You missed the point. Look at the numbers. You almost have to try to fail to sell just 5m units in Android space.
    Try? Does pricing an unproven Android phone above $800 count as trying to fail?

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2639
    10-16-15 03:32 PM
    Try? Does pricing an unproven Android phone above $800 count as trying to fail?

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2639
    Um, no? You have to enter the market at the price point that you want to command, otherwise, you will never be able to raise your price to the levels you want.
    Mr4aces likes this.
    10-16-15 03:36 PM
    As long as the price is competitive here in the USA and the device is received well by the carriers. I think they will have a winner.

Blackberry is still a hard sell here, but now that the device will be Android based, I think some former users will drift back knowing they can carry there Android apps over to the new device without any issues and have full google play services and the App Store.
    Mr4aces likes this.
    10-16-15 03:39 PM
    Um, no? You have to enter the market at the price point that you want to command, otherwise, you will never be able to raise your price to the levels you want.
    What if you have tried that repeatedly to dismal failure? What's the lesson?

Here's what people make of the price on a non-fanboy site - the very popular UK hotdeals.
    10-16-15 03:44 PM
    First they'll have to shell out $900+ to get it. That's going to make some Android fans do a stutter step. BlackBerry folks will also balk at that price.

Posted via Z10
    10-16-15 03:51 PM
    Tell them. Get ready to pay $900
    10-16-15 03:52 PM
    What if you have tried that repeatedly to dismal failure? What's the lesson?

Here's what people make of the price on a non-fanboy site - the very popular UK hotdeals.
    It does not matter. BlackBerry never made an Android device. It never had the ecosystem that it will with this one. The past here is not indicative of anything. I think you're also failing to grasp that all top-end Android devices are not that far off in price. This is not a budget-phone for budget users. I'm also inclined to gauge interest more from several hundred comments on Reddit than I am from 18 users on hotukdeals.com. Also, I think you failed to notice that there is a slight bias on that site...gasp...from former BlackBerry users that see this phone as blasphemous. As I have said before, most bashing of this device is coming from BlackBerry hard-core.

Carrier locked no term (CAD $) LG G4 is $700, Note 5 $850, S6 Edge+ $950, S6 Edge $830, Xperia Z3 $700. I won't even mention iPhone 6 Plus since that one is like $600 on a 2-year term. As long as BlackBerry Priv comes in somewhere between $800 and $900 it will be just fine. These are all before-taxes prices. Also, the PRIV will be unlocked if bought direct from BlackBerry.
    10-16-15 04:12 PM
    Before paying for an unproven phone at $850. There will be other devices to look at
    lift likes this.
    10-16-15 04:49 PM
    Before paying for an unproven phone at $850. There will be other devices to look at
    "Unproven phone"

What does this even mean? Can you articulate what BlackBerry needs to do to make this a "proven" phone? I swear CB is the only place where such nonsense gets thrown around. What is proven about any new device that is released? You're not buying a pair of worn-in shoes. Just because people loved the Note series up to Note 5, does not mean that they like the Note 5. A lot of users are pissed of at Samsung for removing the SD card and removable battery, especially the SD card. Those were "proven" phones, no? What difference did it make?
    10-16-15 05:15 PM
    "Unproven phone"

What does this even mean? Can you articulate what BlackBerry needs to do to make this a "proven" phone? I swear CB is the only place where such nonsense gets thrown around. What is proven about any new device that is released? You're not buying a pair of worn-in shoes. Just because people loved the Note series up to Note 5, does not mean that they like the Note 5. A lot of users are pissed of at Samsung for removing the SD card and removable battery, especially the SD card. Those were "proven" phones, no? What difference did it make?
    Unproven cause BB never built an android phone. As opposed to other company that have been building them for many years....
    10-16-15 05:56 PM
    Unproven cause BB never built an android phone. As opposed to other company that have been building them for many years....
    Lol, that's weak. BlackBerry has more experience building advanced smartphones that Samsung, LG, and HTC combined. With the exception of Samsung with Tizen, none of those incumbents have every built a smartphone OS from the ground up, definitely never multiple OSs that have been on the market for years and were supported and refined. The fact that it is running Android means nothing. The OS is provided by Google and aside from some minor tweaks that BlackBerry has done to it, it is basically vanilla Google. This is in contrast to TouchWizz, HTC Sense, and whatever-the-LG-thing-is-called, which is just bloat and responsible for majority of problems on all of those devices.

