Android OS and Android Apps (generally speaking) have a lot more settings/options than iOS and BBOS (never used BB10 so can't speak for it).

But, they're just that...options. You don't HAVE to dig into them, you don't have to use them, you don't have to change them. You can use pretty-much any app (and any phone) right out of the box with the stock settings. Don't change a thing...it'll work.

But, if you WANT to change things, tweak things...you can!!

Personally, I love options. I love making an app function the way *I* want the app to function, not necessarily the way the developer thought most people would prefer it.

I'm a heavy, heavy calendar user. So much so that the stock Android Calendar app simply cannot keep up so, I went shopping for a more robust app. I read several reviews on paid calendar apps. Then I came across a review for a app called "CalenGoo". The reviewer's only complaint was that the app had "too many" options/settings. I couldn't buy that sucker fast enough! That's the calendar app for me! (and he was right...the app has a RIDICULOUS amount of settings...it's awesome (do you want the "save" button on the left and the "cancel" button on the right, or vice versa? Did you want Save/Cancel at the top of the screen or the bottom?" - no joke, it's got THAT level of customization))

But, the bottom line is, you don't have to set all that crap up and dig that deep into it if you don't want to. Just like an iOS device, you can simply pick it up and use it. But the options are there if you want them.
    11-07-15 07:32 AM
    Incoherent and inconsistent is probably the description they were looking for not complicated. For basic use Android doesn't have a much harder learning curve than BB10 or iOS or WP but when it comes to little details and the actual flow it knows to get "stupid".

Due to the constant bottom navigation bar they had no choice but to put overflow menu in the apps on top bar. Considering the size of Android phones I don't know why they have allowed this decision to be OKed. There is too much hand travel.
    ssbtech likes this.
    11-07-15 07:39 AM
    Personally, I love options.
    Options are good! How about the option of having more than three mobile operating systems to choose from? We just lost a choice with BlackBerry's move to Android! If Microsoft can't make better headway into the mobile OS market, we will be down to two choices. That would be hard for those of us who love options.
    laplace52 likes this.
    11-07-15 07:47 AM
    Incoherent and inconsistent is probably the description they were looking for not complicated. For basic use Android doesn't have a much harder learning curve than BB10 or iOS or WP but when it comes to little details and the actual flow it knows to get "stupid".

Due to the constant bottom navigation bar they had no choice but to put overflow menu in the apps on top bar. Considering the size of Android phones I don't know why they have allowed this decision to be OKed. There is too much hand travel.
    Too much hand travel is a great way to say it and I completely agree. When I gave Android a shot about a year ago my hand was cramping/fatiguing doing very little. I'm a software developer so I type all day with no issue, but the way settings and app navigation buttons are positioned is cumbersome.
    11-07-15 07:54 AM
    having used all available OS's for mobile devices, hand travel is an issue on any device with a display over 5". (depending of course on hand size). The nature of android is one of open development and thus you get a lot of segmentation in UI experience.

the latest material guidelines for android I'm pretty sure encourage the use of menus that swipe open from the side as opposed to a menu accessible from a menu button on the top of the screen.

The beauty of android, there is an app that is capable of changing most any problem you have...

including several that allow the use of gestures to emulate key presses or perform actions like opening an apps menu (or anything else you can think of...)

I'll admit though, I use android a lot and so some of the inconvenience may be lost on me as i've just gotten used to it over the years....
    Gadget Fann likes this.
    11-07-15 08:44 AM
    Its just different. It happens on everyone. When you usually use windows (pc) then you use apple (mac) for the first time, then.. you probably feel the same.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-15 08:49 AM
    Leaving z30 and Z10 and 3 months stint when iPhone, it was hard and frustrating at first on Priv but now I love it and have got the hang of it. I had same issues on iPhone as well.
    I still think settings are better in bb10 (easier) but otherwise Priv kicks ***

posted from my Priv!
    11-07-15 08:53 AM
    As someone mentioned earlier in the thread, It's "Different", but not more complicated. Unless your definition of complication is "customizable", then you can say it's more complicated.

I have used every platform there is, many side by side. I've carried an Android 3.2 and currently have a 4.4. I have had Windows 8.1 and 10, I have had iPhone right up to the very latest update with Apple Music, and I have a BB 9900 and a BB10 device. They all have strengths and weaknesses. Sometimes the platform you get used to is the easiest and anything else is complicated.... for a while.... until you get used to that platform.

Android makes sense to me and is more or less intuitive to how my brain works. iOS is counter intuitive to me. The one large HOME button and constantly hunting for back buttons and menu buttons within the apps themselves, each one different, is one of the reasons I don't like iOS. That and the fact that the basic structure of iOS has not changed since the inception of the platform. Others think this is the best thing since sliced bread. It's VERY subjective.

The only fully intuitive smartphone OS that I have ever just picked up and ran with was BlackBerry. All of the others took at least a little getting used to.Android did not take long. I had that relatively mastered in a day or two. I have a feeling if whomever thinks it is too complicated would work with it for a week, their opinion may be different. Perhaps not. Again, it's very subjective and your personal thoughts on the platform will be highly influential. If you think it's WAY too complicated, then it probably will be.
    DueNorthBB and Adam Frix like this.
    11-07-15 08:53 AM
    Yes, I feel its the most complicated of all phone OS's.
    11-07-15 08:54 AM
    I use all three and mostly Android. I'd say android and bb10 are on part for ease of use and I'd say that iOS is actually the least intuitive.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    11-07-15 08:59 AM
    I really can't wait for Android fanboys/users to overrun CrackBerry
    11-07-15 09:01 AM
    I really can't wait for Android fanboys/users to overrun CrackBerry
    I've already been here for a while :P
    but I did own a classic when I joined
    achsfx likes this.
    11-07-15 09:22 AM
    Its just different. It happens on everyone. When you usually use windows (pc) then you use apple (mac) for the first time, then.. you probably feel the same.

