We have two choices and only two: Google Play Services on an Android-based device, OR what we have now - an ever dwindling app ecosystem due to the lack of Google Play Services. There is no in between.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    I'm not really sure that's true. The BB10 ecosystem started off pretty strong. I enjoyed watching developers like Jerome and Nemory start to develop some apps that were arguably better than counterparts in the iOS world and Android world. Gary Klassen from BlackBerry pitched in Blend and Express and those were better. Then, John Chen killed developer relations and the platform started to stall. The board could just fire Chen and relaunch the BB10 effort with better leadership. Thor's plan was supposed to take five years, I'm not sure how far back we've been set by JC and the exodus of talent...

But, I'm pretty sure I'd by a Moto X Style Pure over BlackBerry Android, anyway. Any attempt to skin Android usually sucks. Maybe, I'd buy the BlackBerry Experience on Android with Hub. But, well, if the nextgen OSs like BB10 and Jolla aren't going anywhere, and we're going to move back to lastgen, I'd consider iOS or Windows 10 before Android. I think a lot of BlackBerry users will follow me in leaving and very few Android users would want a non-pure Android phone with a slider keyboard. Plus, margins will be small. Time to fire Chen.

Posted via CB10
    Mansoor2 likes this.
    08-15-15 04:56 PM
    I'm not really sure that's true. The BB10 ecosystem started off pretty strong. I enjoyed watching developers like Jerome and Nemory start to develop some apps that were arguably better than counterparts in the iOS world and Android world. Gary Klassen from BlackBerry pitched in Blend and Express and those were better. Then, John Chen killed developer relations and the platform started to stall. The board could just fire Chen and relaunch the BB10 effort with better leadership. Thor's plan was supposed to take five years, I'm not sure how far back we've been set by JC and the exodus of talent...

But, I'm pretty sure I'd by a Moto X Style Pure over BlackBerry Android, anyway. Any attempt to skin Android usually sucks. Maybe, I'd buy the BlackBerry Experience on Android with Hub. But, well, if the nextgen OSs like BB10 and Jolla aren't going anywhere, and we're going to move back to lastgen, I'd consider iOS or Windows 10 before Android. I think a lot of BlackBerry users will follow me in leaving and very few Android users would want a non-pure Android phone with a slider keyboard. Plus, margins will be small. Time to fire Chen.

Posted via CB10
    Agree completely. When the slider was announced, I didn't like that there would be a pkb but the better specs, bigger screen and curved edges were enough to make me still want to buy this device. Then when people started saying it was android, I got mad. If i wanted a big phone with great specs, BlackBerry is the last place I'd look. The only reason I'm still with BB10 is because of the software, not hardware.

Now, even if the Slider was released with 2 different versions, BB10 and Android (very unlikely), I still wouldn't stay with BlackBerry because they wouldn't continue to support the BB10 version for much longer (ex. playbook, bb legacy os...).

Everyone, we've lost the battle. I hate to say it, but Blackberry is dead. Not many people will want their phones if they have android because, what's the point? The only reason they'd stay is because of the keyboard... oh wait, samsung just released one. Or maybe it's because of security... oh wait, this is Android we're talking about. Or maybe BlackBerry actually succeeds in securing Android... oh wait, less than 1% of the population cares about pkb's and security (as was evident with BB10). Now they're wasting money and resources by once again, switching to a different os.

Now, let's talk about reasons why BlackBerry will fail once they switch to Android os. First, they'll probably have to remove the runtime from bb10 devices which means they'll lose users from those phones. Second, let's look at HTC. They're barely staying adrift because in the Android world, it's all about getting the newest/best specs for the lowest price. Now let's look at the Slider. Not only is it coming with high-end specs (which BlackBerry is known for only releasing if the device costs an arm and a leg), but it's also coming with curved edges (which Samsung is struggling to manufacture, and are expensive) and a pkb. Third, a switch to Android will show everyone that they were right, BlackBerry is dying and this is their last attempt. That's a problem because people don't want to buy a phone that is DOA.

Hate to be so negative guys but, face the facts. BB10 roadmap is dead, leaked pics all show Android os, the hypervisor is a fantasy (if it wasn't, would it solve anything? Google likely won't let them have Google Play Services because it's not pure Android (among other reasons))...

