I'm confused. Are you talking about MM or Nougat? Android 7.0 is Nougat.
    11-18-16 10:17 AM
    Seems doubtful that it is now. What do others think?
    11-30-16 04:05 PM
    Certainly do hope that Nougat will arrive at Priv. And I hope it'll finally fix the battery and overheating issue.
    Q likes this.
    12-02-16 01:22 PM
    Well considering its BlackBerry's Flagship phone right now, Android N will definitely come eventually. Obviously "When" is the real question.

Posted Via BlackBerry Noble OS 10.3.3
    Since the last marshmallow update took 5-6 months to release on priv I think it may take a while . But they r trying to push the updates in most of the flagship devices that too not older than 2 years ,+BlackBerry is kinda new to this android world ...so let's give them time and hope it releases in the next few weeks
    01-02-17 09:16 PM
    Since the last marshmallow update took 5-6 months to release on priv I think it may take a while . But they r trying to push the updates in most of the flagship devices that too not older than 2 years ,+BlackBerry is kinda new to this android world ...so let's give them time and hope it releases in the next few weeks
    Exactly!, they are brand new to the game so its kinda expected for them to be a little slower than other OEMs that have been doing it for years. If they bring Android N to the DTEK and PRIV around March ill be happy. But anything in the April and May range wouldn't be great.
    01-03-17 10:44 AM
    I'll take April or May
    I'd prefer today, but.....................................
    01-03-17 11:44 AM
    Back in September 2016, I asked BB Support on Twitter (private message). I've pasted (and cleaned up) the message thread below. Make of it what you will. Non-committal yet just enough to give hope, or perhaps, get you to buy.

My only fear is that BB sold their soul to TCL. The Priv is not one of TCL's own. How much effort are TCL going to realistically put into keeping the Priv up-to-date? I guess only time will tell.

If Marshmallow is where it ends for the Priv, I'll probably use it until Autumn this year (2017) and then get rid. I'll also never return to Blackberry with Android again.

My unsubstantiated, gut-feeling is that the Priv WILL get Nougat. But I'd be surprised if it was before the 2nd quarter of 2017. Probably summer.

As for Android O or anything beyond that, I severely doubt it. The 808 processor and 3GB of RAM would be more than capable, I'm sure. But I suspect it's not in the industry's best interests to go against the built-in two-year obsolescence it's gotten us used to. Not to mention the sealed batteries (ahem).

------------------------------------------------------------------
    Twitter conversation:

Me to BB:

Hi. How many OS updates will BB provide for the Priv?

BB to me:

Hello! Thank you for your interest. The updates will always depend on the release provided by Google. ^MDW

Me to BB:

Thanks for your reply. Do you think the Priv device will get Android Nougat?

BB to me:

It will depend on Google if they decide to have the OS available for other models. What we can assure you is that we will work on satisfying our customers by providing the latest devices available. ^MDW

Me to BB:

Thanks, MDW.

"What we can assure you is that we will work on satisfying our customers by providing the latest *devices* available"

Did you mean 'updates' rather than 'devices' there? It didn't make sense in the context of our discussion

BB to me:

Yes that is correct it should have read updates. I can't speak to future updates beyond what is already said, however you can follow the Inside BlackBerry Blog ( Inside BlackBerry | The Official BlackBerry Blog ) where we have news about all things BlackBerry including software updates. ^MJH
    01-05-17 05:44 PM
    Soon, to unlocked devices.
    01-06-17 04:28 PM
    I had to take out a loan to buy mine.
    This is problematic for me! Lol hmm hmm hmm, not isolating you specifically just using your own admission to make my point. Just stop and think about that for a second, where have we gone and where are we going. This consumerism is so mind blowing, we need loans for cellphones now! Wow!! Sometimes I just sit back and observe.....I'm quite certain I'm from an alien race lol.

Posted via CB10
    01-06-17 06:36 PM

My only fear is that BB sold their soul to TCL. The Priv is not one of TCL's own. How much effort are TCL going to realistically put into keeping the Priv up-to-date? I guess only time will tell.
    You must have missed what these licensing agreements are all about. TCL has no responsibility for the software. BlackBerry still controls, develops and updates the OS.
    01-06-17 06:55 PM
    This is problematic for me! Lol hmm hmm hmm, not isolating you specifically just using your own admission to make my point. Just stop and think about that for a second, where have we gone and where are we going. This consumerism is so mind blowing, we need loans for cellphones now! Wow!! Sometimes I just sit back and observe.....I'm quite certain I'm from an alien race lol.

Posted via CB10
    Stateside, most people have been taking out loans for years to buy phones. It was, and is just called a contract.
    Ecm, gebco and andy957 like this.
    01-07-17 05:06 AM
    Stateside, most people have been taking out loans for years to buy phones. It was, and is just called a contract.
    A contract is not the same thing as a bank loan.
    01-07-17 05:13 AM
    Soon, to unlocked devices.
    How do you know? :P
    andy957 likes this.
    01-07-17 06:55 AM
    Loan, contract, subsidizing, blackmail -- any of these may be applicable when discussing devices from carriers, depending on your point of view.

