I'm starting to lean towards the idea that it's going to be running Android with some bb10 features. If they go this route, I really hope it's heavily skinned.

Posted via CB10
    08-10-15 07:46 AM
    I really hope it turns out the secured android OS is being tested on Venice hardware and that's all we are seeing. If the slider runs android and they don't release an OS10 device within my upgrade schedule I will be going iPhone unless WP10 really impresses me.
    theGUNNER likes this.
    08-10-15 07:50 AM
    The problem is still the OHA. Google is not able to allow only BlackBerry to break the rules. So, no Google play for bb10. Point. Full stop. End of discussion. It is hard but that a the rules.

Posted via CB10
    And you know this because you have the OHA agreement to reference?

Here is what I have read. BlackBerry can get Google Play Services without becoming an OHA member. It has to built off the AOSP( there is nothing that said a hypervisor or runtime couldn't be used in the Android CDD but the Android version used must be AOSP), they run it against the Google CTS, and if it passes then they are running "compatible Android". They may then apply to Google for GPS.

Xiaomi is not an OHA member, but their devices can add GPS if taken out of China. Sierraware, a company with an ARM based hypervisor claims they can run an Android with GPS on top of the Hypervisor. BlackBerry should be able to do the same with their QNX hypervisor as it is the same principle. Have BB10 running as a Guest OS and a full Android AOSP with GPS running as another Guest OS.

Here is the Sierraware link http://www.sierraware.com/android_virtualization.html

Posted via Z30
    08-10-15 08:13 AM
    Whatever the final outcome - I hope the Slider turns out to be an awesome device, decent(can't ask for and/or expect more) battery, and adequate sales......leading into an impending FT that will probably be the same. The day of the hybrid device is just around the corner.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    08-10-15 08:22 AM
    And you know this because you have the OHA agreement to reference?

Here is what I have read. BlackBerry can get Google Play Services without becoming an OHA member. It has to built off the AOSP( there is nothing that said a hypervisor or runtime couldn't be used in the Android CDD but the Android version used must be AOSP), they run it against the Google CTS, and if it passes then they are running "compatible Android". They may then apply to Google for GPS.

Xiaomi is not an OHA member, but their devices can add GPS if taken out of China. Sierraware, a company with an ARM based hypervisor claims they can run an Android with GPS on top of the Hypervisor. BlackBerry should be able to do the same with their QNX hypervisor as it is the same principle. Have BB10 running as a Guest OS and a full Android AOSP with GPS running as another Guest OS.

Here is the Sierraware link http://www.sierraware.com/android_virtualization.html

Posted via Z30
    Whole heartedly agree to disagree. I already addressed three two points earlier.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    08-10-15 08:45 AM
    Whole heartedly agree to disagree. I already addressed three two points earlier.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    And you have zero documentation to back your points. Just your interpretation and quotes from Google on a previous incident that do not formally state any rules. Acer was developing a phone to run a forked version of Android. If BlackBerry certifies the runtime with Google, or runs a complete and certified version with the hypervisor, then it is not forked Android and doesn't match your example or the quotes from Google.

Posted via Z30
    08-10-15 09:01 AM
    And you have zero documentation to back your points. Just your interpretation and quotes from Google on a previous incident that do not formally state any rules. Acer was developing a phone to run a forked version of Android. If BlackBerry certifies the runtime with Google, or runs a complete and certified version with the hypervisor, then it is not forked Android and doesn't match your example or the quotes from Google.

Posted via Z30
    We have a difference of opinion for sure. In some ways I wish I believed yours. Although I don't think your proposed implementation (which I still don't believe Google would allow) is in any way feasible - building a 100% certified Android on top of some type of QNX kernel seems hopelessly expensive and difficult to support.

The fact that the Slider appears to be running pure Lollipop (as stated by a few people that have seen it), this debate is probably moot anyway.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    08-10-15 09:19 AM
    We have a difference of opinion for sure. In some ways I wish I believed yours. Although I don't think your proposed implementation is in any way feasible - building a 100% certified Android on top of some type of QNX kernel seems hopelessly expensive and difficult to support.