Full disclosure, the best Android in my opinion is stock Android. Minimal productivity improvements are acceptable.
    Last edited by dejanh; 10-17-15 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Autocorrect mistake
    10-16-15 06:10 PM
    I agree it should....well see when US and Canada pricing is announced how that might affect it
    The pricing won't affect it that much in northmerica since most people get a tab or contract. What I am concerned about is awareness of the phone aka marketing which I see bb is gonna push big time and the carriers as well

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-16-15 06:18 PM
    Lol, that's weak. BlackBerry has more experience building advanced smartphones that Samsung, LG, and HTC combined. With the exception of Samsung with Tizen, none of those incumbents have every built a smartphone OS from the ground up, definitely never multiple OSs that have been on the market for years and were supported and refined. The fact that it is running Android means nothing. The OS is provided by Google and aside from some minor tweaks that BlackBerry has done to it, it is basically vanilla Google. This is in contract to TouchWizz, HTC Sense, and whatever-the-LG-thing-is-called, which is just bloat and responsible for majority of problems on all of those devices.

Full disclosure, the best Android in my opinion is stock Android. Minimal productivity improvements are acceptable.
    I guess will have to wait for official review to see how everything work.
    10-16-15 06:24 PM
    I very much welcome the Priv with open arms.

BBM Channel: C0001F285
    10-16-15 06:39 PM
    Here's the attention given to the Priv at Android Central. It's quite a pity.
    Android fanboys getting excited over Priv-img_20151017_102142.png

Posted via CB10
    10-16-15 09:25 PM
    Building a phone with Android is the easy route, every chinese manufacturer makes one. Blackberry actually made tones of phones running their own OS, that's a big deal.
    10-16-15 09:31 PM
    Here's the attention given to the Priv at Android Central. It's quite a pity.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20151017_102142.png 
Views:	1033 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	376145

Posted via CB10
    I would imagine those who wanted to discuss the Priv would've come over to CB since it's the same network. I though there was an influx of new users here.

You should see /r/android on Reddit. The Priv is exploding there.
    10-16-15 09:38 PM
    M9 is bad because of Qualcomm, not really a good example. Itself is a well built phone.
    The M9 failed because it was a crappy retread of the M8, Qualcomm had nothing to do with it.
    Xaiux likes this.
    10-17-15 06:41 AM
    Bring back Alicia Keys!!!

Not.
    10-17-15 06:55 AM
    The M9 failed because it was a crappy retread of the M8, Qualcomm had nothing to do with it.
    Qualcomm 810.
    10-17-15 07:07 AM
    Qualcomm 810.
    Your username looks familiar. Were you big into Palm Pre's like I was and stayed with WebOS for a while?
    10-17-15 07:10 AM
    But what XDA (specifically) can show us is how to remove Google and/or carrier bloatware and choose what we want to keep. XDA is very informative. Needless to say, they will attempt to root it.
    That is my only interest and hope in Priv. Blackberry hasn't really shown how they are going to secure it, unless it is a super secret till launch day. All I see a pop-up advisory about app permissions. Barring few 'me too' gestures from Blackberry, it is plain android, lock stock and barrel full of festering pile of google. I am really on lookout what XDA chaps do with their Privs in few months.
    lift likes this.
    10-17-15 07:12 AM
    Your username looks familiar. Were you big into Palm Pre's like I was and stayed with WebOS for a while?
    Where do you think I got 5k global posts
    10-17-15 08:26 AM
    Let's face it, other than Samsung curved screens and "note" features there has not been much new in smartphones. BlackBerry adding a qwerty, hub, security and more is something worth talking about. If it all functions as well as the videos it could indeed be a big seller.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    dejanh and La Emperor like this.
    10-17-15 08:47 AM
    I Agree, the M8 wasnt a huge sucess, and the M9 doesn't look much different than the M8
    10-17-15 08:48 AM
73 123