But enough about that. Let's get back on topic, please.
    andy957 likes this.
    01-07-17 07:25 AM
    I'm on the fence when it comes to the Priv. Great prices are available at this point. At the other end we have the release of mercury which is not expected to cost $720 like the Priv when it was released. The other issue is that the Priv will likely be end of life soon. When that happens OS updates are unlikely to occur especially if you you don't get updates from Blackberry directly.

Posted via CB10
    01-07-17 07:46 AM
    I'm on the fence when it comes to the Priv. Great prices are available at this point. At the other end we have the release of mercury which is not expected to cost $720 like the Priv when it was released. The other issue is that the Priv will likely be end of life soon. When that happens OS updates are unlikely to occur especially if you you don't get updates from Blackberry directly.

Posted via CB10
    That's the decision you have to make. If you buy the Priv, buy it for what it can do today and for a price that seems reasonable. Buy it because you like a keyboard but one you can hide and use, instead, a large screen.

Any Mercury is probably going to cost more than a Priv although, it carriers offer contracts, that price might be lower. Then buy the Mercury for what it can do when it is released. Buy it for a permanently available keyboard and a smaller screen.

My Priv worked well on Lollipop. My only reason for wanting MM was so that I would have more control over Permissions and the fact that Verizon was not offering security updates without MM. Nougat does not seem to contain anything that I really need. So I'm not waiting impatiently for it.
    01-07-17 09:20 AM
    The other issue is that the Priv will likely be end of life soon. When that happens OS updates are unlikely to occur especially if you you don't get updates from Blackberry directly.

Posted via CB10
    I think BlackBerry falls into a completely different category when it comes to EOL with devices. They support their hardware for as long as it's physically possible for the specs. Take a look at the Q10... it's still receiving all the latest updates. That's 4 years of updates and there is still one more to come.

For that reason, I feel the PRIV will definitely get Nougat and if the 808 chip supports Android 'Oreo' it will get that to. I think the DTEK50 will be the first to be dropped. Because of the lower processor and storage capacity. Android takes nearly 10GB and I'm sure it will get bigger as the years go by.

Posted Via BlackBerry Q5
    FF22 and Q like this.
    01-07-17 09:29 AM
    Matty - I agree but it all depends where you get the updates from. I had a Q10 and T-mobile dropped the phone and updates. My friend has a Q10 and was still getting updates long after me from AT&T. The same thing happened with my Z10. T-mobile dropped it and that was then end of updates from them. I used an autoloader on the Z10. I now have a classic with T-Mobile and it will be interesting to see if they ever update it again.
    01-07-17 10:41 AM
    F22 - Completely agree..
    FF22 likes this.
    01-07-17 10:42 AM
    F22 - Completely agree..
    Same here. Not too anxious for Android 7. Marshmallow gives me control over permissions. Good enough for me.
    FF22 and andy957 like this.
    01-07-17 12:24 PM
    Matty - I agree but it all depends where you get the updates from. I had a Q10 and T-mobile dropped the phone and updates. My friend has a Q10 and was still getting updates long after me from AT&T. The same thing happened with my Z10. T-mobile dropped it and that was then end of updates from them. I used an autoloader on the Z10. I now have a classic with T-Mobile and it will be interesting to see if they ever update it again.
    Thats a good point you bring up. I should have stated that if you purchase a device Unlocked from Shop.Blackberry you will be in good hands for the longest. Carriers especially for me locally are very picky about which updates they release to devices and sometimes it only comes weeks or months after Shop.Blackberry devices. I think we all share that small hatred for carriers and their slow updates. hahah
    Who-cut-the-cheese likes this.
    01-07-17 01:29 PM
    How do you know? :P
    Here they say at the end of 2016, but since we are in 2017, It's safe to say it won't be long now until the update will be pushed to the unlocked devices, first.

LINK:

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/1376...ng-to-my-phone
    Last edited by DintisorAlb; 01-07-17 at 01:59 PM.
    Sigewif likes this.
    01-07-17 01:44 PM
    Here they say at the end of 2016, but since we are in 2017, It's safe to say it won't be long now until the update will be pushed to the unlocked devices, first.

LINK:

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/1376...ng-to-my-phone
    Good news. I have an unlocked Priv. Paying full price for it up front should include perks so I am glad if BlackBerry will take care of us in this way by releasing it to us first.
    01-07-17 02:14 PM

LINK:

When is Android 7.1.1 Nougat coming to my phone? - Pocket-lint
    Good link. I hope Blackberry follows through....
    01-07-17 02:15 PM
    Good link. I hope Blackberry follows through....
    They actually said: Early 2017 is probably more likely than the end of 2016.
    I'm waiting for the new update, it will make the Priv more faster, and the battery will last longer under the new software.
    hypersonic1990 likes this.
    01-07-17 02:20 PM
96 1234