The fact that the Slider appears to be running pure Lollipop (as stated by a few people that have seen it), this debate is probably moot anyway.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    Yes but would anyone looking at a device know if it were running on top of a hypervisor? If BlackBerry were having theses devices floating around, and clearly can't keep people from posting pics and videos, would they have seeded out the final devices? They could be be just giving out devices running the Hypervisor and Lollipop, and not a second guest OS and most people would be non the wiser because a good hypervisor implementation should do that. I'd like to see what the reboot cycle on one of these devices looks like and compare it to the boot cycle on an LG G4. If they are not identical in time, and the BlackBerry one takes longer, then very possible some more stuff happening underneath than just pure Lollipop.

Posted via Z30
    ptpete likes this.
    08-10-15 09:25 AM
    @lnichols - I am not sure comparing the boot times means much. I have a stock Nexus 6 which I run with encryption. It takes just about as long as my Passport to boot.
    08-10-15 09:34 AM
    @lnichols - I am not sure comparing the boot times means much. I have a stock Nexus 6 which I run with encryption. It takes just about as long as my Passport to boot.
    Which is why I said very possible. A well implemented hypervisor would be invisible to the end user and the user would think they are running only Android. My hope is worse case that BlackBerry ships a phone that is Android running on the Hypervisor, and when you power on the device and run through the setup you have the option to download a BB10 VM for your device, or an option in the setting or an app preloaded in the device to launch the download. The boot would say powered by Android to satisfy whatever requirements, but it would really be QNX in control and you can add Bb10 as the Value add for purchasing the BlackBerry "Android" device. The alternative of only pure Android will push me to iOS. If BlackBerry is giving up completely on BB10, like they did with my PlayBook, then I'll give up on them. They simply will have abandoned too much potential for me to give them any more rope.

Posted via Z30
    ptpete likes this.
    08-10-15 09:42 AM
    Which is why I said very possible. A well implemented hypervisor would be invisible to the end user and the user would think they are running only Android. My hope is worse case that BlackBerry ships a phone that is Android running on the Hypervisor, and when you power on the device and run through the setup you have the option to download a BB10 VM for your device, or an option in the setting or an app preloaded in the device to launch the download. The boot would say powered by Android to satisfy whatever requirements, but it would really be QNX in control and you can add Bb10 as the Value add for purchasing the BlackBerry "Android" device. The alternative of only pure Android will push me to iOS. If BlackBerry is giving up completely on BB10, like they did with my PlayBook, then I'll give up on them. They simply will have abandoned too much potential for me to give them any more rope.

Posted via Z30
    I absolutely hope that in the worst case your speculations are accurate. Best case is this is just testing for a secured android running blackberry hardware but final release of the slider will be BB OS10.3.3.
    anon(4067838) likes this.
    08-10-15 09:52 AM
    At the end of the day the money is in the app store and Google services. OHA be damned, but I believe the rules will change and benefit BB, but the change will not because of BB. Windows 10 has the potential to be a wide open marketplace, this would be the compelling reason to change the rules to add external growth verticals to Google's App Store.
    08-10-15 09:55 AM
    Who wants a slider ........... and especially with Android!!!!!!????

just get a cool, modern designed 5" or 5.5" full touch with awesome specs and BB10 and let the berry juice flow !!!!

Why complicate things so much!???? I know a few that would jump into buying one on the day it would be relaesed (myself included), especially if it had a good price tag. This is what the majority of people want !!!! and then ...... BB could make another device for the niche market with keyboard, slider, etc. etc.

What is so difficult BB????

I have defended BB against everything and everyone in the last couple of years, we all know that a full touch, top "speced" device would sell, so just do it, cos i am getting sick and tired of all these experiences with this and that and the other .....

THE OPINION FROM A FRUSTRATED BB LOVER WHOSE PACIENCE IS NEAR THE END .............
    08-10-15 10:40 AM
    08-10-15 10:53 AM

just get a cool, modern designed 5" or 5.5" full touch with awesome specs and BB10 and let the berry juice flow !!!!

