I can be on board too if the BlackBerry security is still there. I just want a phone that will meet my needs. Could care less what the platform is.
    08-09-15 01:38 PM
    The Android American Airlines app requires Google play services. It keeps asking me to install. Obviously I can't on a Z30. Yet the app works for me. It allows me to check-in, generates the boarding pass bar code, & gives me updates on my flights.
    08-09-15 01:42 PM
    When Google stopped Acer's from making a device with Aliyun OS, that pretty much sums it up.

The phone was running a slightly forked version of Android. Not only would Google not provide Google Play Services for Aliyun, but they told Acer that they would be kicked out of the OHA if they released it. Acer relented and cancelled it. Loss of OHA membership would have meant the loss of Google Play Services on their pure Android devices.

Google said this: "All members of the OHA have committed to building ONE Android platform and to not ship non-compatible Android devices.".

We also know that OHA requires that all of the Google Mobile Apps are pre-installed, and that the Google Play Store is the primary app store. It also must say "powered by Android" on boot.

I'm not sure what else there is to say about this.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    Again you don't have the documentation. You are making assumptions. Sierraware has a hypervisor that they say allows a version of Android to run with full Google play services support, and other OS too. How can they say this based on all of you OHA experts on this board say it is not possible for BlackBerry to use a QNX based Hypervisor to do the same thing? How is Xiaomi device able to get Google Play services installed outside of China if they are not OHA member? Please tell me oh OHA experts who know not what the OHA documentation says explicitly, but have written it based on Google media quote snippets.

Here is what Google says is needed to do:

Android compatibility is free, and it's easy
    To build an Android-compatible mobile device, follow this three-step process:

Obtain the Android software source code. This is the source code for the Android platform that you port to your hardware.

Comply with the Android Compatibility Definition Document (CDD). The CDD enumerates the software and hardware requirements of a compatible Android device.

Pass the Compatibility Test Suite (CTS). Use the CTS as an ongoing aid to evaluate compatibility during the development process.

After complying with the CDD and passing the CTS, your device is Android compatible, meaning Android apps in the ecosystem provide a consistent experience when running on your device. For details about the Android compatibility program, see the program overview.

Licensing Google Mobile Services (GMS)

After building an Android compatible device, consider licensing Google Mobile Services (GMS), Google�s proprietary suite of apps (Google Play, YouTube, Google Maps, Gmail, and more ) that run on top of Android. GMS is not part of the Android Open Source Project and is available only through a license with Google. For information on how to request a GMS license, see Contact Us.
    Now I looked over the CDD, and I see nothing thing that prohibits BlackBerry from implementing Android AOSP and BB10 with a hypervisor, use AOSP to pass the compatibility suite and follow the CDD, and then apply for license of the GMS. But I'm sure you experts here can tell me why Sierraware is wrong, and why BlackBerry can't do it and why you experts are right.

Posted via Z30
    08-09-15 03:05 PM
    We'll see. Since you are not an OHA member and no one has the rules that is not a member, I'll wait to see what plays out. Google provides Google Play Services for iOS, so clearly Google Play Services can be added to device that is not Android based if Google decides to do it.

Posted via Z30
    Actually copies of the OHA agreement between Google and Samsung were produced as part of the Oracle/Google Java case.

There are a few things that need to be understood. Google can make apps for anyone and for any platform. It chooses to make apps for iOS because there is a large installed base. Google used to make apps for BlackBerry back when BlackBerry was more popular. If BlackBerry could have convinced Google to build BB10 Apps, it would have done that by now. BlackBerry's position over time has only gotten weaker. Thus the odds that BlackBerry could do this now are really slim.

If you are a member of the OHA, it put restrictions on you, not on Google. I believe but can't prove that when BlackBerry signed up for Android at Work, which includes access to the Play Store, that BlackBerry agreed to the same non-fragmentation language that all OHA members agreed to.

That anti-fragmentation language is going to cause an issue (not an unsolvable one) for the Android runtime in BB10.

