So, the last thing I did on my workday on Friday was go to the AT&T store and pick up a new Blackberry Priv. I'm new on the forums here, but not to Mobile Nations. I was with WebOS as long as possible! I LOVED my Palm Pre and Pixi and Hacked Pre 2 to Sprint. After HP killed the mobile OS I loved, I switched to Android because it was the next most open OS and I had become obsessed and dependent on dev support. I had a long list of Android phones as the obsession continued, but I still missed aspects of the Pre and Pixi, including the physical keyboard.

Then something changed. Blackberry leaks showed a physical keyboard in a very svelte device with wireless charging. This was it.

I kept checking and on Friday my AT&T store had the Priv in stock. Picking it up was the last thing I did 'at work' on Friday. The rest of the night I set things up for a full weekend of use. I have a few thoughts so far. We'll start with the disappointments thus far and then get to what I love. I'll tell you right now that there has been a lot of complaining - I don't think it's justified. This is a very nice phone.

The Bad:

The battery has been average. This will get better, but right now it doesn't really hold up after heavy use. Again - this gets better. HTC, ASUS, Samsung, LG, etc. all have battery issues after releases and major updates. It happens. Blackberry will update and improve.

There's something off in the camera. It takes super pictures, but every once in a while the shutter is delayed and I get a pic of whatever I was doing about a second after I thought I had taken the picture.

The on screen keyboard is bad compared to alternatives. Replace it with Swype.

There's a little delay every once in a while when I turn the screen on. Not sure why, but it only turns on to about 10% for a second, then the screen pops up in full.

I can't figure out BBM. Does it do SMS? Right now I'm putting this all on me and not Blackberry.

That's it for what I don't appreciate. It's a short, really picky list. Having used a ton of other Android phones, this is not concerning. I have no experience for Blackberry's in-house OS (besides thinking it was a bit of a copy of WebOS ) but coming from Android phones, I understand these things all happen and it's not a big deal with a device this fresh.

Now can I talk about what I love?

Charging the phone. It's brilliant. First, quick charge. When I need juice, I don't want it to take hours. Now it doesn't. It works. Well. And I am obsessed. Also, it's SO nice having wireless charging back. It doesn't work with all my Qi chargers because of size and location of the charge, but I really feel better about my device taking a wireless charge. The physical plug is going to last much longer.

Dat keyboard, doe! Honestly, I have waited for a long time for any Android manufacturer (literally any - I would have dealt with Touchwiz to have a good physical keyboard) to make a phone with a keyboard that was worth owning. Blackberry did it, and did it really well. The sliding mechanism is tight and solid. I have no concerns right now with how it's going to hold up. I hope it doesn't loosen up and I have no reason to expect it to.

The software is a knockout. Really. Blackberry did a great job making it feel like stock Android with some minimal tools rather than a real hardcore Blackberry first experience. This phone will draw Android users to Blackberry devices. It's a really nice experience. The 'swipe down' on apps with widgets to bring up a widget is brilliant. It's a really good solution to screen and app efficiency (I recommend doing/trying this out with Android Central/Crackberry/Windows Central/iMore apps. It's awesome!). The hub is awesome! Totally. My email stays organized. With Gmail, I'll get a thousand updates and promotions before I notice. Blackberry does a good job keeping on top of those and helping me deal with them efficiently without being annoying.

The hardware is beautiful. The phone looks great. Aesthetics is a personal thing, so I won't dwell too long, but this is a really nice looking device. It's easy to hold thanks to the back of the phone. I haven't had a Blackberry before, but whatever that rubber/plastic/fiberglass stuff on the back is - it's great. The internals of the phone are top specs and the light launcher makes this a really snappy device.

The pictures I get are super. Colors are spot on. It's not like my HTC phones, which would make things warm, or my LG which super saturate. It's just a very nice picture. Perfect for Instagram! OIS is amazing, especially for video. It's really good. It's a lot like magic, but more just great engineering.