Why complicate things so much!???? I know a few that would jump into buying one on the day it would be relaesed (myself included), especially if it had a good price tag. This is what the majority of people want !!!! and then ...... BB could make another device for the niche market with keyboard, slider, etc. etc.

I have defended BB against everything and everyone in the last couple of years, we all know that a full touch, top "speced" device would sell, so just do it, cos i am getting sick and tired of all these experiences with this and that and the other .....

THE OPINION FROM A FRUSTRATED BB LOVER WHOSE PACIENCE IS NEAR THE END .............
    If they're going to test the waters with one device, might as well make a modern slider to try and satisfy both camps - maybe not all, but probably most.

I for one like the all-touch form factor, but will gladly pick this one up. I think it is a reasonable compromise.

The people who have used it claim it is respectably light and thin.

Just wait until it comes out before you head to Waterloo with pitchforks.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    08-10-15 10:57 AM
    Not entirely sure, it had Lollipop. Unsure of version numbers as I've never really owned an Android. Note, The Hub and BlackBerry gestures were there tho.

Posted via CB10
    Since you've already spelled the beans on gestures, can you tell us if they are the same gestures? Is it still swipe up and to the right for the hub and swipe up to exist apps? One last question, is the multitasking screen with active windows still there?
    Thanks
    Last edited by fadi.alsaidi; 08-10-15 at 01:23 PM.
    08-10-15 11:17 AM
    Every Slider blackberry has ever made has bombed in Sales. This one will be no different, no android user would jump ship with their current manufacturer, as long as it says Blackberry on the device even if it does have full access to Google services and running android for an OS. It will be another copy cat phone with heavy influence from Samsung with a slide out keyboard.

What they need is a updated ahead of the curve full touch device, not made with industry recycled parts from 2 product cycles back in hardware, cpu, camera etc..
    08-10-15 11:27 AM
    Every Slider blackberry has ever made has bombed in Sales. This one will be no different, no android user would jump ship with their current manufacturer, as long as it says Blackberry on the device even if it does have full access to Google services and running android for an OS. It will be another copy cat phone with heavy influence from Samsung with a slide out keyboard.

What they need is a updated ahead of the curve full touch device, not made with industry recycled parts from 2 product cycles back in hardware, cpu, camera etc..
    At least it's a differentiating factor in the Android world. The BB10 skin by itself won't bring people in droves - people can buy the experience suite if that's all they wanted.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    08-10-15 11:31 AM
    Chen said Android would be considered if they can secure it, so this is a very welcome possibility. I would definitely drop my Nexus 5 for it to rock along with my PP.
    08-10-15 01:06 PM

I'm not convinced that anything that says Blackberry on it can sell well these days, going Android may be the last hope, we will see.
    08-10-15 01:13 PM
    May have just been an inhouse test device???

 Posted by Passport, BlackBerry's Beast 
    Who knows, although I can't imagine much is gonna change with a couple months to go.

Posted via CB10
    08-10-15 02:53 PM
    I'm starting to lean towards the idea that it's going to be running Android with some bb10 features. If they go this route, I really hope it's heavily skinned.

Posted via CB10
    It is.

Posted via CB10
    tufcustomer likes this.
    08-10-15 02:54 PM
    Since you've already spelled the beans on gestures, can you tell us if they are the same gestures? Is it still swipe up and to the right for the hub and swipe up to exist apps? One last question, is the multitasking screen with active windows still there?
    Thanks
    08-10-15 02:54 PM
    Thanks
    That's actually a good point. I didn't see that. But the device was a test device so who knows. In regards to the peak feature (swiping up and to the right of apps to see the Hub), I didn't try that. The hub was there though.

Posted via CB10
    fadi.alsaidi likes this.
    08-10-15 02:59 PM
    I absolutely hope that in the worst case your speculations are accurate. Best case is this is just testing for a secured android running blackberry hardware but final release of the slider will be BB OS10.3.3.
    ^^^^THIS!!

 Posted by Passport, BlackBerry's Beast 
    08-10-15 04:28 PM
360 ... 34567 ...