Idk about you guys, but once my hypothesis is confirmed, I'm switching back to my iPhone (Windows Phone 10 looks cool, but they don't have the apps, and tbh, their os is pretty slow).
    7onZ likes this.
    08-15-15 06:26 PM
    What is the logic behind needing to remove the BlackBerry Android runtime if the slider goes full android... Doesn't make any sense.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    AdamThatsIt and Avenzuno like this.
    08-15-15 06:34 PM
    ... You got t the deal.
    08-15-15 07:38 PM
    What is the logic behind needing to remove the BlackBerry Android runtime if the slider goes full android... Doesn't make any sense.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    Compliance with the OHA agreement, I suspect. Can't have Android apps on a competing OS if you sign the agreement from what I understand.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by 00stryder; 08-15-15 at 10:28 PM.
    08-15-15 08:26 PM
    Compliance with the OH agreement, I suspect. Can't have Android apps on a competing OS if you sign the agreement from what I understand.

Posted via CB10
    If they want Google play on their full android correct? But the old devices won't officially support that... so it doesn't break the rules.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    extisis likes this.
    08-15-15 08:37 PM
    Compliance with the OH agreement, I suspect. Can't have Android apps on a competing OS if you sign the agreement from what I understand.

Posted via CB10
    How could they force the android runtime off existing BB10 phones??

Q10 on 10.3.2.2204
    08-15-15 08:46 PM

Q10 on 10.3.2.2204
    Again I don't know for sure, just what I've read here on the forum. But apparently Android OEMs can't have GPS on their devices if they sell devices with competing software, i.e. a different OS. Which, if you think about it, is pretty reasonable. But again, just what I've read.

Posted via CB10
    08-15-15 10:51 PM
    Unlikely. Why would HTC, LG, and all the others want to give BlackBerry special consideration?

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    Was thinking Google will give BlackBerry what they cant give to HTC and others since BlackBerry helped them on BES12?

Posted via BlackBerry Z10  
    08-16-15 02:08 AM
    Guys, I'm no expert, I'm just like you guys, I love my BlackBerry because it delivers everything I need and the idea of bb10 disappearing fills me with dread.

But here's my question. How can they kill bb10? They've been pushing bb10 into government, banking, medical etc etc. They can't just walk away from that. And that's all because of the security this people NEED. Maybe with consumers they can do what they want and offer android but there's just no way they can kill bb10 semi-over night. I can't see them launching a android device with the same level of security that these group of customers currently enjoy and swapping them all over. Even with bes etc, surely that's not doable yet???? I may be wrong, but just wanted to put a slightly different spin on it. Thx

Posted via CB10
    00stryder and John Villareal like this.
    08-16-15 04:29 AM
    Guys, I'm no expert, I'm just like you guys, I love my BlackBerry because it delivers everything I need and the idea of bb10 disappearing fills me with dread.

But here's my question. How can they kill bb10? They've been pushing bb10 into government, banking, medical etc etc. They can't just walk away from that. And that's all because of the security this people NEED. Maybe with consumers they can do what they want and offer android but there's just no way they can kill bb10 semi-over night. I can't see them launching a android device with the same level of security that these group of customers currently enjoy and swapping them all over. Even with bes etc, surely that's not doable yet???? I may be wrong, but just wanted to put a slightly different spin on it. Thx

Posted via CB10
    I agree, perhaps we will see full security solutions end to end using BB10 dedicated to high security enterprise needs like govt health army and secured Android devices for consumers\employee with less security concerns with BlackBerry layer incl hub gestures bbm ...

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    08-16-15 04:51 AM

Posted via CB10
    I agree on this; however it's not a one night transition if BlackBerry is really going towards Android. In regards to your question, well it's not of a question, they're already doing it now by releasing another option for the consumer, if the assumption on these leaks are right of course. Let's just say BlackBerry is experimenting, but business will always goes where there is profit. And BB10 failed to provide that to make the turn around. BES 12 is promising because it can support other platforms. Sure OSs outside BB10 maybe less secured, but BES 12 is marketed to provide support for this OS and BB10 is unable to generate enough profit with less than 1% market share. So it's not a news really if BlackBerry transits to another OS just to make it's turn around successful. If they still provides beta for BB10 development not everyone would make this Android SLider a big deal, because we'll know that BlackBerry is still supporting BB10, but since 10.3.2 had been released only for the latest qwerty phones, older BB10 device users feel the dread for BB10 of disappearing. The fact that BlackBerry is still silent on this makes it even worst.
    08-16-15 05:20 AM
    Again I don't know for sure, just what I've read here on the forum. But apparently Android OEMs can't have GPS on their devices if they sell devices with competing software, i.e. a different OS. Which, if you think about it, is pretty reasonable. But again, just what I've read.

