Agreed - no more sharing with governments, they have proven not to be trustworthy ...
    09-29-15 04:24 PM
    BlackBerry and BlackPhone are going for two different security conscious audiences. Enterprise customers would prefer BlackBerry because it is managed security: they hold the encryption keys, they hold the device provisioning permissions, they can audit and archive communication as they need to.

Black Phone wants the privacy by ephemera contingent, where the only person who holds the keys to their communication is the owner of the device. These are two different crowds entirely and both are being served, but at the end of the day these are both niche audiences.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-15 05:49 PM
    "BlackPhone 2 for $800.00" = $400.00 each. Not even with that offer I'm interested. BlackBerry all the way!

Posted via CB10
    09-29-15 07:49 PM
    Doesn't really matter what they price it at compared to the BP II. The Priv will have modern OS the BP II is based on droid 4.2 so you might as well keep your BB device or whatever you're running and last time it took 5 min to hack it so how secure is it?
    Chen already mentioned that it will not be as secure as BB10. So, as the os is android hackers are waiting.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-29-15 08:13 PM
    Doesn't really matter what they price it at compared to the BP II. The Priv will have modern OS the BP II is based on droid 4.2 so you might as well keep your BB device or whatever you're running and last time it took 5 min to hack it so how secure is it?
    Based on several reads, it's 5.1 AFAIK
    09-30-15 03:18 AM
    This is more niche than BlackBerry by far. First, there is no carrier support at all. The hardware is not as good as the Priv. I'm really curious how the Priv stacks up to this though in the security/privacy setup. One thing I read about the BlackPhone 2 that was interesting was how it handles the different profiles, and it was mentioned it was like a hypervisor. I don't know if that is true at all, but it brings it back to what BB could do with the Priv (or future Android devices) using the QNX Hypervisor underneath it. Clearly Silent Circle has made some fundamental changes to Android on their phone, yet still has Google Play services. This bodes well for the kind of things BlackBerry can do too.
    Blackphone2 Spaces is a modified version of the multi-user function in Android. If you have ever used an Android tablet you can put a Guest user on it or make another regular user profile.
    09-30-15 03:36 AM
    Can BB get another OS beside Android if they have to? android sucks!
    Let see do you know of another OS out there that has more than 3% marketshare and is available?

You might not like Android, 50% of the fans here probable don't "like" Android (other 50% have been using it for a while now, and are fine with it).... But Android is what is powering most of the smartphones in the world today.... Only real competitor is iOS and it isn't available.

Tizen, Firefox, Sailfish, BB10, "others" all combined don't amount to more than 5% combined. Sadly there is nothing wrong with BB10 as an OS... the issue is the ecosystem and there are only two ecosystems out there. While Windows may (or may not) eventually establish a strong 3rd ecosystem.... BlackBerry can't wait that long.
    bakron1, MO3iusONE and joyride like this.
    09-30-15 07:50 AM
    Blackphone2 Spaces is a modified version of the multi-user function in Android. If you have ever used an Android tablet you can put a Guest user on it or make another regular user profile.
    I know Android has the multi-user stuff, but the article I read (I don't remember which it was as I read a few) said their changes made it like a hypervisor. Doing some more digging, it seems they are using Spaces (Secure Spaces | Freedom to Choose) through a partnership with Graphite Software (Graphite Software | Redefining the mobile user experience). It's not a hypervisor solution, just a different kind of virtualization.
    09-30-15 08:37 AM
    And see, this is what I have trouble comprehending. How did Blackphone get google services while using a forked version of android, yet BlackBerry couldn't without going full android? Boggles my mind

Posted via CB10
    It's not forked like a different OS running a run time.
    09-30-15 08:44 AM
    I know Android has the multi-user stuff, but the article I read (I don't remember which it was as I read a few) said their changes made it like a hypervisor. Doing some more digging, it seems they are using Spaces (Secure Spaces | Freedom to Choose) through a partnership with Graphite Software (Graphite Software | Redefining the mobile user experience). It's not a hypervisor solution, just a different kind of virtualization.
    Yeah its not VM like we usually understand it. The multi-user function of Android functions in concept like your Window desktop user profiles in your computer. If you read the FAQ in SecureSpaces it says.

