That spec page is Last Updated: Jan 21, 2015 10:52PM UTC

09-28-15 01:52 PM
    That link is for the BP1 and was last updated in January. We are talking about the new BP2 now which is based on Android 5.1.1

 Frosty White Q10/10.3.2.2639 CB10 
    09-28-15 01:55 PM
    Oops sorry guys
    09-28-15 01:56 PM
    Oops sorry guys
    Funny how Silent Circle were officially calling the operating system the 'PrivatOS'.

I guess it shall be the 'Priv' versus 'the OS formerly known as Privat'
    Lol

 Frosty White Q10/10.3.2.2639 CB10 
    Last edited by jope28; 09-28-15 at 02:20 PM.
    09-28-15 02:08 PM
    The blackphone 2 has a worse CPU however, a Snapdragon 615 vs the Priv's 808.
    09-28-15 02:26 PM
    You need to look at what market that the Blackphone is aimed... its main competitor will actually be General Dynamics that provides probably the most secure phone there is... With the Priv... BB is actually veering towards the consumer market again... as much as productivity is emphasized.. the specs and design are targeted at consumers.... Does enterprise really care about a curved edge screen????? so maybe the best of both worlds... without carrier support and the narrow market ( Boeing comes to mind ) ..... cannot see how this is competition to BB.....
    09-28-15 03:07 PM
    Yes it has
    It has Android for Work.
    Last edited by crucial bbq; 09-28-15 at 03:23 PM.
    09-28-15 03:12 PM
    Nobody cares about this phone
    09-28-15 03:30 PM
    You need to look at what market that the Blackphone is aimed... its main competitor will actually be General Dynamics that provides probably the most secure phone there is... With the Priv... BB is actually veering towards the consumer market again... as much as productivity is emphasized.. the specs and design are targeted at consumers.... Does enterprise really care about a curved edge screen????? so maybe the best of both worlds... without carrier support and the narrow market ( Boeing comes to mind ) ..... cannot see how this is competition to BB.....
    But it will be the phone review sites compare to each other.
    09-28-15 04:47 PM
    Yes it has
    And see, this is what I have trouble comprehending. How did Blackphone get google services while using a forked version of android, yet BlackBerry couldn't without going full android? Boggles my mind

Posted via CB10
    09-28-15 06:24 PM

Am hoping the Priv eats Silent Circle for lunch :-D
    I hope not. Because of non-technical reason some people may prefer one to other. For example I guess Dalai Lama would prefer BlackBerry but Edward Snowden would prefer Silent Circle.

Posted via CB10/BB PP SE.
    09-28-15 06:47 PM
    Review: Silent Circle Blackphone 2 | WIRED

If you open up the “Security Center” settings panel on the Blackphone 2, you’ll see more options for each app. A lot more, often nine or 10 permissions settings for a single app. The Blackphone’s version of Android can do this because rather than just showing you the settings the app developer chooses to expose, the OS does an audit of an app’s code during installation. Silent Circle can uncover all of the different bits of data and pieces of hardware the app wants to access, delivering what is essentially a super-menu that lets you toggle every last possible permission.

Some of the finds are surprising, like the social networking app that wants the ability to access and delete your phone’s call log, or the fact that almost every app, even the most basic of utilities, wants to see your contacts. Most of the permissions sliders are meant to protect your privacy and to keep your phone secure, but some are just downright useful. I took great joy in disabling apps’ abilities to access the phone’s vibrate function, get raw location in the background, or to keep the screen awake. Putting every last possible setting in one place is a very sane approach to permissions management; such direct sunlight should be the norm.
    jope28, dusanvn and joyride like this.
    09-28-15 11:00 PM
    There is carrier support as rogers has always supported blackberry, and bell seems to be behind it as they had the leak, and feature a women using the passport on their plan brochures.

Posted via CB10
    How soon we forget....

Rogers to sell new BlackBerry Z30 after customer backlash | Financial Post

Rogers reverses decision after backlash, says it will sell BlackBerry Z30 | CTV News

Rogers flip-flops on BlackBerry Z30 after backlash - Business - CBC News

BlackBerry snubbed at home as Rogers decides not to sell newest model - The Globe and Mail

Sure, they did sell the Z30, but they had to be convinced.

~TheRealFixxxer
    jope28 likes this.
    09-28-15 11:43 PM
    I hope not. Because of non-technical reason some people may prefer one to other. For example I guess Dalai Lama would prefer BlackBerry but Edward Snowden would prefer Silent Circle.
    You're saying people considered criminals in the east are ok with BlackBerry, but people considered criminals in the west would prefer silent circle? Sure, you may have a point, the official "we have zero knowledge and cannot even help the police" stance Silent Circle has looks pretty tempting to criminals. (Not that I want BlackBerry to have any knowledge about their users activities.)
    dusanvn likes this.
    09-29-15 02:45 AM
    Doesn't really matter what they price it at compared to the BP II. The Priv will have modern OS the BP II is based on droid 4.2 so you might as well keep your BB device or whatever you're running and last time it took 5 min to hack it so how secure is it?
    Just to clarify - it didn't take 5 minutes to hack. The stories were incorrect. Additionally, the build hacked was already out-of-date, with that particular exploit fixed.