There's a lot more to like as I keep playing with the software on this phone. Your main takeaway should be that I love my Priv already (after only one weekend) and if you want it, you'll have to pry it from my cold, dead hands. This is the reaction I remember people used to have back in Blackberry's prime. I don't know that this phone was designed to attract current Blackberry users away from their Blackberry 10 devices because I don't know those at all, but I do know that you will find Android users buying this phone and loving it. So at the very worst, your community is about to grow!
    11-09-15 12:07 PM
    So, the last thing I did on my workday on Friday was go to the AT&T store and pick up a new Blackberry Priv. I'm new on the forums here, but not to Mobile Nations. I was with WebOS as long as possible! I LOVED my Palm Pre and Pixi and Hacked Pre 2 to Sprint. After HP killed the mobile OS I loved, I switched to Android because it was the next most open OS and I had become obsessed and dependent on dev support. I had a long list of Android phones as the obsession continued, but I still missed aspects of the Pre and Pixi, including the physical keyboard.

Then something changed. Blackberry leaks showed a physical keyboard in a very svelte device with wireless charging. This was it.

I kept checking and on Friday my AT&T store had the Priv in stock. Picking it up was the last thing I did 'at work' on Friday. The rest of the night I set things up for a full weekend of use. I have a few thoughts so far. We'll start with the disappointments thus far and then get to what I love. I'll tell you right now that there has been a lot of complaining - I don't think it's justified. This is a very nice phone.

The Bad:

The battery has been average. This will get better, but right now it doesn't really hold up after heavy use. Again - this gets better. HTC, ASUS, Samsung, LG, etc. all have battery issues after releases and major updates. It happens. Blackberry will update and improve.

There's something off in the camera. It takes super pictures, but every once in a while the shutter is delayed and I get a pic of whatever I was doing about a second after I thought I had taken the picture.

There's a little delay every once in a while when I turn the screen on. Not sure why, but it only turns on to about 10% for a second, then the screen pops up in full.

I can't figure out BBM. Does it do SMS? Right now I'm putting this all on me and not Blackberry.

That's it for what I don't appreciate. It's a short, really picky list. Having used a ton of other Android phones, this is not concerning. I have no experience for Blackberry's in-house OS (besides thinking it was a bit of a copy of WebOS ) but coming from Android phones, I understand these things all happen and it's not a big deal with a device this fresh.

Charging the phone. It's brilliant. First, quick charge. When I need juice, I don't want it to take hours. Now it doesn't. It works. Well. And I am obsessed. Also, it's SO nice having wireless charging back. It doesn't work with all my Qi chargers because of size and location of the charge, but I really feel better about my device taking a wireless charge. The physical plug is going to last much longer.

Dat keyboard, doe! Honestly, I have waited for a long time for any Android manufacturer (literally any - I would have dealt with Touchwiz to have a good physical keyboard) to make a phone with a keyboard that was worth owning. Blackberry did it, and did it really well. The sliding mechanism is tight and solid. I have no concerns right now with how it's going to hold up. I hope it doesn't loosen up and I have no reason to expect it to.

The software is a knockout. Really. Blackberry did a great job making it feel like stock Android with some minimal tools rather than a real hardcore Blackberry first experience. This phone will draw Android users to Blackberry devices. It's a really nice experience. The 'swipe down' on apps with widgets to bring up a widget is brilliant. It's a really good solution to screen and app efficiency (I recommend doing/trying this out with Android Central/Crackberry/Windows Central/iMore apps. It's awesome!). The hub is awesome! Totally. My email stays organized. With Gmail, I'll get a thousand updates and promotions before I notice. Blackberry does a good job keeping on top of those and helping me deal with them efficiently without being annoying.

The hardware is beautiful. The phone looks great. Aesthetics is a personal thing, so I won't dwell too long, but this is a really nice looking device. It's easy to hold thanks to the back of the phone. I haven't had a Blackberry before, but whatever that rubber/plastic/fiberglass stuff on the back is - it's great. The internals of the phone are top specs and the light launcher makes this a really snappy device.

