Android users are used to constant change and evolution. Blackberry users hold on to the past.

Seriously though, thank you for your review. I'd rather hear honest feedback than constant speculation. Enjoy your new Priv .

Posted via CB10

Evolution and change .... of a mobile telephone :P

Do Android still send and receive calls?
    11-10-15 05:54 PM
    Thanks for the great review of the Priv....definitely gives me something to look forward to.
    mstrblueskys likes this.
    11-10-15 09:28 PM
    Evolution and change .... of a mobile telephone :P

Do Android still send and receive calls?
    Seriously ( ) Who still sends and receives calls anymore. It's all about the IM, social media and Selfie stick.
    11-11-15 07:12 AM
    That's a great observation even when the z10 came out I was mad that it didn't work like my bb7 phones .
    See, I rest my case.
    11-11-15 07:16 AM
    Thanks for the positive review from an Android experienced user.

Funny how most reviews from Android users are overwhelmingly positive while most reviews from BlackBerry users are extremely negative.

 BlackBerry Z30 Chenpion 
    We hate to lose all these great features you Android people don't have. I won't bother mentioning yes but if you have never used bb10 then people have no idea how liquid it is.

I don't expect the average person to know better.

Posted via CB10
    11-11-15 07:52 AM
    Wow, so many of the guys here are so negative, it is amazing that Blackberry ever manages to sell a phone! Do they want the company to survive or go the way of Palm, and the dinosaur? Port Android to a Classic with the internals of the HTC A9, and you would see Blackberry sell more phones! I'd buy two. Chen said that if this phone does not sell, then BB will become a software only company, do they really want that? Or are they the type of people that would burn down your own house, while standing in it just for the "purity" of the BB10 platform? If BB fails, do they think that there will be anything in the future? Especially no BB11 or an new Passport, Classic, Z30, etc.

Thanks to the OP for a really positive review.
    Last edited by murphcid; 11-11-15 at 08:21 AM.
    11-11-15 08:00 AM
    Nice review, OP. It's good to see someone just taking the device at face value, and evaluating it for what it is, rather than what it is not.
    DolemiteDONS and mstrblueskys like this.
    11-11-15 08:25 AM
    Chen said that if this phone does not sell, then BB will become a software only company, do they really want that?Especially no BB11 or an new Passport, Classic, Z30, etc.

Thanks to the OP for a really positive review.
    Thanks for the encouragement, and after using this phone, it'd be too bad if Blackberry didn't try to compete in the hardware market anymore. The more I use this phone, the better it's getting!
    11-11-15 08:38 AM
    So yesterday I had my first real day where I was relying on the phone all day. Here's what I've learned since I wrote the review.

The battery is amazing. Period. I did everything from my phone for a full day yesterday. It was connected to my pebble and pushing me notifications all day. I did emails, calls, and browsed around a bit and I still had over 20% battery when I went to sleep just after 11:00 after waking up at 6:00.

The Keyboard: Let me clarify - I use the virtual keyboard when I'm typing one handed. I prefer to swipe input with my thumb over key pressing. I've found it's sped my virtual typing up. That's why I can't use the Blackberry virtual keyboard. If I have two hands, I slide the phone open. Every. Time. The word prediction with the physical keyboard is awesome and I get why people love their Blackberry keyboard - it just doesn't fit my use style.

Hub works amazing. I seriously haven't had a single issue with it.

I also LOVE watching people realize it slides out to a full keyboard and then contemplating how you can scroll using the keyboard.

The only weird thing I'm running into is that there's no dedicated gallery app? It's freaking me out.
    DolemiteDONS and murphcid like this.
    11-11-15 08:45 AM
    The most refreshing and seemingly genuine Priv reviews are from Android users (many who are former BlackBerry customers), and patient BB10 users who appear to have an openness to adapt, even sacrifice a little familarity for a greater gain. It's worth it for BlackBerry to perhaps upset 10% of their current .02% clientele if it means they can get traction with the 82% marketshare audience. Very smart trade off.
    I went out and bought a Note 5 just to experience the Android software. Not bad. Kinda hope all the BB apps on Priv will be available to put on any Android device. But I will probably give Priv a whirl. I still enjoy my Z30 though. So Android peeps could change to Priv easily and enjoy it.
    mstrblueskys likes this.
    11-11-15 08:51 AM
  11. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Thanks OP! Can't wait to get the PRIV!

