^^^^THIS!!

 Posted by Passport, BlackBerry's Beast 
    Same here. The whole experience in BB10 is the reason why I like BB10. With out all the gestures , active windows, and hub it's no the same
    08-10-15 05:04 PM
    It's all speculation as of now, but there's also a lot of denial here. Rumours are pretty strong pointing towards an android OS.

Really ask yourself... are you jumping ship because the alternative will be better suited for you or is it the principle behind the fact that BlackBerry has found another solution(for now but to be determined)?

I for one here would most likely think it's the latter.

I personally don't like the idea that BlackBerry has had to team up with a competitor, but remember what BlackBerry was formerly known for. Secured devices. BlackBerry was the pinnacle of pioneering the smartphone industry. Apple and Google expanded on top of that. All what BlackBerry is doing here is that it's going to take its competitors strongest features and implementing their own designs.

Apple, Microsoft, nor Google could not add anymore to their OS. You could think that BlackBerry is actually the ONLY thing that's missing in all other platforms. It's not the other way around because they cannot do what BlackBerry CAN do.

Let that mentality sink in for a bit and put your pride away. There is something to be proud of with BlackBerry still.

Posted via CB10
    08-10-15 05:08 PM
    And you know this because you have the OHA agreement to reference?

Here is what I have read. BlackBerry can get Google Play Services without becoming an OHA member. It has to built off the AOSP( there is nothing that said a hypervisor or runtime couldn't be used in the Android CDD but the Android version used must be AOSP), they run it against the Google CTS, and if it passes then they are running "compatible Android". They may then apply to Google for GPS.

Xiaomi is not an OHA member, but their devices can add GPS if taken out of China. Sierraware, a company with an ARM based hypervisor claims they can run an Android with GPS on top of the Hypervisor. BlackBerry should be able to do the same with their QNX hypervisor as it is the same principle. Have BB10 running as a Guest OS and a full Android AOSP with GPS running as another Guest OS.

Here is the Sierraware link http://www.sierraware.com/android_virtualization.html

Posted via Z30
    You keep saying that there is no documentation but that isn't true.

Here is a link to an old OHA agreement.

Samsung Mobile Application Distribution Agreement
    www.benedelman.org/docs/samsung-mada.pdf

Look at the Definition of "Device.". It specifies that the device to which a license is granted runs "only" Android OS.

Of course, Google could change this nut it doesn't seem likely.

Posted via CB10
    08-10-15 05:36 PM
    Is it a possibility that BlackBerry could pay to license, instead of opting for the free option? I.E. the benefit to Google is money and the benefit to Blackberry is access to GPS?
    08-10-15 05:45 PM
    Is it a possibility that BlackBerry could pay to license, instead of opting for the free option? I.E. the benefit to Google is money and the benefit to Blackberry is access to GPS?
    How much money would it take to buy off Google, LG, Samsung, HTC, and all the other device manufacturers of the OHA to waive all of their strict requirements for exclusive dispensation?

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    spike12 likes this.
    08-10-15 05:51 PM
    How much money would it take to buy off Google, LG, Samsung, HTC, and all the other device manufacturers of the OHA to waive all of their strict requirements for exclusive dispensation?

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    That is the million/billion/trilllion dollar question.. But would LG, etc have any claim to the licensing fees? it would be only to google, since they own the license?
    08-10-15 05:56 PM
    That is the million/billion/trilllion dollar question.. But would LG, etc have any claim to the licensing fees? it would be only to google, since they own the license?
    All those other folks are members of the OHA, and have a say (albeit a smaller say) in what happens. If Google suddenly makes an exception for BlackBerry after denying Acer and others already, I'm sure that would not go down well.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    Last edited by conite; 08-10-15 at 09:03 PM.
    spike12 likes this.
    08-10-15 05:58 PM
    Google has to keep peace with all the OEMs. What it does for BlackBerry, it has to do for everyone else.

Posted via CB10
    spike12 likes this.
    08-10-15 05:58 PM
    You keep saying that there is no documentation but that isn't true.

Here is a link to an old OHA agreement.

Samsung Mobile Application Distribution Agreement
    www.benedelman.org/docs/samsung-mada.pdf

Look at the Definition of "Device.". It specifies that the device to which a license is granted runs "only" Android OS.

Of course, Google could change this nut it doesn't seem likely.

Posted via CB10
    That agreement was done in January 2011. Says at the beginning that the term of the agreement is two years. So they would have had two different agreements negotiated through till today which could be, and likely are very different from this one as technology, and agreements associated with it change rapidly.

Posted via Z30
    08-10-15 08:19 PM
    That agreement was done in January 2011. Says at the beginning that the term of the agreement is two years. So they would have had two different agreements negotiated through till today which could be, and likely are very different from this one as technology, and agreements associated with it change rapidly.