The pictures I get are super. Colors are spot on. It's not like my HTC phones, which would make things warm, or my LG which super saturate. It's just a very nice picture. Perfect for Instagram! OIS is amazing, especially for video. It's really good. It's a lot like magic, but more just great engineering.

There's a lot more to like as I keep playing with the software on this phone. Your main takeaway should be that I love my Priv already (after only one weekend) and if you want it, you'll have to pry it from my cold, dead hands. This is the reaction I remember people used to have back in Blackberry's prime. I don't know that this phone was designed to attract current Blackberry users away from their Blackberry 10 devices because I don't know those at all, but I do know that you will find Android users buying this phone and loving it. So at the very worst, your community is about to grow!
    Thanks for the positive review from an Android experienced user.

Funny how most reviews from Android users are overwhelmingly positive while most reviews from BlackBerry users are extremely negative.

 BlackBerry Z30 Chenpion 
    11-09-15 12:24 PM
    This just shows that the best review really is just your personal review. Until you get the phone yourself, you never really know.

Posted via CB10 on the Blackberry Q5.
    11-09-15 12:29 PM
    Android users are used to constant change and evolution. Blackberry users hold on to the past.

Seriously though, thank you for your review. I'd rather hear honest feedback than constant speculation. Enjoy your new Priv .

Posted via CB10
    11-09-15 12:30 PM
    Nice hearing from an android user.
    mstrblueskys likes this.
    11-09-15 12:50 PM

The Bad:

+1

Could not have said it better!

I couldn't wait, I'm on vacation in Phoenix, ordered it online and picked it up at ATT here in Phoenix Az

I "don't think" the Priv will be my primary phone, but I will interchange it with the Classic and the 9900 as my work phone.

The 9900 is compact and with the ergonomic pkb and track pad it is still the fastest phone I own.

The Priv allows me to use android apps not available on BBOS

Posted via BlackBerry Priv
    wincyUt and mstrblueskys like this.
    11-09-15 12:52 PM
    The most refreshing and seemingly genuine Priv reviews are from Android users (many who are former BlackBerry customers), and patient BB10 users who appear to have an openness to adapt, even sacrifice a little familarity for a greater gain. It's worth it for BlackBerry to perhaps upset 10% of their current .02% clientele if it means they can get traction with the 82% marketshare audience. Very smart trade off.
    11-09-15 12:59 PM
    great review, it made me feel more comfortable about purchasing one in the future.
    mstrblueskys and jmaxim917 like this.
    11-09-15 01:00 PM
    Thanks for the positive review from an Android experienced user.

Funny how most reviews from Android users are overwhelmingly positive while most reviews from BlackBerry users are extremely negative.

I think that completely boils down to the fact that this device could be exactly what Android users have been waiting for, not the device BB users have been waiting for.

What I mean is that most people are diehard to the OS they are used to. I for one love Android, been using it since I left my Bold 9000 in 2010. Im such an advocate that I should have a little android tattooed on me somewhere. I dont hate other OS, I just have a preference. I tried an iphone at one point and I didnt care for how things that I was used to was handled. I think thats exactly the case here. Most BB10 users like the way things are done. Android is a totally new concept if you have never used it before. It can be intimidating even.

If this phone came with BB10 Im sure you would see a reversal of all the negative reviews on here. As we have seen, many of the positive reviews are from previous Android users.