Posted via CB10
    mstrblueskys likes this.
    11-11-15 08:54 AM
    On screen keyboard bad? Wow. Don't believe that

Posted via CB10
    11-11-15 08:54 AM
    I can't figure out how to enable Swiping on the keyboard. It's not working like normal Android keyboards. Can you post how you did that?
    I assume you mean the virtual keyboard since you mention "normal Android keyboards."

Above some of the letters on the virtual keyboard you will see words. To make the word appear in the text field of a reply in this forum simply swipe upwards on the keyboard touching the key where the desired word suggestion is displayed. As you use the keyboard, either virtual or physical, the accuracy of the suggestions increases.

When the BlackBerry Z10 was released there was a forum thread in which we had a challenge to post replies using only the word suggestions. It was surprisingly coherent if not amusing to read.

BlackBerry Priv with CrackBerry App for Android
    mstrblueskys likes this.
    11-11-15 10:26 AM
    The only weird thing I'm running into is that there's no dedicated gallery app? It's freaking me out.
    Do you mean for Photos and Videos?
    11-11-15 10:29 AM
    I had the opportunity to play with a PRIV today at an at&t store. Very good looking device.

I have never used Android before, with that said, I have a question about the OS. One of my favorite features of BB10 is the ability play YouTube videos on the background; do we know if this can be replicated with Android?

One last thought. I do agree with other people when it comes to the PRIV's physical keyboard, it feels cheap. Nothing compared to the Passport's keyboard material.

I'm still getting the PRIV tho

Posted via CB10
    11-11-15 10:52 AM
    I am going to wait till after the new year to get mine, since I want to see what they do with Android 6.0, and I have an aversion to being an unpaid Beta tester for things. Plus rather than use my AT&T upgrade, I'll save my coins and pay for one unlocked from BB.
    11-11-15 11:08 AM
    I had the opportunity to play with a PRIV today at an at&t store. Very good looking device.

I have never used Android before, with that said, I have a question about the OS. One of my favorite features of BB10 is the ability play YouTube videos on the background; do we know if this can be replicated with Android?

One last thought. I do agree with other people when it comes to the PRIV's physical keyboard, it feels cheap. Nothing compared to the Passport's keyboard material.

I'm still getting the PRIV tho

Posted via CB10
    Yes YouTube can play in the background but not thru the YouTube app. Use the browser, which is all the BlackBerry YouTube app is, a shortcut. And I guess it works with chrome unless you switch tabs. I head Firefox doesn't have that issue.
    edu3110 likes this.
    11-11-15 11:13 AM
    Yep! That was implemented sometime this year. The youtube app can play videos in the background. It's not all videos, and I'm sure you can google the reason for this, but it's almost all videos that the app allows this with.
    dietertong and edu3110 like this.
    11-11-15 12:30 PM
    Do you mean for Photos and Videos?
    Yeah, sorry, gallery is what it's typically called in Android.
    11-11-15 12:31 PM
    On screen keyboard bad? Wow. Don't believe that
    I tried to clear that up in the post today. It's just not how I use the phone now - I'm sure it's great if you're used to using two thumbs to type on the screen. If I'm using the on-screen option, it's because I only have one hand. Swiping makes typing much easier with a thumb. If I have two, I slide the device open to use the physical keyboard!
    11-11-15 12:36 PM
    Yeah, sorry, gallery is what it's typically called in Android.
    Gallery is generally when an OEM will make it's own app for it, but stock Android just uses Photos - does the same thing for viewing pictures and videos. Same thing on Nexus series and Motos I believe.
    11-11-15 12:38 PM
    Gallery is generally when an OEM will make it's own app for it, but stock Android just uses Photos - does the same thing for viewing pictures and videos. Same thing on Nexus series and Motos I believe.
    Interesting - I feel like I had to install photos. Maybe I'm mistaken. It all came in at once when I restored. It's not as nice as a device app. I have to dig for other albums that aren't directly from the camera.
    11-11-15 12:41 PM
    great review, it made me feel more comfortable about purchasing one in the future.
    you should wait until it dropped in price because based on reviews it cannot even outperform the Nexus 5x a $380 phone
    BlackBerry Priv review: Android fixes the OS, but the hardware can?t compete | Ars Technica
    11-12-15 06:26 PM
    This is the best android phone I've ever owned. I buy new phones almost monthly. It's a running joke among my coworkers because I buy, try and return so many. The Priv is the first keeper I've owned in 3 years. I absolutely love this phone.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    11-12-15 06:53 PM
    Keeper? If you're that compulsive, how can you guarantee it's a keeper after only a week?

Posted via CB10
    11-12-15 07:18 PM
103 ... 2345