Posted via CB10
    The opposite is true. Moving to OS X, I found everything to be laid out more simply and logically than Windows. The Finder is way more useful as well (Preview!). I'm currently using Windows for a host of professional reasons (performance, part choice, 10-bit color monitoring, program compatibility), but I'd much rather be using Snow Leopard or Arch Linux (maybe even the new Elementary OS).

Posted via CB10
    11-07-15 10:05 AM
    I use all three and mostly Android. I'd say android and bb10 are on part for ease of use and I'd say that iOS is actually the least intuitive.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    But iOS has a very easy to use Settings app/menu.

You may be right on the whole, however: without a file browser, iOS gets seriously confusing for power users (an irony that steered me away from iOS a few years ago...I just don't understand what is going on in the background or with the Photos app or any other Apple service).

Posted via CB10
    11-07-15 10:07 AM
    yeah elementary OS is pretty damn pretty....

I actually prefer windows over every other PC/laptop OS simply because I can customise it to do exactly what I need. but I can only do that because it is so popular and there are so many programs and mods for it.....and there are so many programs and mods because it is so popular...damn you bill gates.

And then there is the software I need and the games I want, it's all windows only.

So now I just run windows with a bunch of virtual machines and emulators so I can work in which ever OS makes me happy at that moment :P
    Xaiux likes this.
    11-07-15 10:34 AM
    If my 67-year-old dad can handle stock Android (he loves his Nexus 5), anyone can.
    As a 66 year old, I can hardly wait to hit 67 and find that I am drooling and incompetent. zipro many 67 year old people retain their brain cells. LOL If you had said your dad was 87, I might see validity to your comment.
    11-07-15 10:43 AM
    As a 66 year old, I can hardly wait to hit 67 and find that I am drooling and incompetent. zipro many 67 year old people retain their brain cells. LOL If you had said your dad was 87, I might see validity to your comment.
    <humor>
    oh no mate....you've only got 12 months....that guy said it on the internet....so it's probably a fact.
    </humor>

seriously though, age is irrelevant.....I've got friends my age (28) who have basically given up learning anything new but my mum eats up all the new tech I send her way.
    kitmo and JRF_1986 like this.
    11-07-15 10:51 AM
    I am really curious here I am no programmer by any means, if android is so amazingly customizable and so easily manipulated than why has this not been done so that those blackberry users can truly have the best of both worlds, all the millions of games from the play store with a fully customized bbos theme on top(the BBOS 10 look and fee gestures and all ).

Posted via CB10
    ssbtech likes this.
    11-07-15 11:01 AM
    I wouldn't say Android is complicated. I'd there they're are A LOT of settings!
    11-07-15 11:04 AM
    I am really curious here I am no programmer by any means, if android is so amazingly customizable and so easily manipulated than why has this not been done so that those blackberry users can truly have the best of both worlds, all the millions of games from the play store with a fully customized bbos theme on top(the BBOS 10 look and fee gestures and all ).

Posted via CB10
    just a few answers of the top of my head...

speed of updates...if blackberry skin android to look like their own OS it would mean longer times between google producing security patches or OS updates and blackberry being able to send them to their phones. this is the same struggle other manufacturers have had (samsung, HTC etc) who have their own heavily skinned versions of android, their users had to wait in excess of 6 months for OS updates.

Many manufacturers have started to buck this trend (motorolla, Sony) so that they can get updates to uses much faster.

Many of these updates are security related and in the press blackberry have said they will be passing on security updates within 30 days of them being made available by Google. this is a much easier process and a much more achievable goal with a more vanilla android based OS.

the other option is user created themes or mods and while android itself in its purest form is a very open OS, blackberry have had to lock it down to make it "blackberry" (security), this means a lot of the customizations the user could make to theme the phone are ruled out due to the lack of root access needed to modify the system apps.
    11-07-15 11:12 AM
    I am sorry. I did not explain myself very well. No disrespect intended. What I meant was simply and user applied theme. My question stems from the pluthera of users that have stated how easy it is alter the OS. Also taking into account that android is an open source operating system. Please correct me if that last part is irrelevant to my question lol.
    Also I am speaking about solely about android itself regardless the manufacturer

Posted via CB10
    ssbtech likes this.
    11-07-15 11:23 AM
    I don't like the interface in general.

1. BlackBerry and Apple use a single plane for all the apps and home screen, I find this simple and clean. Android has 2 planes Home screen and app drawer.

2. Open apps in BlackBerry are also on the same plane through active tiles, this gives easy app switching useful information from tiles and easy access to shut apps and save memory and battery in one easy accessible location.

IOS and android require a certain action to access the app switcher, and a separate interface "widgets" to get quick info.

Device search and hub etc...

Dunno...

BB10 feels more efficient hence easier.

Posted via CB10
    FF22 likes this.
    11-07-15 11:47 AM
    The most frustrating thing about android is having the slide out menus at the top. So much worse then bb10 that correctly has them at the bottom.

Oh and not being able to just swipe in apps to go back because they use that carousel.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-15 12:01 PM
    If my 67-year-old dad can handle stock Android (he loves his Nexus 5), anyone can.
    Hey, I resemble that age (and then some! sniff) But I hate HOME buttons (Samsung Tab S, here)
    11-07-15 12:02 PM
    The most frustrating thing about android is having the slide out menus at the top. So much worse then bb10 that correctly has them at the bottom.

Oh and not being able to just swipe in apps to go back because they use that carousel.

Posted via CB10
    Slide out menus slide out. You dont have to tap an icon just slide left to right.
    !
    11-07-15 12:07 PM
86 1234