https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/201...vulnerability/

My only concern with Android is the upgrade life cycle to patch vulnerabilities as documented on the Sophos site and elsewhere.

The problem boils down to Google taking time to release updates, handset makers to then roll that into their own release cycles then carriers to push it to devices.

I can understand why handset makers aren't keen on getting this done, especially if they heavily customized the OS. Time is money and updates don't generate revenue, they just keep existing customers happy, the ones that are aware of security flaws and want it patched at least.

Looking at the Priv and what BlackBerry has done it seems they have built in some additional security and customizations. How committed will BlackBerry be to releasing patches asap ?

We all know Android has many vulnerabilities yet to be exploited, so the timeliness of the update cycle with the Priv will be important and could be the difference between BlackBerry and the other guys.

Hopefully Priv lives up to its name and provides a secure experience not found on any other device in the market.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-15 10:11 AM
    Didn't we read somewhere that part of the PRIV concept is that BB is enabling a rapid deployment process for patches?
    10-17-15 10:15 AM
    Didn't we read somewhere that part of the PRIV concept is that BB is enabling a rapid deployment process for patches?
    That would be great! I don't recall reading it but if true, this would set it apart from all other devices.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-15 11:51 AM
    The carriers are going to be the biggest bottleneck to timely updates. Always have, always will....

Why do you think iOS marketshare keeps creeping up & up especially in North America. They have complete control of updates.
    10-17-15 12:04 PM
    The carriers are going to be the biggest bottleneck to timely updates. Always have, always will....

Why do you think iOS marketshare keeps creeping up & up especially in North America. They have complete control of updates.
    Even if you buy the device unlocked? It'd be nice if they could provide a similar experience to iOS in that updates come directly from Google.

I believe if you buy the Google nexus line this is what you get, but any other handset you go through one extra step. If we can eliminate the carrier layer at least that would help.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-15 12:08 PM
    Even if you buy the device unlocked? It'd be nice if they could provide a similar experience to iOS in that updates come directly from Google.

I believe if you buy the Google nexus line this is what you get, but any other handset you go through one extra step. If we can eliminate the carrier layer at least that would help.

Posted via CB10
    That's the dream right now!

"We'll get there Pop." -- Don Corleon, The Godfather, as he plans the eventual demise of his enemies....
    stego likes this.
    10-17-15 12:21 PM