Posted via Z30
    Anything could be possible but not everything is likely. What you are suggesting is not likely.

Posted via CB10
    08-10-15 08:59 PM
    Yes but would anyone looking at a device know if it were running on top of a hypervisor? If BlackBerry were having theses devices floating around, and clearly can't keep people from posting pics and videos, would they have seeded out the final devices? They could be be just giving out devices running the Hypervisor and Lollipop, and not a second guest OS and most people would be non the wiser because a good hypervisor implementation should do that. I'd like to see what the reboot cycle on one of these devices looks like and compare it to the boot cycle on an LG G4. If they are not identical in time, and the BlackBerry one takes longer, then very possible some more stuff happening underneath than just pure Lollipop.

Posted via Z30
    When you boot up the slider, the first thing you see is 'powered by Android'. So maybe the hypervisor is there, but I do not think so

Posted via CB10
    08-10-15 10:33 PM
    When you boot up the slider, the first thing you see is 'powered by Android'. So maybe the hypervisor is there, but I do not think so

Posted via CB10
    Check your pm

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2339 ftw!!
    08-10-15 10:34 PM

Posted via CB10
    The hypervisor could be programmed to do that since BlackBerry would be programming and coding the Hypervisor. So that isn't a definite. However based on the Upstream podcast, and how horribly John Chen has handled BB10 and hardware, my guess is he is selling out and will do the minimum and just run Android. Never though Mt I would say this, but bring back Mike L or Heins!

Posted via Z30
    chgaida likes this.
    08-11-15 07:33 AM
    Definitely has the same feel. Really did feel like I was using my BlackBerry, but inside Android.

Posted via CB10
    Is there a VKB? If there is, is it the one from BlackBerry 10?

Posted via CB10
    08-11-15 08:38 AM
    Check your pm

Usman, what do you know about this? You sneaky.

Z30STA100-2/10.3.1.2582 O2 UK
    ptpete likes this.
    08-11-15 01:13 PM
    Very interesting indeed.

Looks like BB10 devices will soon be in the same category with my 9900... Legacy devices.

Posted from an ME173X
    Two of the best devices ever?
    08-11-15 01:27 PM
    Forgive me, but what's a hypervisor?

Posted via CB10
    08-11-15 06:40 PM
    Forgive me, but what's a hypervisor?
    Here's the official explanation from BlackBerry's QNX subsidurary:
    The QNX� Hypervisor is a realtime Type 1 virtualization solution for connected embedded systems. By using the QNX Hypervisor, embedded developers can consolidate multiple operating systems ("guests") onto a single compute platform or system-on-a-chip (SoC) to reduce the cost, size, weight and power of their system designs while maintaining clean separation and isolation of critical and non-critical applications.

QNX is a Linux based real-time operating system used in about 60 million cars and in other devices and control systems.

Some see the Hypervisor's ability to run more than one operating system as a way to combine the BlackBerry 10 OS and Android OS in one device, but there are problems in implementing that approach, and its looking more and more like the new slider will be pure Android with the BlackBerry Experience Suite.
    e4diesel and shuabert like this.
    08-11-15 06:48 PM
    Is there a VKB? If there is, is it the one from BlackBerry 10?

Posted via CB10
    I actually have a picture of that. Perhaps I'll upload it here when I won't get in trouble for it.

Posted via CB10
    08-12-15 01:35 AM
    Hey Mikey do you know if there is an SD card slot? And less likey but is there a removable battery?

Posted via CB10
    08-12-15 01:39 AM
    I actually have a picture of that. Perhaps I'll upload it here when I won't get in trouble for it.

Posted via CB10
    Much appreciated if you can! Thanks

08-12-15 01:39 AM

Posted via CB10
    Edit it to show only the device and any possible "markings" blurred out. Or send it to bla1ze and he would edit it for you I am sure. I would love to see that pic. Same time if you are not comfortable with either suggestion I fully understand. Thanks for all you have said so far. Seems it will be interesting times ahead.

Posted via CB10
    08-12-15 02:25 AM
    Hey Mikey do you know if there is an SD card slot? And less likey but is there a removable battery?

Posted via CB10
    SD - Yes, Battery - Did not look, but judging on how light it felt, i'm leaning to say no.

Posted via CB10
    08-12-15 02:54 AM
    Miracle lol maybe those s6 edge users who hate the no sd slot but love the screen will take a look at this phone. Thanks for the reply.

Posted via CB10
    Xaiux likes this.
    08-12-15 05:24 AM
    Or what if!!!

Android is the "personal account"
    BB10 is the "work account".

O_o

Posted via CB10
    08-12-15 12:09 PM
360 ... 45678 ...