I just noticed the secure Android Blackphone 2 is being sold now in North America for $799.00 US, It has virtually the same specs as the new Priv, but minus the slide down keyboard. I sure hope the marketing folks up there in Waterloo price the new Priv accordingly ($600-700 US) price range so it's competitive?
    09-28-15 11:22 AM
    i actually dont think it'll be any more than the passport was at launch.
    09-28-15 11:25 AM
    Without carrier support, who's going to buy it? Most corporate buyers purchase bulk devices from carriers since they know they're getting a degree of support for the product and can also get a lower price point per device. I doubt they'll get the same pricing, or support, from Silent Circle.
    09-28-15 11:26 AM
    No Google Play, right?
    09-28-15 11:32 AM
    No Google Play, right?
    Yes it has
    09-28-15 11:33 AM
    Yes it has
    Good for them... the first one didn't, which made it pretty much useless.

Anyway, I fully agree with the OP, it really cannot be any more than this. Hopefully a lot cheaper.
    Edrian Villa likes this.
    09-28-15 11:34 AM
    i actually dont think it'll be any more than the passport was at launch.
    Thats what I am hoping for.
    09-28-15 11:36 AM
    Without carrier support, who's going to buy it? Most corporate buyers purchase bulk devices from carriers since they know they're getting a degree of support for the product and can also get a lower price point per device. I doubt they'll get the same pricing, or support, from Silent Circle.
    There is carrier support as rogers has always supported blackberry, and bell seems to be behind it as they had the leak, and feature a women using the passport on their plan brochures.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-15 11:38 AM
    The CNET article http://www.cnet.com/products/blackphone-2/ says:

"Is this a hack-proof phone? It's not and it doesn't pretend to be, said Javier Aguera, Silent Circle chief scientist..."

And then threw a jab at BlackBerry saying that it gives governments its users' data sometimes lol

Am hoping the Priv eats Silent Circle for lunch :-D

Attachment 373495

 Frosty White Q10/10.3.2.2639 CB10 
    Last edited by jope28; 09-28-15 at 12:13 PM.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    09-28-15 11:40 AM
    There is carrier support as rogers has always supported blackberry, and bell seems to be behind it as they had the leak, and feature a women using the passport on their plan brochures.
    He was talking about Silent Circle, not BlackBerry. Hopefully there will be plenty of carrier support for the Priv.
    rthonpm likes this.
    09-28-15 11:40 AM
    I could not agree more!
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    09-28-15 11:41 AM
    Well, I cannot think of who is not like the Priv it is one size fit all virtual/physical keyboard combination. Plus, it is more secure than any Android OEM. If they price it right, I'm sure they will sale millions.
    09-28-15 11:55 AM
    Here's a decent description of the phone at Forbes:
    Forbes Welcome

Anything can be hacked, the question is how fast will they be in fixing it. To say that BB's have absolutely ZERO security flaws is an outright error or lie.
    09-28-15 12:09 PM
    Doesn't really matter what they price it at compared to the BP II. The Priv will have modern OS the BP II is based on droid 4.2 so you might as well keep your BB device or whatever you're running and last time it took 5 min to hack it so how secure is it?
    09-28-15 12:09 PM
    The CNET article Silent Circle Blackphone 2 review - CNET says:

"Is this a hack-proof phone? It's not and it doesn't pretend to be, said Javier Aguera, Silent Circle chief scientist..."

And then threw a jab at BlackBerry saying that it gives governments its users' data sometimes lol

Attachment 373495

This is simply NOT true with BES and BlackBerry has said this all along. Whoever is saying this is spreading WRONG information. The only thing that was opened up were BIS servers which were mainly for consumers.

Regarding the OP, I believe BlackBerry needs to charge A LOT of money on BlackBerry 10 phones, not the Priv. BlackBerry 10 phones, when used with BES, are the crown jewel of security and they should be charging a heck of a lot more for them, especially if BlackBerry 10 is going to become the choice of governments and regulated industries while Priv and other Android phones are geared at consumers and those who need good enough security.
    joyride likes this.
    09-28-15 12:17 PM
    Doesn't really matter what they price it at compared to the BP II. The Priv will have modern OS the BP II is based on droid 4.2 so you might as well keep your BB device or whatever you're running and last time it took 5 min to hack it so how secure is it?
    BP II is actually based on Android 5.1.1 according to the Forbes article linked on this thread.

09-28-15 12:19 PM
    The BlackPhone has now google services and the play store right
    09-28-15 12:20 PM
    Good for them... the first one didn't, which made it pretty much useless.

Anyway, I fully agree with the OP, it really cannot be any more than this. Hopefully a lot cheaper.
    The first one was a fork - this seems to be modified android via kernel and hardware so would qualify.
    09-28-15 12:22 PM
    The first one was a fork - this seems to be modified android via kernel and hardware so would qualify.
    So...this phone runs Google?

cgk, Ealaionta, lift and 3 others like this.
    09-28-15 12:27 PM
    So...this phone runs Google?

We can only confirm that if the CEO comes out to demo it and fails to open chrome.
    09-28-15 12:33 PM
    BP II is actually based on Android 5.1.1 according to the Forbes article linked on this thread.

GSMarena and silent circle says otherwise I would trust them over a forbes link that doesn't work.
    09-28-15 12:51 PM
    GSMarena and silent circle says otherwise I would trust them over a forbes link that doesn't work.
    https://support.silentcircle.com/cus...pecifications-
    Jakob Greve likes this.
    09-28-15 12:59 PM

It has to ear for lunch, dinner, breakfast, 10x a day.... Even the Blackberry Leap probabily as sold more
    09-28-15 01:08 PM
    You're incorrect, my good sir.

CNET has reviewed the device and also says that it's running 5.1.1
    And they were interviewing the main security "scientist" on the Silent Circle team during this article.
    http://www.cnet.com/products/blackphone-2/

Attachment 373504

Last edited by jope28; 09-28-15 at 02:20 PM.
    techvisor likes this.
    09-28-15 01:44 PM
    The Forbes link works.
    Forbes Welcome
    "One of my personal favourite additions, though, is the Smarter Wi-Fi service. Most users have little idea that simply leaving their smartphone’s Wi-Fi on can reveal much about them, constantly disclosing what routers they’ve connected to in the past. Any hacker who collects that data – a rather simple task – can use crowdsourced Wi-Fi SSID location services like Wigle to map users’ lives. Blackphone 2, by default, stops broadcasting that information after a given period when the device is not connected to a trusted access point. That timeframe can be changed, from between 30 seconds and two minutes. This is a simple addition that goes a good way to offering more privacy."

Both CNET and Forbes have actually examined the phone in their own hands. More reviews will be coming from other media outlets in the next couple of weeks.
    09-28-15 01:50 PM
71 123