I want this device, I really do. Unfortunately for me and the way I use my phone I cant get the priv yet until its unlockable. In the meantime Ill be moving from my Nexus 6 to a 6P. Ill be playing on this forum still though because I really like this device.
    mstrblueskys and La Emperor like this.
    11-09-15 01:07 PM
    I was thinking of using my PP as everyday work phone and the Priv when on a light day or weekends. Could be I just need to get more comfortable with the Priv just yet. It's great for watching movies and such.
    mstrblueskys and wincyUt like this.
    11-09-15 01:08 PM
    Since I didn't see anyone answer this particular question, as far as I know, BBM is a self-contained messaging system that only allows you to connect with other BBM users. If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me, but even when I was a BlackBerry user years ago I never used BBM because I felt like I was being confined, so I always just stuck with regular SMS services on my BB phones. I don't know if you can send regular SMS texts from BBM to another person that doesn't have BBM installed on their phone, but hopefully someone will clear that up for you.
    mstrblueskys likes this.
    11-09-15 01:14 PM
    This is news to my ears! I loved my palm pre, with the exception of the time it took after restarting it and the battery drain. I bought a massive external replacement which solved the battery issue. The Priv will be mine soon, waiting to see who else picks it up first... Verizon or T-Mobile.
    mstrblueskys likes this.
    11-09-15 01:21 PM
    I think that completely boils down to the fact that this device could be exactly what Android users have been waiting for, not the device BB users have been waiting for...

Most BB10 users like the way things are done. Android is a totally new concept if you have never used it before. It can be intimidating even.

If this phone came with BB10 Im sure you would see a reversal of all the negative reviews on here.

I want this device, I really do. Unfortunately for me and the way I use my phone I cant get the priv yet until its unlockable.
    Agreed! This is a big deal. I hated Android when I started using it. Efficiencies take time and effort to learn. I had no choice but to leave WebOS. Blackberry users don't have to leave if they don't want to. It's understandable to prefer not to change. I just wish it wasn't taken out on a brilliant device in the forums. People come here for advice, and when they see a laundry list of people upset with the phone because they don't understand Android after a couple of minutes with a phone in a store, they're getting an inaccurate representation of how good or bad the phone is. It's a disservice to a company who is trying to cater to a larger audience.
    DolemiteDONS and wincyUt like this.
    11-09-15 01:22 PM
    Since I didn't see anyone answer this particular question, as far as I know, BBM is a self-contained messaging system that only allows you to connect with other BBM users. If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me, but even when I was a BlackBerry user years ago I never used BBM because I felt like I was being confined, so I always just stuck with regular SMS services on my BB phones. I don't know if you can send regular SMS texts from BBM to another person that doesn't have BBM installed on their phone, but hopefully someone will clear that up for you.
    No BBM doesn't interface with txt
    mstrblueskys likes this.
    11-09-15 01:27 PM
    No BBM doesn't interface with txt
    After a long time binging (that's right - I bing) I came to this conclusion. It's a bit of a shame.
    11-09-15 01:34 PM
    I think that completely boils down to the fact that this device could be exactly what Android users have been waiting for, not the device BB users have been waiting for.

What I mean is that most people are diehard to the OS they are used to. I for one love Android, been using it since I left my Bold 9000 in 2010. Im such an advocate that I should have a little android tattooed on me somewhere. I dont hate other OS, I just have a preference. I tried an iphone at one point and I didnt care for how things that I was used to was handled. I think thats exactly the case here. Most BB10 users like the way things are done. Android is a totally new concept if you have never used it before. It can be intimidating even.

If this phone came with BB10 Im sure you would see a reversal of all the negative reviews on here. As we have seen, many of the positive reviews are from previous Android users.

I want this device, I really do. Unfortunately for me and the way I use my phone I cant get the priv yet until its unlockable. In the meantime Ill be moving from my Nexus 6 to a 6P. Ill be playing on this forum still though because I really like this device.
    Entirely agree that it is probably targeted to CURRENT NON-BLACKBERRY USERS and for people who use android or used to use a BBOS device and left for another OS.

I think the BlackBerry community is split in half whether the PRIV should be considered a BlackBerry or just an android device.

I still feel it's a BlackBerry and I really hope they will succeed with the PRIV.