Source: the guy who did the hack.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-15 03:07 AM
    I second what bakron1 said
    Hopefully they price it competitively

This phone will be a huge seller for BB if the price is right!
    09-29-15 03:49 AM

Posted via CB10/BB PP SE.
    It's two different use cases.

Silent Circle has a focus on secure, more or less non-traceable communications (user privacy, minimize metadata), whereas BlackBerry wants to protect data on the device and in transit (data privacy, minimize risk of exposure)

Very close, but different.
    My description here might not be the best... :-)

(someone help clarify?)

�   Forget the name, ... Priv it on! :-)   �
    09-29-15 04:15 AM
    It's two different use cases.

Silent Circle has a focus on secure, more or less non-traceable communications (user privacy, minimize metadata), whereas BlackBerry wants to protect data on the device and in transit (data privacy, minimize risk of exposure)

Very close, but different.
    My description here might not be the best... :-)

(someone help clarify?)

•   Forget the name, ... Priv it on! :-)   •
    I see your point. I just want to point out that beside technical consideration (like yours) there could be also other non-technical one, to prefer one to other.
    09-29-15 04:54 AM
    You're saying people considered criminals in the east are ok with BlackBerry, but people considered criminals in the west would prefer silent circle? Sure, you may have a point, the official "we have zero knowledge and cannot even help the police" stance Silent Circle has looks pretty tempting to criminals. (Not that I want BlackBerry to have any knowledge about their users activities.)
    'Criminal' would not be my choice of word unless I thought criminals exist only among citizens and governments are absolutely non-corrupted -- i.e. free of criminals. West vs East would not be my choice of word for differentiation as I think e.g. India belongs to the East. My point came from what I know about Phil Zimmermann (prior to Silent Circle) and Mike Lazaridis (prior to his resignation at BlackBerry). True, no companies want to disclose customer's data to governments but sometime they can't withstand the pressure. So, as a user, I'd like to see multiple alternatives.

Basically, you see my point. Thanks.
    09-29-15 05:09 AM
    re: Google Services
    Yes it has
    The BlackPhone has now google services and the play store right
    Hum ... kinda if I read it correctly (warning: update date = March 2015).
    This will probably be the case for Apps in their own store (Android for work only ?), but not 100% for alternatives.
    https://support.blackphone.ch/custom...lackphone-use-

At the same time, some apps may not function correctly or may "stop" (crash) because of the changes we've made for privacy and security reasons, or the Google services we've omitted.*
    09-29-15 07:57 AM
    I believe OP is right. Blackphone is priced quite accurately and Priv by BlackBerry should stay in the same area.

But at the end of the day ... I'm glad if they sell a bunch of units to enterprises ...

Android based Blackphone 2 for 0, Blackberry Pay Attention!!!!-capture.png
    Blacklatino, undone and ayngling like this.
    09-29-15 08:09 AM
    I read that there will be a built in link to Ashley Madison with a free lifetime subscription. Serious, who needs this much privacy? You want privacy, stay off the Internet and pay only in cash...
    JRF_1986 likes this.
    09-29-15 08:55 AM
    This is more niche than BlackBerry by far. First, there is no carrier support at all. The hardware is not as good as the Priv. I'm really curious how the Priv stacks up to this though in the security/privacy setup. One thing I read about the BlackPhone 2 that was interesting was how it handles the different profiles, and it was mentioned it was like a hypervisor. I don't know if that is true at all, but it brings it back to what BB could do with the Priv (or future Android devices) using the QNX Hypervisor underneath it. Clearly Silent Circle has made some fundamental changes to Android on their phone, yet still has Google Play services. This bodes well for the kind of things BlackBerry can do too.
    rthonpm likes this.
    09-29-15 09:59 AM
    I read that there will be a built in link to Ashley Madison with a free lifetime subscription. Serious, who needs this much privacy? You want privacy, stay off the Internet and pay only in cash...
    Quite true. It borders on parania for many BB10 diehards. Or really, if they were honest with themselves, they just don't wanna change and are grasping at straws to justify why Blackberry shouldn't be making an Android device.

But then again.... some people have jobs where they have to communicate to the other person on the other end of the line the drop off points for several hundred kilos of product....
    09-29-15 10:57 AM
    'Criminal' would not be my choice of word unless I thought criminals exist only among citizens and governments are absolutely non-corrupted -- i.e. free of criminals.
    Hence me saying "people considered criminals in the east" and "people considered criminals in the west", I didn't have to make any statement about what I personally feel, only how they might be viewed by people where they operate.
    09-29-15 11:30 AM
71 123