I think BB10 will not die quicky but it will die over time as BlackBerry secures Android and assuming those phones sell. If they don't, it is unlikely that BlackBerry will continue to make any phones.

Oh, and someone from BlackBerry confirmed to me that Slider is running Android. I wouldn't believe this standing alone but when you put everything together, I think it takes a serious case of denial not to see this.

Posted via CB10
    08-09-15 03:05 PM
    Not entirely sure, it had Lollipop. Unsure of version numbers as I've never really owned an Android. Note, The Hub and BlackBerry gestures were there tho.

Posted via CB10
    Did they mention what they were going to name the device?

Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    08-09-15 03:14 PM

Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    i'd call it Android Wannabe BlackBerry X1
    Jakob_jacobsen likes this.
    08-09-15 03:39 PM
    Sierraware has a hypervisor that they say allows a version of Android to run with full Google play services support, and other OS too. How can they say this based on all of you OHA experts on this board say it is not possible for BlackBerry to use a QNX based Hypervisor to do the same thing? How is Xiaomi device able to get Google Play services installed outside of China if they are not OHA member?

Posted via Z30
    I'm not too familiar with the private company Sierraware, but just because they say they can allow for it, doesn't mean Google will let them or some other OEM use it on a large scale, if at all. Acer found out when push came to shove.

As far as Xiaomi, they sell pure Android devices, so it does not conflict with the goals of the OHA. They would certainly have a formal arrangement in place despite not being a full member. I suspect the same arrangement would be made with BlackBerry as well if they sold a full Android device.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    Last edited by conite; 08-09-15 at 03:59 PM.
    08-09-15 03:45 PM
    Oh, and someone from BlackBerry confirmed to me that Slider is running Android. I wouldn't believe this standing alone but when you put everything together, I think it takes a serious case of denial not to see this.

Posted via CB10
    This is the main thing, argue all any wants about hypervisor's, what't possible, etc. Nothing points against the fact that the slider will be Android.
    08-09-15 03:52 PM
    All I'm interested in knowing is what version of BB10 OS the said slider is running. That is if it is running BB10.
    Just to know what to expect when 10.3.3 finally lands.

Posted via BlackberryAndroid
    It's not running BB10.

Posted via CB10
    08-09-15 03:57 PM

Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    No mention I'm afraid. Was very limited it what I could do and ask.

Posted via CB10
    08-09-15 03:58 PM
    Definitely has the same feel. Really did feel like I was using my BlackBerry, but inside Android.

Posted via CB10
    This is the heart of the matter right here. If this is true, it will differentiate it from all the other Android phones. Many, though clearly not all, of those who like the BB10 UI will be pleased to have it, along with the ecosystem. Others, who have never tried BB10 and never would, due to the app gap, might well be interested in an Android with a truly new face.
    People with a lot of money sunk in Android apps and Google media could try this without feeling like they're giving up something. The ones who would be giving up something are those who want BB10 only. Their annoyance is perfectly understandable but there simply aren't enough of them to influence any major decisions that BlackBerry makes going forward.
    08-09-15 06:07 PM
    No mention I'm afraid. Was very limited it what I could do and ask.

Posted via CB10
    Can you confirm that there WAS a keyboard? The pic leak didn't show it. None actually show it except the renders.

Posted via CB10
    ubizmo likes this.
    08-09-15 06:13 PM
    I see ..well for me BlackBerry running java still BlackBerry, BlackBerry running Android it is still BlackBerry.
    Excited to get the zlider..

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2339 ftw!!
    Exactly... I didn't ditch BlackBerry when they moved on from BBOS, so why would I ditch them now for trying another OS ? They didn't build java from scratch, and they didn't build QNX from scratch,.. so I'll let them at least try this before I fetch my pitch fork.
    08-09-15 06:55 PM
    Exactly... I didn't ditch BlackBerry when they moved on from BBOS, so why would I ditch them now for trying another OS ? They didn't build java from scratch, and they didn't build QNX from scratch,.. so I'll let them at least try this before I fetch my pitch fork.
    Well said.

