maybe BlackBerry isn't going to 'secure ' the slider. It may just be another Android device for the masses. A Slider Android device with a BlackBerry keyboard, with the added BlackBerry suite hub, BBM, etc. If it's the apps people want but those same people liked the BlackBerry experience and left, maybe they will come back for this. And the added benefit of bringing in more android users to BlackBerry hardware running Android. Since BlackBerry has stated that they are still committed to BlackBerry 10, maybe Os10 on BlackBerry hardware will be more for government / enterprise due to all the certifications it all ready has.

Rocking a Z30 on Verizon
    09-15-15 05:45 PM
    I like BB10 don't get me wrong please. Especially those apps like SmartTag and Compass. On Android I'd have to look for a third party one and don't know what data is being shared and so on. But there are many many Apps that I now, after 2 years of BB10 (Q10 and Classic) really miss and even need for my business.

I wish there was a better solution for this app issue, but there isn't, the Android Runtime is just too slow on the Classic. If there was a Classic 2 with better specs then I'd consider sticking with BB10 and continue to use the Android Runtime.

But I will buy the Slider as soon as it's released, because I really like it. Big screen, Keyboard, OIS camera, this phone will surely be great.

Posted via CB10
    09-15-15 06:06 PM
    It's definitely rootable. Maybe they'll have a knox like trigger but even then that can be worked around sometimes.

Bootloaders are generally locked in the us/canada/uk market only isnt? Not in the Middle East / Africa.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by sayf777; 09-16-15 at 02:12 PM.
    09-16-15 09:22 AM
    It's definitely rootable. Maybe they'll have a knox like trigger but even then that can be worked around sometimes.

Bootloaders are generally locked in the us/canada/uk market only isnt? Not in the Middle East / Africa.

Posted via CB10
    I know all you android lovers WANT and HOPE this is going to be rootable but it won't be. Please get that through your heads. As much as you all keep wishing and hoping. BlackBerry has made it clear that if they can not "secure" android they won't do an android device. Secure means locked bootloader and NO root. BlackBerry has too much at stake to allow the phone to be rooted. I really wish you people would stop with the root dreams!!!
    DJM626 likes this.
    09-16-15 09:30 PM
    So what if it can be rooted? So what if that can compromise security? Rooting involves a voluntary deed (unless you have a gun on your head which is a different thread).

If people want to do it, what's that got to do with the 98% of users who normally won't? Is Rooting a disease that can be caught via air? Will it compromise another non-rooted user just by being in the vicinity of a rooted phone?
    Xaiux, ayngling and Mansoor2 like this.
    09-16-15 10:26 PM
    I know all you android lovers WANT and HOPE this is going to be rootable but it won't be. Please get that through your heads. As much as you all keep wishing and hoping. BlackBerry has made it clear that if they can not "secure" android they won't do an android device. Secure means locked bootloader and NO root. BlackBerry has too much at stake to allow the phone to be rooted. I really wish you people would stop with the root dreams!!!
    I'm pretty sure rooting would be a benefit to anyone worried about Google. If you want no GPS, and no (IMO slightly irrational) fear of Google spyware then rooting is the only way to remove those apps. If you don't ever use any Google services, that hardly matters. If you are on the Internet, then you have much less privacy than someone who has never been on.
    09-16-15 11:08 PM
    So what if it can be rooted? So what if that can compromise security? Rooting involves a voluntary deed (unless you have a gun on your head which is a different thread).

If people want to do it, what's that got to do with the 98% of users who normally won't? Is Rooting a disease that can be caught via air? Will it compromise another non-rooted user just by being in the vicinity of a rooted phone?
    That whole reply was totally stupid. Rooting a phone is done through a security vulnerability. If BlackBerry is such a good security company that they claim to be, then you will never be able to root the phone. If someone figures out a way to root it, then BlackBerry is going to look bad and that will be the end for them as a security company.
    09-17-15 12:00 AM
    That whole reply was totally stupid. Rooting a phone is done through a security vulnerability. If BlackBerry is such a good security company that they claim to be, then you will never be able to root the phone. If someone figures out a way to root it, then BlackBerry is going to look bad and that will be the end for them as a security company.
    Maybe they add an option to allow it (so the Google haters here can do what they want). It would save the modders team from looking for a vulnerability.
    Last edited by ayngling; 09-17-15 at 12:43 AM. Reason: typo
    09-17-15 12:22 AM
    I would imagine BlackBerry will differentiate their phone by replicating the BBOS/BB10 secure boot process. If so, I'm pretty sure that would preclude making any unofficial changes to the boot process. My suspicion is that successfully gaining root access would auto brick the device at startup, as was the case on BBOS and BB10.

Posted via CB10
    ayngling and lift like this.
    09-17-15 12:40 AM
    Get this through your head: I don't care, wish, dream or hope it's rootable. IMO I think it will be rootable. "BlackBerry has made it clear.." Yip you right BlackBerry fulfill all their promises One of the few things that will stop me from getting it is a locked bootloader.

Posted via CB10
    09-17-15 08:14 AM

Samsung simply put a hardware in their devices to detect if a custom ROM has been installed, they display a warning triangle during the bootup. This, I think, is quite clever. You can't really make the device un-rootable.

Now to see how good BlackBerry's device is

Z10STL100-1/10.3.1.2576
    09-17-15 08:43 AM
    I was reading comments on Android Central about this. A couple of the people over there said if it's not rootable, then no way they would buy it. Some of them couldn't care if it's rootable or not. Guess we'll just have to wait and see what BlackBerry brings to the table.

Rocking a Z30 on Verizon
    Why would anyone want to root the Venice? It's custom keyboard and sliding mechanism kind of require a customized version of Android, no? And it's not as if BlackBerry is going to fill it with bloatware like Samsung.

Posted via CB10
    astrodan13 likes this.
    09-17-15 09:45 AM
46 12