HOW MUCH DEVICE MEMORY AND STORAGE DOES EACH SPACE USE?
    Each Space consumes about 70MB of additional memory when running. In addition, each new Space requires approximately 3MB of additional storage.
    When apps are shared across Spaces, then there is no additional app storage needed beyond the initial copy. Each app may consume additional app data storage in each Space. For example, if a game exists in two Spaces, then the storage associated with the save game file and high scores values will be duplicated in each Space.
    If each space was a launched OS in VM then it would take alot more resources than above.
    09-30-15 09:24 AM
    When apps are shared across Spaces, then there is no additional app storage needed beyond the initial copy.
    Cool. They just invented DLLs.
    09-30-15 10:56 AM
    Cool. They just invented DLLs.
    There is rarely truly revolutionary breakthroughs in tech. Most of it is X applied to Y. Just like QNX Hypervisor that has been endlessly discussed in forum is just an implementation of the same concept as Linux kernel KVM which has existed for years, and KVM is probably derived from something before that.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    09-30-15 11:20 AM
    Will any of the major carriers here in the US be carrying the priv?

Posted via CB10
    09-30-15 01:56 PM
    Will any of the major carriers here in the US be carrying the priv?

Posted via CB10
    All of them, according to reliable sources.

Posted via CB10
    Blacklatino likes this.
    09-30-15 02:02 PM
    BlackBerry Central has a comparison up
    https://www.blackberrycentral.com/ne...-priv-preview/
    and they seem to think that the Priv will be lower priced.

 Frosty White Q10/10.3.2.2639 CB10 
    10-02-15 01:20 PM
    I noticed that it offers better management of Android apps than BBOS.

Posted via CB10
    10-04-15 10:52 PM
    The CNET article http://www.cnet.com/products/blackphone-2/ says:

"Is this a hack-proof phone? It's not and it doesn't pretend to be, said Javier Aguera, Silent Circle chief scientist..."

And then threw a jab at BlackBerry saying that it gives governments its users' data sometimes lol

Am hoping the Priv eats Silent Circle for lunch :-D

Attachment 373495

 Frosty White Q10/10.3.2.2639 CB10 
    Not sure in how you wrote this if you do know that BlackBerry did give out back doors to various governments in exchange for the ability to still do business there. India and UAE to name two. This was BIS information/access. But if they did that they probably would do the same for BES.

A company that has no logs or servrers to give back doors to is going to be safer than BlackBerry.

Even though BlackBerry opened up its information to government spy agencies, they still were safe from other types of hacking.

Since I don't trust BlackBerry to even try to keep the government out, I wish much success to BlackPhone. Do I think they can do it? No. But wish someone could build it.

Z30STA100-5 / 10.3.2.2789 / T-Mobile USA
    dusanvn likes this.
    10-05-15 12:32 AM
    Not sure in how you wrote this if you do know that BlackBerry did give out back doors to various governments in exchange for the ability to still do business there. India and UAE to name two. This was BIS information/access. But if they did that they probably would do the same for BES.

A company that has no logs or servrers to give back doors to is going to be safer than BlackBerry.

Even though BlackBerry opened up its information to government spy agencies, they still were safe from other types of hacking.

Since I don't trust BlackBerry to even try to keep the government out, I wish much success to BlackPhone. Do I think they can do it? No. But wish someone could build it.

Z30STA100-5 / 10.3.2.2789 / T-Mobile USA
    BES was designed so that BB wouldn't have access to the keys, so they (or anyone) couldn't intercept traffic going across their network between a BES and devices.
    10-05-15 01:54 PM
    It's not forked like a different OS running a run time.
    To be considered forked, it doesn't have to be a different OS. Amazon's phone is running "Forked" Android" however doesn't have GPS access either, so how does Blackphone pull it off? It doesn't meet OHA requirements from what I've read on these forums about it.
    10-06-15 09:06 AM
    IMO, as far as pricing, niche phone or not, the pricing needs to be adequate as opposed to overpriced and everyone (including many on here) wait for the price to drop to move more than the status quo for BlackBerry of units . The higher the price, the less volume sold. Besides, if the phone is actually getting the attention of consumers on other platforms, drop it a little to entice them even more to step over the line and let Android market it. Hopefully, we will see a commercial soon.....unless we're looking at some potential delay- which is fine if it is not ready.
    10-06-15 09:57 AM
    To throw more pricing perspective... Lumia 950, SD810 3GB and 32MB, running Windows 10, $549. Its killer feature is iris unlock and Continuum.
    10-06-15 10:00 AM
71 123