"Z30 STA100-2 UK" 10.3.1.2582 Get's a Ten from Fen.
    08-09-15 06:57 PM
    Can you confirm that there WAS a keyboard? The pic leak didn't show it. None actually show it except the renders.

Posted via CB10
    Good point.
    08-09-15 07:11 PM
    Again you don't have the documentation. You are making assumptions. Sierraware has a hypervisor that they say allows a version of Android to run with full Google play services support, and other OS too. How can they say this based on all of you OHA experts on this board say it is not possible for BlackBerry to use a QNX based Hypervisor to do the same thing? How is Xiaomi device able to get Google Play services installed outside of China if they are not OHA member? Please tell me oh OHA experts who know not what the OHA documentation says explicitly, but have written it based on Google media quote snippets.

Here is what Google says is needed to do:

Now I looked over the CDD, and I see nothing thing that prohibits BlackBerry from implementing Android AOSP and BB10 with a hypervisor, use AOSP to pass the compatibility suite and follow the CDD, and then apply for license of the GMS. But I'm sure you experts here can tell me why Sierraware is wrong, and why BlackBerry can't do it and why you experts are right.

Posted via Z30
    I think the truth is that no one on these forums understands the OHA the way they claim . The so called OHA police have no clue of the workings of the OHA and never do come up with documentation.

Now here is the thing. IMHO Android M is making it a lot easier for OEM's to gain access to the Google Play Store. A lot easier!

Google owns the OHA. Apple is going to runaway with the ecosystem war unless Google does something. Which they are indeed doing. Just look at how Google themselves are manipulating the OHA.

Sent via Passport!
    Last edited by missing_K-W; 08-09-15 at 07:40 PM.
    08-09-15 07:27 PM

Posted via CB10
    100% was a keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    08-09-15 07:39 PM
    Definitely runs Android. Can confirm that.

Posted via CB10
    Do you know if it's running the QNX hypervisor? Or is it just a "BlackBerry" skin?

Sent via Passport!
    Avenzuno likes this.
    08-09-15 07:46 PM
    That suggests the Hub and gestures are a launcher and not an app opened from an icon, no?
    Makes sense to me!

Posted via CB10
    08-09-15 07:52 PM
    BlackBerry is releasing the BlackBerry Experience suite for ios,Android and Windows.

I feel BlackBerry will keep the DNA of BB10 with flow etc as it wouldn't differentiate from the BlackBerry Experience suite.

This is in most likelihood more than just a skin. IMHO the QNX Hypervisor is being utilized.

Sent via Passport!
    08-09-15 07:56 PM
    Looking like windows phone might be in my future. If I wanted Google up in every part of my business I would have bought one.

Posted via CB10
    Reed Richards likes this.
    08-09-15 08:16 PM
    Looking like windows phone might be in my future. If I wanted Google up in every part of my business I would have bought one.

Posted via CB10
    Cya, you will be missed.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk
    Z30Commission likes this.
    08-09-15 10:18 PM
    Here's a question that hasn't been addressed yet, do we know yet whether BB10 apps will run on Android? I liked to brag about how my mom's Passport with Google Play installed means that she gets to have the best of both worlds. Will BlackBerry World go bye-bye? I'm confused. Mikey here's hoping you chime in, I'm dying to know...
    08-09-15 10:19 PM

Posted via CB10
    Is Microsoft really any different from Google?

Posted via CB10
    08-09-15 10:51 PM
    Wow this guy is still at it? JC said something was in the works to close the app gap even further along time ago. And that we would be amazed as he snickered. Its not a full android deal but its closing the gap even more. BB10 will be running the Slider. Not droid.
    Trust me or not: The slider ins running Android with the 'BlackBerry experience suite '. It is not hypervisor, it is not bb10.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by deiop; 08-09-15 at 11:52 PM.
    08-09-15 11:08 PM
360 12345 ...