Posted via CB10
    As I understand it, it's not that they can't be selling devices with other OSes; it's that they can't be selling devices with competing versions of Android.
    00stryder likes this.
    08-16-15 05:57 AM
    - I don't know if the final device will be Android or BB10. All I know is the device I played with had Android Lollipop and when I asked if it was going to be 10 or Droid, I was told "heavily skinned Droid".

- I don't have any pictures of the keypad that im prepared to share im afraid.

- Only had the device in my hand for a couple seconds.. Didn't open any apps ..so maybe you're better off taking the reddit user's experience. I did open mail and exit swiping up. Which is how I know BB10 gestures were there. (even if that's the only one I tried lol)

- I'll try and answer questions going forward, but please bear in mind that there's not a lot I can confirm. I don't even know if I was using a finished model.

Posted via CB10
    RubenDM, 7onZ and BB-JAM215 like this.
    08-16-15 08:25 AM
    Hi Mikey, how bout the icon of apps is it looks like BB10 or android? Thanks

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2339
    08-16-15 08:33 AM
    No mention I'm afraid. Was very limited it what I could do and ask.

Posted via CB10
    Do you know if the Slider is a forked Android or a fully Google Play Store compliant device?

Posted via CB10
    08-16-15 08:45 AM

Q10 on 10.3.2.2204
    They can't. But they can remove it from future updates.

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2339
    08-16-15 08:52 AM

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    OHA rules. Once manufacturing a compliant pure Android device, you can't manufacture a competing non-compliant product.

08-16-15 09:00 AM
    - I don't know if the final device will be Android or BB10. All I know is the device I played with had Android Lollipop and when I asked if it was going to be 10 or Droid, I was told "heavily skinned Droid".

- I don't have any pictures of the keypad that im prepared to share im afraid.

- Only had the device in my hand for a couple seconds.. Didn't open any apps ..so maybe you're better off taking the reddit user's experience. I did open mail and exit swiping up. Which is how I know BB10 gestures were there. (even if that's the only one I tried lol)

- I'll try and answer questions going forward, but please bear in mind that there's not a lot I can confirm. I don't even know if I was using a finished model.

Posted via CB10
    Is it laggy like an android?

Posted via CB10
    08-16-15 09:26 AM
    Is it laggy like an android?

Posted via CB10
    I really like to know this too. Does swiping right, left, up and down lags a bit? What's the look of a home screen? Does it have live tile previews too for apps minimized?

Clickety-Clack via CB10
    pttptppt likes this.
    08-16-15 09:44 AM
    Well it's nice to know that a version of the slider is running android but has lots of skins that make it look as much like bb10 as possible.

Still not happy about the android core, but if it makes BlackBerry more money. I'm happy for them. Just keep producing BB10 devices

Posted via CB10
    bigjman likes this.
    08-16-15 10:04 AM
    Whats BlackBerry's current revenue from app sales and app store? How will they ofset that?

And I can bet, that slider will be bb10 u guys kill the bb10 too fast )
    08-16-15 10:16 AM
    I wonder if older bb10 devices will be able to install the android version

Posted via CB10
    08-16-15 10:19 AM
    Was thinking Google will give BlackBerry what they cant give to HTC and others since BlackBerry helped them on BES12?

Posted via BlackBerry Z10  
    When you think of the art of the business deal this makes sense. BlackBerry helps shore up security for Android through BES, and BlackBerry receives preferential treatment for its hardware similar to that received by Samsung.

Posted via CB 10 | STA100-3 Z30 | OS 10.3.2.858
    John Villareal likes this.
    08-16-15 10:29 AM
    When you think of the art of the business deal this makes sense. BlackBerry helps shore up security for Android through BES, and BlackBerry receives preferential treatment for its hardware similar to that received by Samsung.

Posted via CB 10 | STA100-3 Z30 | OS 10.3.2.858
    BlackBerry is not helping Android with BES support. BlackBerry is feeding off Android's user base. There is no quid pro quo. There are plenty of other MDM solutions out there if BlackBerry refused to support the largest mobile install base in the world.

extisis and eyesopen1111 like this.
    08-16-15 10:32 AM
360 ... 89101112 ...