Thank you for understanding.

mstrblueskys likes this.
    11-09-15 01:37 PM
    You are correct.
    On BBOS you were able to add phone numbers to BBM and send text messages to others and it would appear in the BBM app, so you could use BBM for all of your instant messaging if you preferred.
    But the feature was clunky and looked nothing like a BBM and basically like a normal sms.

I am assuming BlackBerry has removed the feature by now.
    Even more likely it's not on android....

11-09-15 01:44 PM
    Nice post.

In my opinion this phone is more attractive to Android users than BlackBerry 10 users. For BlackBerry core users the OS is a little bit of a step back and for enterprise users it's likely not going to be approved for work use that quickly if at all.

I'm interested but I'm taking a wait and see approach. Still love BlackBerry 10 and I'm not a big app guy (I have everything I need) so I'm not clamoring for Google Play.

Posted via  BlackBerry Z30
    11-09-15 01:46 PM
    After a long time binging (that's right - I bing) I came to this conclusion. It's a bit of a shame.
    BBM is a very good messaging app tho, if you can find and convince some friends to give it a try. This system, unlike others which use phone numbers for accounts (Whatsapp), use a unique PIN system for activation. Although this may be a hassle to implement, the messaging service includes BBM voice and messaging, Paypal integration, BBM video (only with BB10 right now, tho) and file and picture transfers etc. I really like it but YMMV.
    saxxman likes this.
    11-09-15 01:49 PM
    This is the kind of review we want to see not those from some BB10 users crying ,hoping to see the same features on Android . If you want a BB10 stay with your actual phone but don't buy a Priv and them complaining like u didn't know you were going to buy and Android .

The Bad:

elmit22 and wincyUt like this.
    11-09-15 01:52 PM
    BBM is like whatsapp or other cross platform messaging apps.

Basically it provides more features than sms along with longer range (international because the messages are sent via wifi). I'm sure someone can elobarte more, as I'm pressed for time.

Google it for more info!

Also I'm confused how OP thinks swype is better than the BlackBerry vkb. It's the best that I've ever used. The most impressive part is how smart it is and how much learning it will do. I'd highly recommend giving It more time before ditching it.

Posted via CB10
    11-09-15 01:59 PM
    This is the kind of review we want to see not those from some BB10 users crying
    There has been a lot of 'crying' on this forum, but I do think it's good for BB10 users to understand that maybe this device isn't catered toward them, but rather as a way to gain a broader user base.
    dietertong, JerseySal and elmit22 like this.
    11-09-15 02:05 PM
    Also I'm confused how OP thinks swype is better than the BlackBerry vkb. It's the best that I've ever used. The most impressive part is how smart it is and how much learning it will do. I'd highly recommend giving It more time before ditching it.
    Perhaps it comes with the OS, but Swype has been learning my style for literally years now. It also allows me to be effective with one handed use of the phone. I couldn't figure out if there was a way to enable swipe texting on the keyboard, but if I have two thumbs, I'm going to jump to the physical keyboard anyway, so I need the second option for a different style of use.
    11-09-15 02:08 PM
    Perhaps it comes with the OS, but Swype has been learning my style for literally years now. It also allows me to be effective with one handed use of the phone. I couldn't figure out if there was a way to enable swipe texting on the keyboard, but if I have two thumbs, I'm going to jump to the physical keyboard anyway, so I need the second option for a different style of use.
    That's fair. I can understand that. the BlackBerry vkb starts as a two handed keyboard for the most part but then as it learns what you type it will very effectively predict your next word. I remember times with it when I didn't even need to do more than swipe up several times. Pretty impressive. It also heat maps where you hit each letter and adjusts over time accordingly. Some of these BlackBerry features they seriously could do whole marketing campaigns about, like apple does for its 'features'

Posted via CB10
    Quorist likes this.
    11-09-15 02:18 PM
    I read the title as Android + BlackBerry = Amazing minus My Priv weekend experience. Gotta love math....or not.

Posted via CB10
    Edrian Villa and mstrblueskys like this.
    11-09-15 02:41 PM
103 123 ...